Wasserman Schultz lies - Again.

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
mjolnir
mjolnir's picture

This morning on Fox News Sunday Schultz said she didn't know what was the political affiliation of the super pac run by Bill Burton while trying to deny guilt by association with the ad inferring Romney contributed to the death of Joe Soptic's wife. One lie compounded by another one. Shame on you Debbie.  

Comments

anonymous green
"I really could care less

"I really could care less what you say or think."

From the Thesaurus of Useful Responses to Right Wingnuts

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
What lies? The Soptic family

What lies? The Soptic family had a job and insurance. Then came Bane, they lost their insurance, and the woman died.
As for the SuperPAC, if DWS does not know them, and she does not coordinate with them, then how would she know?
We can all see who the liar is here.

Redwing
Redwing's picture
This is simple.   Mitt Romney

This is simple.

Mitt Romney left Bain in 1999 to work on Olympics.

GST Steel in Kansas City was shut down in 2001.
 Top Obama bundler Jonathan Lavine was in charge of Bain Capital at the time.
 Soptic was offered a buy-out.
 Soptic took another job but declined to purchase their insurance plan.
 Soptic’s wife had her own health insurance plan through 2003.
 In 2006, Soptic’s wife was diagnosed — diagnosed! — with very late-stage cancer.
 She died 22 days after diagnosis.
 The pro-Obama PAC Priorities USA cuts an ad blaming Romney for her death.

Move on.

Brookesmith
The ad was still a big fat

The ad was still a big fat lie. Soptic's wife had a job with her own insurance. Her cancer death was 5 years after GST Steel was shut down.

"

“The Obama campaign has now admitted that it lied to the media and the American people in a disgraceful attempt to conceal their connection to this shameful [cancer-death] smear,” said a statement from Ryan Williams, a Romney spokesman.

“Americans deserve better — they deserve a president who’s willing to run an honest campaign and be honest about his own record,” he said.

The RNC also put the boot in.

“Jen Psaki is now admitting the campaign DID have knowledge of the Soptic family’s cancer story despite telling reporters yesterday the campaign didn’t,” said a Aug. 9 statement from RNC spokeswoman Kirsten Kukowski.

“Yet Team Obama still won’t condemn Priorities USA for trying to smear Romney by tying him to a woman’s death,” she said."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/10/obama-campaign-finally-tells-truth-on-misleading-super-pac-ad/#ixzz23MRLgfLX

We sure can see who the liar is here. It is obama and his lackies.  You need to get your facts straight, P76, before you go spouting off.

Pan Dulce
Pan Dulce's picture
What happened to

What happened to Blabbermouth-Schultz's hair?

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
The ad has never aired. The

The ad has never aired. The ad never said Bain killed Soptic's wife. The ad said what Soptic felt, which was not a lie. It is illegal to know anything about a superpac if you are in Chairwoman  Schultz's position.I know it's hard to accept that you opponent obey's the law, and can win without cheating.

Again, THE AD HAS NEVER AIRED.

mjolnir
mjolnir's picture
douglaslee wrote:[...]The ad

douglaslee wrote:
[...]The ad never said Bain killed Soptic's wife.[...]

mjolnir wrote:
[...]ad inferring Romney contributed to the death of Joe Soptic's wife.[...]

I never said that it outright did. It IMPLIES a causal relationship that is simply not true.

anonymous green
mjolnir wrote: douglaslee

mjolnir wrote:

douglaslee wrote:
[...]The ad never said Bain killed Soptic's wife.[...]

mjolnir wrote:
[...]ad inferring Romney contributed to the death of Joe Soptic's wife.[...]

I never said that it outright did. It IMPLIES a causal relationship that is simply not true.

"I can't think of a single reason why I should ever listen to a thing you say."

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
Brookesmith wrote: The ad was

Brookesmith wrote:

The ad was still a big fat lie. Soptic's wife had a job with her own insurance. Her cancer death was 5 years after GST Steel was shut down.

