The Dispossessed Majority

6 posts / 0 new

Another excellent article by Dr. Paul Craig Roberts (you won't believe this guy worked for Ronald Reagan):

The bumper sticker on the beat-up pickup truck read: “Friends don’t let friends vote Democrat.”

The driver was obviously not affluent. Yet, despite all the news about mega-trillion dollar bankster bailouts, mega-million dollar bonuses for financial crooks, and unimaginable compensation packages for corporate CEOs who have moved middle class jobs out of America, something made the down-and-out pickup truck driver associate with the political party of the super-rich.

As I wondered at this strange alliance of the dirt poor with the mega-rich, I remembered that in 2004 Thomas Frank wondered about how the Republicans had managed to convince the poor to vote against their best interests. Frank’s answer, or part of his answer, is that the Republicans use “social issues,” such as gay marriage and Janet Jackson’s exposed nipple to work up indignation over the threat to moral values posed by liberal Democrats.

The working poor have been convinced by Republican propaganda that voting Democrat means giving the working poor’s tax dollars to the non-working poor, to providing medical care and schooling for illegal aliens, and being soft on terrorism.

To the pick-up truck driver, standing up for America means standing up for bankster bailouts and the military/security complex’s multi-trillion dollar wars.

The Karl Rove Dirty Tricks Team has honed the Republican propaganda. Republicans send each other via email an endless number of nonsense stories about Obama being a Muslim, about Obama being a Marxist, about Obama being a Manchurian Candidate turning America over to the New World Order or the United Nations, or to some other dastardly plotting organization. But never is Obama accused of turning the US over to Wall Street, the military/security complex, or Israel.

There is never any citation or source for the accusations in the emails. None are needed, because the words are what the Republicans want to hear. Ask them why Obama would be killing Muslims in seven countries if he was a Muslim, or why Wall Street and the military/security complex would put a Marxist in the White House, and they turn purple with rage. Just by asking the obvious questions instead of joining in the denunciations, a person confirms the propaganda that America is threatened by Obama dupes who won’t stand up for the country.

Full article here:

http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2012/08/08/the-dispossessed-majority/

I don't think Thom has ever had him on.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Comments

Politics is actually subterfuge.

Mind control by subliminal messaging used to be illegal, as was advertising pharmaceuticals.

Again, deregulation of everything was a poison pill we can stop chewing on.

anonymous green

Good article......Thanks!

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

What most poor republicans fail to realize is that Obama is a republican, as Clinton was before him. Their party is now the old Birchers. Some probably liked the Birchers, the 2010 had some screaming about flouride, too.

Military cuts will never come from Mitt. In 1952 the Rebublicans fought over the nomination with a liberal and a conservative. The liberal won and Eisenhower was popular, Obama is Ike. Maybe in 2016 Biden can be JFK instead of Nixon.

Empires and Plutocrats is a few articles by a visiting Georgetown University pof of Strategic studies. He also has a 28 year CIA career as a top analyst. The plutocrat article is about the 3rd scroll down. It shows that the founders were plutocrats in favor of debt to the masses and interest payments to the few.. Empires is about why they fail and 1st one at link.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

I disagree, and I believe that it's the mind control techniques employed by the right that lead so many to believe that Obama is 'no different' than a republican.

Nihilism will lead you to nothing.

For you, at least. For them, it will bring a Romney victory.

Don't jump ship with the rats. Obstructionism defeated every chance for Obama to make the changes he is trying to make.

Don't fail him now, from behind. He has enough to fight in front of him.

anonymous green

I would vote today for Ike over any in the republican party. I was born in the 50s. I know of the obstructionist block and their desire to restore Garfield, Coolidge, and Hoover values. [ I think Thom espoused this, I heard it live from somewhere recently]. My main focus is to save SocSec, and that's not Mitt.

As far as my 1952 comparison see if you don't think this would motivate red state turnout. Then look at the other choices in the right column. Militants are Us could be a frachise for the south. Read the comments, too. 1814 , John Paul Jones and other selections are great music, but still miltary glory. Nuke 'em would be the title song today, set to a drill squad cadence of course.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.