Video: "What's the Economy for Anyway?" (2009)

4 posts / 0 new

David Batker from Earth Economics offers a systems approach, the economy in relation to health and nature.

Economies don't grow but are transformed. Our economic measurements focus on stuff.

to watch the 63 minute video "What's the Economy for Anyway? A Tragic Comedy in 13 Acts" (2009), click on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw1cmsQFxdQ

demandside's picture
demandside

Comments

That was a compilation of all the truths that anyone with a sense of curiousity, or knowledge seeking quality should already know, but don't. I don't know why he split into 1 segments, youtube can handle 10 minute bites at a time. Another problem with speaking the truth is that you get labeled antiAmerican, or America hating by the ignorant souls that buy into the myth and contribute to further destruction and suffering.

He also traces the collapse to about the time of the Powell memo, and manifested through Reagan. I have conducted a 6 degrees of Reagan exercise tracing all ills, social and economic to Reagan. He appointed Scalia, and Sandy, kept Cheney in the loop, afforded HW advancement which begat Thomas which gave us the coup. Pensions started dying [except for executives], debt exploded, usuary became normal even heralded as a goal. Prisons bacame business, funded by gov't. Fascists like gov't/business collaboration.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

I've never seen Demandside post a link that wasn't worth clicking on.

He's really sort of a marvel in that respect.

The one above is particularly entertaining and informative at the same time. I've re-posted it elsewhere on these threads.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

I forgot to say thanks myself.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.