5 best bands of all time

35 posts / 0 new

Beatles, Beach Boys,Stones, Who, Zeppelin. If I go to 10, Tommy Dorsey might be there, too.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

Allman Brother

Pink Floyd

Moody Blues

The Doors

Blood Sweat and Tears

delete jan in iowa

Nobody goes away happy with a Sophie's Choice like this. This is like the super duper budget committee inflicting mandatory austerity measures upon music fans.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Bee Gees, AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Rasberries, Rare Earth to mention a few. :)

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

If you want to go by an independent standard, there is one band that has more #1 hits than the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, and Elvis COMBINED.

Who?

The Funk Brothers - the studio band for Motown Records.

Check out their documentary - Standing in the Shadows of Motown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_4ePRR8QJM

ah2

All of us are so lucky to have been on earth with so many great bands!

Tens Years After

Avin Lee, The Blues Blue

What about having to name your favorite song, too.

delete jan in iowa

"Band" is a loaded word. Individual artists are not bands, but many great artists have been in many bands or have had great backing bands that are not so involved in the songwriting process. What about longevity, volume of chart topping material, sheer talent or ability to play together live vs studio wizardry? How can you possibly whittle it down to a number as small as 5?

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood
Quote ah2:

If you want to go by an independent standard, there is one band that has more #1 hits than the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, and Elvis COMBINED.

Who?

The Funk Brothers - the studio band for Motown Records.

Check out their documentary - Standing in the Shadows of Motown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_4ePRR8QJM

How about the house bands of Muscle Shoals or Memphis?

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Not as many #1s, no where near I believe

ah2

Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Eagles, Who, Byrds

COmtnLady's picture
COmtnLady

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!! God bless you COmtnLady. The Dead are the greatest band of all time by any measure that is meaningful to me. Of course, as ah2 points out, chart toppers are not so meaningful to me:

http://toponehitwonders.com/rock/touch-of-grey-grateful-dead/

I suppose I'd have to give 2 of the other 4 spots to the Stones and Beatles, just because. Most everything else mentioned previously are damn fine options to make the case for. How about great bands that only made one album like Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominoes. What about great bands that were never that "popular" like Traffic? What about Neil Young's various incarnations? How about Dylan's original band, The Band. How can we possibly slight Dylan himself? What about bands from the previous 3 decades (as if great music ceased to exist after these dinosaurs we are fixated on)?

There's the top 3 for me, but I can't pick 4 and 5 any easier than picking 4 through 10 on a top 10 list. Where would Tommy Dorsey fit in that list anyhow.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

1. The grateful dead - 3500 concerts in 30 years - And as david Crosby said Jerry was the conscience of the 60's - Jerry thought that humans were the consciousness of the earth - Wake up to find out that YOU are Eyes the world

2. Willie Nelson

3. Elvis

4. Johnny cash

5. Bill Monroe

Scappoose's picture
Scappoose

Who, Stones, Zeppelin, Radiohead or Pixies, toss up between Moody Blues, Yes or Jethro Tull

DynoDon

One of my favorite songs is Hard Monkeys off of A Space In Time.

DynoDon

Here's some songs for you.

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun- P.F. (Check out the Live At Pompeii DVD).

Watching and Waiting- Moodies

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed is a great song.

DynoDon

Johhny Cash, like Dylan can be left off the "band" list only on a technicality. However:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tennessee_Three

How could I possibly leave off of my "popularly-challenged" list some of the most influential bands like the Velvet Underground, Little Feat, the Stooges and the Meters.

The number of great bands post-classic-rock era is vast. Thanks Dyno for Pixies and Radiohead. Shame on me for not previously mentioning the Replacements, Los Lobos, Talking Heads, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Clash, Nirvana, Widespread Panic and Springsteen for God sake.

I don't think a top 20 is even viable.

Hey, where's Fletch? He claims to be in tune with the world of music.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

The first time I heard Elizabeth Reed I was on Okinawa, on base at Camp Sukiran one warm windy summer evening (we had come on base to do something, we lived on the economy) and off in the distance coming from an old quonset hut, we could hear a band practicing and playing parts of the song over and over. It took a while to realize the song they were playing was Elizabeth Reed. The tune has haunted me for many years.... one of my favorites!

Thanks for reminding me of such a nice experience.

delete jan in iowa

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to pick one more band for the 4th or 5th spot, I'd have to go with the Allmans. Of course, they have so much in common with the Dead, it's no surprise.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Jefferson Starship has to be somewhere near the top. Fleetwood Mac too.

