70 Facts about the US Economy

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/the-u-s-economy-by-the-numbe...

The following are 70 facts that Barack Obama does not want you to see....

$3.59 - When Barack Obama entered the White House, the average price of a gallon of gasoline was $1.85.  Today, it is $3.59.

22 - It is hard to believe, but today the poverty rate for children living in the United States is a whopping 22 percent.

23 - According to U.S. Representative Betty Sutton, an average of 23 manufacturing facilities permanently shut down in the United States every single day during 2010.

30 - Back in 2007, about 10 percent of all unemployed Americans had been out of work for 52 weeks or longer.  Today, that number is above 30 percent.

32 - The amount of money that the federal government gives directly to Americans has increased by 32 percent since Barack Obama entered the White House.

35 - U.S. housing prices are now down a total of 35 percent from the peak of the housing bubble.

40 - The official U.S. unemployment rate has been above 8 percent for 40 months in a row.

42 - According to one survey, 42 percent of all American workers are currently living paycheck to paycheck.

48 - Shockingly, at this point 48 percent of all Americans are either considered to be "low income" or are living in poverty.

49 - Today, an astounding 49.1 percent of all Americans live in a home where at least one person receives benefits from the government.

53 - Last year, an astounding 53 percent of all U.S. college graduates under the age of 25 were either unemployed or underemployed.

60 - According to a recent Gallup poll, only 60 percent of all Americans say that they have enough money to live comfortably.

61 - At this point the Federal Reserve is essentially monetizing much of the U.S. national debt.  For example, the Federal Reserve bought up approximately 61 percent of all government debt issued by the U.S. Treasury Department during 2011.

63 - One recent survey found that 63 percent of all Americans believe that the U.S. economic model is broken.

71 - Today, 71 percent of all small business owners believe that the U.S. economy is still in a recession.

80 - Americans buy 80 percent of the pain pills sold on the entire globe each year.

81 - Credit card debt among Americans in the 25 to 34 year old age bracket has risen by 81 percent since 1989.

85 - 85 percent of all artificial Christmas trees are made in China.

86 - According to one survey, 86 percent of Americans workers in their sixties say that they will continue working past their 65th birthday.

90 - In the United States today, the wealthiest one percent of all Americans have a greater net worth than the bottom 90 percent combined.

93 - The United States now ranks 93rd in the world in income inequality.

95 - The middle class continues to shrink - 95 percent of the jobs lost during the last recession were middle class jobs.

107 - Each year, the average American must work 107 days just to make enough money to pay local, state and federal taxes.

350 - The average CEO now makes approximately 350 times as much as the average American worker makes.

400 - According to Forbes, the 400 wealthiest Americans have more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans combined.

$500 - In some areas of Detroit, Michigan you can buy a three bedroom home for just $500.

627 - In 2010, China produced 627 million metric tons of steel.  The United States only produced 80 million metric tons of steel.

877 - 20,000 workers recently applied for just 877 jobs at a Hyundai plant in Montgomery, Alabama.

900 - Auto parts exports from China to the United States have increased by more than 900 percent since the year 2000.

$1580 - When Barack Obama first took office, an ounce of gold was going for about $850.  Today an ounce of gold costs more than $1580 an ounce.

1700 - Consumer debt in America has risen by a whopping 1700% since 1971.

2016 - It is being projected that the Chinese economy will be larger than the U.S. economy by the year 2016.

$4155 - The average American household spent a staggering $4,155 on gasoline during 2011.

$4300 - The amount by which real median household income has declined since Barack Obama entered the White House.

$6000 - If you can believe it, the median price of a home in Detroit is now just $6000.

$10,000 - According to the Employee Benefit Research Institute, 46 percent of all American workers have less than $10,000 saved for retirement, and 29 percent of all American workers have less than $1,000 saved for retirement.

49,000 - In 2011, our trade deficit with China was more than 49,000 times larger than it was back in 1985.

50,000 - The United States has lost an average of approximately 50,000 manufacturing jobs a month since China joined the World Trade Organization in 2001.

56,000 - The United States has lost more than 56,000 manufacturing facilities since 2001.

$85,000 - According to the New York Times, a Jeep Grand Cherokee that costs $27,490 in the United States costs about $85,000 in China thanks to all the tariffs.

$175,587 - The Obama administration spent $175,587 to find out if cocaine causes Japanese quail to engage in sexually risky behavior.

$328,404 - Over the next 75 years, Medicare is facing unfunded liabilities of more than 38 trillion dollars.  That comes to $328,404 for each and every household in the United States.

$361,330 - This is what the average banker in New York City made in 2010.

440,00 - If the federal government began right at this moment to repay the U.S. national debt at a rate of one dollar per second, it would take over 440,000 years to totally pay it off.

500,000 - According to the Economic Policy Institute, America is losing half a million jobs to China every single year.

2,000,000 - Family farms are being systematically wiped out of existence in the United States.  According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the number of farms in the United States has fallen from about 6.8 million in 1935 to only about 2 million today.

$2,000,000 - At this point, the U.S. national debt is rising by more than 2 million dollars every single minute.

