In South Africa police killed striking miners

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thom Hartmann A...
Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture

South Africa is reeling after police opened fire on striking miners Thursday, killing 34 people and wounding 78.  The massacre caps off a week-long strike with workers demanding a monthly-salary increase from $625 to over $1,500 – and calls to nationalize South Africa’s mines.

Police defended their actions, saying non-lethal force like water cannons and tear gas was used first, but after miners wielding machetes rushed a police line, they had no other choice but to open fire.  An official investigation has been launched.

The struggle working people are facing isn’t just exclusive to South Africa or the United States – it’s a global struggle up against the forces of globalism and transnational corporate power.

Comments

DynoDon
Romney/Ryan are taking notes

Romney/Ryan are taking notes on how to handle an uncooperative workforce. The strategy might also work on union organizing.

Karolina
Karolina's picture
I would imagine that since

I would imagine that since Africa has been designated to be the continent where the global resources come from in the transnational corporate oligarchs' game of Global Monopoly, the "human work force" must be made to understand that they are not sitting in the Global Monopoly Winner's Seat — they have been designated by the oligarch's and minions to be in the Slavish Corner.

Not quite sure where we were designated, but I believe we're in the Avid Consumer Audience, just watching the game and paying big time for the ticket to be there.

norske
norske's picture
The more things change... the

The more things change... the more they remain the same.

Romney, Ryan and Obama don't have to look as far away as South Africa for solutions to the labor problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6kuvBnNNUs

http://www.umwa.org/?q=content/ludlow-massacre

AjaxMinoan
AjaxMinoan's picture
  Shooting miners – how 19th

Shooting miners – how 19th century. I honestly can't even say if I think Romney and Ryan are appalled by it

I'm not voting for Obama again, but I can promise these two jerks aren't getting my vote. I'm not throwing it away either. I'm  making a statement about Jerky politicians. I wouldn't vote for one of these Ayn Rand reading creeps if they were cloned to look like Reagan.