The Use of Language and How We Think

3 posts / 0 new

Thom Hartman should know as well as anyone that the way we use language reflects how we think and believe. The pervasive use of the terms "The TOP 1 %" and "The BOTTOM 99%" is a great example of this. Seems most of the people in America believe that the bottom-feeders, leeches, and carrion birds who have no morals and are guided by selfishness should be referred to as "The Top". Everybody else in "The Bottom". This irritates me. It is the BOTTOM one percent, the gluttonous and greedy amoral scum who are causing the problems for everyone else.

Sorry to break it to you, but not everyone uses how large a person's off-shore bank account as the yardstick for how high up they have risen in ou society. Small farmers, teachers, janitors, and other regular people are the top 99%. The leeches are the bottom 1%. I would like to see our wrong use of language change.

The Real Matthew's picture
The Real Matthew

Comments

The top 1% merely refers to their income status or wealth not that they are inherently superior human beings. But if your point is language is rarely neutral, containing in it hidden assumptions... you're correct. And lest we forget, language is the tool we use to deceive ourselves and others.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

I was taught that Language is a Virus.

anonymous green

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.