2,600,000 - In 2010, 2.6 million more Americans fell into poverty.  That was the largest increase that we have seen since the U.S. government began keeping statistics on this back in 1959.

5,400,000 - When Barack Obama first took office there were 2.7 million long-term unemployed Americans.  Today there are twice as many.

16,000,000 - It is being projected that Obamacare will add 16 million more Americans to the Medicaid rolls.

$20,000,000 - The amount of money the U.S. government was spending to create a version of Sesame Street for children in Pakistan.

25,000,000 - Today, approximately 25 million American adults are living with their parents.

40,000,000 - According to Professor Alan Blinder of Princeton University, 40 million more U.S. jobs could be sent offshore over the next two decades if current trends continue.

46,405,204 - The number of Americans currently on food stamps.  When Barack Obama first entered the White House there were only 32 million Americans on food stamps.

88,000,000 - Today there are more than 88 million working age Americans that are not employed and that are not looking for employment.  That is an all-time record high.

100,000,000 - Overall, there are more than 100 million working age Americans that do not currently have jobs.

$150,000,000 - This is approximately the amount of money that the Obama administration and the U.S. Congress are stealing from future generations of Americans every single hour.

$2,000,000,000 - The amount of money that JP Morgan has admitted that it will lose from derivatives trades gone bad.  Many analysts are convinced that the real number will actually end up being much higher.

$147,000,000,000 - In the U.S., medical costs related to obesity are estimated to be approximately 147 billion dollars a year.

295,500,000,000 - Our trade deficit with China in 2011 was $295.5 billion.  That was the largest trade deficit that one country has had with another country in the history of the planet.

$359,100,000,000 - During the first quarter of 2012, U.S. public debt rose by 359.1 billion dollars.  U.S. GDP only rose by 142.4 billion dollars.

$454,000,000,000 - During fiscal 2011, the U.S. government spent over 454 billion dollars just on interest on the national debt.

$1,000,000,000,000 - The total amount of student loan debt in the United States recently surpassed the one trillion dollar mark.

$1,170,000,000,000 - China now holds approximately 1.17 trillion dollars of U.S. government debt.  Yet the U.S. government continues to send them millions of dollars in foreign aid every year.

$1,600,000,000,000 - The amount that has been added to the U.S. national debt since the Republicans took control of the U.S. House of Representatives.  This is more than the first 97 Congresses added to the national debt combined.

$5,000,000,000,000 - The U.S. national debt has risen by more than 5 trillion dollars since the day that Barack Obama first took office.  In a little more than 3 years Obama has added more to the national debt than the first 41 presidents combined.

$5,000,000,000,000 - What the real U.S. budget deficit in 2011 would have been if the federal government had used generally accepted accounting principles.

$11,440,000,000,000 - The total amount of consumer debt in the United States.

$15,734,596,578,458.59 - The U.S. national debt as of June 7, 2012.

$200,000,000,000,000 - Today, the 9 largest banks in the United States have a total of more than 200 trillion dollars of exposure to derivatives.  When the derivatives market completely collapses there won't be enough money in the entire world to fix it.

Comments

anonymous green
Here are my 30 responses, and

Here are my 30 responses, and one to grow on:

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

xxx my l*l

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
You forgot one important

You forgot one important fact.  The first day Obama was officially in office the country was in a full blown recession.  We were losing thousands of jobs a day and there were 2 full blown wars in progress.  There was a housing bubble about to burst that had been growing for years.  The auto industry was on the verge of total collapse and the banking industry was under water.  Other than that he had a wonderful economy to work with at the beginning.  LOL

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
So three years letter we are

So three years letter we are deeper in debt, and still have a ruined economy.   Its flat now but wait and see what happens before November elections.   The October suprise is going to be where the economy is heading. 

Do you know Obama through the labor secretary is warning defense companies to NOT lay off workers, eventhough sequestration hits the military the hardest?    The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, also known as the WARN Act require 60 day notification of impending layoffs, yet the Labor Secretary is telling them they dont need to follow federal statutes.   Why?  Because if you back up 60 days prior to Jan 2, you are a few days before the election.   Last thing Obama wants is several thousand highly educated defense contractors getting pink slips.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-30/firms-facing-federal-cuts-shoul...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/07/31/sequestration-layoffs

anonymous green
The economy is going where

The economy is going where the Bush poison pills sent it.

The republican obstructionists are there to make sure America stays in the sewer Bush flushed us into.

Y'all can simply XXX my American l*l.

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
Bush, Bush, Bush, give me a

Bush, Bush, Bush, give me a break!   Get some new schtick, the Bush punch line is getting OLD.   So the current administration, which had both houses of Congress and the white house was powerless?    The Dems have the Senate that has not passed a budget in over THREE years.   Bush has NOTHING to do with that.  

anonymous green
Bush has everything to do

Bush has everything to do with you, your philosophies, and America's money, which is not gone, it's just been hidden in the pockets of the profiteers.

As y'all hand it over, you'll be required to X every American l*l as you leave the courtroom.

And mine.

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
So you wish to steal money

So you wish to steal money from people for your own desires?

