I ran for elected office. I lost the race, but won the battle

3 posts / 0 new

Thom,

Back in November last year I called into your radio show and gave an update on the Occupy Rockford movement. I also mentioned that I became a precinct committeeman, doing what you've been advocating for years.

In March (right after the Illinois primaries) I called in again and gave another quick update on Occupy Rockford and that I was then running for Winnebago county board. Again, due to your influence. I also mentioned how my county has 150 precincts and that about half the spots are (still) open. My small amount of influence has gotten eight people to follow me in. There is still a ways to go, but slowly, we are making an impact.

I wanted to call in today, but realized that you only have Friday's as an open day for any topic. I am a school bus driver and thus had today off, but that's beside the point. I hope to call in on Friday.

So I ran for county board, the first time I ever ran for any public office. I ran as a Democrat, with zero name recognition in a very Republican district against a man with more than 20+ years of local political name recognition and in the end got nearly 43% of the total vote. I did this doing what is expected of anyone seeking office. Door knocking, phone banking, advertizing, guest columns, you name it, I did it. As I said I did lose the election, but I feel that I still won while losing.

I have now decided to run for the Loves Park, IL city council. Also, I recently had a meeting with a college professor and he gave a compelling argument for me to also run for the communinty college in Rockford, IL. No conflict of interest exists being on both.

The point of all this is to let you know Thom that if not for your influence, your intellect, your decency I would never be where I am today.

For anyone interested, you can check out my website (which will be going over a makeover soon) --> www.electdavidsoll.com

captfoster

Comments

captfoster, I'm sure if you called in to the show and mentioned to the call screener that you were following up on an earlier call to Thom, they could include that ias the call subject that is included in his list of names and locations of callers on hold, and if he had time, Thom would talk to you. If you watch on Free Speech TV, Thom would fit you in during the time that commercial stations are playing ads. That time slot is reserved for calls from Free Speech TV viewers.

They often get calls that are not on the topic brought up by a guest, or whatever the "topic of the hour" is.

Good job, even if you didn't win your race this time ... "get out, and get active" is how he puts it, not "get out and win".

miksilvr

Congrats on running.

I also ran for City council. I am embroiled in a very tight race.. They are still counting, down by 28 votes or down by 1.10%. I doubt I win but it's been an interesting experience. Luckly, the seat was a short term, 2 years. So I'll get on some committees and start campaigning.

Hat tip to anybody will to throw thier hat in the circus ring.

Capital1's picture
Capital1

Currently Chatting

A Rising Tide Only Lifts All Boats When Everyone Has a Boat.

President John F. Kennedy once said about economic development that “a rising tide lifts all boats.” Kennedy was, of course, right, but he missed something really, really important: A rising tide lifts only lifts all boats when everyone has a boat.