Here's Gracie Slick, Paul Kantner, Pappa John Creach and Jerry Garcia in 1971.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWiKuX3oeZ8

bamboo's picture
bamboo

Okay....... here's a questions for all........... don't freak out, but.....

What is your best albumn to listen to while fooling around?

delete jan in iowa

A few honorable mentions.

Credence Clearwater Revival
Doors
ELO
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Queen
Steely Dan
Steve Miller Band
ZZ Top

A couple of really large bands that come to mind are.........

Chicago (a really horny band)

Doobie Brothers (My favorite namesake)

anti-Republicon

Jan said:

Okay....... here's a questions for all........... don't freak out, but.....

What is your best albumn to listen to while fooling around?

Never gave it much thought. Wouldn't a double album be a wise choice? How about the Dead's Europe '72 ..... it's a triple album. I suppose if you still used a turntable, all that flipping of records might spoil the mood.

How about Marvin Gaye, Al Green or Barry White? Hey, I'm seeing a pattern here ..... is that why I'm so sweet on Obama?

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

LOL.... that's great.

I was thinking Jethro Tull - Aqualung, but that's just me.

delete jan in iowa

There is a distinct intensity to Aqualung.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Hmmmmm, gotta go with Stones , Clash, Nirvanna , Red hot chillipeppers , and and this is a tough one, Grateful Dead, but still mad props for the Beatles

weird lib's picture
weird lib

ha ha anything by marvin gaye, especially sexual healing

weird lib's picture
weird lib
Quote Laborisgood:

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!! God bless you COmtnLady. The Dead are the greatest band of all time by any measure that is meaningful to me. Of course, as ah2 points out, chart toppers are not so meaningful to me:

I suppose I'd have to give 2 of the other 4 spots to the Stones and Beatles, just because. Most everything else mentioned previously are damn fine options to make the case for. How about great bands that only made one album like Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominoes. What about great bands that were never that "popular" like Traffic? What about Neil Young's various incarnations? How about Dylan's original band, The Band. How can we possibly slight Dylan himself? What about bands from the previous 3 decades (as if great music ceased to exist after these dinosaurs we are fixated on)?

There's the top 3 for me, but I can't pick 4 and 5 any easier than picking 4 through 10 on a top 10 list. Where would Tommy Dorsey fit in that list anyhow.

If chart topping isn't important than what criteria do you judge by. IMO, Rolling Stones have some catchy hooks which is why the sell records but as a band they sound mediocre and Mick Jaggar has one of the worst voices in the business and always has.

I might acquiesce to the suggestion of the Beatles simply for what they were doing in the late 60s but, honestly, only a couple of their albums were really groundbreaking musically. The rest was all just chart smashers that made the girls scream. The albums people consider iconic are considered so because of how prevelent they were in sales and on the radio - everyone remembers them - but the vast majority of their songs were very in-the-box.

Now, Funk Brothers isn't all that different because Motown kind of had a standard sound that was rehashed over and over, but I suppose that is my point. By what criteria do you give a nod to the Rolling Stones and not something like Motown Records?

Anyway, if I were to give my list of favorite bands in no particular order - with no claims at being the best of all time - I would have to go with:

1. Def Leppard (when Steve Clark was still alive)

2. The Who

3. Pearl Jam (part of this is because I like their politics but their music beyond the grunge rage of the 90s is also good)

4. Kansas

5. Guns N Roses

6. Journey

7. Aerosmith

8. Queen

There are a bunch more Styx, Metallica (early stuff), Alice in Chains, etc.

You can probably tell I grew up in the 80s and 90s. I also have a preference for things like rock opera type music The Who, Queen, etc.all into this. There are more recent groups like My Chemical Romance trying to revive this genre a little which is nice but I would hardly put them on a list like this because they simply haven't earned it yet.

ah2
Quote jan in iowa:

LOL.... that's great.

Didn't see that coming. The only way that works is with a dooby in your hand. lol.

I don't really have a standard CD for this but one that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned is Heart of Chicago 1

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Chicago-1-1967-1997/dp/B000002NEP/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1350226930&sr=8-10&keywords=chicago+greatest+hits

If you can get to the end of track 7, The Only One, without gyrating over and over then you have no libido. Here it is.

Warning: make sure you have room in front of you before you play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBRna4UVTdY

Be sure to make your big move at 4:40... lol...

ah2
Quote ah2:
Quote jan in iowa:

LOL.... that's great.

Didn't see that coming. The only way that works is with a dooby in your hand. lol.

Well, you're talkin about my generation (gee another song title!) with that comment.

Great times to be living in.