What do you do for a living?  How pathetic is your life that you must live off the money and wealth of others?   Are you a leech?

anonymous green
Where's America's largest

Where's America's largest surplus ever?

Sucked away by leeches feeding at the public trough of fascism.

X my destitute l*l with your flimsy excuses for phliosophy.

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
Not going to answer what you

Not going to answer what you do for a living?   Do you produce anything but CO2?  Watch out, Obama can regulate that too!

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
sheep4thom wrote: Bush, Bush,

sheep4thom wrote:

Bush, Bush, Bush, give me a break!   Get some new schtick, the Bush punch line is getting OLD.   So the current administration, which had both houses of Congress and the white house was powerless?    The Dems have the Senate that has not passed a budget in over THREE years.   Bush has NOTHING to do with that.  

Bush gave us the Greatest Recession since the Great Depression, and you don't know why.

You don't know what Obama should have done.

He kept your stinking tax cuts, and his increase in government spending is the lowest.

But wait, I am repeating myself with another post you did not respond to. You are an insicere political hack.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
sheep4thom wrote: 35 - U.S.

sheep4thom wrote:

35 - U.S. housing prices are now down a total of 35 percent from the peak of the housing bubble.

RIght. You want prices as high as they were in the Bubble?

Your list is innane.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
sheep4thom wrote: So you wish

sheep4thom wrote:

So you wish to steal money from people for your own desires?

What do you do for a living?  How pathetic is your life that you must live off the money and wealth of others?   Are you a leech?

Well, I am arguing - and I think most Democrats - to raise taxes to the levels they were historically, when we had so much success as a nation.

What really pisses you guys off is that we cut taxes and regulations and the nation went to hell. And now you want more of the same.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
anonymous green

anonymous green wrote:

SleepAThon has a habit of not answering points like these, and then resorts to personal attacks.

I think he is a paid political hack. He is probably one of the worse here. Far worse than LysanderSpooner, Rigel1, Jerod, and the famous Truth To Power.

anonymous green
Dr. Econ wrote: anonymous

Dr. Econ wrote:

anonymous green wrote:

SleepAThon has a habit of not answering points like these, and then resorts to personal attacks.

I think he is a paid political hack. He is probably one of the worse here. Far worse than LysanderSpooner, Rigel1, Jerod, and the famous Truth To Power.

This is the quandry facing America today. Arguing incessantly over this or that with Manchurian Americans, brainwashed from birth to destroy the country from within, with a flag and a cross, is a wasteful drain of energy.

They can simply kiss my ass, from now on, I wouldn't waste another word.

The good guys are coming.

anonymous green
The red, right wing has been

The red, right wing has been poisoned by the language virus.

The only cure is a 60% inheritance tax, retrograde to the burning of the American Reichstag and the birth of Homerland, an ugly country that the entire free world despised.

The dregs of the Bushes, the Reagans. and the Nixons can kiss my ass for what they did to a great Country.

Redwing
Redwing's picture
The day the democrats took

The day the democrats took over was not January 22, 2009, it was actually January 3rd 2007 the day the Democrats took over the House of Representatives and the Senate, at the very start of the 110th Congress.

The Democrat Party controlled a majority in both chambers for the first time since the end of the 103rd Congress in 1995.

For those who are listening to the liberals propagating the fallacy that everything is "Bush's Fault", think about this:
January 3rd, 2007 was the day the Democrats took over the Senate and the Congress. At the time:

The DOW Jones closed at 12,621.77
The GDP for the previous quarter was 3.5%
The Unemployment rate was 4.6%

George Bush's Economic policies SET A RECORD of 52 STRAIGHT MONTHS of JOB GROWTH
Remember the day...

January 3rd, 2007 was the day that Barney Frank took over the House Financial Service s Committee and Chris Dodd took over the Senate Banking Committee.

The economic meltdown that happened 15 months later was in what part of the economy?
BANKING AND FINANCIAL SERVICES!

Unemployment... to this CRISIS by (among MANY other things) dumping 5-6 TRILLION Dollars of toxic loans on the economy from YOUR Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac FIASCOES!

Bush asked Congress 17 TIMES to stop Fannie & Freddie - starting in 2001 because it was financially risky for the US economy.

And who took the THIRD highest pay-off from Fannie Mae AND Freddie Mac? OBAMA
And who fought against reform of Fannie and Freddie?
OBAMA and the Democrat Congress
So when someone tries to blame Bush..

REMEMBER JANUARY 3rd, 2007.... THE DAY THE DEMOCRATS TOOK OVER!"
Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democrat Party.

Furthermore, the Democrats controlled the budget process for 2008 & 2009 as well as 2010 &2011.
In that first year, they had to contend with George Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases.

For 2009 though, Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid bypassed George Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep government running until Barack Obama could take office. At that time, they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the 2009 budgets.

And where was Barack Obama during this time?  He was a member of that very Congress that passed all of these massive spending bills, and he signed the omnibus bill as President to complete 2009.

If the Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in five years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that, Democrats in Congress took control of spending, and that includes Barack Obama, who voted for the budgets.