"

“The Obama campaign has now admitted that it lied to the media and the American people in a disgraceful attempt to conceal their connection to this shameful [cancer-death] smear,” said a statement from Ryan Williams, a Romney spokesman.

“Americans deserve better — they deserve a president who’s willing to run an honest campaign and be honest about his own record,” he said.

“Jen Psaki is now admitting the campaign DID have knowledge of the Soptic family’s cancer story despite telling reporters yesterday the campaign didn’t,” said a Aug. 9 statement from RNC spokeswoman Kirsten Kukowski.

“Yet Team Obama still won’t condemn Priorities USA for trying to smear Romney by tying him to a woman’s death,” she said."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/10/obama-campaign-finally-tells-truth-on-misleading-super-pac-ad/#ixzz23MRLgfLX

We sure can see who the liar is here. It is obama and his lackies.  You need to get your facts straight, P76, before you go spouting off.

So Bane destroyed the company, while Romney was the President and CEO and sole owner of Bane, and Mr Soptic makes claims about how he feels about that, and you want to blame Mr. Soptic? Fine.

MrsBJLee
MrsBJLee's picture
Wow.....and I bet that there

Wow.....and I bet that there are NO ad's that Romney has out that is an out right LIE! NO ROMNEY WOULDN'T DO THAT NOW WOULD HE?

Brookesmith
Phaedrus76 wrote: Brookesmith

Phaedrus76 wrote:

Brookesmith wrote:

"

So Bane destroyed the company, while Romney was the President and CEO and sole owner of Bane, and Mr Soptic makes claims about how he feels about that, and you want to blame Mr. Soptic? Fine.

Soptic didn't just make claims, he lied by implying that his layoff led to his wife being uninsured and dying of cancer because of lack of insurance. When in fact she had insurance from her job until she was laid off.  Then Obama lied about having any knowledge of the ad. I'll put my money that big mouth DWS knew about it too. I blame all of them, while you are trying to cover for them.

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
Brookesmith wrote: Phaedrus76

Brookesmith wrote:

Phaedrus76 wrote:

Brookesmith wrote:

"

Soptic didn't just make claims, he lied by implying that his layoff led to his wife being uninsured and dying of cancer because of lack of insurance. When in fact she had insurance from her job until she was laid off.  Then Obama lied about having any knowledge of the ad. I'll put my money that big mouth DWS knew about it too. I blame all of them, while you are trying to cover for them.

It is a SuperPAC, The POTUS legally would have no coordination with them. How can you be blaming Obama, for Rmoney and Bane to shut this company down, and send the jobs offshore?

Brookesmith
Maybe the POTUS has illegally

Maybe the POTUS has illegally coordinated with them? Psaki admitted that shel lied about Obama's campaign not having knowledge of Soptic's cancer. THEY LIED!  Romney was not at Bain Capital when GST Steel was shut down. What you are trying to do is make a ridiculously false connection with Romney and Soptic's cancer.  The fact is Obama and his ilk are liars  and got caught with their pants down.

Redwing
Redwing's picture
Notice how the discussion has

Notice how the discussion has shifted from the useful idiot Joe Soptic's BS claims, to "Obama cannot control the super pac ads".  

How can Obama even have a super pac if his average contribution is less than $50?

Brookesmith
Super pacs, which can take

Super pacs, which can take unlimited amounts of donations from corporations, unions, individuals, etc, and spend it on unlimited advertising for the candidate they support. However, they are prohibited from working in conjunction with that candidate. 

That is the contention here. It appears that the Obmam campaign and DNC big mouth DWS did at least have knowledge and give subtle approval of the lying, misleading ad.

IMO, super pacs should be made illegal. They give corporations and rich fuckers too much influence with their money.

Paleo-con
Come on Redwing, you should

Come on Redwing, you should be thankful.  I really appreciate the reference to President Obama's relationship with a Super PAC.  I plan on keeping this gem handy for the first reference to Romney being responsible for Super PAC content.

Quote:
It is a SuperPAC, The POTUS legally would have no coordination with them.