Incredible concerts and events you can't quite remember clearly..... LOL

delete jan in iowa
Quote ah2:
Quote Laborisgood:

If chart topping isn't important than what criteria do you judge by. IMO, Rolling Stones have some catchy hooks which is why the sell records but as a band they sound mediocre and Mick Jaggar has one of the worst voices in the business and always has.

I might acquiesce to the suggestion of the Beatles simply for what they were doing in the late 60s but, honestly, only a couple of their albums were really groundbreaking musically. The rest was all just chart smashers that made the girls scream. The albums people consider iconic are considered so because of how prevelent they were in sales and on the radio - everyone remembers them - but the vast majority of their songs were very in-the-box.

Now, Funk Brothers isn't all that different because Motown kind of had a standard sound that was rehashed over and over, but I suppose that is my point. By what criteria do you give a nod to the Rolling Stones and not something like Motown Records?

Anyway, if I were to give my list of favorite bands in no particular order - with no claims at being the best of all time - I would have to go with:

1. Def Leppard (when Steve Clark was still alive)

2. The Who

3. Pearl Jam (part of this is because I like their politics but their music beyond the grunge rage of the 90s is also good)

4. Kansas

5. Guns N Roses

6. Journey

7. Aerosmith

8. Queen

There are a bunch more Styx, Metallica (early stuff), Alice in Chains, etc.

You can probably tell I grew up in the 80s and 90s. I also have a preference for things like rock opera type music The Who, Queen, etc.all into this. There are more recent groups like My Chemical Romance trying to revive this genre a little which is nice but I would hardly put them on a list like this because they simply haven't earned it yet.

The Grateful Dead top my list for their unique methodology of music. Live improvisation is preferred, yet they are very capable in the recording studio. The act of playing live is an organic experience that aids the creation process. Their hippie roots are steeped in freedom, exploration and the communal spirit to create a sum that is greater than it’s individual parts. Not only are the band members working together communally, but the audience plays a role as well. There is something intangible about the contagiousness of thousands of people that are so involved and swept up in the process that they elevate the entire audience and band to a higher ground. Dare I say, it’s a religious experience.

The Clash call themselves “the only band that matters” and the Stones call themselves “the world’s greatest rock and roll band”, but the Dead are altogether different. As the late, great rock promoter Bill Graham said, "They're not the best at what they do, they're the only ones that do what they do.” I could make the case for 20 different bands to be in various combinations of a top 5 list, but the Dead are always at the top of my list in spite of their inability to create popular radio hits. Perhaps more important to this "Musical Sophie's Choice" is that many other people could compile their lists with various bands and never have the Dead anywhere near the top 5 or even make their top 50 list for that matter. I think that's what I love the most about music is it's lack of objectivity, yet I always treat it otherwise.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

First indoor concerts I saw in about a week were Black Sabbath and then Jethro Tull. In the summer I won the ping pong ball lottery keeping my ass out of Nam without freezing it off with the Canooks. Then over the years at outdoor festivals was J Giles, Humble Pie, Mountain, CSN&Y several times, Missed Dylan and at $700 a tic I'll settle for his numerous CD's, Saw Joanne Baez in a SC bar, John Prine, Never saw David Bowie live, Steppenwolf regrouped with John Kay I saw in a Florida bar, Jerry and the Dead everywhere, Country Joe and the Fish had their moment, Leon Russell, Missed Donovan, Alvin Lee and TYLater in Johnstown before the second flood, Fastest guitarist since Hendrix who wins hands down imo, maybe tied with Clapton overall. Missed Bob Seger and the early acid bands like Cream and Iron Butterfly. Jackson Browne came to an antinuke rally in SC, Bonnie Raite, Revamped Moma's and Papas was a strange show in Florida with the audience in tux and gowns, except me. I was the only one sparking doobies too. Strange backstage party, Johnney and Edgar Winter doing tobacco road, Hendrix, Marley, Jefferson Airplane broke up but I have seen Papa John and Hot Tuna play for a Harvey Milk for Mayor rally. The Starship pretty much suck, Mobey Grape and Commander Cody and his lost planet airmen. Quicksilver Messenger Service, Springstein and the E St Band small venues, before stardom took place, Buffy St Marie, Yes, Traffic, Jimmy Buffet, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Leonard Cohen, the Band, the Doors, Arlo Guthrie, Buffalo Springfield, Janis w Big Brother and the Holding Co... Ozark Mt Daredevils in the Ozarks after seeing the dueling banjo movie. Peter Rowan and The Free Mexican Air Force was our Radio Stations theme song,

Best theatrical performance Pink Floyd, twice.

Best R&R, Stones

Best harp player, J Giles

Best shows, The Dead of coarse. Although I hear Emmylou Harris has followers too.

