Portland, Oregon: KPOJ 620 AM dumped progressive talk radio

26 posts / 0 new

I am extremely upset that Clear Channel who owns KPOJ 620 AM in Portland, Oregon, without notice, last Friday at 5:30 pm changed from progressive talk radio to all sports. We are devastated. I listened 24/7 and feel like I lost my best friend. Please, Thom, if you read the message boards, let us know what we can do. How do we get someone to start a new radio station in Portland? HELP!!!

Carol103

Comments

Carol -- yup! I too am very sad and angry about this.

I sure think some local radio station with a poor rating should pick up KPOJ and the local and national advertisers.

Yours,

Caleb

Caleb's picture
Caleb

Perhaps Thom and Ed Schultz could provide leadership in buying a Portland radio station which would be liberal talk. Some of the Hollywood movie people might like to help. I'd be willing to be part of a large group investing in this.

Rich

richsessions's picture
richsessions

Most of that 'talk' on 620 running up the election was pure democratic party pandering - ignoring the truth about the democrats all the while being apoplectic over the repubs makes for boring radio actually.

I used to listen also non stop during the bush years when the station was relevant - but after the dems hit power it became more and more unlistenable unless you were a pure democratic party hack who didnt care about the truth - only in your team Winning the elction.

This is also a Direct result of the consolidation and monopolization of the airwaves - which I Blame on Clinton and the democrats. Clinton sold the airwaves off if people dont remember - now we're facing the reality of those votes and policies.

I do want to give props to norm goldman - as he did have on Green Party memebers from time to time and actually critiqued the democrats - not much in the final months of th election - but it was at least attempted - and goldman did admit to getting lectured etc by the dems for having the Greens on etc

The dems - if they were even 1/2 way liberal would push for Instant Runoff Voting and try to Expand the electorate - but instead they are in cahoots with the rethugs - thus decreasing turnout.

11% decrease in voter turnout between the 2008 and the 2012 elections.

The More Effective Evil prevailed - this station going down is simply another example of the anti-democratic nature of our Commercial, economic, electoral and governmental appratus and the oligarchs behind the scenes pulling the strings.

Scappoose's picture
Scappoose

Hey Scapoose, you still have KBOO and can get an hour of Hartmann and Democracy Now on Ch. 29, the Eastside Metro local station. There is also the web.

Because KPOJ was not the only way to get a non-Right voice on the air, and because infotainment was a good option to some other programs, I was not overly concerned about the less than radical agenda of the commercial programs. It was nice to have something less wonky, something entertaining and still have fact-based opinion rather than paid lying on the dial.

We also made the point, over and over, that NOT having the ownership of the stations was a weakness. Learning to have ownership of their programs was about what the Air America vets gained. The idea that there would be a media outlet, nay network, to present a consistently Progressive voice and corrective was always betrayed by the lack of a solid business plan for more than the individual voices like Hartmann and Schulz.

Agreeing that Clinton's stupidity about the media is up there with GATT and NAFTA, I still hold the Privateers and Corporatists responsible for the theft of our public airwaves. The original deal was that they got to make money but they had to deliver programs that serve the public interest, even including the voices of the voiceless. The latter was established in the original mission of PBS and NPR. Sold out long ago to 'listeners like you.'

Their argument for the market deciding as the measure of their servicing of the public fails with KPOJ, a real commercial success. Too successful by far, as is the soon to be All Sports Seattle station. These conservative shitheads really hate losing and get nasty about it. WAAAAAHHHH!

