Apple is now the richest corporation

4 posts / 0 new

Apple is now the most valuable corporation to ever grace the planet – with a total market value of more than $620 billion. The tech-company hit the milestone on Monday – passing the previously most valuable company in the history of the world – oil giant ExxonMobil.

One takeaway from this news is that innovative designs and cutting-edge products are extremely profitable in a tech world.

Another takeaway is that a long-term commitment to rejecting organized labor and employing cheap labor in developing nations really adds to the bottom line of your company nowadays.

Tragically – there’s little American about Apple anymore.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Apple is not the "richest" company in the history of the world; it is merely the "most expensive" in terms of the price of its stock times outstanding shares.

Immediately before the dot com crash, Cisco Systems was the "most expensive" company.

Draw your own conclusions.

chilidog

Apple is a huge area of liberal hypocrisy. Apple's business practices are anathema to everything liberals preach to others about - offshoring, labor exploitation, materialism, mindless consumption, tax avoidance for starters. But then they turn around and gush endlessly about Apple products and wait breathlessly in long lines for every new update, real or trumped up. I'd imagine there would be lines and gushing about a new Iphone if the only update was a new power cord.

We can complain long and hard about these business practices, but as long as we eagerly lap up the products, the business practices will continue unabated and will only spread. I believe even Thom mentioned onece he had an Iphone. No denouncing these business practices then, Thom!

To end these business practices, we (liberals) all need to start by looking at ourselves in the mirror.

al3's picture
al3

Apple is the "Calvin Klein" of the tech industry. Take a device, put some nice trim on, then your logo (just as CK does) and then charge almost twice as much and market as if you are a real loser if you don't have that item. Suckers fall for it every time. The funny think about "it just works" that I hear from iPhone and iPad users is because the OS is limited almost a toy API so developers "can't" make too many mistakes. Though as a developer myself, but for Android, where "extensibility" rules the day there is something to be said for simpler devices.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Currently Chatting