Paul Ryan is not the opponent of big government the left and right make him out to be.

19 posts / 0 new

Paul Ryan on Bailouts and Government Stimuli
-Voted YES on TARP (2008)
-Voted YES on Economic Stimulus HR 5140 (2008)
-Voted YES on $15B bailout for GM and Chrysler. (Dec 2008)
-Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)

Paul Ryan on Entitlement Programs
-Voted YES on limited prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. (Nov 2003)
-Voted YES on providing $70 million for Section 8 Housing vouchers. (Jun 2006)
-Voted YES on extending unemployment benefits from 39 weeks to 59 weeks. (Oct 2008)
-Voted YES on Head Start Act (2007)

Paul Ryan on Education
Rep. Ryan went along with the Bush Administration in supporting more federal involvement in education. This is contrary to the traditional Republican position, which included support for abolition of the Department of Education and decreasing federal involvement in education.

-Voted YES on No Child Left Behind Act (2001)

Paul Ryan on Civil Liberties
-Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
-Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
-Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)

Paul Ryan on War and Intervention Abroad
-Voted YES on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)
-Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
-Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)
-Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)

Congressman Ryan supports the United Nations, the World Trade Organization, federal bailouts, increased federal involvement in education, unconstitutional and undeclared wars, Medicare Part D (a multi trillion dollar unfunded liability), stimulus spending, and foreign aid.

According to Michelle Malkin in 2009, “[Paul Ryan] gave one of the most hysterical speeches in the rush to pass TARP last fall; voted for the auto bailout; and voted with the Barney Frank-Nancy Pelosi AIG bonus-bashing stampede. Milwaukee blogger Nick Schweitzer wrote: ‘He ought to be apologizing for his previous votes, not pretending he was being responsible the entire time, but I don’t see one bit of regret for what he did previously. And I’ll be damned if I’m going to let him get away with it’.”

Source: http://wi.rlc.org/2010/08/paul-ryans-record/

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/117830.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/117833.html

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner

Comments

News Flash!!!

Ryan picks Romney as running mate in Bold move to unseat tax cheat and take over Convention!

Gingrich hails Bold move as "Bold!"

anonymous green

Romney confirms Ryan as 'next President of the United States'!

Says we need a change, quick, pay no attention to the tax cheat behind the curtains.

anonymous green

Who on the left said that Paul Ryan is for limited government? No one on the left says that anyone on the right is for limited government. Only people on the right say that people on the right are for limited government, and they do exactly the opposite of what they say.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

They don't know their left from their right, ya caint really blame em.

anonymous green

Paul Ryan is for ending Medicare as we know it and slashing Medicaid, which means no funding for hospices.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Rachel Maddow made a comment on the "Up with Chris Hayes" show this morning about the setting for Romney's v.p. announcement that might not be on a commercial for the democrats. She said if two democrats that did not have a military service experience or come from a family with a military service background ran out onto the deck of a mothballed US battleship to make that announcement, they would be heavily criticized by the right for choosing that setting.

Makes me wonder also about the look in the Virginia governor McDonnell's eyes on being a bridesmaid and introducing the choice in the vp sweepstakes he was considered to be part of. Do you think he wanted to stage his own tea party, and throw either Ryan or Romney or both overboard for bypassing him and asking him to give the losers speech in his own state ?

miksilvr

"Paul Ryan is not the opponent of big government the left and right make him out to be."

Well, you could actually quote the left on how they feel about Ryan, and it will educate you on what exactly we 'make him out to be'.

We make him out to be exactly what he is: a conservative trying to end medicare, social security, cut welfare bennefits, raise taxes on the poor and cut taxes on the rich. I think it is obvious that his plan will reduce the size of government welfare.

These are the facts. How you want to dumb these facts down to say that the left thinks Ryan is an 'opponent of big government' is your problem, being the propagandist.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Notice how much of it he voted on before the advent of the Tea Party and it's takeover of the repubs. I don't think Tea Party Ryan would vote the same way now.

