I would like some advice about how to live with "Obamacare"...

18 posts / 0 new

This is micahjr34. I haven't written here for a while, but with the re-election of Obama, I am torn.

I am a disabled schizophrenic who is currently receiving most of my living money and insurance from the government. I concede that this is already being paid for by the taxpayers. I say "thank you" to everyonewho pays taxes, because you support me!

With "Obamacare" taxes will go up, and people who currently have insurance through their work might lose that in the future. Iam torn because I would like for there to be a "single payer health care," but I am disturbed as to how to achieve it with out hurting those who do not wish to support me through their taxes. There are people who hate subsidizing my health care costs, and I do not want to hurt them. However, how can I support my living and medical expenses with out doing so? I support health care for everyone, but I am torn by the fact that there are people who do not want to pay for me. I know that this is straddling the fence, and that I need to soon make a decision:

Do I support Obamacare as it develops now or do I aim for a reformed version of the current system? I do not know!...

When responding to this please keep in mind that I am trying to get rehabilitation, and please be polite because I do not want to be an enemy with anyone...

micahjr34

micahjr34

Comments

You might consider that many nations around the globe consider health care a human right. It's in their Constitiutions. It's in international treaties.. They tax themselves to assure it just as they tax themselves for courtrooms to pay for trials by jury, or education for their country's children.

Health care is a human right.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2
With "Obamacare" taxes will go up, and people who currently have insurance through their work might lose that in the future.
Not to worry. I took a look at the list of those 12 new taxes that come with Obamacare and I didn't see one that I have any problem with. They're all targeted to people and corporations that can well afford them. People are not going to go uninsured because their employers don't want to provide it. Obamacare is incrementally moving employers out of the insurance business where they don't belong.

It's a long-term process that will evolve into something even better. Perhaps even single-payer.

Art's picture
Art

First, under Obamacare, Medicaid will be expanded so your situation will be unchanged. You will actually have your basic human needs provided for by the state. That some conservatives get angry about this is their problem. Every person has a right to life, at a basic level in this country.

Second, on the taxes of Obamacare, most are levied on medical device makers, and people with "Cadillac" health plans which are overly generous, and are for the very rich or people who work for large healthcare organizations.

By Oct 2013, the last bits of Obamacare go into play. The world will not end. If Massachussettes' Romneycare example is accurate to the national one, we'll see the uninsured drop to 3% from 20%.

In some cases the cost control measures are already going into play. We see Out- of- Network surgical groups coming under fire for charging 10 times the cost for basic procedures, they are getting taken to court.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Not one mention of the hundreds of thousands of poor and disenfranchised that have had their work week cut to 29 hours/week so the employeer can avoid program altogether.

"ObamaCare’s $1 trillion in total tax increase hit everything from health insurers, drug companies, and tanning salons to Health Saving Accounts and – eventually – high-cost employer-based health insurance."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gracemarieturner/2013/01/02/as-2013-begins-g...

We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it” Nancy Pelosi 3/2010

Redwing's picture
Redwing
Quote Redwing:Not one mention of the hundreds of thousands of poor and disenfranchised that have had their work week cut to 29 hours/week so the employeer can avoid program altogether.

Don't act like you care about anyone under the poverty line while the GOP keeps enabling record corporate profits at the expense of the People. Supply-side Reaganomics does not work but Republican voters don't know that because they aren't smart enough to understand anything except FOX News, and FOX News is designed to make voters too stupid to understand anything except FOX News. People who don't have televisions know more about what is going on than FOX viewers.

Wal-Mart is one of the largest employers holding workers' hours back to avoid paying health benefits. Point out a Republican that won't strive to protect Wal-Mart as a precious "job creator".

When Republicans denounce unions, the poor, veterans, women and all minorities, you have no right to speak about fairness or equality. When Republicans vote for a delusional elitist Mormon who insults half of the American population as lazy and pathetic, you have no right to speak about the struggles of the downtrodden. When Republicans lie to the world to start unwinnable wars that lead to massive defecits and hundreds of veterans being left homeless after returning with missing limbs and untreated PTSD, you have no right to speak of fiscal responsibility or social justice.

Republicans are on the wrong side of every issue. Your only redemption lies in ensuring that Bush and his bosses die impoverished in prison.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

Probably the best way to live with Obamacare is to not get sick. Sadly, that isn't always an option of choice.

