67 years ago

18 posts / 0 new

67 years ago today the United States dropped an atomic bomb over the city of Hiroshima, followed by a second three days later. The decision to use these weapons ended the war with Japan. It was the best thing to do at that time!

Marlin60

Comments

Well that sums it all up!

Case closed, except that you should be forced to kiss the poisoned ashes of the dead, like a humiliated prometheus, eternally, for being brainwashed enough to sum it up that way.

Let's hear your explanation of Dachau.

anonymous green

The extermination of Jew and others in the Nazi camps was pure evil. Would like to see you explain the Rape of Nanking and Comfort Women.

Marlin60

America had no need to drop these bombs,there was at the time in private, discussions about the Japanese surrender !!! Some historians in America know of this !!

Was it not all about revenge for pearl harbour?How much did revenge really play a part?

The best thing humanity could do with these weapons is take then of the children and then get rid of the rest of them to the dustbin of history.

Namaste

humanitys team's picture
humanitys team

After FDR's death, Empire wasted no time in getting to work on dismantling all of the wise changes he brought into the US government policies and economy, and all of the internal protections against fascism that he had created. The first job was to get rid of his brilliant, patriotic Vice President, Henry Wallace, who would have continued developing the policies of FDR, and install easy puppet Harry S. Truman.

Japan had already let the USA know that it was surrendering. That unnecessary killing of two entire cities full of citizens was done to announce to the world that Empire was to be feared.

Here is a good explanation of that time.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

There is a difference between conditional and unconditional surrender. Should the allies have negotiated with Hitler? The Japanese were a fierce foe and were guilty of horrific atrocities during the war. Talk to some one from South Korea about the war time Japanese. If you have forgotten your history, Japan attacked the US. The point of war is to destroy your enemy. Are you people so naive to think the Japanese would not have used an atomic weapon on the US if they could. Please, get a clue.

Marlin60

Marlin, it is you being obtuse. We have more time and more evidence of what was really under consideration, etc. What you are spouting is the war propaganda version of history, and I have no love for the Japanese Empire. Demonizing them or thinking that they were demon-possessed creatures who could not understand "diplomacy" or "negotiations" does not square with the Japanese people we know today. There were opponents to the war party in Japan. There were negotiations going on in Washington while the bombs were being loaded up and flown on their fateful mission.

It is also true that our European focussed DCworld thought less of Japanese lives than they did of Europeans, even Germans. There, it was clearly "the Nazis' with lots of innocent Germans or "feeling powerless" sheep. In Japan, it was the whole bloody national cult. Emperor worship, as if He were divine! There is no talking to that kind of fanaticism. Or so the propaganda went. And, they had a very European message to send by way of Asia.

How do you tell Stalin that he is only a junior partner in the New World Order of Allied Supremacy? You show the ability to blow away any opponent just as Russia is turning toward Asia after defeating Hitler. The history of the Cold War is not the betrayal of the alliance by Russia. It is the commitment among the other allied powers to limit the "Communist" threat to their industrialists and financeers. In the face of their clear desire to subvert him and "the revolution," Stalin goes into traditional "spheres of influence" imperial buffering as a new "czar." He had every reason to fear rather than trust his "allies."

The imperial military strategy imposed to defend America from "godless Communism" made any issues of democracy mute. Free speech and conscience were circumscribed and remain so today. The "S" word is no longer an honoarble label with an honorable American tradition. Now it is "European" as I suppose that horrid "liberty and justice for all" radicalism must also be.

The more important history is about oil and its control. It is what made Japan attack Pearl Harbor and us to give a damn about what they did to some Chinese people. It is what most of WWII in Asia was about and what all of the carving up of the Ottoman Empire was about. It is what gave us the Shah in Iran. It is what having all those military bases around the world is all about, and it is why the taxpayers of America pay an amazing amount more than any other nation on militarism.

I don't care if another nation might have used the atomic bomb had they had it instead of us. I will stipulate that any nation might well have used it had they been the ones to develop it. In the real world we are the ones and nobody else is being asked about Hiroshima and Nagasaki for good reason. The issue is not that I or others are out to prove that Americans are some deeply evil people rather than to accept that even "good old we" have done terrible things both by accident and with full intention.

Certainly not with full understanding, but that is what the fog of war does. Not with sane and rational assessment of the other, particularly with any willingness to find a human resolution instead of imposing a violent solution. What people do in the name of the Right is far worse than what anyone does knowing it is Wrong. The Cold War is a testimony to American Hubris and Power overcoming sanity and any sensible use of diplomacy or peacemaking. We finally force the Commies to submit to the Chicago School.

Tear Down that Free Market Myth! The New Berlin motto.

drc2

The Japanese we know today were born of the defeat of WWII, do you really think if a negotiated peace allowing them to keep some of there empire would have been a better outcome? Stalin, how many millions died under his rule? Please learn a little more history! How many were killed under Mao. If you think communism is some benign political ideal, you are beyond hope of being reached by truth or reason.

Marlin60

Well that's pretty simple. We should just nuke all of our enemies and kill billions. The hell with austerity measures, there won't be anybody left to spend money on. That would eliminate all of those other countries who dare to run their countries in a different manner than we do. I vote Marlin for President! No really, you gotta run.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Bush_Wacker, what the hell are you talking about? This comment is idiotic, as most of yours are. When you can not make a good argument, make some absurd one. I will be happy to accept your donation.