Skynyrd next to last concert before the crash stands out as a greater loss than just the music. With the culture of the south as it was and is, I think it changed attitudes. More than anything by bashing Neil Young. Hippies in Georgia? Allman Brothers paved their way and The Band kicked in throughout the south. Little Richard had to be the bravest or craziest of them all coming out of Georgia. Jerry Lee Lewis was more for drinking and Elvi has always been a Vegas lounge act.

Hitchin a ride around Pittsburgh I got an offer to see the Allman Brothers around 70/71 along with some great Lebanese hash and passed thinking he said the Osmond Bros. Ouch, just kicked myself again for that one.

Best performance, Springstein before he became known and famous...

Most of the concerts were in the 70's, I tried doing Woodstock but I was only 16 and got busted by my parents trying to ride my 80 cc motor bike from Pittsburgh to NY. Did see the Beach Boys at the DC May Day demonstrations in 71. The three J's died as I was getting into this new music. Jimmy, Janis and Jim Morrison. Saw the Stones several times but not the Beatles. In the day it was more of a lifestyle than just listening to music. The music matched the drug of choice at the time. Beatles and acid rock with acid and the Stones with bikers and downers. Pot went with anything. Speed kills and booze fits all rowdy tunes from country to ZZ Top college tours and Doors Morrison Hotel. Still have a nice collection that started out 45's, vinyl LP's, to 8 track to cassettes to CD's... No I pod yet. long strange trip it has been... 30,000 miles "truckin'" around this country looking for tunes... Now they come here.

DdC's picture
DdC
Quote jan in iowa:

All of us are so lucky to have been on earth with so many great bands!

Tens Years After

Avin Lee, The Blues Blue

What about having to name your favorite song, too.

That's almost impossible. I can't count the times Jane and I had been driving along, a great oldie comes on the radio and I crank it up and I say, "OMG, that's my favorite song!" Some lines in songs really stick with me. Like "Time is a stripper, doing it just for you" from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wva7a_HZUU4

The 60/70's were, with no doubt, America's most creative moment. We can get there again, we can't give up!

bamboo's picture
bamboo

Tommy Dosey radio broadcast from 70 years ago

and @13:03 the Snootie little cutie, the squirrely little girlie, that flirt in a skirt, with a coy little boy, with a vocal segment from a singer or two. Selling war bonds and the most golden tobacco leaves proving the most expensive blend..

That link was Opus One the Snootie Little Cutie is http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIIbZp1QH1QA.GL7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBvZ3AycDJsBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDVjEzMA--?p=youtube+tommy+dorsey&vid=EDC4FF0616CD9FC8836AEDC4FF0616CD9FC8836A&l=&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4594919991410696%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlufCv6PJ_JU&tit=Tommy+Dorsey+With+Frank+Sinatra+1942&c=9&sigr=11afqrc30&b=31

At 22:00 the 5 Tones Quintet from a training base do a nice number.

[PP = The Pied Pipers
FS = Frank Sinatra
CH = Connie Haines]

[PP:] She's a snooty little cutie, she's a pert little skirt,
She's a knockout and a beauty, and a flirt.
Such a dapper little flapper, she's just as cute as a train,
She's a kissy little missy, a vain little jane,
She's slick (doo doo doo roo doo),
She's a classy little lassie, a keen little queen,
And although sometimes she's sassy, and mean,
Just a fiend for romance is she, squirly little girly she,
She's a knockout, a beauty, snooty little cutie, snooty little cutie, she.
[CH:] You're a mellow little fellow, you're a coy little boy,
[FS:] You're a knockout and a beauty, you're a joy,
[CH:] You're a ready little steady, you've swept this girl off her feet,
[FS:] You're a kissy little missy, you're a vain little dame, but you're sweet.
[CH:] You're a handy little dandy, [FS:] you're a keen little queen,
[CH:] And although sometimes I'm bossy, [FS:] you're never mean.
I'm a fiend for romance with you, [CH:] mellow little fellow you're mine,
[FS:] Youre a knockout and a beauty, [CH:] and a snooty little cutie, [both:] snooty little cutie mine.
[PP:] Yes she's a classy little lassie, a keen little queen,
And though sometimes she's sassy, she's never mean,
[CH:] I'm a fool for romance it's true, moonlight and kisses and you,
[PP:] She's a beauty, that snooty little cutie, snooty little cutie she.

After the 5 Tones is a good drum number, maybe Buddy Rich?

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Just for pure musicanship, I would go with Steely Dan and Rush.

Coalage1

Funny that you would mention Steely Dan...... listened to a few cuts of their's last night..... what a great sound!

delete jan in iowa

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.