Working people in Spain are screwed

7 posts / 0 new

Spain is in the grips of unrest as the government tries to ram through the biggest austerity package in that nation’s history. Thousands of Spaniards took to the streets at the end of last week protesting a proposed $80 billion austerity package that slashes public worker benefits, raises the retirement age, and increases sales taxes, the most regressive of all taxes.

The crowd demanded that Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy resign – and that the government should go after transnational corporations that don’t pay taxes and the banksters who committed fraud, instead of targeting working people with austerity. With this round of spending cuts, Spain has officially committed itself to the downward spiral of economic collapse. Greece will have company.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

There are working people in Spain? Huh learn something new every day.

Commonsense461
Quote Commonsense461:

Wouldn't you just love to live in a fairy tale world where you work until you are about 50, then a magic money tree takes care of you for the rest of your life? And the magic money tree never dies or withers. It is always there. Ripe for the picking. I would be embarassed to constantly complain that some rich sugar daddy isn't taking care of me.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

You DO live in a fairy tale world.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

This isn't being paid back any time soon. Still ... as long as austerity is only for other poor suckers.

KennyMac's picture
KennyMac
Quote KennyMac:

You DO live in a fairy tale world.

A pretty broad statement for someong who has never met me. Please give me three examples from my fairytale life to back up your claim.

Tag. You're it.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Fairy Tale world is the USA rigel1. I assumed the enclosed link in my previous post suggested that. Apologies if you thought it was personal, although I hope your life is as much as fairy tale as you would want it to be

KennyMac's picture
KennyMac
Quote rigel1:
Quote Commonsense461:

Wouldn't you just love to live in a fairy tale world where you work until you are about 50, then a magic money tree takes care of you for the rest of your life? And the magic money tree never dies or withers. It is always there. Ripe for the picking. I would be embarassed to constantly complain that some rich sugar daddy isn't taking care of me.

Actually, the U..S. could do that. It produces $160,000 every year for each family of 4...working or not. Probably a lot of people would get bored if they retired at 50.

However, we have billion dollar bonuses to support. Translated, that equals 50 million pairs of shoes. Some must have closets as large as warehouses.

Spain too, has an elite to maintain. Cut the working man and channel remaining resources to finance and banking. . It makes sense from the perspectives of some..

Maybe when the $650 TRILLION invested in global derivatives reaches $900 TRILLION, economies will recover.The top needs every penney to make it happen. LOL

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

First Columbia took on their drug lords, now they're taking on their billionaires...why can't we?

America’s billionaires are driving this nation’s poverty epidemic. But it doesn’t have to be that way.

As we speak, working-class Americans are getting screwed over by policies that favor the wealthy elite, and leave everyone else in the dust. As a result, more and more Americans are living in poverty.