Gore Vidal, celebrated author, playwright, dies at 86

4 posts / 0 new

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/story/2012-08-01/gore-vidal-dies/56631952/1

We have lost a witty and eloquent voice of anti-establishment ideas and views. He was a charming speaker and great writer. Everyone should read at least one of his books-fiction or nonfiction. All of us old enough to remember the Buckley outburst-let's have a good laugh! Oh look righties-he served in the military.

DynoDon

Comments

Vidal was probably my favorite Leftist. I wonder how many progressives here know he didn't worship Lincoln.

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner

I think you would discover that many of us share an affinity with Vidal for a jaundiced view of heroes as well as the pieties of villains. Having read the historical series beginning with Burr avidly, I found it far from "fiction" in its core narrative. Gore was an insider with many reasons not to be duped by "greatness" or celebrity. He had "access," but he also had an active and inquisitive mind as well as a ton of writing talent.

I also found his essays on America up there with the best.

And his confrontations with American cultural attitudes about sex and gender. Just part of being a very relevant human being.

I miss him already.

drc2

He was a shining example of speaking truth to power. And I agreed with his thoughts on 9/11 and Oklahoma City.

DynoDon

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.