Richard Nixon’s Drug War may be breathing its last gasps

5 posts / 0 new

Colorado, Washington, and Oregon all have measures on the ballot this November to give voters a chance to legalize marijuana in their state – and regulate it like alcohol or tobacco. And in at least one state – Colorado – that measure looks likely to pass. According to a new poll by Public Policy Polling – support for the marijuana legalization Amendment 64 has swelled 47% - with only 38% opposed to it.

PPP breaks down the support for marijuana legalization – finding that Independents are overwhelmingly driving support for the amendment – with 58% of independents supporting legalization in the state – and only 28% oppose. Once a state takes that step to legalizing marijuana – then the Drug War – and it’s billions of wasted dollars, it’s millions of ruined lives, and it’s bloodshed on the border will have a difficult time persisting. Keep an eye on this election.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

If only there was some way to instill in the Left that psychotic motivation for voting that the Right feels while simultaneously maintaining the Left's rationality on the issues, these measures would pass without a problem.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

I have long asserted that any state that legalizes marijuana will see tourism skyrocket, and get a huge economic boom. Overnight many industries like music and movies will relocate there.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

It's Illegal? Damn. You'd think after 42 years of toking someone woulda mentioned that. I'm pretty sure it's only illegal to sell it. It's a plant. Can't outlaw or tax mother nature. how silly is that? Well, if it does turn out some politikan cons enough to outlaw it, I guess the only logical solution would be to become an outlaw.

DdC's picture
DdC

The Hundredth Monkey by Ken Keyes Jr.

"There is a point at which the law becomes immoral and unethical. That point is reached when it becomes a cloak for the cowardice that dares not stand up against blatant violations of justice. A state that supresses all freedom of speech, and which by imposing the most terrible punishments, treats each and every attempt at criticism, however morally justified, and every suggestion for improvement as plotting to high treason, is a state that breaks an unwritten law."
- Kurt Huber [The head of White Rose], killed by the Nazis in 1943.

QUESTION: In Mexico, there are those who propose not keeping going with this battle and legalize drug trafficking and consumption. What is your opinion?

SECRETARY CLINTON: I don’t think that will work. I mean, I hear the same debate. I hear it in my country. It is not likely to work. There is just too much money in it,

Marijuana: the law vs. 12 million people
Life magazine Oct 31, 1969. 25-35

Should it be legalized? Soon we will know.
by DR. JAMES L. GODDARD
Man has used marijuana both socially and medicinally for several thousands of years and yet today there is little scientific knowledge of its dangers or merits. In spite of our lack of knowledge, an estimated 12 million Americans have used the drug in recent years. Now we are in a near crisis caused by ignorance and the blanket of misinformation which governmental agencies have used to cover their ineptitudes.

The Drug War Gravy Train By Daniel Forbes

POLICING FOR PROFIT

Money Grubbing Dung Worriers

Forfeiture $quads
L.A. Forfeiture Squads Kill California Millionaire

Kochroach & Aleech
Today many have had their eyes opened regarding the huge profits made off of what is commonly called the "Prison Industrial Complex." Suddenly awareness has turned from disbelief to anger as taxpayers realize the screwing private prison companies, their lobbyists and elected Legislators have been giving them for more than three decades now.

DdC's picture
DdC

Currently Chatting

Earth's credit card has been maxed out!

If Earth's resources were a credit card, we have already maxed out our entire allocation for this year. The think thank Global Footprint Network announced that August 19th was “Earth Overshoot Day,” meaning that all the resources we use after that day exceed what our planet can produce in a single year.