Redwing
Redwing's picture
Just because Joe Soptic wears

Just because Joe Soptic wears the same shirt in an Obama super pac ad and a DNC ad you may be jumping to unfounded conclusions.  Maybe the poor guy is just low on laundry, or his makeup coordinator thinks he looks the most pathetic in that mouse grey color.

Brookesmith
Paleo, mjolnir, notice how

Paleo, mjolnir, notice how the moonbat clan stops responding when they are proven wrong?

anonymous green
Brookesmith wrote: Paleo,

Brookesmith wrote:

Paleo, mjolnir, notice how the moonbat clan stops responding when they are proven wrong?

"What an immensely moot issue you've found to support your already tired arguments over nothing."

The Thesaurus of Useful Responses To Right Wing Manchurian Americans

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
Redwing wrote: Notice how the

Redwing wrote:

Notice how the discussion has shifted from the useful idiot Joe Soptic's BS claims, to "Obama cannot control the super pac ads".  

How can Obama even have a super pac if his average contribution is less than $50?

Obama doesn't have a SuperPAC. It is an independent firm, with no coordination. For Jesus Fucking Christ's sake, if you stupid fucktards are going to push legislation from the judiciary, then learn the rules. Obama is not getting any of these donations, they are the SuperPAC's. 

Brookesmith
Obama is not getting any

Obama is not getting any political boost from deceptive, lying, misleading campaign ads from Super Pac, Priorities USA either. LOL  They already admitted they LIED about having any connection to soptic and his wife's cancer. Bet they knew all along about the ad.

Again, super pacs should be made illegal. They give rich people and corporations too much leverage with their money.

ProudPrimate
ProudPrimate's picture
The level of stupidity in

The level of stupidity in this thread is staggering.

Here is the simple, un-spun version:

Joe Soptic had a good, long term job at 45k.  The argument can be made that Bain is not to blame for the company's demise, saying that the steel industry was overall unready for the rise in foreign competition.  This argument neglects the hundreds of millions of debt Bain forced on GST, ten times its annual budget, and the 9 million profit Bain extracted.  But these are issues that can be argued.

Soptic lost his job, in this arguable mishandling.  He and his coworkers clearly see Bain as the offending member.  The ad is defensible, but the discussion does get into the weeds.

What is not in doubt is the egregious Breitbart-style tactics (devil trouble his soul) that the GOP and minions are using as standard fare against Obama.  The two that come to mind first are the INTENTIONAL MISQUOTE from the Obama speech, "if we talk about the economy, we are finished".
That is misrepresented as him talking about his own campaign, when in fact he was quoting the McCain campaign.  Saturday Night Live should do them misquoting Romney misquoting Obama misquoting McCain.  That could be entertaining.  This is not.

The other egregious lie from the GOPers is the other INTENTIONAL MISQUOTE, again Breitbart-style (too bad there's no hell for such scoundrels) taking Obama out of context "you didn't build that", which anybody who hears the original knows he referred to the highways and bridges and schools, but even today Ryan says, "if you run a small business, YOU DID BUILD THAT", continuing the lie that their crowd is SO EAGER to continue to eat up.

Get out of here with your lies you skunks.

Paleo-con
Phaedrus76 wrote:Obama

Phaedrus76 wrote:
Obama doesn't have a SuperPAC. It is an independent firm, with no coordination. For Jesus Fucking Christ's sake, if you stupid fucktards are going to push legislation from the judiciary, then learn the rules. Obama is not getting any of these donations, they are the SuperPAC's. 

Let's see if President Obama agrees with you..