If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself. In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is I inherited a deficit that I voted for and then I voted to expand that deficit four-fold since January 20th.

A better option

http://www.jillstein.org/

al3
al3's picture
Redwing wrote: The day the

Redwing wrote:

The day the democrats took over was not January 22, 2009, it was actually January 3rd 2007 the day the Democrats took over the House of Representatives and the Senate, at the very start of the 110th Congress.

The Democrat Party controlled a majority in both chambers for the first time since the end of the 103rd Congress in 1995.

For those who are listening to the liberals propagating the fallacy that everything is "Bush's Fault", think about this:
January 3rd, 2007 was the day the Democrats took over the Senate and the Congress. At the time:

REMEMBER JANUARY 3rd, 2007.... THE DAY THE DEMOCRATS TOOK OVER!"
Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democrat Party.

Furthermore, the Democrats controlled the budget process for 2008 & 2009 as well as 2010 &2011.
In that first year, they had to contend with George Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases.

For 2009 though, Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid bypassed George Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep government running until Barack Obama could take office. At that time, they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the 2009 budgets.

And where was Barack Obama during this time?  He was a member of that very Congress that passed all of these massive spending bills, and he signed the omnibus bill as President to complete 2009.

If the Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in five years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that, Democrats in Congress took control of spending, and that includes Barack Obama, who voted for the budgets.

If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself. In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is I inherited a deficit that I voted for and then I voted to expand that deficit four-fold since January 20th.

A better option

Nice cut and paste.  Like I haven't seen this one 42 times already.

But tell me, how can Bush/Cheney set the 8 years of groundwork for killing of Bin Laden and therefore and be responsible for that, with Obama having little to do with it, while Obama's totally responsible for the melted economy that Bush/Cheney set the 8 years of groundwork for?

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
Dont confuse anonymous with

Dont confuse anonymous with any real data.   Annoying green has an ass infatuation and wants to share it with everyone.   They seem much more interested in their ass then anything intelligent.  

Redwing
Redwing's picture
Obama ran on the promise that

Obama ran on the promise that he would fix the economy. He has had three years. Are you are saying he was not aware of how bad it was and he should have fired all those who misinformed him of the situation after he got into office, or is he just in way over his head and is now trying to divert everyones attention by attacking everything but the economy? As I see it nobody loves their reflection in the mirror more than Obama.

A better option

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
sheep4thom wrote: So three

sheep4thom wrote:

So three years letter we are deeper in debt, and still have a ruined economy.   Its flat now but wait and see what happens before November elections.   The October suprise is going to be where the economy is heading. 

Do you know Obama through the labor secretary is warning defense companies to NOT lay off workers, eventhough sequestration hits the military the hardest?    The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, also known as the WARN Act require 60 day notification of impending layoffs, yet the Labor Secretary is telling them they dont need to follow federal statutes.   Why?  Because if you back up 60 days prior to Jan 2, you are a few days before the election.   Last thing Obama wants is several thousand highly educated defense contractors getting pink slips.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-30/firms-facing-federal-cuts-shoul...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/07/31/sequestration-layoffs

Look back in history and tell me when we weren't "deeper in debt" than the last administration.  WE all know why the economy is still in the tank.  If you want to get a President out of office just start laying off workers and don't rehire.  Force austerity measures on governments local and federal.  It's a tough pill for many companies to swallow but they know that in the long run they will make up for it.  There are some really good jobs bills out there that aren't going to be even considered until "after" the election and only if the "right guy" gets elected.  Then you'll see this sudden interest in Obama's jobs bill.  They'll tweak it here and there in order to be able to put their names on it but they'll essentially use the bill.

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
Your right on the bills being

Your right on the bills being held up.   The House has passed over a DOZEN jobs bills that Harry Reid killed with a pocket fillibuster or by refusing to bring them to the floor for debate.   Very democratic of him.

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
Redwing wrote: Obama ran on

Redwing wrote:

Obama ran on the promise that he would fix the economy. He has had three years. Are you are saying he was not aware of how bad it was and he should have fired all those who misinformed him of the situation after he got into office, or is he just in way over his head and is now trying to divert everyones attention by attacking everything but the economy? As I see it nobody loves their reflection in the mirror more than Obama.

A better option

Republicans took over DC on the promise of creating jobs.  They've had 2 years.  Are you saying that they were not aware of how hard it is to create jobs in the middle of a recession?  Are they way over their head and now trying to divert their ineptness by magnifying gas prices and everything else that has nothing to do with jobs?  I think that Boehner and McConnell love their reflections in the mirror more than Obama.

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
Hold Obama to his

Hold Obama to his promise...   "If I dont have this done in 3 years I will be a one term president".   Keep Obama honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCN5-ovvFL0

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
sheep4thom wrote: Your right

sheep4thom wrote:

Your right on the bills being held up.   The House has passed over a DOZEN jobs bills that Harry Reid killed with a pocket fillibuster or by refusing to bring them to the floor for debate.   Very democratic of him.

Have you ever read any of those jobs bills?  They were nothing more than tax cuts for employers.  Very creative of them.

