Why are the stars upside down on the Republican Party's elephant?

12 posts / 0 new

This is in reference to a question asked by Thom (in the past) and most recently last Friday, 20-Jul-2012.

I had been thinking about that a few months ago and had wandered around the Internet looking for an explanation. I looked at a lot of different uses of the five-pointed star on flags and emblems. That's when a possible explanation struck me.

The five-point star graphically has no symmetry -- there is a definite up and down. However, if it is rotated 72°, let's say clockwise, it would appear upside down even though that was not the intent of the graphic artist. Rotate another 72° and the star appears upright and so forth.

Perhaps the explanation is less sinister, which is unfortunate since I enjoy the diabolic explanation so much. Perhaps the star was advanced 72° clockwise to make the star appear to be rakishly moving forward, like Hannibal's war elephants terrifying and crushing the enemy. Ok, I got carried away there.

In any case, the simplest explanation may be a clockwise rotation of the five-pointed star. I saw several other non-Satanic examples of that technique in my brief research.

Is this an Occam's Razor moment or am I just blowing smoke?

fleuryb's picture
fleuryb

Comments

And the Stars will Spin

But the meek still win

Now and Then

We will walk free again

I said Now and Then

We will walk free again

anonymous green

I was thinking the other day about this and wondered if the MOTIVATION for it has parallels to the adapatation of the Skull and Crossbones symbol by the Nazi SS.

Wikipedia:

SS-Totenkopfverbände (SS-TV), meaning "Death's-Head Units",[2] was the SS organization responsible for administering the Nazi concentration camps for the Third Reich.

The SS-TV was an independent unit within the SS with its own ranks and command structure. It ran the camps throughout Germany, such as Dachau and Buchenwald; in Nazi-occupied Europe, it ran Auschwitz in German occupied Poland and Mauthausen in Austria as well as numerous other concentration and death camps. The death camps' primary function was genocide and included Treblinka, Bełżec extermination camp and Sobibor. It was responsible for facilitating what was called the Final Solution, known since as the Holocaust, in collaboration with the Reich Main Security Office[3] and the SS Economic and Administrative Main Office or WVHA.

At the outbreak of WWII one of the first combat units of the Waffen-SS, the SS Division Totenkopf, was formed from SS-TV personnel. It soon developed a reputation for ferocity and fanaticism, participating in several war crimes such as the Le Paradis massacre in 1940 during the Fall of France and the murder of Russian civilians in Operation Barbarossa.

While the Totenkopf (English: Death's Head) was the universal cap badge of the SS, the SS-TV also wore the insignia on the right collar to distinguish itself from other SS units.

Erik300's picture
Erik300
Quote Erik300:

I was thinking the other day about this and wondered if the MOTIVATION for it has parallels to the adapatation of the Skull and Crossbones symbol by the Nazi SS.

Wikipedia:

SS-Totenkopfverbände (SS-TV), meaning "Death's-Head Units",[2] was the SS organization responsible for administering the Nazi concentration camps for the Third Reich.

The SS-TV was an independent unit within the SS with its own ranks and command structure. It ran the camps throughout Germany, such as Dachau and Buchenwald; in Nazi-occupied Europe, it ran Auschwitz in German occupied Poland and Mauthausen in Austria as well as numerous other concentration and death camps. The death camps' primary function was genocide and included Treblinka, Bełżec extermination camp and Sobibor. It was responsible for facilitating what was called the Final Solution, known since as the Holocaust, in collaboration with the Reich Main Security Office[3] and the SS Economic and Administrative Main Office or WVHA.

At the outbreak of WWII one of the first combat units of the Waffen-SS, the SS Division Totenkopf, was formed from SS-TV personnel. It soon developed a reputation for ferocity and fanaticism, participating in several war crimes such as the Le Paradis massacre in 1940 during the Fall of France and the murder of Russian civilians in Operation Barbarossa.

While the Totenkopf (English: Death's Head) was the universal cap badge of the SS, the SS-TV also wore the insignia on the right collar to distinguish itself from other SS units.

too dark, off topic... excuse me Duane, I'm due back on planet Earth.

fleuryb's picture
fleuryb
Quote fleuryb:

Haha-I think its a matter of DEGREE (right now). Upside down stars may not have the same punch as the skull and crossbones, but there is something going on there. Baby steps for now.

Erik300's picture
Erik300
Quote Erik300:
Quote fleuryb:

Haha-I think its a matter of DEGREE (right now). Upside down stars may not have the same punch as the skull and crossbones, but there is something going on there. Baby steps for now.

I acknowlege your laughter and heave a sigh of relief.

Even more interesting, every one of those nasty Nazis along with their death's head insigia on their collars, on their belt buckles the motto was "Gott mit uns" or "God with us." They really were a religious lot, Catholic mostly.

fleuryb's picture
fleuryb

I think the inverted 5-point star looks like an "M" which stands for "Mammon" which they worship.

chilidog

I thought this was a new elephant joke.

Why are the stars upside down on the Republican Party's elephant?

They're not upside down, just overdrawn.

leighmf's picture
leighmf
Quote fleuryb:

Even more interesting, every one of those nasty Nazis along with their death's head insigia on their collars, on their belt buckles the motto was "Gott mit uns" or "God with us." They really were a religious lot, Catholic mostly.

That just isn't true, on several levels.

Check out this "fair and balanced" website:

http://jesuswouldbefurious.org/Catholic/NaziLeadership.html

"To kill ten million other people, Hitler needed millions of helpers. He didn't get those helpers from some planet in outer space like Mars. He got about two thirds of them from the two thirds of Germans who belonged to the Protestant churches and the other third from the third of Germans who identified themselves as Roman Catholics."

chilidog

Gee whiz, kids, can we ever really know what a Nazi is, or was, or even which direction a star should be pointed, or even where the star is going and why it would choose to be on what a number of blind men have proved philosophically to be anything, or everything?

Every picture tells two stories, or five or ten.

We shouldn't make any assumptions or connections about anything, ever, and simply wait for our reward in Heaven, like good Germans would.

Just follow orders.

I order you to stop thinking about anything other than that.

Wait for your orders and then follow them.

Otherwise, watch TV and have another drink, and don't skip the commercials, you might not get the latest disease, and what's worse is you won't get the cure without it.

anonymous green

i heard a republican explain once, may have been on thom's show. that the elephant was, in one draft representation, "rampant" i.e. reared up on its hind legs. therefore, they rotated the stars to be upright while the elephant was rampant. when they put the elephant back on 4 legs, they didn't , for some unknown reason, re-position the stars. With a party that can spell America "Amercia", I think its possible.

harry ashburn

I'm guessing the GOP logo's upside-down stars isn't a satanic reference, but meant to symbolize an upside-down American flag, which is supposed to be an official signal of distress. Here's a right-wing website's take on this:

http://www.jeffhead.com/liberty/flagdistress.htm

johnsawyer's picture
johnsawyer

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.