Why do people vote for Republicans?

17 posts / 0 new

This is a question Thom asks all the time, but why again do people vote for Republicans, especially when we consider their record on jobs? It is absolutely baffling. Read the full take at www.chuckingrocks.com and please comment, or better yet, get a conservative friend to comment.

chuckingrocks

Comments

There are more issues than just job creation. The republicans champion religion, guns, small government (lol), less spending and taxation, etc. It's very much like advertising to a certain demographic. You have to advertise the fact that you represent what the voter finds important to them. Most of it is of course BS from both sides of the aisle. Just like any other commercial you see, the product you buy isn't nearly as good as advertised.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote chuckingrocks:

This is a question Thom asks all the time, but why again do people vote for Republicans, especially when we consider their record on jobs? It is absolutely baffling. Read the full take at www.chuckingrocks.com and please comment, or better yet, get a conservative friend to comment.

And People say propaganda is dead....

Capital.0's picture
Capital.0
Quote Bush_Wacker:

There are more issues than just job creation. The republicans champion religion, guns, small government (lol), less spending and taxation, etc. It's very much like advertising to a certain demographic. You have to advertise the fact that you represent what the voter finds important to them. Most of it is of course BS from both sides of the aisle. Just like any other commercial you see, the product you buy isn't nearly as good as advertised.

Hey BW, I can agree with at least some of this. Republicans are in favor of small government, but I can understand the left's claim of hypocracy when the very same Republicans who want to cut Medicare, Medicaid, Unemployment, etc, etc, want governemnt bailouts for failing businesses. I agree you can't have it both ways.

And you are right on the money when you say there is a whole bunch of BS from both sides. It is really sad that the American public puts up with these liars!

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58

Why do people give money to confidence men?

Grand Canceler's picture
Grand Canceler

Sone buy into the "small government" mantra. They don't get that a big nation has big problems...that can't be solved by a government the size of Honduras,

Then there are the one issue voters. Give them at least lip service to their cause, and they don't mind the money and incomes of Main Street being re-directed as quickly as possible to Wall Street. It's off their radar.

There are lots of reasons why people vote to establish neo-feudalism...and most have no clue that's what they are doing.

Wealth distribution in this country more and more resembles that of Medieval Europe,..not that of a democracy.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

FEAR, & SNEERING. Sneering is one of the most outward manifestations of loathing. It's also one of the most effective combinations used by any politicos in their incessant urgings to keep us from making an inch of progress.I know this quite well because I used to be a GOPer.

I decided life was too precious to be wasted on living fear-dominated lives. And that's when I took the most pro-life step in my life by getting the hell away from the GOP.

Steven.PBarrett
Quote Steven.PBarrett:

I decided life was too precious to be wasted on living fear-dominated lives. And that's when I took the most pro-life step in my life by getting the hell away from the GOP.

LMAO... you guys crack me up...

Capital.0's picture
Capital.0

I think you would have to be a complete idiot to vote for any con running for national office after seeing what their policies have done to this country since ronny rayguns trickle down economic shit was sold to the public as the latest greatest way to run this country. Vodoo economics is another way to describe it.....Millions are still waiting for their piece of the trickle down scam....You would think after 30 years it would have gotten to them by now.....

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

You will call me a knuckle dragging mouth breather or some other inflammatory thing because I say this but I am pretty happy with my position in life and have multiple degrees.

I would vote 3rd party if there was a better choice but since I have only 2 choices, I tend to vote GOP because:

· I respect individual liberties. I don’t want to tell anyone how to live their lives and I expect the same respect in return.

· I believe in a morale code you find antiquated, out dated, and corny.

· I believe in personal accountability.

· I believe in a form of freedom where government is constrained from trampling on personal rights, property rights, and privacy.

· I believe in teaching my kids morals and values that I believe are important.

· I think public education has failed future generations (largely because of government oversight)

· I believe it’s the power of government that corrupts, not the money used to influence that power. Lobbyists would not buy politicians if they had no power to influence business and personal affairs.

· I think all Americans are created equal, and entitled to life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness. Happiness is neither a right nor guaranteed.

· I believe in American exceptionalism.

· I still say the Pledge of Allegiance and stand with my hat off during the National Anthem.

· I believe in empowering people to succeed, not making them slaves to public/federal funding.

These are a few of the reasons why I am NOT voting for Obama.

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

sheep4thom's picture
sheep4thom

That's a nice list you have there but it's a shame your party doesn't practice what they preach to the sheep to get elected......which is most of the stuff you posted....Plenty of examples exist on the internet for each one too.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

Why do people vote for republicans? Because we are stuck with two crappy choices. We can vote for a greedy, rich, power hungry, self serving, blowhard with a D behind his name. Or we can vote for a greedy,rich, power hungry, self serving, blowhard with an R behind his name. Neither one places anything above his party or himself.

The rich democrat claims to be anti rich.

The big spending republican claims to be anti goverment.

They are both liars. Public service my ass.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

The real question is who will do what.

The Republicans showed what they can do since the just about owned congress since 1998 and the presidency for 8 years. Plus they had the full backing of the corporate elite.

If everyone voted Republican, would the Republicans elliminate welfare and return the economy to Libertarianism? I doubt it. Would they bring about a continuation of the policies that have - since Reagan - led to the downfall of the country? i think you can bet on it.

As such, I think Democrats would be far supeiror - as I pointed out on another post on this same topic. They would overtax, sure. But at least the economy would be stable. We would have too many people going to school - but that too me is not necessarily a bad thing. If we kept the tarriffs that we had plus more (as a liberal Democrat power would suggest), we would be driving around inferior computers and using expensive computers - but at least Americans would be making them.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

The GOP held both chambers of Congress from 1995 to 2006 (the Senate being 50-50 with V.P. Cheney in 2001, until Littleboots publicly insulted Jim Jeffords when he reduced the tax cut by 4 bucks)

chilidog

Used to be a Democrat when there were fiscal and social conservatives in the party. The party of JFK is long gone. It has been taken over by liberals and progressives. I don't recognize it anymore. Now I am an Independent, leaning toward Libertarian. Don't like either party.

SaltoftheEarth
Quote SaltoftheEarth:

The party of JFK is long gone.

You haven't voted for a Democratic President since 1960?

chilidog
Quote SaltoftheEarth:Used to be a Democrat when there were fiscal and social conservatives in the party. The party of JFK is long gone. It has been taken over by liberals and progressives. I don't recognize it anymore. Now I am an Independent, leaning toward Libertarian. Don't like either party.

That sounded good when Obama was running, but to make that comment now seems ludicrous.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.