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
How many jobs bills did the

How many jobs bills did the Senate pass?  Have to go look I used to have all the Bill #'s but it is easily over a DOZEN stimulus and jobs bills out of the House.   Most with bi-partisan support (dems in House voted for them).

Your view is NOTHING is better then trying something?

al3
al3's picture
Dr. Econ wrote: anonymous

Dr. Econ wrote:

anonymous green wrote:

I think Sheep is the old "liberalsyndrome."  Liberalsyndrome hasn't been here in awhile, and I recognize the chest-beating, "why can't everyone be as successful as ME!" worldview.  Maybe I'm wrong, but Sheep, are you "liberalsyndrome," and if so, were you kicked off?

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
I came to this site because

I came to this site because sometimes when I listen to Thom on the air, I feel sorry for his listners.   I have never heard so much carefully crafted propoganda in my LIFE.   There is a reason he is paid by Russia Today (RT), and its the fact they they LOVE his anti-American, anti-Capitalist rhetoric.   It suits their needs.  And all the angry disenfrancised pathetic people that follow him like sheep.   Hence my name.   I am here to shed light where there is darkness.

BTW,

Hold Obama to his promise...   "If I dont have this done in 3 years I will be a one term president".   Keep Obama honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCN5-ovvFL0

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
Once again I looked carefully

Once again I looked carefully at your list.  I don't one single thing on that list that can be attributed to any actions that Obama has taken except for the "projection" of the Obamacare impact.  If you are going to put blame for all of this on a man's shoulders then the least you can do is show how he is responsible for it.  Is that too much to ask?

anonymous green
sheep4thom wrote: I came to

sheep4thom wrote:

I came to this site because sometimes when I listen to Thom on the air, I feel sorry for his listners.   I have never heard so much carefully crafted propoganda in my LIFE.   There is a reason he is paid by Russia Today (RT), and its the fact they they LOVE his anti-American, anti-Capitalist rhetoric.   It suits their needs.  And all the angry disenfrancised pathetic people that follow him like sheep.   Hence my name.   I am here to shed light where there is darkness.

"I hope I'm not to messianic, or a trifle too satanic..." M Jagger (living)

A Monkey typing in Sheep's clothing will still only write King Edward Lear.

Unless he becomes so enraged at his own uselessness that he sheds bullets instead.

al3
al3's picture
Redwing wrote: Obama ran on

Redwing wrote:

Well you may as well include Teabag House members then, because they've been absolutely NO help.  Are you ready to vote them out too?

anonymous green
The hungry sheep look up, yet

The hungry sheep look up, yet are not fed, but swoln with wind, and the rank mist they draw, rot inwardly, and foul contagion spread...  Milton

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
The House passed over a DOZEN

The House passed over a DOZEN jobs bills  - Senate has sat on them and passed ZERO

The House passed MANY budget bills - The Senate has not passed a budget in THREE YEARS

al3
al3's picture
liberalsyndrome wrote: The

liberalsyndrome wrote:

The House passed over a DOZEN jobs bills  - Senate has sat on them and passed ZERO

The House passed MANY budget bills - The Senate has not passed a budget in THREE YEARS

Yeah right.  More money and deregulation to the "job creators."  Reread your list and tell me how that's worked out. 

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
You said Congress did

You said Congress did NOTHING.   I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.

Maybe you should rephrase the leftist talking point...   The Do nothing I wanted Congress?

anonymous green
sheep4thom wrote: You said

sheep4thom wrote:

You said Congress did NOTHING.   I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.You said Congress did NOTHING. I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.

What a spirited national debate! Someone call out for another drink, hopefully, the waiter will bring a tray.

al3
al3's picture
sheep4thom wrote: You said

sheep4thom wrote:

You said Congress did NOTHING.   I replied they have done ALOT & the Senate is stonewalling.

Maybe you should rephrase the leftist talking point...   The Do nothing I wanted Congress?

And Obama is the "Do nothing I wanted President," to you, right?

sheep4thom
sheep4thom's picture
He did a few things I

He did a few things I like.

Had the courage to let the Seals kill Bin Laden

He is a Bulls fan, saw him at game in DC.  

He signed an executive order stating that no federal funding could be used to pay for abortions, but then he ignored his own words and it wasnt worth the paper it was written on

Executive Order

- - - - - - -

ensuring enforcement and implementation of abortion restrictions in the patient protection and affordable care act

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the “Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act” (approved March ­­__, 2010), I hereby order as follows:

Section 1. Policy.

Following the recent passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“the Act”), it is necessary to establish an adequate enforcement mechanism to ensure that Federal funds are not used for abortion services (except in cases of rape or incest, or when the life of the woman would be endangered), consistent with a longstanding Federal statutory restriction that is commonly known as the Hyde Amendment. The purpose of this Executive Order is to establish a comprehensive, government-wide set of policies and procedures to achieve this goal and to make certain that all relevant actors—Federal officials, state officials (including insurance regulators) and health care providers—are aware of their responsibilities, new and old.

