Congressional Committees - The Republican Congressional "Self-Help" Program?

1 post / 0 new

Has it occurred to anyone else that the House Republicans seem to make Committee appointments based not so much on the member's areas of expertise as on those areas in which the member needs the most growth?

The most recent, and glaring, example of this is the presence of Todd Akin, who seems to believe that egg cells can differentiate between "loving" sperm and "hostile" sperm, and can apparently block the "hostile" sperm, on the Science and Technology Committee. Obviously, Mr. Akin has quite a bit to learn about Science, and what better placement could there be for him to gain that knowledge?

Other examples include mathematically-challenged Paul Ryan, who thinks he can balance $4.1 Trillion in tax cuts with somewhat less than $1 Trillion in spending cuts, on the Budget Committee, and Michelle Bachmann's seat on the Intelligence Comittee (Do I REALLY need to explain this one? ... I think NOT!).

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee

Currently Chatting

The Real Carbon “Monster” Revealed

Another day, another stupid assault on the truth by the fossil fuel industry and its paid lackeys. In a recent op-ed for the New York Post, Tom Harris, the executive director of the so-called International Climate Science Coalition -- an organization that’s funded, in part, by the fossil fuel industry -- blasted Leonardo DiCaprio for his work on “Carbon,” a new documentary on climate change that I helped write and present.