Is the American Political System Designed to Eliminate Opposition?

18 posts / 0 new

Video http://youtu.be/2xvgV-38U1E

Published by Gary Franchi NextNewsNetwork Aug 17, 2012
Green Party Candidate Jill Stein Interview

Just how hard is it to get on the ballot in the United States. Is the American political system ruled by money and designed to eliminate political opposition? Green Party candidate Green Party Jill Stein comments on the Two party monopoly, that dominates our current political system.

(Correction) Reference: *Ohio Secretary of State John Husted* Bans all minor political parties - link: http://www.lpo.org/communications/news/state/487-lpo-files-injunction-in-case-against-sec-of-state-husted.html

Liberty-Pac's picture
Liberty-Pac

Comments

Poor Libertarians!

No Liberty at all here in America.

anonymous green

Absolutely. The media, owned by large corporations, controls the spin on each candidate, and consequently the continuation of the status quo. Then the election comes down to voting "for the lesser of two evils." This is what I have done most of my life. One exception was Obama. I thought he would stop the Bush war insanity. Instead he escalated the Afghani occupation by 30,000 troops and put the Drone program on steroids. He even fooled the Nobel Peace Prize comittee.

The greater problem is that the majority of Americans believe what they hear on tv, even the content of political ads. They are swayed by barrages of negative commercials. They believe Fox news. They believe Brian Williams. Is it fair to say that a large percentage of the American populace is significantly flat out stoopid????

dhavid
Quote dhavid:

Absolutely. The media, owned by large corporations, controls the spin on each candidate, and consequently the continuation of the status quo. Then the election comes down to voting "for the lesser of two evils." This is what I have done most of my life. One exception was Obama. I thought he would stop the Bush war insanity. Instead he escalated the Afghani occupation by 30,000 troops and put the Drone program on steroids. He even fooled the Nobel Peace Prize comittee.

The greater problem is that the majority of Americans believe what they hear on tv, even the content of political ads. They are swayed by barrages of negative commercials. They believe Fox news. They believe Brian Williams. Is it fair to say that a large percentage of the American populace is significantly flat out stoopid????

It's obvious you are that stoopid, from your remarks above.

Do you want us to believe the ridiculous remrks you made against your President? Speech is free, to be sure, but I'm also free to point out that your post is a backhanded slap at the President who saved you from Fascists.

He's not the lesser of two evils, fool, he's the one who saved your Country from the poison pills Bush baked into all our pudding.

anonymous green

dhavid, I feel your "disappointment." My childish illusions about America got their kick in the ass in the Vietnam debacle, and what I have learned about "us" since then has not been flattering or "exceptional" other than in the "special" sense. But, I did go from the WTF! to the WTF? I did get over the personal disappointment as the focus of my feeling/thinking and open my mind to understand those who seemed so obtuse and insane.

Chris Hedges also helped me see what was appealing in the Magic when Reality sucked. When I began to look at the world from the lenses and perspectives of the Rightwing narrative, I found the old American Century Myth the Northern Liberals had embraced with a Southern Twist; and I saw the type of behavior human beings exhibit in addictive and abusive situations. As Poly says, "ideology is a disease," and when ideologies crash against reality the denial and thrashing about is part of the process.

I also had to face the uncomfortable fact that the Liberal/Progressive label that I embrace has its own unresolved problems rooted in this American Century Myth and our Mainline Establishment Middle Class abandonment of our own labor identity. Not to mention how satisfied we have been with integration, accomodation, patience and delays in justice as well as the triangulated junior partners in empire and war. Hedges is right about that, too.

It is some comfort to know that this is more typical of human behavior than a special American disease. Propaganda works. There has been a ton of money spent on researching what we respond to and why. It is not a marketplace of ideas with rational shoppers making wise choices. Take that Democracy! Your "voice of the people" is more likely to be a Tea Party meme than a wise statement by a scholar or Bernie Sanders. Fear and anger do not mix well with reflection and analysis. On the other hand, passion and motivation does drive scholarship and research, so the idea is not to deny fear or outrage in order to find a calm, objective place of pure reason.

