California is Doomed

34 posts / 0 new

http://economy.ocregister.com/2012/08/09/california-unemployment-payouts...

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_21267330/gasoline-prices-jump-5-c...

""There is definitely a price spike going on," said Gregg Laskoski, a senior petroleum analyst with GasBuddy. "There is no question the fire at the Richmond refinery is the catalyst for this."

Chevron's Richmond refinery can handle 244,000 barrels of oil a day. In addition to producing 20 to 25 percent of the gasoline used in Northern California, it also supplies about 50 percent of the jet fuel used at the major airports in the region.

"They are probably running at half capacity at the Richmond refinery," van der Valk said. "They can bring in blended stocks from other parts of the world, such as from the huge Chevron refinery in India. That could take two months to get here. Chevron will just try to hobble along for a while at the refinery."

Other challenges have surfaced that have contributed to the gasoline price problems on the West Coast. For one thing, refinery inventories are low because refinery operators don't want to be caught with a oversupply of summer fuel ahead of the annual switch to winter fuel blends Oct. 1. And the Valero refinery in Benicia has suffered some hiccups lately.

"There are big problems in California right now," Laskoski said."

Geez-between the unemployed not having any money to spend and rising gas prices-is CA just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

Oh-OH-is that another quake?

DynoDon

Comments

California screwed themselves long ago. They have a lot more than high gas prices to worry about.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

California is breaking because capitalism does not work. It is not an economic system for the 21st century and a global population of over 7 billion. It's time to retire that old chaotic battleaxe and use something more compassionate and sustainable.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Read this at the SF Chronicle opinion page today.

"Drivers warned to brace for hefty rise in price of gas" reads a Chronicle headline in the aftermath of the refinery fire.

How come we never see the headline "Chevron braced for sharp drop in profits after absorbing all costs of their refinery fire to protect consumers pocketbools"

Too many words I guess.

bamboo's picture
bamboo
Quote captbebops:

California is breaking because capitalism does not work. It is not an economic system for the 21st century and a global population of over 7 billion. It's time to retire that old chaotic battleaxe and use something more compassionate and sustainable.

Suggestions?

A better option

http://www.jillstein.org/

Redwing's picture
Redwing

California is breaking. Illinois is breaking. New York is breaking. 3 of the largest states are in financial distress. I wonder if there is a common denominator among them. You don't have to think too hard on this one.

noparty

Many of your red states are broke as well....If it wasn't for the money they get from the government those dummies in those states would have to pay the piper more money, instead they ride the backs of those states whose money supports them...They are nothing but welfare recipients of the worse kind themselves.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

Well, the red states are already breaking the backs of the poor and middle classes by shifting the tax burden to them. They've no option but to switch their back-breaking to the poor and middle classes of the blue states. Their own majorities have been bled dry.

Personally,I think the red states should just be encouraged to withdraw from the union and collapse without bringing the whole country down with them.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2
Quote noparty:

California is breaking. Illinois is breaking. New York is breaking. 3 of the largest states are in financial distress. I wonder if there is a common denominator among them. You don't have to think too hard on this one.

Hmmmm... A valid point. Keeping in mind the common denominator. Let us also wonder what changed in Wisconsin that changed it from breaking to mended.

Paleo-con
Quote noparty:

I wouldn't beat my chest too much on this one, especially if you're in a moocher state. A good part of the wealth of this country is generated in these 3 blue states. Without this wealth, moocher states, many libertarian paradise red states, would be poorer than they already are. There are a few red states that carry their weight, Texas comes to mind, but there aren't many, and they talk the tough libertarian talk ad nauseum, but in reality they're on the dole, just like the poor folks they disparage constantly

al3's picture
al3

You might look into how much money texas has taken from the federal government to stay afloat the past several years.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter
Quote Redwing:

A better option

Real Tea, Real Party

With a butter option

The Real Green Party. The Real Tea Party.

The Stalk Market Report, August, 2012, national Kiss My Ass Month

anonymous green

How did capitalism cause or even contribute to California's financial breakdown? Or is that belief just consistent with your anticapitalist ideology? California's problems begin with the passage of Prop 13 by 67% of the voters disgusted with soaring property taxes and then California's addiction to massive spending didn't stop. In fact, it increased 35% from 2003 to 2007. It is a ridiculous assumtion to blame California's problems on capitalism.

The governator could not defeat powerful liberal interest groups and lost on several initiative battles.

Then you have big fat bloated pensions and the unlimited political power of california state workers and their unions. An overly generous retirement system and unfunded liabilities are $200 billion.

Plus, California, is and extreme evironmental wacko haven that is hostile to businesses and developement. De-developement oof nearly 500,000 acres of California's Central Valley has cost 30,000 farm jobs. Environmental extremism has also contributed to California's problems.

