DISCLOSE ACT in California

5 posts / 0 new

With over one billion dollars in anonymous and deceptive ads from Super PACS swamping the airwaves this year thanks to Citizens United, and a majority in Congress that's stopping any reform, someone has to step up and start turning the tide.

And California has the chance to do it.

The state legislature is very close to passing California DISCLOSE Act (AB 1648), a bill sponsored by the California Clean Money Campaign that would help shine a light on the shadowy donors who depend on secrecy to influence elections.

I just signed a petition urging California legislators to pass the California DISCLOSE Act. I hope you do, too.

You can sign the petition and find more information on this topic at the link below:

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/ca_disclose_act/?r_by=45311-2881632-voC8rsx&rc=paste1

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

"We the People, Not We the Corporations"

"We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights."

http://movetoamend.org/

miksilvr

I hope people will read this!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Easiest solution, slap a 100% tax on political advertising. That way the Koch Bros can choose to pay their taxes in income taxes or as a sales tax on political ads.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

I signed the petition, but I don't think this is the solution:

"Under the California DISCLOSE Act, the names of the top three contributors to the groups running each ad would be clearly listed on the ads, along with their logos, every time the ad runs -- meaning if Chevron or Philip Morris bankrolls a misleading spot, AB 1648 would unmistakably expose their scheme."

You'll never see a name you recognize, That's not how they work.

chilidog

Currently Chatting

The Real Carbon “Monster” Revealed

Another day, another stupid assault on the truth by the fossil fuel industry and its paid lackeys. In a recent op-ed for the New York Post, Tom Harris, the executive director of the so-called International Climate Science Coalition -- an organization that’s funded, in part, by the fossil fuel industry -- blasted Leonardo DiCaprio for his work on “Carbon,” a new documentary on climate change that I helped write and present.