This is an urgent plea! Take Action!

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture

The Arctic Ocean has never been drilled for oil, not even under George W. Bush.

But at the end of March, the Obama Administration approved Shell Oil's inadequate Spill Plan for the Beaufort Sea, and right now, Shell's Kulluk drilling rig is getting towed up the pacific coast.

This is the eleventh hour. Drilling in these pristine waters could begin as soon as this summer.

Before it does, President Obama still has to approve the final Permit to Drill, and a decision could come by the end of this month.

I just signed a petition telling the Obama Administration to save the Arctic Ocean from Oil Drilling. This is the last chance, please sign your name too:

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/save_the_arctic/?r_by=-2881632-P39zd0x&rc=paste1

Comments

LysanderSpooner
LysanderSpooner's picture
Who owns the Arctic Ocean?

Who owns the Arctic Ocean?

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
CONSIDERING THEY ARE PLANNING

CONSIDERING THEY ARE PLANNING ON DRILLING ALONG THE COAST OF ALASKA.........JUST WHO DO YOU THINK OWNS IT! COME ON DON'T ASK STUPID QUESTIONS!! THIS IS AN URGENT PLEA TO STOP A ECOLOGICAL DISASTER FROM HAPPENING & TO ASK THE PRESIDENT TO KEEP HIS PROMISES TO MOVE FORWARD WITH CLEAN ENERGY!

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
"The Arctic Ocean is prone to

"The Arctic Ocean is prone to hurricane-force storms, 20-foot swells, sea ice up to 25 feet thick, sub- zero temperatures and months-long darkness. There is no proven way to clean up an oil spill in these extreme conditions. What’s more, the Arctic has extremely limited infrastructure (there are no roads or deep water ports and only a handful of small airports) and the nearest Coast Guard station is 1,000 miles away," stated Shogan.

“We should not be gambling with the future of the Arctic Ocean. Oil drilling in this pristine wilderness means risking oil spills that can’t be cleaned up, and it means more dirty fuels adding to climate change — both of which threaten to destroy the Arctic forever,” added Sakashita.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION! THE CLOCK IS TICKING!

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
Environmentalists warn that

Environmentalists warn that the plan to drill in the Arctic is too dangerous. They point out that simulations, conducted a decade ago under Arctic conditions, show it’s nearly impossible to contain or recover a big oil spill in the Arctic. Heavy sea ice simply pushes its way right underneath booms.

And Eric Myers of the Audubon Society says the the Final Environmental Impact statement on drilling in Alaska’s Arctic Seas — written in 2007 by the U.S. Department of Interior — indicates that the probability of a spill in the Arctic is high.

According to Myers, the E.I.S states (for Lease Sale 193 in the Chukchi Sea)  that there’s a 40% risk of a “major” spill in the ocean during the drilling of the first billion barrels there.

Myers says that’s unacceptably high in view of the fact that there really is no such thing as a “clean-up” of a major spill. Clean-ups — like that of the Exxon Valdez in Alaska, and B.P’s Macondo Well in the Gulf — typically recover only 5 to 15% of the oil spilled.

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
This is a classic

This is a classic bait-and-switch,” Greenpeace’s executive director, Phil Radford, said. “Shell promises the E.P.A. — and by extension, the American people — anything that will allow it to get permits to drill the Arctic, and then at the last minute, Shell says it won’t abide by its agreement and wants the E.P.A. to issue watered-down permits with no process whatsoever.

“This is just one more in a litany of broken promises from Shell when it comes to drilling in the Arctic,” he said.

THE CLOCK IS TICKING...HAVE YOU SIGNED THE PETITION AND SENT IT ON TO OTHERS???

dhavid
Obama is a pawn and a

Obama is a pawn and a corporate shill. 10 million people signing the petition wouldn't sway him. Still, I will vote for him because Romney is an evil idiot.

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
I have been upset about his

I have been upset about his policies surrounding oil and gas drilling but that doesn't stop me from trying to do all I can to change things. Please sign the petition! We have had some victories.

rigel1
rigel1's picture
MrsBJLee wrote: The Arctic

MrsBJLee wrote:

The Arctic Ocean has never been drilled for oil, not even under George W. Bush.

But at the end of March, the Obama Administration approved Shell Oil's inadequate Spill Plan for the Beaufort Sea, and right now, Shell's Kulluk drilling rig is getting towed up the pacific coast.

This is the eleventh hour. Drilling in these pristine waters could begin as soon as this summer.