Now, many people are fleeing the state.

Capitalism did not destroy California liberal policies and environmental extremism destroyed it.

Brookesmith
Quote Brookesmith:

California's problems begin with the passage of Prop 13 by 67% of the voters disgusted with soaring property taxes and then California's addiction to massive spending didn't stop.

Absolutely right Linda!

And it was right-wing philosophy just like that of today that lied to everyone about how it would save California.

Real Tea, Real Party

With a butter option

The Real Green Party. The Real Tea Party.

The Stalk Market Report, August, 2012, national Kiss My Ass Month

anonymous green

ag, I posted about the Green Tea Party as a nice idea elsewhere. Keep telling the truth about the Jarvis that Ate California.

drc2

“Like Sergeant Rivera of the Holy Lake County Sheriff Department, who kidnapped me two years ago with his friend Officer K, lied to a doctor and told him I was insane”

Like I said, some people have been saying that for a long time.”

A better option

Redwing's picture
Redwing
Quote Paleo-con:
Quote noparty:

Hmmmm... A valid point. Keeping in mind the common denominator. Let us also wonder what changed in Wisconsin that changed it from breaking to mended.

What ? Wisconsin is mended ? Tell that to the people with the stats saying that Wisconsin has been one of the worst states in the country in job creation or economic expansion since the Koch Bros boy Walker took over last year.

Why, when I read comments like that, do I suddenly hear the theme song to "The Twilight Zone" ?

miksilvr
Quote Redwing:

A better option

A butter option.

Real Tea, Real Party

The Stalk Market Report: A vote for the old Green Party is a vote for nihilism flushed down a big Green Toilet, into what used to be a blue lake.

anonymous green
Quote Sprinklerfitter:

You might look into how much money texas has taken from the federal government to stay afloat the past several years.

Texas sends more money to DC than it gets back. If we would quit sending any, then they couldn't send what they do back with the strings attached, after they got through taking their cut . You might want to check your facts before you start foaming at the mouth.

Brookesmith
Quote Brookesmith:

You might want to check your facts before you start foaming at the mouth.

I think your should check your own foaming, and that's a fact.

anonymous green
Quote Redwing:
Quote captbebops:

Suggestions?

A better option

The green party jill stien is not a better option than capitalism it is communism and tyranny. It can only lead to one place total government.control of every aspect of your life.

workingman's picture
workingman
Quote Brookesmith:

How did capitalism cause or even contribute to California's financial breakdown? Or is that belief just consistent with your anticapitalist ideology? California's problems begin with the passage of Prop 13 by 67% of the voters disgusted with soaring property taxes and then California's addiction to massive spending didn't stop. In fact, it increased 35% from 2003 to 2007. It is a ridiculous assumtion to blame California's problems on capitalism.

The governator could not defeat powerful liberal interest groups and lost on several initiative battles.

Then you have big fat bloated pensions and the unlimited political power of california state workers and their unions. An overly generous retirement system and unfunded liabilities are $200 billion.

Plus, California, is and extreme evironmental wacko haven that is hostile to businesses and developement. De-developement oof nearly 500,000 acres of California's Central Valley has cost 30,000 farm jobs. Environmental extremism has also contributed to California's problems.

Now, many people are fleeing the state.

Capitalism did not destroy California liberal policies and environmental extremism destroyed it.

Could not agree with you more. I was out in California this week making sales calls on most of the refineries in the state, including Chevron, Richmond where the fire was. I was listening to the radio, and some guy got on there on stated that he was riding his bike in Oakland (some 35 miles away) and complained of a headache and wondered if it was related to the fire. And the moderator of the radio show actually talked to him as if this was a possibility! What a joke!

Chevron has been trying to upgrade that plant for several years, but they cannot do it, they get blocked. Chevron has threatened several times to close their two plants in California and walk away from the headaches.

California, you get what you deserve, California has to be the most business unfriendly state in the union.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2
Quote workingman:

The green party jill stien is not a better option than capitalism it is communism and tyranny. It can only lead to one place total government.control of every aspect of your life.

Now you're talking, Linda, you're absolutely right.

The Real Tea Party, The Real Green Party

We even have a butter option.

The Stalk Market Report, August 10, 2012

Real Tea, Real Party

anonymous green
Quote Mauiman2:

Chevron has been trying to upgrade that plant for several years, but they cannot do it, they get blocked. Chevron has threatened several times to close their two plants in California and walk away from the headaches.

California, you get what you deserve, California has to be the most business unfriendly state in the union.

Arson is a crime in California, as is price-fixing oil through arson.

Letting that fire burn when it could have been put out was arson by feigned negligence.

Talk about unfriendly, Linda!