Some will still get to die under it. They either aren't covered or can't afford the co-pays. That isn't an option of choice either.

polycarp2

You picked all around my comments but you failed to mention it is the truth. Hours have been cut in every industry in America. You can choose whatever party you believe in but facts are facts. In the Governments haste to pass a bill they did forget to read it.

Watch out for drones, the internet, and your medical records. You helped elect the guy that is actually taking you down.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

So, Redbeak, what is your point? We all agree that evil corporations will screw their employees with every regulation, but the answer is to make it a blanket benefit not dependent upon hours worked. Then the 'owner' has no way to keep anyone just under the line. The stupid regulation you mention is the direct result of GOPimpery, so blame those responsible.

We are also about Obamacare as a first step, not a crowning achievement. Nonetheless, as P has pointed out, micah will be covered by Medicaid expanded as civilization itself ought to demand.

Finally, to micahjr. and anyone else receiving government assistance for living with a disability, please accept your support from us as a right. Be grateful about having that right respected, but do not give a shit about anyone who begrudges contributing to your support. Do not listen to them, and do not give them any of your emotional energy. Just be the peaceful and loving person you are and return the grace in gratitude. You may not be an income earner, but you sure sound like a contributor to community as a fine human being with solid values.

drc2

Red, as a staunch believer in the market you should recognize that companies that cut worker hours will simply lose employees to companies that don't, right?

ah2
Quote Redwing:

Not one mention of the hundreds of thousands of poor and disenfranchised that have had their work week cut to 29 hours/week so the employeer can avoid program altogether.

"ObamaCare’s $1 trillion in total tax increase hit everything from health insurers, drug companies, and tanning salons to Health Saving Accounts and – eventually – high-cost employer-based health insurance."

And as companies cut hours for more workers those workers will do what? They will qualify for Medicaid, and be further driven to realize they can likely start their own business and do better for themselves.

On the taxes, sorry I left out the Big Pharma. Tanning salons are not taxed, makers of tanning beds are.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

God bless the last two posts. You both willingly point out the value of allowing the free market to sort things out. You two will become righties yet.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

What is a free market? The unchecked capitalism that we've seen from Wall Street these past thirty years isn't a "free" market except in Newspeak. It's free for them, not for you. This system is controlled by a handful of special interests that transcend Democrat or Republican. We are not free.

As long as the power structure remains the same, this is not a free market.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

When you sell your pot, do you give it away, just pick a price out of thin air with no rhyme or reason, are you dictated a selling price by government, or do you sell it for what the current "street market price" is? Your answer will help me understand if you actually know what the term free market really means.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

I think most people here understand what free market means. It does not mean energy subsidies, big agi subsidies, price setting for the benefit of Big Pharma or high priced lobbiests seeking favorable legislation to manipulate the "free market." When big banks conspire to set global interest rates, that is not free market either. Your ideal of the free market, is long dead, as capitalists found it too inefficient and unpredictable, preferring fascism which is very predictable and quite efficient; as it is horrific.

xs10shal's picture
xs10shal

I think that what is meant by "the value of allowing the free market to sort things out" here is exemplified by what is happening to some of the companies who are well-known for cutting hours. Papa John's, Appleby's and Denny's have taken big hits on their profitability with the bad publicity. I don't think anybody ever denied that companies are immune from these "free" market forces.

Government involvement is not separate from the business environment. It is a part of it. It does make it harder and more complicated for the business owner, but that's part of why they earn the big bucks. Its' not supposed to be a guaranteed walk in the park.

Art's picture
Art

Well, the so-called "free market" does sort things out over time. However, as Nobel Laureate Joseph Stiglitz points out, not within the time-frame that matters...people's lives.

The market economic system hasn't been a "free market" from the day it was implimented with the overthrows of reciprocal and re-distributive economic systems that it replaced. It's always been regulated to prevent collapses and revolutions. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Myths abound.

polycarp2

A wrinkle in the Obama administration's healthcare reform act could leave countless Americans unable to pay for healthcare protection next year. The press is calling the problem a "glitch" in Obamacare. Source for this article: Obamacare

caitlinspark's picture
caitlinspark

Currently Chatting

We Need to Listen to the Founders and Stop the Forever War.

Just a little over a year ago during his speech at the National Defense University here in Washington, D.C., President Obama talked about winding down Bush’s War on Terror. But as American bombers continue to strike against ISIS in Iraq and now Syria, it now looks like the War on Terror will be with us for years to come. And that’s a really dangerous thing for our democracy.