Blackwater and the Defense Contractor Revolving Door

4 posts / 0 new

Here was an interesting interview on RT news yesterday with a retired Army colonel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QPHYlLBH0&list=UUczrL-2b-gYK3l4yDld4XlQ...

One neat little trick is that Blackwater won't be paying any fines really-they will just use funds from current contracts.

DynoDon

Comments

Blackwater originally was a Native American company? Is that true or rumor mill grist?

anonymous green

I found this.

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/5/6/native_american_activist_winona_lad...

"WINONA LADUKE: You know, I would say that things are better. I would say we’ve got a few egregious problems still. You know, you have, for instance, the U.N. Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People. As you likely know, there were four holdout countries, as of 2007, that did not sign on. U.S. and Canada are the only two countries that have yet to sign on the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. The Obama administration made some lip service to it, posturing. I was thinking maybe we’re in like some kind of yoga position on it; I don’t know what posture he’s in. But we’d like to see that carried out. As well, you know, apology — you know, these are, in many ways, symbolic gestures. There was an apology to native peoples that was issued, but no one heard it. So its’ kind of like saying, you know, "I’m sorry," to a wall. Probably should have a little formal apology.

But then there is the reality of — that things in Indian Country are not getting better. You can’t keep putting money in the federal budget for the military and robbing everything else, so that people on my reservation and other reservations don’t have housing, don’t have education money, don’t have health service, you know, don’t have basic, basic rights. And the only way in the native community, really, to get economically ahead, in many cases, is to become a military contractor.

I don’t know if you noticed in the book that it turns out that Blackwater is a Native American contractor. Now, I didn’t know that, you know, and I really hadn’t thought of them as a Native American contractor. But with the Chenega native corporation, they’ve got about $1.9 billion in federal contracts that they received, most of those as a sole-source, non-bid contractor, because they went under the shell of an Alaskan native corporation, the Chenega Corporation. And so, you know, native communities are becoming military contractors because that’s where the money is. You know, so the irony of the whole history of colonization, military colonization, valiant patriots like Geronimo fighting against the U.S. taking of our lands, the destruction of our peoples, to now a situation where the largest private army in the world is a Native American contractor. And the fact that they so egregiously abuse the name of Geronimo and, in widespread cases, you know, refer to Indian Country as the territory that is to be taken by the U.S. military, you know, it is time to revisit this history."

DynoDon

Winona talks about Hawaii, too. The military destroyed one island they took. It's used up so they gave it back, uninhabitable. Now they want 79,000 acres on the Big Island of Hawaii, some acreage on sacred sites. It's disgusting, and the Big Island is my favorite of the four I've been to. I used to live on Oahu.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.