Title of “President of the United States” to change to “Corporate Liaison to the Peasantry”

8 posts / 0 new

it is what it is

telliottmbamsc's picture
telliottmbamsc

Comments

No, it isn't what you pretend it is.

anonymous green

Serfs. The proper term is serfs. Serfs get to elect their own "Liason to the Serfs" from among a vetted, hand-picked few..

Our wealth distribution resembles that of early Medieval Europe. Peasants came along in the later stages.Peasants were pretty common by the time of King Louis 16th. He tried going back to an earlier time. Completely lost his head over the idea.

I wouldn't mind being a peasant. I'd have my own little house and garden.

Serfdom stinks even though in our version of it I am free to travel from one location to another..Exchanging one boss for another is perfectly acceptable in our version. In the original serfdom, it wasn't. You needed permission.

"May I see your papers?" Hmmm. Maybe some serfs still need permission. I guess all serfs aren't equal. Serfs and sub-serfs. Sub-serfs don't have an elected liason though I hear some have an appointed one they refer to as warden..

Retired Monk - "ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

One of your better offerings Elliott. However, I'm still voting for him.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Yep, the Reform Emperor cannot really identify with being a Man of the People because it scares the people with the knives at the top. Public adulation is a different thing, and being seen as a Great Leader is common dictator pose. What Obama has managed to do in his time in the White House is provide a human face and touch with real family values and middle class integrity in the First Family.

That makes him "one of us" in very American WASP Leave it to Beaver images. If we were color blind or post-racial, it would be the obvious truth. Obama is less Black than a pure "ghetto-raised" urban version; but it would be a sign of bridging the gap that he is also European-American and suburban. More than "us" is included in what he symbolizes in "one of us." We use Obama to move ahead to pluralism and eventually to triviality in race.

What did people actually hope would change? What price did they think it would cost them to get their wishes? I am disappointed in America and the corrupt ideologues in power. I try to use my anger to work for justice and to connect with the humanity of the abused. I have no idea how long it will take for this to change, and I don't know what power, strategy or force can get it done. Until it is a lot clearer that my outrage will not harm the innocent, I am voting lesser evil, at least at the top of the ticket.

And thanks to Poly for distinguishing us honest peasants from those "serfs" whose masters bind them to their workdays and servitude. We, the honest yoemen, have the rights of the Commons and a house to call our own. We should not be satisfied with this elemental 'freedom' when our domestication comes from our Stockholm Lager. On the other hand, it is good that the measure of human happiness is not what the Masters of Commerce would have it be. The fact that a lot of Tea Party imagery is about the good, simple, country life or romanticized "peasant virtues" is worth remembering as we recreate human community. In this sense, "peasant" is a better image than "middle class" to use as the ground for our moral understanding. "Paisano," or "Brother" is about this grounded peasant identity beyond and far firmer than being "middle class."

We should be bothered by Romney's dismissal of the poor from his concerns (or scripted memes). Maybe he would provide a better safety net for "them" once he actually was king; but in his campaign rhetoric, we are spending too much on "entitlements" like Medicaid and food stamps. Still, the issue is how we fail to identify with the poor if we are still in the Middle Class. If we could identify the peasant virtues and values of a real Middle Class, we would not need a safety net because we would be with the poor instead of dropping crumbs from our banquet tables and demanding gratitude for our charity.

I can appreciate the political value of the Middle Class meme and why Obama avoids being an Angry Black Guy to help convince us to believe we are all in this together. We are, but so are a lot of innocent people beyond our borders. And some guilty ones too. I think we get a more accurate picture of what's in it for us when we connect as peasants directly and against serfdom for sure.

drc2

Well, the Pres. is an elected liason of sorts...one who can speak for all of the people to the powerful interests that have captured this country. So I really have no problem with the term.

Serfs should stop attacking on another. They'd be better off being united.

Serfs working for government are in the same boat the rest are, even though they may get a cupcake on their dinner plate.

Instead of insisting the cupcake be removed, the other serfs should demand one as well.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Cupcakes for everyone!!!

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Re: " I have no idea how long it will take for this to change, and I don't know what power, strategy or force can get it done."

Plese see the interesting essay by Patrice Ayme at

http://patriceayme.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/create-a-new-branch-of-gover...

about a new branch of the government called truth.

pshakkottai's picture
pshakkottai

Currently Chatting

Has Kansas Found the Cure for the Reaganomics Disease?

Reaganomics is like a bad disease; It just keeps on spreading. Thanks to 34 years of failed Reaganomics, the gap between the wealthy elite in America and everyone else is at an all-time high.