Why do people want to believe what they hear (see) on tv? Why does negativity work? Who believes what on what authority? Is it the desire to believe that makes it easy to deceive, making the deceivers into mere functionaries rather than master magicians; or is it the skill of the deceivers that takes the innocent and fools them? If people are lusting to be fooled, why blame the one who simply harvests the crops?

I have my own answer in the pathology department. I think the manipulators are guilty no matter how much the people want it. Taking advantage of human weakness is wrong, even if it goes to the heart of "the art of the deal." It is not honest to frame a world of reason and then employ the means of deceit. I think this describes Citizens United to a tee. The image of free speech and the reality of bribery and propaganda messaging.

The more important point, however, is how are we to do anything about this and be participants in power ourselves instead of merely disgusted sideliners? How are we going to say or do anything that matters in the face of defensive reactionary fear, anger and hate? Where do we find any community of support and engagement? Where do we talk about this with friends instead of having it out in polemics? What do we learn from the polemics?

Some irony points because they bring us back to being human. Liberals are frustrated because blue collar workers do not vote their economic interest. Free Market advocates also have an emotional/ideological stake in people making rational and wise decisions, and are frustrated by the fact that we don't. Wanting the others side to be rational and see what is clear to us is very human.

A more subtle piece of irony comes in the fact that the Liberal American Century narrative has become the core of the Southern "Rise Again" final chapter in the Civil War PNAC narrative of American Destiny. They are ringing our chimes, and even though we need to go through rehab about triumphalism and pride, not having sorted things out leaves us "lacking all conviction" while the new triumphalists are full of "passionate intensity." Notice what happens if a Liberal gets angry? It is a no no despite the total license given the Tea Party. See how it fits the pathology?

Keep the faith. Do not be dissuaded by the passionate intensity or by the confusion among your friends and allies. Laugh at it too. Care about the people and hate the misuse of power. Love democracy and hate the tyranny. Use your hate as a laser beam rather than a Molotov Cocktail. Feed your persistence and your commitment to humanity and to harmony and balance with the earth. Love. Enjoy. Cry.

Keep on learning.

drc2

To the OP, yes, we have a national two party system. That is the way it is written. Our rules favor the wealthy and powerful. We need to change the rules.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

And grow more pot.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

Maybe if the U.S. legalized it and grew its own, the drug cartels would go away and we'd save billions fighting the international "drug war". The longest un-winnable war in U.S. history.

It seems we learned nothing from the Prohibition era.

While some states have legalized it to varying degrees through ballot initiatives...the parties of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum remain in opposition to it and both have the full support of the private prison industry on the matter.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Maybe you forget that the Democrats have tried to get Cannabis removed from the Schedule 1 drug list. Only to be shut down, like every other bill, by a bunch of manchurian obstructionist Republicans.

Your tweedle-dee/dum analogy of our political parties is nihilistic and false.

anonymous green
Quote anonymous green:Maybe you forget that the Democrats have tried to get Cannabis removed from the Schedule 1 drug list. Only to be shut down, like every other bill, by a bunch of manchurian obstructionist Republicans.

Your tweedle-dee/dum analogy of our political parties is nihilistic and false.

To some extent the analogy could be nihilistic but it is not entirely false. Even the bipartisan efforts so far to reschedule Cannabis have been half-assed measures, at best. If they wanted to get it done, they would. They did it before. We had such an historic opportunity at the end of World War II to change the planet for the better. With "Marihuana" prohibition ended for the war effort, and huge advancements in mechanical engineering and agricultural and industrial technology providing unforeseen booms to global production, we had the chance to keep things like that and allow hemp to take it's natural place at the head of world industry. Instead, certain agencies manipulated public perception for the benefit of the few, Marijuana was outlawed again and thousands of Nazis were secretly given US government jobs building more advanced weapons of mass destruction. The United States of America went in the entirely opposite direction, and we've "stayed the course" ever since.

From all that I've seen and read, I don't believe that enough members of our government actually want to legalize industrial "Marihuana" because of the uncertainty and fear that they feel toward the sweeping changes it will cause in the processes of the world's energy, banking, pharmaceutical, and other major industries. President Obama could sign an executive order taking care of the matter with the stroke of a pen, and it would change forever the way that the entire world does business, but he won't because he's part of a system that is perpetuated specifically because Cannabis is forbidden.