Before it does, President Obama still has to approve the final Permit to Drill, and a decision could come by the end of this month.

I just signed a petition telling the Obama Administration to save the Arctic Ocean from Oil Drilling. This is the last chance, please sign your name too:

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/save_the_arctic/?r_by=-2881632-P39zd0x&rc=paste1

MrsBJ.  Please, tell me whatever it is you are filling your gas tank with. If you have something better than oil than tell me where I can get some. Unless you are willing to give up everything and live in a cabin in the woods, then you need to stop complaining about oil. Because EVERYTHING that you do, own or eat is yours because of oil. If you have a better alternative, I want to know about it. I'll be the first to use it. We have only one option, and restricting it hurts everybody. Especially the poor.

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
I am NOT going to debate with

I am NOT going to debate with you! Maybe you don't care about clean air, water, wilderness & wildlife but I do and so do others on this board.

rigel1
rigel1's picture
MrsBJLee wrote: I am NOT

MrsBJLee wrote:

I am NOT going to debate with you! Maybe you don't care about clean air, water, wilderness & wildlife but I do and so do others on this board.

I do care. And I think you do as well. At this point we have only one option. And it's a crappy option. Too bad the goverment refuses to do anything to make hyper-mileage vehicles available to the general public. The government's only idea is too punish us for using oil. Well I don't deserve to be punished. And neither do you or the poor who will be crushed when the price of everything skyrockets.

I have the same goal as you. To get off of oil. But the population is growing, high mileage cars are not affordable and the feds do nothing. Demand is up. So what other options do we have?

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
Like I said in a previous

Like I said in a previous post, I do not wish to debate this with you because a debate could go on and on wasting too much time! I will say that if we don't start moving in the right direction we are dooming out planet and the civilization and wildlife that lives on it. With that said, we won't need to worry about the cars we drive or what ever else is made with oil.

There are options out there that our goverment and the oil companies try to keep from us. As long as big oil dollars can purchase political influence and buy up patents to kill them we will get no where fast but I won't go down without a fight for future generations. They deserve my best effort to leave them a habitable planet even if it means we change our way of living dramatically to accomplish it. Would I live in a cabin in the woods. YOU BET....if it would change the path we are on! But where I need to be now is sitting at this computer doing my best to make changes in every direction I see possible. The people of this planet are waking up and beginning to move in the right direction. Have some faith and try to be part of the solution. Quit being so negative and try to help make a change if you really do care!

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
Let's not forget to sign this

Let's not forget to sign this petition please!

dhavid
I signed it, Mrs. Lee. I

I signed it, Mrs. Lee. I appreciate your love of the wonderful life on our planet!

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT ON THIS ISSUE! I am so afraid they are going to ruin the pristine beauty of the Arctic region and kill the endangered wildlife there! I just can't believe this is even an issue that we have to fight! It seems like at every single turn the oil, gas and other mineral industry are biting at the bit to screw up our beautiful lands and in the process kill the wildlife that lives there, pollute the waters and air. I won't give up trying to stop this cancer from killing our beautiful planet. Thanks again for your kind words and support!

rigel1
rigel1's picture
MrsBJLee wrote: Like I said

MrsBJLee wrote:

Like I said in a previous post, I do not wish to debate this with you because a debate could go on and on wasting too much time! I will say that if we don't start moving in the right direction we are dooming out planet and the civilization and wildlife that lives on it. With that said, we won't need to worry about the cars we drive or what ever else is made with oil.

There are options out there that our goverment and the oil companies try to keep from us. As long as big oil dollars can purchase political influence and buy up patents to kill them we will get no where fast but I won't go down without a fight for future generations. They deserve my best effort to leave them a habitable planet even if it means we change our way of living dramatically to accomplish it. Would I live in a cabin in the woods. YOU BET....if it would change the path we are on! But where I need to be now is sitting at this computer doing my best to make changes in every direction I see possible. The people of this planet are waking up and beginning to move in the right direction. Have some faith and try to be part of the solution. Quit being so negative and try to help make a change if you really do care!

I am a realist. And reality is that the poor will be crushed by reducing our oil harvest. If you want to restrict it, then you must have an alternative to it. Nobody seems interested in finding a solution. The goverment MUST do something to make hyper-mileage vehilces available at a reasonable price. They have not. They have been asleep at the switch. Restricting our only real energy supply will do nothing but create misery. We need answers not punishment.

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
THE CLOCK IS TICKING......& I

THE CLOCK IS TICKING......& I DON'T WANT YOU TO FORGET TO SIGN THE PETITION!!