The Act maintains current Hyde Amendment restrictions governing abortion policy and extends those restrictions to the newly-created health insurance exchanges. Under the Act, longstanding Federal laws to protect conscience (such as the Church Amendment, 42 U.S.C. §300a-7, and the Weldon Amendment, Pub. L. No. 111-8, §508(d)(1) (2009)) remain intact and new protections prohibit discrimination against health care facilities and health care providers because of an unwillingness to provide, pay for, provide coverage of, or refer for abortions.

Numerous executive agencies have a role in ensuring that these restrictions are enforced, including the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).

Section 2. Strict Compliance with Prohibitions on Abortion Funding in Health Insurance Exchanges. The Act specifically prohibits the use of tax credits and cost-sharing reduction payments to pay for abortion services (except in cases of rape or incest, or when the life of the woman would be endangered) in the health insurance exchanges that will be operational in 2014. The Act also imposes strict payment and accounting requirements to ensure that Federal funds are not used for abortion services in exchange plans (except in cases of rape or incest, or when the life of the woman would be endangered) and requires state health insurance commissioners to ensure that exchange plan funds are segregated by insurance companies in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, OMB funds management circulars, and accounting guidance provided by the Government Accountability Office.

I hereby direct the Director of OMB and the Secretary of HHS to develop, within 180 days of the date of this Executive Order, a model set of segregation guidelines for state health insurance commissioners to use when determining whether exchange plans are complying with the Act’s segregation requirements, established in Section 1303 of the Act, for enrollees receiving Federal financial assistance. The guidelines shall also offer technical information that states should follow to conduct independent regular audits of insurance companies that participate in the health insurance exchanges. In developing these model guidelines, the Director of OMB and the Secretary of HHS shall consult with executive agencies and offices that have relevant expertise in accounting principles, including, but not limited to, the Department of the Treasury, and with the Government Accountability Office. Upon completion of those model guidelines, the Secretary of HHS should promptly initiate a rulemaking to issue regulations, which will have the force of law, to interpret the Act’s segregation requirements, and shall provide guidance to state health insurance commissioners on how to comply with the model guidelines.

Section 3. Community Health Center Program.

The Act establishes a new Community Health Center (CHC) Fund within HHS, which provides additional Federal funds for the community health center program. Existing law prohibits these centers from using federal funds to provide abortion services (except in cases of rape or incest, or when the life of the woman would be endangered), as a result of both the Hyde Amendment and longstanding regulations containing the Hyde language. Under the Act, the Hyde language shall apply to the authorization and appropriations of funds for Community Health Centers under section 10503 and all other relevant provisions. I hereby direct the Secretary of HHS to ensure that program administrators and recipients of Federal funds are aware of and comply with the limitations on abortion services imposed on CHCs by existing law. Such actions should include, but are not limited to, updating Grant Policy Statements that accompany CHC grants and issuing new interpretive rules.

Section 4. General Provisions.

(a) Nothing in this Executive Order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect: (i) authority granted by law or presidential directive to an agency, or the head thereof; or (ii) functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b) This Executive Order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c) This Executive Order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity against the United States, its departments, agencies, entities, officers, employees or agents, or any other person.

THE WHITE HOUSE,

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/03/21/90781/obamas-executive-order-on-abortion.html#storylink=cpy

anonymous green
  Read more here:

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/03/21/90781/obamas-executive-order-on-abortion.html#storylink=cpy

Hidden link above cannot be edited out. Response cancelled. X my l*l. Over and out.

chilidog
sheep4thom wrote: 35 - U.S.

sheep4thom wrote:

35 - U.S. housing prices are now down a total of 35 percent from the peak of the housing bubble

U.S, housing prices per square foot have been declining since the second quarter of 2005. Yahoo Business News Story of the Year for 2006 was the collapsing real estate market.  Most of the decline occurred before 2009.

chilidog
sheep4thom

sheep4thom wrote:

$1,600,000,000,000 - The amount that has been added to the U.S. national debt since the Republicans took control of the U.S. House of Representatives.  This is more than the first 97 Congresses added to the national debt combined.

$150,000,000 - This is approximately the amount of money that the Obama administration and the U.S. Congress are stealing from future generations of Americans every single hour.

$2,000,000 - At this point, the U.S. national debt is rising by more than 2 million dollars every single minute.

$359,100,000,000 - During the first quarter of 2012, U.S. public debt rose by 359.1 billion dollars.  U.S. GDP only rose by 142.4 billion dollars.

$1,170,000,000,000 - China now holds approximately 1.17 trillion dollars of U.S. government debt.  Yet the U.S. government continues to send them millions of dollars in foreign aid every year.

Thank you Mr. Boehner.

chilidog
sheep4thom wrote: 50,000 -

sheep4thom wrote:

50,000 - The United States has lost an average of approximately 50,000 manufacturing jobs a month since China joined the World Trade Organization in 2001.

56,000 - The United States has lost more than 56,000 manufacturing facilities since 2001.

2016 - It is being projected that the Chinese economy will be larger than the U.S. economy by the year 2016.

627 - In 2010, China produced 627 million metric tons of steel.  The United States only produced 80 million metric tons of steel.

85 - 85 percent of all artificial Christmas trees are made in China.