But we still have hope. Not in Barack Obama doing the right thing, although the chance is still there (however slim), but we have hope in the fact that educating the public on this matter will turn the tide in favor of logic and reason. It is working. Recent polls show a majority of Americans favor legalization (or at least decriminalization) over prosecution of Cannabis. We have to keep pounding away at public perception with the facts that our corporate-owned government and media have tried so hard to suppress, until every informed voter demands an end to the government's lingering Reefer Madness mentality. Ultimately, we have to remember that WE are the government.

I didn't mean to derail this discussion with more talk of marijuana legalization, but there are hardly any aspects of human society that will not benefit from the positive ripple effects of ending Cannabis prohibition.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

Nice post dhavid

Liberty-Pac's picture
Liberty-Pac

Judge stops signature rule for minor parties

By: Joe Vardon - Columbus Dispatch Friday September 9, 2011

// // "When Ohio voters head to the polls to select a U.S. president in 2012, they’ll almost surely see a Libertarian candidate on the ballot.

That’s because a federal judge on Wednesday halted a provision of state Republicans’ expansive elections bill from going into effect. It required (minor) political parties to submit 40,000 signatures by Feb. 8 to qualify for the November 2012 ballot.

Last month, the Libertarian Party of Ohio sued Secretary of State Jon Husted over provisions of House Bill 194. The party contended they were an infringement on its First Amendment rights and would kick its candidates off ballots this year and next.

U.S. District Judge Algenon L. Marbley agreed and granted Libertarians the preliminary injunction to prohibit the state from enforcing the signature requirement for minor parties.

“Today’s ruling shows that the court understands what we have said all along — that free and open elections are necessary for a free society,” said Michael Johnston, vice chairman of the Libertarian Party of Ohio. “This ruling today is not just a victory for the Libertarian Party of Ohio, but for the majority of Ohioans, including Republicans and Democrats, who are looking for a viable alternative to our current, dysfunctional two-party system.”

Read More here: Columbus Dispatch

Liberty-Pac's picture
Liberty-Pac

Remember the Reform Party? Without instant runoff ballotting, third parties are a pipe dream. Diversity would come if their voters knew they would have a second chance in a runoff ballot.

Their is also hope the republican brand just keeps withering, and ultimately becoming obsolete, like the Whigs. Bullmoose was more like the reform party.

This brand was launched a few years ago with new tech, and a 90 minute TV show.

Tampa may be the equivalent launch for republican rebranding.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:

Remember the Reform Party? Without instant runoff ballotting, third parties are a pipe dream. Diversity would come if their voters knew they would have a second chance in a runoff ballot.

Below are two lists of third party office holders nationwide....could you elaborate on your pipe dream theory?

Libertarian Party - There are 154 Libertarian officeholders nationwide as of August 22,2012

Green Party- There are 136 Green Party officeholders nationwide as of August 22, 2012.

Liberty-Pac's picture
Liberty-Pac

Third Party - now that's alot of folks elected to public office.

Quote Liberty-Pac:
Quote douglaslee:

Below are two lists of third party office holders nationwide....could you elaborate on your pipe dream theory?

Libertarian Party - There are 154 Libertarian officeholders nationwide as of August 22,2012

Green Party- There are 136 Green Party officeholders nationwide as of August 22, 2012.

Liberty-Pac's picture
Liberty-Pac

I think that the tea party has figured it out. They are really a third party but they know that they can't get into the game unless it's under the disguise of the republican party. They've been sneaking in and the Libertarian and or Green Party should follow suit if they wish to play.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

So 290 out of how many?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Phaedrus76 - I am not here to argue with you brother, I'm here to demonstrate, “A better world is possible” ........without the 2 party dictatorship that dominates our current political system. Peace out! Vote Third Party

Liberty-Pac's picture
Liberty-Pac

Currently Chatting

Is George Zimmerman Right?

It's time to listen to George Zimmerman. Seriously, and I'll explain in a minute.