-Montag

anonymous green
Quote anonymous green:
Quote Mauiman2:

Letting that fire burn when it could have been put out was arson by feigned negligence.

-Montag

So we should charge and arrest the fire fighters with arson for not putting out a fire that is to risky to fight. Example forest fire, your house is completely engulfed in fire so the firefighters move on that is arson by negligence?

workingman's picture
workingman

Check your coat, and then your facts.

Check your fax as well, and see if there's a message there saying you don't really know a thing about what you are speaking of.

Are you aware of what happened, there in Richmond?

anonymous green

From what I have read and seen the refinery had a fuel leak. While trying to stop the leak it caught on fire. The fire fighters had the fire contained in about four hours. That is pretty fast when dealing wuth the infrastructure of an oil refinery. Chevron set up a claims office to pay for health care and damages.

What did I miss?

workingman's picture
workingman

You missed the fact that Chevron had a small fire that was left to burn into a bigger one, since it was deemed to be 'not a threat'.

I just came from there, the smoke was still hanging in the air as I passed through Vallejo.

anonymous green

California's number one cash crop is Cannabis Sativa, the same plant that provided the US military with the necessary equipment to defeat every enemy from Queen Elizabeth II to Emperor Hirohito.

If California legalizes Cannabis Sativa again, hemp will replace fossil fuels and nuclear power for energy and polluting companies like Chevron will go bankrupt. The People will still have all of their gasoline and electricity, but without multibillion-dollar transnational corporations neglecting the societies that made them so wealthy. We also won't have so much pollution, because plants clean the air as they're growing.

Also, wars for limited fossil resources will end. Then all of those trillions of dollars currently being spent on guns and bombs and tanks and drones to protect multibillion-dollar transnational corporations' interests overseas can go to paying for other things, like putting out noxious fires caused by the negligence of multibillion-dollar transnational corporations.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

The feds are focusing on a pipe that was inspected last year and recommended for replacement as the cause. The corroded pipe was not replaced.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/chevron-fire-investigators...

I heard the spokesman for the refinery tap dance this morning on KGO radio.

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote miksilvr:

What ? Wisconsin is mended ? Tell that to the people with the stats saying that Wisconsin has been one of the worst states in the country in job creation or economic expansion since the Koch Bros boy Walker took over last year.

Why, when I read comments like that, do I suddenly hear the theme song to "The Twilight Zone" ?

I can find no statistics that say Wisconsin is "one of the worst states". If you would be so kind as to point them out, I will do the homework. In the mean time, please note the statistics that say Wisconsin is rated 13th in the country. Hardly "one of the worst".

Need more?

Wisconsin’s economy is continuing to turn around. In the first two months of this year we’ve added over 17,000 private sector jobs. Our unemployment rate is 6.9 percent, the lowest it’s been since 2008.
Our actions have also had a positive effect on Wisconsinites looking for work—this year the total number of new unemployment claims declined by almost one-fourth when compared to the first full 11 weeks of 2010.

Hmmm... I am having no problem finding statistics that say Wisconsin has turned around since the removal of the "common denominator". On the other side I am have lots of trouble finding statistics saying that Wisconsin is continuing a downward spiral. One would think the Democrats would be pointing to Wisconsin as an example of why Republicans must be prevented from taking charge. Why aren't they? Mayhap that the "Twilight Zone" theme is not playing in your head for the reasons you may think.

Paleo-con

What is it exactly that Wisconsin is or has done that has improved their economy? They do have a fairly diverse economy. I agree with Paleo-con.

I just read a bulletin put out by "progressive" United Wisconsin. Progressives are not happy and very upset about the direction Walker has taken the state, ignoring the fact that a majority of the voters just reaffirmed their support for him. Plus the fact that the state is doing economically better than average. Proves to me that progressives are out of touch with the political winds of political change currently blowing across the country as a whole. I think many incumbents have reason to be concerned about their re-elections. Just IMO.

Brookesmith
Quote anonymous green:
Quote Mauiman2:

-Montag

Sorry this quote shows your TOTAL ignorance of what happened there. I was at that plant on Wednesday and you COMPLETELY mis represent what happened there, you are not even worth commenting to.

Unless you know what you are talking about, do not make comments like you have above they are completely and TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE! And no, I do not work for Chevron.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2
Quote Mauiman2:
Quote anonymous green:
Quote Mauiman2:

-Montag

Sorry this quote shows your TOTAL ignorance of what happened there. I was at that plant on Wednesday and you COMPLETELY mis represent what happened there, you are not even worth commenting to.

Unless you know what you are talking about, do not make comments like you have above they are completely and TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE! And no, I do not work for Chevron.

The left does not care about facts.or what really happened as long as they can blame the evil corporations or rich. All the while they charge their iphones in their imported cars.

workingman's picture
workingman

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.