$85,000 - According to the New York Times, a Jeep Grand Cherokee that costs $27,490 in the United States costs about $85,000 in China thanks to all the tariffs.

40,000,000 - According to Professor Alan Blinder of Princeton University, 40 million more U.S. jobs could be sent offshore over the next two decades if current trends continue.

And the solution offered by Romney, Boehner, Tea Party, George Bushes 1 and 2, the GOP since 1972, is... more of the same?

chilidog
sheep4thom wrote: 90 - In the

sheep4thom wrote:

90 - In the United States today, the wealthiest one percent of all Americans have a greater net worth than the bottom 90 percent combined.

93 - The United States now ranks 93rd in the world in income inequality.

350 - The average CEO now makes approximately 350 times as much as the average American worker makes.

400 - According to Forbes, the 400 wealthiest Americans have more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans combined.

$361,330 - This is what the average banker in New York City made in 2010.

I'd hate to see the GOP's beef with these figures.

Redwing
Redwing's picture
I would love to watch most of

I would love to watch most of the progressives complain about high prices if we stopped importing all products from China.  The American Printing paper manufactures won a small war a couple of years ago that put a tarriff on the importation of far eastern printing paper.  What did the American paper mills to?  They immediately raised their own prices bu the same amount as the tariff. Essentially reinstating the price advantage the import paper had.  Net result.  The printer still buys Chinese paper but pays 15% more for it. YOU get your magazine subscription raised by  a small amount and some people drop their subscriptions.  Advertising goes down people get laid off and so on.

This is one of the many mistakes Hartmann makes when he rolls up back in his all too often time machine and talks about U.S. manufacturing as if it is possible to redo without costs that people will not bear.

chilidog
Redwing wrote: January 3rd,

Redwing wrote:

January 3rd, 2007 was the day that Barney Frank took over the House Financial Service s Committee and Chris Dodd took over the Senate Banking Committee.

The economic meltdown that happened 15 months later was in what part of the economy?
BANKING AND FINANCIAL SERVICES!

There is an art to presenting facts out of context and to making intellectually dishonest arguments, as opposed to just posting bullshit, which you have not mastered.  You have not been paying attention to government/politics for very long, based on your assertions that there was a Tea Party in September 2008 and that the Democrats were the majority in Congress in 2006.

Now then,

15 months after January 2007 is... April 2008?  I don't know what that date represents.

Housing prices per square foot peaked just before Hurricane Katrina.  By election day November 2006 the housing collapse was in full force.  The credit markets seized up in August 2007; no new crazy loans were made after that.  The economy entered recesssion in December 2007.

chilidog
Redwing wrote: For those who

Redwing wrote:

George Bush's Economic policies SET A RECORD of 52 STRAIGHT MONTHS of JOB GROWTH
Remember the day...

Just to be clear, these are the glory years, 2001-2006, that the GOP wishes to return to?

doh1304
doh1304's picture
If I bothered to spend a few

If I bothered to spend a few hours on it I could make a few points about Sheep's list, but the truth is that he points out a fundamental truth - economically the Obama administration has been a failure. Now, that failure is a continuation of x years of failures (even the beloved Clinton would have ben 8 years of misery if it weren't for the dot com bubble) (you can start "x" pretty much whenever you want - 1980, 1973, 1964, it doesn't matter now) but to cut to the chase we are being forced to chose between 2 candidates - one thinks that he can fix the Titanic by playing "Little Dutch Boy" and stick his finger in the hole, and the other, who plans to drill more holes. Me, I find arguments promoting or denouncing either candidate quite uninteresting. 

al3
al3's picture
Redwing wrote: I would love

Redwing wrote:

I would love to watch most of the progressives complain about high prices if we stopped importing all products from China.  The American Printing paper manufactures won a small war a couple of years ago that put a tarriff on the importation of far eastern printing paper.  What did the American paper mills to?  They immediately raised their own prices bu the same amount as the tariff. Essentially reinstating the price advantage the import paper had.  Net result.  The printer still buys Chinese paper but pays 15% more for it. YOU get your magazine subscription raised by  a small amount and some people drop their subscriptions.  Advertising goes down people get laid off and so on.

This is one of the many mistakes Hartmann makes when he rolls up back in his all too often time machine and talks about U.S. manufacturing as if it is possible to redo without costs that people will not bear.

Well, if the U.S. wasn’t at a 60% artificial cost disadvantage, we’d have a lot of our manufacturing back, and that paper would be much more cost competitive, and we'd have American workers making it, reducing the unemployment or Medicaid you and I have to pay for unemployment and poverty.

It’s not “over-regulation,” it’s not “taxes too high,” it’s not “uncompetitive American workers,” it’s not “lack of education,” or any of that right wing pablum.  It’s a trading system that’s screwing the U.S. worker.

Per former U.S. Trade Commission Economist and CONSERVATIVE pundit Dr. Peter Morici, interview with Dylan Ratigan:

Dr. Peter Morici wrote:

Peter Morici: Well, let's look at tariffs. In the United States, our average tariff is maybe 2.5% or 3%. In China, it's more like 25%. Under the WTO agreements, which govern all trade internationally, developing countries are given special and deferential treatment. They're permitted to have higher tariffs, and they're permitted to not play by quite the same rules when it comes to the various codes that the WTO has.