Quote:
“Obama continued with incredulity: ‘The fact is this is somebody who worked for John Edwards, for the last who knows how many years, who’s a good friend and colleague of Edwards, who’s now running a 527 that is running ads on behalf of John Edwards. [Laugh] You’re telling me he has no influence over him? That’s not true. If [Obama communications director] Robert Gibbs started running a 527 and I called Robert Gibbs and said, ‘Stop running ads on my behalf,’ are you suggesting I would have no influence over Robert Gibbs?’” (Ben Smith and Lisa Lerer, “Obama Questions Edwards’ Toughness,” Politico, 12/23/07)

Nope, it would appear that President Obama clearly thinks a candidate has influence over what a Super PAC does.

anonymous green
Brookesmith wrote: Obama is

Brookesmith wrote:

Obama is not getting any political boost from deceptive, lying, misleading campaign ads from Super Pac, Priorities USA either. LOL  They already admitted they LIED about having any connection to soptic and his wife's cancer. Bet they knew all along about the ad.

Again, super pacs should be made illegal. They give rich people and corporations too much leverage with their money.

"What an immensely moot issue you've found to support your already tired arguments over nothing."

The Thesaurus of Useful Responses To Right Wing Manchurian Americans

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
He was talking about

He was talking about situations where a long time associate starts a SuperPAC. Like Mittens group has done. His partner at Bane, for 20 years, and lawyer have a SuperPac. It operates from the same address as Bane where Mittens has an office until 2002, and Mittens still owns the company. 

mjolnir
mjolnir's picture
@Phaedrus 76   You don't

@Phaedrus 76   You don't consider Bill Burton "a long time associate"?

Redwing
Redwing's picture
Phaedrus76 wrote: Obama

Phaedrus76 wrote:

Your upbringing is showing again.

http://www.obamasuperpac.com/

http://www.prioritiesusaaction.org/

Paleo-con
Phaedrus76 wrote: He was

Phaedrus76 wrote:

He was talking about situations where a long time associate starts a SuperPAC. Like Mittens group has done. His partner at Bane, for 20 years, and lawyer have a SuperPac. It operates from the same address as Bane where Mittens has an office until 2002, and Mittens still owns the company. 

One of the first rules to observe when one has dug themselves into a hole, is to put the shovel down.

Quote:
Burton served as deputy press secretary at the White House under President Barack Obama. He was among the first hires on the Obama for America campaign, where he was national press secretary.

http://www.politico.com/arena/bio/bill_burton.html 

DynoDon
The conservative SCOTUS

The conservative SCOTUS invents Super Pacs and righties are complaining about demos responding to the new rules of the game! I'll be waiting for Romney to deny his Super Pacs first.

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
anonymous green wrote: "I

anonymous green wrote:

I knew I saw that idom somewhere. Note, the idiom is the phrase I could care less

I didn't include the variation I REALLY could care less, so the results may change.

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
anonymous green wrote: "I

anonymous green wrote:

I knew I saw that idom somewhere. Note, the idiom is the phrase I could care less

I didn't include the variation I REALLY could care less, so the results may change. Lets take a look.

Quote:

32. “I could care less”:

The traditional idiomatic expression is “I couldn’t care less.” It first appeared in print in 1946 and means “I’m completely uninterested” or “I’m utterly indifferent.”

A shortened version, “I could care less,” has been gaining popularity in the United States since the 1960s. It has much the same meaning as the original expression plus an ironic twist. The OED’s first published reference appeared in 1966.

Although many people are disturbed by the abbreviated American idiom, it is probably here to stay. It’s obviously intended ironically. The message is something like “I don’t even distinguish this by identifying it as the thing I care least about in the world.”

You might be interested in reading what Steven Pinker says on the subject of “I could care less,” which he calls “an alleged atrocity” and a favorite target of language mavens.

As he points out in his book The Language Instinct, the melodies and stresses in intonation between “I couldn’t care less” and “I could care less” are completely different and indicate youthful sarcasm: “By making an assertion that is manifestly false or accompanied by ostentatiously mannered intonation, one deliberately implies its opposite. A good paraphrase is, ‘Oh yeah, as if there was something in the world that I care less about.’ ”

Whatever

Paleo-con
DynoDon wrote: The

DynoDon wrote:

The conservative SCOTUS invents Super Pacs and righties are complaining about demos responding to the new rules of the game! I'll be waiting for Romney to deny his Super Pacs first.

