At least seven dead,including shooter, at Sikh Temple near Milwaukee

6 posts / 0 new

My sympathies go out today to those wounded and terrorized at a Sikh Temple near Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I am saddened at the violence in our country and the fact that people who should not have guns have committed another senseless act in our nation. I think that we need to have an honest conversation about guns in our country. I have nothing against responsible gun owners, but surely we can do something to prevent further travesties such as this from the WTMJ 620 AM in Milwaukee.

Sadly, I think that we will see little action on addressing ways to stop gun violence in our nation. I fear that Thom will address this topic tomorrow, and then in a few weeks or months, there will be yet another incident like this.

<a href="http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/165061026.html">7 dead, including shooter, after massacre at Sikh temple in Oak Creek</a>

OAK CREEK - Oak Creek, Wis. Police said that at least seven people are dead, including a shooter, during a massacre at a Sikh temple on Sunday.

A police officer was also shot and was in surgery at Froedtert Hospital, according to police spokesman Bradley Wentlandt.

Two others were also being treated at Froedtert for shooting wounds. They were in critical condition, according to initial reports.

They said they were preparing for more victims in a "mass casualty incident."

"The emergency medical personnel, the tactical personnel who have gone through the scene, they have initially identified what they believe to be four deceased inside the temple, and three deceased outside the temple, one of whom is the shooter," said Wendtlandt.

Police did not initially identify any additional gunman on scene, but did not rule out the possibility of additional shooters.

Regardless of our political differences, let us keep the victims of this tragedy in our hearts and prayers. I have been to Milwaukee many times and have passed through Oak Creek.

in the wake of human evil, I remind myself that there is still love in this world. We must unite to offer compassion to the dead and the wounded as well as their families. And yes, I think we need to serious discussion on ways to prevent these tragedies. I think that not even Seal Team Six would like to have been stuck in a situation like this with so many civilians. (I predict that someone will soon say as was said after the shooting in Aurora, Colorado that if everyone was armed, there would have been less loss of life.)

(On an entirely separate note, while I love the Thom Hartmann show, I think the boards could stand an upgrade. I have posted links here in the past and they do not appear properly. Please not that I have coded in raw HTML in the past. Perhaps Thom's staff can look at what software that Randi Rhodes and Mike Malloy use for their boards.)

will in chicago's picture
will in chicago

Comments

Some days you are embaressed to be an American.

DynoDon

As I said in another thread, stopping gun violence between individual citizens is going to be an uphill battle for a country that relies on gun violence to solve its international conflicts. If we worship violence on the macro level but are shocked when it happens on the micro level, we are guilty of being naive, at best, and utterly deluded at worst.

Our country is full of contradictions, though, with regard to violence. The dominant religious philosophy says "turn the other cheek" and "love thy enemy", but we do neither as a national policy. We watch our televisions, which are full of shows featuring well armed, consequence-free citizens who act with violence outside the legal systems which-in reality-was designed to prevent such actions by citizens in authority or not, as we imagine vigilantism is preferable to boring court trials.

When the Aurora massacre happened, many thought the shooting was part of the show because they were watching a movie where gun play was a feature of the plot. I didn't hear any in the media point out the chilling irony. Instead, they use words like "senseless" to describe the actions that, rather than attempt to understand the disease, place it in the realm of magic where it will not offend the sensibilities of violence worshipers and gun nuts.

The truth is, though, violence is to be expected given the prevailing paranoia and racist undertones of the right's rhetoric. The left are also very quick to point out how they "support the troops" though which is inconsistent with our desire for a rational foreign policy. The American right is fully conflicted, socially and internationally, and the left is half-way there.

The absolute worst part of it all is that culture is our country's biggest export. We package up and ship out our violence worship to the rest of the world for easy consumption. After more than six or seven decades of John Wayne "protecting our freedoms" on screen and rogue, government agents like Keifer Sutherland's character on 24, torturing and killing evil-doers, how can anyone be surprised that average citizens think violence is the answer. What's more surprising is that each time there's a horrific act of violence we can't wrap our minds around how it could possibly happen.

Are we really that dumb?

D_NATURED's picture
D_NATURED

The real pity is that the Sikhs are a good, peaceful people who have nothing to do with terrorism. I just watched a PBS show the same day about the murder of a Sikh in AZ after 9/11.

DynoDon

Just to clarify, the radio station that will in chicago referred to, which is a 50,000 watt station which I receive two states way, over Lake Michigan, has on several local conservative Republican talk show hosts. I don't quite understand why will mentioned the station; their hosts, I am pretty sure, would not be in favor of gun control of any type. One of these hosts is a former federal prosecutor. Shame on him if he opposes all forms of gun control.

No one really knows what to do with mentally deranged people who may show signs of a possible threat to themselves or others but who have not, as of yet, acted on their suggested threats. Doctors are not trained in understanding evil per se, I don't think.

Robindell's picture
Robindell
Quote Robindell:

Just to clarify, the radio station that will in chicago referred to, which is a 50,000 watt station which I receive two states way, over Lake Michigan, has on several local conservative Republican talk show hosts. I don't quite understand why will mentioned the station; their hosts, I am pretty sure, would not be in favor of gun control of any type. One of these hosts is a former federal prosecutor. Shame on him if he opposes all forms of gun control.

No one really knows what to do with mentally deranged people who may show signs of a possible threat to themselves or others but who have not, as of yet, acted on their suggested threats. Doctors are not trained in understanding evil per se, I don't think.

Understanding evil? As soon as they try they are corrupt. Evil is a religious and not a scientific diagnosis.

That moron in Aurora could have been stopped without a theater full of gun-toting Nugent fans. Instead, his crimes may have been prevented by a healthcare system that attempts to keep all Americans healthy rather than maintaining corporate profits. We make our country's health-especially mental health- a low priority and then we wonder why we're sick. We are crazy on a national level.

D_NATURED's picture
D_NATURED

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.