Bottom line, China chisels on its currency. As a 40% undervalued currency, it spends $250 billion a year to keep it undervalued, and that floods our market with subsidized goods. So instead of having balanced trade where we buy those things they can make with their inexpensive labor, and we sell them things like Caterpillar tractors -- Caterpillar finds it more profitable to establish a tractor company over there.

So we lose jobs when we import, but we don't gain new jobs to replace them by exporting. So instead of having 5% unemployment, we have 10% unemployment.

I’ll bet we’d be making that paper,  competitively if we backed out of the WTO and called out China on currency cheating.  And I’ll be the first to say that Obama has been a miserable disappointment in this area.

http://www.dylanratigan.com/2010/12/15/peter-morici/

drc2
If you don't want me to go

If you don't want me to go back and "blame Bush," let's just focus on GOPimp behavior with Obama.  In addition to an exceedingly nasty hate campaign against the American President for his being, not for his deeds, these slavish drones of Wall St. refused to vote for anything that might make Obama look good no matter how easy it was to see the advantage for the American people.  The stimulus was shrunk and burdened with unproductive tax cuts.  Obama settled for that, but he did not get what he is being blamed for.

Instead of well-deserved humility in the wake of a disastrous PNAC adventure and the Depression this Gilded Age has to have, the GOPimps doubled down.  Tea Party Populism grabbed the discontent with bad Republican government and made it about government instead of Republican.  Very fine oolong in that Koch and  Armey bag.  Does strange things to the mind.

Our cons like to pretend that they were never for Bush and Cheney and that real conservativism has never been tried in all this Reagan, bigger budget Cold War 'victory' period.  This is all a "liberal failure" in the revisionist history.  The ignorantly pissed off have lots of reasons to resent "liberals" who are generally educated and hard to relate to at a gut level.  They have ways to dismiss us no matter what we do.  

Take Poor Harry Reid.  He has been ridiculed for timidity and decorum for years, as the Righties praised the thuggery of the filibuster crowd and their total partisan "toughness."  So, he gives them a shot to the ribs and they cry like babies.  Now it is Romney the victim of a "dirty liar" who is being held to the standards of journalism by pundits who's own record for verifiable sources is sketchy.  What a lowlife, Dirty Harry, for forcing Romney's hand on his tax return holdout!   Waaahhh.

I have lived through decades of economic ideological nonsense, and the record as well as the economic theory tells me that it has run its unfortunate course.  The dismal science has lived up to its name, and the "brightest and best" have done the greatest evil convinced that they were brilliant and morally superior.  Oil companies and finance run our world.  Our politics has been dismantled by the fiduciary metaphysics of the Supremes and the Empire has replaced any Republic we might have inherited from the "greatest generation."  It is time to get real about this stuff.

The reason Romney's tax returns matter is that he is auditioning for President.  His resume, as he presents it, is his business record and skill.  He will rescue America from Obama's dead end and bring his genius to bear on our future greatness.  This means that his actual record in business is more than background or character.  It is what he says he does.  It is why he is the one we need.

It is not because he is wealthy.  It would not matter if the money he inherited had come from crimes in previous generations, as is the norm.  Children of Robber Barons and of Mobsters both go legit.  The difference for Romney is that he used his inheritance to pursue a morally questionable business model.  Perfectly legal is not good enough for President.  Vulture capitalism comes in a bad last to community organizing as Presidential timber metrics.

What is not being released is either criminal or tawdry.  In this instance, Romney has no right to privacy about this stuff.  His opponents, and Jon Stewart, have every right to suggest every credible or incredible reason for Romney to hide his tax returns.  Letterman could do a weekly top ten.  It would be the Ken Doll of Wall St.'s fault for being such a stiff.  He has ruined enough lives already.

Redwing
Redwing's picture
Believe it or not I

Believe it or not I completely agree with your theory on trade policies. It is not fixable overnight but Obama has done nothing to help the situation nor has he talked about it to any degree.  A helpful source.

http://www.americansworking.com/index.html

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
Redwing basically says the

Redwing basically says the Democrats taking over congress caused the Great Recession.

We go over this all the time.  The Republicans never learn, never respond, then several months later posting the same garbage.

You can prove that Redwing's hypothesis is false  because most of the reckless lending was already made. before the Democrats took over.

Also, isn't a good idea the bubble burst when it did? It was not the bubble bursting that was so bad, it was all the deregulations the administration engaged in that caused it.

Further, even if you thought the Great OZ Barney Frank caused the bubble - somehow managing despite his minority status - then what difference does it make if the Democrats technically hold power or not?

And even further, Redwing says that Bush had all these great months of low unemployment - yet does not hold Congress responsible for all that - even though the all powerful Barney Frank was in charge of everything.

In short, Redwing's thesis is completely, utterly and hopelessly ridiculous. Not to mention we conclusively proved that F&F had nothing to do with the crisis - except in so far as playing catch up to all the other financial institutions.