It's just a nit, but Super PACs were created by the SpeechNow.org v. Federal Election Commission ruling from the Court of Appeals for the Washington DC Circuit.  It never made it to SCOTUS.

mjolnir
mjolnir's picture
http://www.washingtonpost.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/debbie-wasserman-s...

"The Pinocchio Test

Klein’s quote was exactly accurate, meaning Wasserman Schultz falsely accused the Examiner of misquoting her. The DNC chair earns Four Pinocchios." 

drc2
These attacks on the Jewish

These attacks on the Jewish Woman in Congress have a certain 'unity' in the Rightwing pr games.  She speaks boldy and is the image of a tough liberal woman.  Gotta hate her.  It's so easy to line up the anger buttons.

Whether or not you Bain Defenders will admit it, when people lose their pensions and benefits, they find the prices of the substitutes foreboding and start weighing options and risks.  Some people don't complain about pains that might prove to be expensive.  They want to wish them away.  Your belittling of the story in the ad is about the big picture truth being presented, and it is what Romney's business plan did to people.

As for the outside money and ads, we get incredible lying and editing from the Right and occasional complaints about exaggeration on the Left.  I hate the whole PAC dynamic and like what Colbert has done to mock them.  It may be that there is tacit coordination on the Left while it is barely tacit on the Right.  If it has to be mud wrestling, I want some tough wrestlers who are willing to get dirty on my side.  Does that improve your image of Ms. Debbie?  I am trying to make sense to Righties here.

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
Most of Bain's liquidations

Most of Bain's liquidations were unneccessary and only pursued for their vulture's picnic. They all had cash flow, low debt [that is a flag for the bain vultures] physical assets...Their only problem was a return of less than the 20% romney gets for liquidation [and even if it was higher wouldn't matter, because the shareholder return was never a concern, just bain's]

One other component of the bain playbook, besides the fraudulent conveyance, is insurance fraud. PBGC is the insurance company all of bains targets paid premiums to, if they ever had to liquidate. Pension liability is a cost on any company's balance sheet. Bankruptcy negates the pension liability and the insurance picks up the pensions. Bankruptcy is always the goal in a PE vulture attack. The PBGC is a GSE [taxpayer gaurantee]. Romney screws the employees and the government, and the public at large, let's elect him president.

mjolnir
mjolnir's picture
@drc2 You wasting your time

@drc2 You wasting your time using your "code" words in relation to Mrs. Shultz, at least as far as I am concerned, because they don't evoke any reactions from me. I can care less that she is a "tough", "bold", "liberal", "Jewish Woman". She's just another politician caught in another bare faced lie. This lie happened to involve the Ambassador to our foremost ally in the Middle East. If it were Steele or Priebus the "main stream" media would be covered up with it, as it is, barely a whisper.

drc2 wrote:
[...]I want some tough wrestlers who are willing to get dirty on my side.[...]
If lieing for efficacy is okay in your book do you take a moral stand at any level?

drc2
My point is that the blackest

My point is that the blackest kettles are complaining about the tiniest spots on the pot.  I would like to have public financing and debates free from money raising concerns.  If we could have a decent forum, we could demand decency.  But in this money corrupted pr game, I want tough campaigners taking on the Roves, not some sacrificial lambs on the idol of democracy.

What you accuse Ms. Wasserman-Schulz of lying about is the operation of a supporting PAC to which she is not supposed to be coordinated.  I refer to the Colbert analysis of the thin nature of this shield, but within that artifice, I suggest that she is technically correct.  Or, if one wants to play "factcheck," one can treat all such artificial separations for what they are and ding her, along with every other candidate with an outside PAC.

You may not resonate to the dog whistles, but if you are hanging out with racists and misogynists, be assured that they do.  It may must be the uppity part of the woman this time, but pardon me if I find mouthy women attractive in every way.  I have not always agreed with Ms. Debbie, but I like the way she does her thing.  Given that she has to hang out with Congresscritters.