DynoDon

Remember-Reagan was a Democrat first too before he saw there was more money in cuddling up to corporate America.

DynoDon

from twitter :

Just a reminder that the anti-government Ayn Rand who says inspired him to seek office, ended up on Social Security + Medicare

Retweeted by

miksilvr
Quote miksilvr:

from twitter :

Just a reminder that the anti-government Ayn Rand who says inspired him to seek office, ended up on Social Security + Medicare

Retweeted by

"Ended up" ??? Medicare and SS are not optional programs, she had no choice in the matter.

WorkerBee's picture
WorkerBee
Quote Dr. Econ:

"Paul Ryan is not the opponent of big government the left and right make him out to be."

We make him out to be exactly what he is: a conservative trying to end medicare, social security, cut welfare bennefits, raise taxes on the poor and cut taxes on the rich. I think it is obvious that his plan will reduce the size of government welfare.

I think it would be fair to characterize the above, with the exception of raising taxes on the poor, as being an opponent of big government.

Quote Dr. Econ:

These are the facts. How you want to dumb these facts down to say that the left thinks Ryan is an 'opponent of big government' is your problem, being the propagandist.

If you don't think he is a opponent of big-government then you agree with him in principle that the government should play a prominent role in society. You just different on what you think government power should be used for.

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner
Quote WorkerBee:
Quote miksilvr:

from twitter :

Retweeted by

"Ended up" ??? Medicare and SS are not optional programs, she had no choice in the matter.

Last time i looked, paying into Medicare and Social Security was not voluntary, but receiving the funds from the government when you are eligible to file and collect them is voluntary. Just say no, if you do not believe in the programs.

miksilvr

Why can't Mr. Ryan "evolve?"

Pan Dulce's picture
Pan Dulce

Matt Taibbi tweeted this link today to his column about Ryan from April of 2011 :

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/tax-cuts-for-the-rich-on-the-backs-of-the-middle-class-or-paul-ryan-has-balls-20110407

miksilvr

I read anonymous green's post # 2 way before I saw the live shot of Mitt introducing Ryan "Welcome to the next president of the United States". He's been dabbling in quantum non-locality on the evolution thread.Yes I believe he's getting better, better all the time.

I saw Rachel comment on Chris' show. I thought maybe that is their prop and they're serious about cutting spending, and decomissioning Navy ships acoss the board just like the one they displayed in their best Vana White style.

Then Mitt said they were going to save medicare and social security, but got boos according to Chris. Mitt has been saying Obama wants to end Medicare as we know it, too. He has morphed so much he forgot he was running for President not VP, then he forgot he was a republican trying to cut medicare and social security.

Maybe it's some kind of envy and he just adopts the traits of the one he idolizes. He's going to have to evolve a lot more if he wants Obama's package, too.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Paul Ryan, the Republican Party’s latest entrant in the seemingly endless series of young, prickish, over-coiffed, anal-retentive deficit Robespierres they’ve sent to the political center stage in the last decade or so, has come out with his new budget plan. All of these smug little jerks look alike to me – from Ralph Reed to Eric Cantor to Jeb Hensarling to Rand Paul and now to Ryan, they all look like overgrown kids who got nipple-twisted in the halls in high school, worked as Applebee’s shift managers in college, and are now taking revenge on the world as grownups by defunding hospice care and student loans and Sesame Street. They all look like they sleep with their ties on, and keep their feet in dress socks when doing their bi-monthly duty with their wives.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/tax-cuts-for-the-rich-on-the-backs-of-the-middle-class-or-paul-ryan-has-balls-20110407#ixzz23HOl202E

Taibbi from miksilvr [I got your name now, thought you trying to illustrate quicksilver with your name before]

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Paul Ryan Only Passed 2 Bills Into Law In More Than A Decade

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/12/paul-ryan-bills_n_1769816.html

miksilvr

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.