Texas is poised to send one of their most radical politicians to the United States Senate

25 posts / 0 new

Last night, Texas Republicans voted for Tea Party-backed candidate Ted Cruz to be the Republican nominee for U.S. Senate – and it’s a virtual guarantee he’ll win the general election in November. So who is Ted Cruz? Well, as ThinkProgress reports – he believes that George Soros is leading a United Nation conspiracy to outlaw golf courses.

He also – like the Governor of Texas, Rick Perry – claims that Social Security is a Ponzi scheme. He believes that states should be able to overturn federal law – an idea that basically ignited the Civil War. He’s also a ranting Islamophobe. And he’ll soon be the next United States Senator from Texas. Well done, Lone Star State!

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Well, as the ads against Ted Cruz by David Dewhurst showed, Ted Cruz was also directly involved as a lawyer supporting a company that sent jobs to China--but, that apparently didn't get as much press. Apparently, David Dewhurst's downfall in the war on political advertisements was Cruz's allegation that Dewhurst, despite being called a Republican, was all for increasing taxes and centralizing federal power--and, despite any claim that the modern 'tea party' started it, a whole lot of people in Texas have always suspected government power in general--and federal power in particular. There is an historical basis for that position (against 'centralized power') here, also.....and it goes all the way back to the beginning of Texas--I think it goes all the way back to the beginning of America and the American Revolution......

Kerry's picture
Kerry
Quote Kerry:

Well, as the ads against Ted Cruz by David Dewhurst showed, Ted Cruz was also directly involved as a lawyer supporting a company that sent jobs to China--but, that apparently didn't get as much press. Apparently, David Dewhurst's downfall in the war on political advertisements was Cruz's allegation that Dewhurst, despite being called a Republican, was all for increasing taxes and centralizing federal power--and, despite any claim that the modern 'tea party' started it, a whole lot of people in Texas have always suspected government power in general--and federal power in particular. There is an historical basis for that position (against 'centralized power') here, also.....and it goes all the way back to the beginning of Texas--I think it goes all the way back to the beginning of America and the American Revolution......

Yeah, well, Texas has had more than its share of idiots and rattlesnakes for a long time.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

Texas gets their Bachmann. Still won't make Phil Gramm look good.

DynoDon

There must be some sort of mistake. Cruz could not have possibly won. Thom said that money always wins. Dewhurst outspent Cruz 3 -1. It must be voting machine fraud.

Redwing's picture
Redwing
Quote Ulysses:
Quote Kerry:

Yeah, well, Texas has had more than its share of idiots and rattlesnakes for a long time.

Het best economy in the us I'll take it.

http://chiefexecutive.net/best-worst-states-for-business-2012

Commonsense461

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/04/us-usa-deficits-states-idUSTRE...

How's that again?

"Experts say Texas' budget has been under pressure for years. The state used about $6.4 billion in federal funds from the 2009 Recovery Act to fill a shortfall in its 2010-2011 budget cycle, but those funds will not be available in the 2012-2013 period."

What-using Federal Funds?

"Texas has an ace up its sleeve -- a $9.4 billion "rainy day" fund the state has built up over the years, funded by a tax on the state's oil and natural gas production."

What-a tax surplus? In CA, the repub gov gave the surpluses back to the taxpayers.

http://www.texaspolicy.com/center/fiscal-policy/reports/texas-2012-13-bu...

What-growing dependence on Federal Receipts?

"However, on the other hand, they accompished some of these positives with accounting tricks and gimmicks....In short, they did little, if anything to change the footprint of government."

DynoDon
“They are going overboard, they are not experts, they are not historians,” she said. “They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world."
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

Ensuring future generations of uninformed voters who elect primates to national office.

After eight years of Bush, the Republicans actually tried to pitch Rick Perry as the 2012 nominee. What does it take to prove that Texas has nothing to offer the world except oil?

If we end our dependence on oil, Texas will go away.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor
Quote JTaylor:
“They are going overboard, they are not experts, they are not historians,” she said. “They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world."

Ensuring future generations of uninformed voters who elect primates to national office.

After eight years of Bush, the Republicans actually tried to pitch Rick Perry as the 2012 nominee. What does it take to prove that Texas has nothing to offer the world except oil?

Yeah until you outlaw natural gas too your still need us You need our refineries to do anything.

Commonsense461

We won't need natural gas either once hemp is legalized again. Everything that fossil fuels can do, hemp can do without poisoning the Earth. Does Texas have anything except fossil fuels and moronic leaders? No. It's like Saudi Arabia. The rest of us can get by just fine without either.

Isn't that what Texans want anyway? The Lone Star State has had a history of wanting to secede from the Union. So, let them and they can take their poisonous fossil fuels and their misinformative school textbooks and their braindead politicians with them.

