Big oil hasn’t learned its lesson from 2010’s BP oil spill in the Gulf...

8 posts / 0 new

- Either that or it just doesn’t care. Reuters is reporting that oil rigs drilling “ultra-deep” wells have hit historic highs – with more than 80 rigs now drilling at depths of 7,500 feet or more. The likes of BP, Chevron, and Shell are all getting into the deep water drilling game – despite the clear risks of it. In fact, BP is looking to drill even deeper – already developing new technology to drill in even deeper, higher pressure wells.

One reason, why big oil is taking so many risks – is because they know they won’t be held accountable when they screw up. Not one BP executive has been charged with any crimes stemming from the 2010 oil spill that killed 11 men, ruined coastlines along the Gulf Coast, and has done untold damage to marine life and the food chain in the area. Time to hold Big Oil accountable – after all – what’s underneath our land should belong to all of us – not a handful of rich CEOs.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

I couldn't agree more they should have been held accountable. Just wait until there is a big spill in the Arctic if we can't stop them from drilling there! More people need to get involved signing petitions and writing to our representives. Speaking of representives, we should all be checking the voting records of our representives and if they do not vote for the environment call them out on it and vote them out of office. How else can we win?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
Quote MrsBJLee:

I couldn't agree more they should have been held accountable. Just wait until there is a big spill in the Arctic if we can't stop them from drilling there! More people need to get involved signing petitions and writing to our representives. Speaking of representives, we should all be checking the voting records of our representives and if they do not vote for the environment call them out on it and vote them out of office. How else can we win?

Hey even a rigth wing capitalist like myself thinks that anyone who spills oil should be held accountable. But sorry, I think you are a little off base on your hopes that people will vote on the basis of environmentalism. There is only one thing people vote on, who will put more money in my pocket. I'm not saying EVERYONE votes that way, or that's the way it should be, but that is the way it is with the voting public in general. Even Obama had to back the Keystone Pipeline, it is just too good for the economy, and at the end of the day that's what people care about the most. Again, I'm not saying that the way it should be, but that's the way it is.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2

That's not the way it is. That's the way they tell us it is.

The Keystone XL will not do anything for any regular American. It will only serve to further ruin the environment and the majority of jobs that are created by its construction will immediately end as soon as the pipeline is finished, and from then on all of the profits will go to the corporate elite and gas prices will most likely rise more.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

You don't need to convince me, you need to convince Mr. Obama on that point. However he understands that Bill Clinton was right when he stated "It's the economy stupid" and he is the one who is trying to get re elected. You may not see the pipeline improving the economy, but certainly he does.

Besides, how will the construction of the Keystone pipeline raise gas prices? I am in that industry and I'll tell you that you are completely wrong on that point.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2
Quote Thom Hartmann Administrator:

- Not one BP executive has been charged with any crimes stemming from the 2010 oil spill that killed 11 men, ruined coastlines along the Gulf Coast, and has done untold damage to marine life and the food chain in the area. Time to hold Big Oil accountable – after all – what’s underneath our land should belong to all of us – not a handful of rich CEOs.

If you lie about your residence, to get your kid into a better school district, they throw you in jail in Ohio. Kill 11 workers, ruin a coast and Gulf, kill countless dolphins, and ruin a regional fishing economy, no one is held responsible, because corporations are people, my friends.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76
Quote Phaedrus76:

- Not one BP executive has been charged with any crimes stemming from the 2010 oil spill that killed 11 men, ruined coastlines along the Gulf Coast, and has done untold damage to marine life and the food chain in the area. Time to hold Big Oil accountable – after all – what’s underneath our land should belong to all of us – not a handful of rich CEOs.

If you lie about your residence, to get your kid into a better school district, they throw you in jail in Ohio. Kill 11 workers, ruin a coast and Gulf, kill countless dolphins, and ruin a regional fishing economy, no one is held responsible, because corporations are people, my friends.

The question on the BP situation is, was there criminal negligence? I do not even pretend to know the answer to that question, but if there was then there should be some people in jail. Even a card carrying right winger like me will agree to that.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2
Quote Phaedrus76:

Not only that, you get an apology on the floor of congress from a house rep. [I think it was Gomer from TX] The audacity of the US to ask BP to pay was just too much for Gomer, so he expressed his shame on the house floor. [Goemert?]

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting