The Republican Party just became the party of tax increases

2 posts / 0 new

As a report by the Center for American Progress uncovered – the current tax reform bill being pushed by Republicans would raise taxes on 24 million working and middle class Americans – that includes 9.2 million single parents. Meanwhile, it protects the Bush tax cuts for the top 2%.

A recent report by the Center on Budget Policy and Priorities found that the average millionaire received one million in tax cuts over the last decade thanks to the Bush tax cuts. The Democrats’ tax proposal – which raises taxes on the top 2% back to Clinton-era levels – would only hit 2 million people with a tax – the 2 million wealthiest Americans, that is.

So, the Republican proposal raises taxes on 12-times more Americans that the Democratic proposal. Shouldn’t Grover Norquist be freaking out? Or does he only care when rich people are hit with tax hikes?

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

What people fail to understand is that when Republicans talk about no more taxes, they are speaking to a very small constituency. More than likely, that doesn't include you and it certainly doesn't include me.

The local water/sewage agency raised fees for sewage to pay for a new treatment plant. My share...15% of my income. A millionaire's income per centage share is 1/1000th of 1%. per million earned. Translated to my income it's the equivalent of a penney. Ten million translates to 1/10 of a cent, etc.

So when they say "No new taxes" the statement is both true and false. Little or no new taxes for a few...and plenty of new taxes for others.

I can hardly wait to leave this state. Ten more months to go. If I don't starve-to-death, I'll leave on my own feet rather than being carried out in a box.

A tid bit for the poor. it costs 40 cents less to make unleavened bread.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.