• Texas is #49 in verbal SAT scores in the nation (493) and #46 in average math SAT scores (502).
  • Texas is #36 in the nation in high school graduation rates (68%).
  • Texas is #33 in the nation in teacher salaries. Teacher salaries in Texas are not keeping pace with the national average. The gains realized from the last state-funded across-the-board pay raise authorized in 1999, which moved the ranking from 33 to as high as 26th in the nation, have disappeared over the last five years.
  • Texas was the only state in the nation to cut average per pupil expenditures in fiscal year 2005, resulting in a ranking of #40 nationally; down from #25 in fiscal year 1999.
  • Texas is #6 in the nation in student growth. The general student population in Texas public schools grew by 11.1% between school years 1999 and 2005, with the largest percent of growth seen among low income and minority children.
  • Between school years 1999 and 2005, the number of central administrators employed by Texas public schools grew by 32.5%, overall staffing in public schools grew by 15.6%, while the number of teachers grew only 13.3%.
    http://www.window.state.tx.us/comptrol/wwstand/wws0512ed/

Texas. Ensuring future generations of uninformed voters who elect primates to national office.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

Well said JTaylor!!!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

You ever think that the millions of imagrants legal and other wise might bring these scores down?

Commonsense461
Quote Commonsense461:
Quote Ulysses:
Quote Kerry:

Het best economy in the us I'll take it.

http://chiefexecutive.net/best-worst-states-for-business-2012

Based on what? Texass and Mall Wart: Always Low Wages, Always...

Never progressive, always reactionary, good quality of life if your IQ is 85 -95 and you exult in the redneck lifestyle. Whoopee.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses
Quote Commonsense461:

You ever think that the millions of imagrants legal and other wise might bring these scores down?

Actually, I just figure that the American morons who run Texass' schools don't know how to do it and nobody wants to pay anything for quality education there, so that's what keeps the scores down. Big cars, big hair, big egos, small brains.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses
Quote Commonsense461:
Quote JTaylor:

Yeah until you outlaw natural gas too your still need us You need our refineries to do anything.

If there was any realistic way to do it, I'd love to cut all of you goddam neo-Confederates loose, but you'd leave without any Federal resources because all red states already take more out of the Federal treasury than they put into it. In some ways, it is too bad the Confederacy lost the Civil War, because it kept the rest of us saddled with you jackasses.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses
Quote Commonsense461:

No, because 'imagrants' didn't make you misspell immigrants or use such terrible grammar. Ridiculous Texan schoolbooks edited by right-wing Christian fundamentalists did. They don't want Texans to be educated because then it will be easier to make Texans believe that illegal immigrants are the problem, and then Texans will vote for whatever unevolved racist monkey that says he'll get tough on illegal immigrants.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor
Quote JTaylor:
Quote Commonsense461:

No, because 'imagrants' didn't make you misspell immigrants or use such terrible grammar. Ridiculous Texan schoolbooks edited by right-wing Christian fundamentalists did. They don't want Texans to be educated because then it will be easier to make Texans believe that illegal immigrants are the problem, and then Texans will vote for whatever unevolved racist monkey that says he'll get tough on illegal immigrants.

You mean like the Cuban we just nominated over the white guy for amnisty

Commonsense461
Quote Commonsense461:
Quote JTaylor:

Correction. What does it take to prove that Texas has nothing to offfer except for oil, natural gas, and brisket? If we end our dependence on this, Texas may as well be Mississippi.

al3's picture
al3
Quote Commonsense461:You mean like the Cuban we just nominated over the white guy for amnisty

Amnesty. English is the hardest language on Earth to learn, and many Americans can't even speak it properly because our educational standards keep getting lower. Conservative states like Texas and other racist Confederate failures always like to stress that if people come to America, they need to learn English. Look to yourselves before telling everyone else how to live.

As for electing a Cuban over a white guy, that only indicates that the white guy was even dumber than the Cuban. It does nothing to diminish the fact that Texas school books are a misinformative load of scientific and historical half-truths and outright religious lies edited by right-wing Christian fundamentalists who want to ensure that future generations of uninformed voters keep electing primates to national office.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

Peace already!!!! Those of you who live in Texas make a big noise against this tea-party candidate and help elect someone who will actually care about the middle class and environment. That might actually mean that you have to get up off your seat, away from the computer sometimes to hand out leaflets or go to headquarters to make and take calls.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Well, Missouri isn't much better. A top runner for the U.S. Senate spot on the Republican ticket has Sara Palin's endorsement. The status quo candidate is running against the status quo. Almost funny...and probably many will believe it.

She's pushing a Balanced Budget Amendment...forgetting that the nation was established without a penny in the treasury. Bills to pay...no money. It had to be financed before tax revenues began flowing in.

