Coal won again

3 posts / 0 new

Sulpher dioxide makes such pretty sunsets, and nitrogen oxide offers those images depth. We're talking God's canvas and the EPA wants to take our brushes away just so some kids can breathe. What do you think we offer inhalers for? Cheez

A US appeals court overturned a key Obama administration rule to reduce harmful emissions from coal-fired power plants on Tuesday.

The Columbia district circuit appeals court said in a 2-1 decision that the Environmental Protection Agency had exceeded its mandate with the rule, which was to limit sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxide emissions from power plants in 28 mostly eastern states and Texas.

The court sent the cross-state air pollution rule for revision, telling the agency to administer its existing clean air interstate rule – the Bush-era regulation that it was updating – in the interim. The EPA said it was reviewing the ruling.

The decision was cheered by Republicans who have made the EPA and President Barack Obama's environmental policies a major campaign issue ahead of November elections. The agency is risking a fragile economic recovery by saddling US industries with costly new rules, Republicans say.

"The Obama-EPA continues to demonstrate that it will stop at nothing in its determination to kill coal," said Republican senator James Inhofe, one of the most vocal EPA opponents in the US Senate.

I was trying to find the two judges bought and paid for by coal, but the DC Circuit has over a dozen and even after reading the dissent, I couldn't see the author's name. The gist of the reduction in pollutants was based on contaminating down wind neighbor's air quality. Libertarians have no problem with that, or polluting down stream water. I suppose one solution would be to erect an upwind plant that releases even more within limits the bribed judges deem acceptable. Then when the original polluter's air quality suffers you enter into a bilateral pact. We'll let you breathe if you let us breathe.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

I like your idea. It made me laugh. Too bad we couldn't actually do it!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

There's a good bumper sticker:

Kop the Kleen Koal Klan

Ripping the tops off Mountains will never be clean.

anonymous green

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.