Marlin60

You claim that killing millions of civilians was the best thing to do at that time. I disagree. We didn't have to do that to beat Germany. We didn't have to do that to beat Sadam. We didn't need to do that to defeat Japan. You call me idiotic for caring for human life? What in the hell are you talking about?

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

They're talking about hell, and explaining why it had to be sent to Japan.

I come and stand at every door
But no one hears my silent prayer
I knock and yet remain unseen
For I am dead, for I am dead
Im only seven although I died
In hiroshima long ago
Im seven now as I was then
When children die they do not grow
My hair was scorched by swirling flame
My eyes grew dim my eyes grew blind
Death came and turned my bones to dust
And that was scattered by the wind
I need no fruit I need no rice
I need no sweets nor even bread
I ask for nothing for myself
All that I ask for is for peace
You fight today, you fight today
So that the children of this world
May live and grow and laugh and play
Written by n.hikmet

With many thanks to the Byrds

anonymous green

I was talking about the atomic bombs that killed less civilians that the Rape of Nanking did. Hitler killed millions in orderly camps. Chamberlain, tried to appease Hitler, did not work too well. Millions were killed by Stalin and Mao without war, just killing own citizens. What the hell does Saddam have to do with WWII. I call your comments idiotic, not your concern for human life. You are just a little too naive to understand how messy and complicated the real world can be. Reality is different than theory. If you have some theory on how WWII could have been different, please share.

Marlin60
Quote Marlin60:

I was talking about the atomic bombs that killed less civilians that the Rape of Nanking did. Hitler killed millions in orderly camps. Chamberlain, tried to appease Hitler, did not work too well. Millions were killed by Stalin and Mao without war, just killing own citizens. What the hell does Saddam have to do with WWII. I call your comments idiotic, not your concern for human life. You are just a little too naive to understand how messy and complicated the real world can be. Reality is different than theory. If you have some theory on how WWII could have been different, please share.

Possibly Tommy the Cork shouldn't have lied to Roosevelt, then we would not have sent so much money to the fascists in Spain.

Just a theory, mind you.

anonymous green

Since many of you who contributed to this thread are so confident in your opposition to the use of atomic bombs against Japan, I have a suggestion. Take a trip to the WWII memorial in Washington DC and talk to some of the veterans and tell then that they should have just fought a little longer.

Marlin60
Quote Marlin60:

Since many of you who contributed to this thread are so confident in your opposition to the use of atomic bombs against Japan, I have a suggestion. Take a trip to the WWII memorial in Washington DC and talk to some of the veterans and tell then that they should have just fought a little longer.

I come and stand at every door
But no one hears my silent prayer
I knock and yet remain unseen
Im only seven although I died
In hiroshima long ago
Im seven now as I was then
When children die they do not grow
My hair was scorched by swirling flame
My eyes grew dim my eyes grew blind
Death came and turned my bones to dust
And that was scattered by the wind
I need no fruit I need no rice
I need no sweets nor even bread
I ask for nothing for myself
All that I ask for is for peace
You fight today, you fight today
So that the children of this world
May live and grow and laugh and play
Written by n.hikmet

anonymous green

I am in agreement with Chris Hedges on this one:

"On this day in 1945 the United States demonstrated that it was as morally bankrupt as the Nazi machine it had recently vanquished and the Soviet regime with which it was allied. Over Hiroshima, and three days later over Nagasaki, it exploded an atomic device that was the most efficient weapon of genocide in human history. The blast killed tens of thousands of men, women and children. It was an act of mass annihilation that was strategically and militarily indefensible. The Japanese had been on the verge of surrender. Hiroshima and Nagasaki had no military significance. It was a war crime for which no one was ever tried. The explosions, which marked the culmination of three centuries of physics, signaled the ascendancy of the technician and scientist as our most potent agents of death."

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_science_of_genocide_20120806/

Why are you so hyped up about genocide, Marlin?

dhavid

By any standards of decency, a simple detonation in international waters as an example to Japan's top ten scientists would have assured an unconditional surrender. The decision to instantaneously incinerate more than two hundred-thousand civilians with only two bombs, and kill even thousands more from fallout and radiation poisoning over the next few decades, was entirely a war crime.

No one was ever brought up on charges because history is written by the winners, and the winners in this case were so anxious and curious to see what these bombs could do that it wasn't even doubtful that they would be used.

And why do people only defend the use of nuclear weapons around the anniversary of the Japanese bombings? Why not all the time? If using nuclear weapons ended the war with Japan, then using nuclear weapons should end the war with Afghanistan, too, right? So let's just erase Kabul and Jalalabad with two bombs, and bring our troops home. Right?

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

Currently Chatting

Can Democrats Set Out a New Path?

Democrats must embrace a pro-government platform, not run away from it.

Those were the sentiments of Senator Chuck Schumer today, in a speech given at the National Press Club. Talking about the reasons for Democrats’ losses on Election Day, Schumer said that those losses were proof that the American people and middle-class want a government that will work more effectively for them.