Most now-established Republics found themselves in the same boat. All of them run behind. That's just the way it functions.

I can see the Federal Government now...waiting for tax revenues to come in before it fights a fire in a National Forest....while half a state burns to the ground.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Texans have their share of fundamentalists, corporatists, and bigots at the helm of state power. Last candidate for governor that I voted for was Kinky Friedman. I am certainly against Texas schoolbooks trying to downcast the influence of Thomas Jefferson since the most that I have read about in early American history was Thomas Jefferson.

But, let me make a couple of points about the modern public schools--in Texas and I am sure elsewhere. I have repeatedly compared the 'right of medical care' to the 'right of education'. I have stated that, once government gives one person access to a service as if a right, in a representative government of 'all the people', government shouldn't be allowed to play favorites or 'pick and choose' who should get such rights and who shouldn't. It's against 'equal opportunity', 'equal protection of the law', and 'equal access with the law'--just about every premise and sense of justice we could have in the integrity of a representative government being unbiased and fair. I have compared that to how education has been approached ever since the modern era--everyone has had a right to a basic education supported by government for all of my lifetime and more.

But, now, thanks to lawsuits that go beyond the rational realm of 'equal education', many who are uneducable--or at least have been labelled that way--are now being put in regular classes in the exact fashion that 'separate was not considered equal' with racial segregation. I added the 'or at least have been labelled that way' because school funding is adjusted upward (by state and federal grants) depending how many more 'learning disabled' and 'non-English speaking students' that they have. School funding is also adjusted upward (by state and federal grants) depending upon how many students require 'alternative education' as a means of 'conditioning aberrant behavior'--instead of placing them in a corner, having them do extra homework or chores around the school, or even paddling them as was done in my day and age. All of this has been endorsed through extra funding--which, to me, seems to debase the very 'equality' issue that it presupposed in the lawsuits that brought this about. And, it certainly is against the social spirit of 'equality' as in, in any way, promoting 'mutual respect'.

My wife, who is a nursing manager in our local hospital, at one time wanted to get away from all the hospital bureaucratic impositions and the hand-tying and back-biting that always seems to promote and become a school teacher. She even went all the way through our local college to get the degree. However, once she reached the part (at the end of her studies) where she actually monitered a classroom, she went back into nursing realizing that schools offer the same forms of bureaucracy with what she believed to be worse results. Some of the learning disabled--where the lawsuits done on their behalf said that 'equal education' meant that they couldn't be separated from the rest of their class despite their condition ('separate always meant unequal')--were taking up an inordinate amount of time for the teachers at the expense of the rest of the class.

But, others distracted the class in a different way. My wife described one case where the student pegged as 'learning disabled' came to a regular class and would just sit at his desk. Not open one book. Not write one thing down. Would only occasionally glance at the teacher. And, then, when the teacher handed out homework assignment sheets, as that student was leaving the class, he would throw the homework assignment sheet in the trash besides the teacher's desk just before leaving the class and never do it--and the teacher could do nothing and that student was still promoted (you know, failing students might affect their personal 'sense of worth and wellbeing'--which, also, could bring out a lawsuit). I wonder how much that action 'promotes' the behavior of other kids to do good in school. I guess, in the name of 'equality' (and forget about 'mutual respect'), there is no more need for class discipline unless handled by the other financially enhanced state method--'alternative school'. All based on how schools are funded. Medicine has that counterpart, also......

And, we wonder why our public education is going to hell in a handbasket. I can see how some may argue for vouchers to private schools because private schools have the right to refuse students and the right to remove them and fail them--and the capacity to still discipline them......

Kerry's picture
Kerry
Quote polycarp2:

I can see the Federal Government now...waiting for tax revenues to come in before it fights a fire in a National Forest....while half a state burns to the ground.

............as long as it's a reactionary Teabagger state, at this point my sentiment is..........BURN BABY BURN......

al3's picture
al3
Quote polycarp2:

Oh, you mean like Federal Government bashin,' tough talkin,' cow-dude tough guy Gov Rick Perry begging the Feds for money to fight HIS wildfires last year? After Perry used a loophole to dramatically increase HIS State pension?

Don't know how that story ended, but I'll be p*ssed if the Feds gave them a penny. F**k 'em. Live by the sword die by the sword. Communities can put out 100 year wildfires in Texas.

al3's picture
al3

One pundit said yesterday that Texas has 2 parties-both of them repub. Tea Party vs establishment. I think Texas may be a picture of our national future. It's not a place where you want to be poor-they offer less in services. But they need the poor and illegal to provide cheap labor for the upper class. And the middle is being carved out.

DynoDon

Currently Chatting

Is George Zimmerman Right?

It's time to listen to George Zimmerman. Seriously, and I'll explain in a minute.