If people with money want to have a commercial liberal/progressive voice out there, invest in the stations and make a small profit too. Others will go back to KBOO where such rare resources exist or go online where there are lots of ways to get material you can even put on your tv screen. I do not seriously believe anyone at KPOJ gives a shit about how many of us will not listen to them anymore.

drc2

What a travesty to Portland area listeners! A very sad day indeed.

sonnybaby's picture
sonnybaby

other message board posts that were written about this format change:

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/11/kpoj-wtf

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/11/baine-owns-clear-channel-another-progressive-radio-6ft-under

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/11/kpoj-format-change-now-fox-sports

and from Thom, the webmaster, and the rest of the team:

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/11/kpoj-portland-official-comment

miksilvr
Quote Scappoose:

Most of that 'talk' on 620 running up the election was pure democratic party pandering - ignoring the truth about the democrats all the while being apoplectic over the repubs makes for boring radio actually.

I used to listen also non stop during the bush years when the station was relevant - but after the dems hit power it became more and more unlistenable unless you were a pure democratic party hack who didnt care about the truth - only in your team Winning the elction.

That has been my experience on the Central Coast of California was well.... Small consolation that the Dems lie less often or more skillfully than the Repubs....

norske's picture
norske

Here in Phoenix our progressive radio has switched stations at least 3 times in 6 years. Dr. Mike Newcomb finally went out and bought 1480 KPHX, and found some radio people to run the business side, sales and marketing. He will never get rich doing it, but we have the airwaves.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Portland's Clear Channel-owned KPOJ Progressive Talk Station Flipped to Fox Sports

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=9721

miksilvr

I myself listen to kboo and if in need of a news fix i go to kpfa -

No commercials on either of those stations as an added benefit -

I might add with the availability of streaming on a cell phone theres simply no reason to listen to commercials anymore.... Thom streams live every day.... There's no reason to miss the show.

Scappoose's picture
Scappoose

Guess who owns clear channel? Looks like Bain capitol. Hmmm

Bill of rights's picture
Bill of rights

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/12/1160657/-WHAT-HAPPENED-TO-MY-KPOJ-A-Primer

miksilvr

Wake up progressive listeners in Seattle, it looks like you may be next ...

Is CBS Radio’s KPTK, Seattle the Next Progressive Talker to Flip? (lib meltdown)

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2958991/posts

Progressive Talk Silenced in Portland and rumored in Seattle

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/10/1159883/-Progressive-Talk-Silenced-in-Portland-and-Seattle

miksilvr

I can't believe 620AM is a sport station now. I'll be they lose a lot of advertizers and for sure a lot of us who were faithful listeners. Where do we find you now?

Helen Jeanne's picture
Helen Jeanne
Quote Helen Jeanne:

I can't believe 620AM is a sport station now. I'll be they lose a lot of advertizers and for sure a lot of us who were faithful listeners. Where do we find you now?

I included a few links for other message board posts on this subject in reply #7 above; check the webmaster's message first, then the others for alternate ways of catching the show. Problem is, i guess none of them are over the air radio, and may require purchasing some equipment, or being on a computer or smart phone.

It stinks when these damn conservative corporations do this ... how often do you hear of one of those conservative radio stations changing format to something else ? I can't remember a single one; seems to always happen to the blue stations, never to the red.

miksilvr

I'm so disappointed that the Portland Radio programmers have shown such poor judgment in eliminating The Ed Schultz Radio Show. Now there are even more sports stations and Fox News Remains. I won't be listening to any of those. Do they not want to recognize that when Obama was re-elected the people were telling you what they would listen to? Do you really want your ratings to dwindle or is this a dictatorship as in a third world country? Nice going. Youve done yourself proud.

Lillietta's picture
Lillietta
Quote miksilvr:

I included a few links for other message board posts on this subject in reply #7 above; check the webmaster's message first, then the others for alternate ways of catching the show. Problem is, i guess none of them are over the air radio, and may require purchasing some equipment, or being on a computer or smart phone.

In the Bay Area Green960 was a low powered station so not very listenable in a lot of areas or especially with a little pocket radio. What has also been going on in the radio industry is "digital radio" or "HD radio" as they label it. It hasn't taken off because the receivers are so expensive. The drive was probably to make the whole AM band HD. Originally Thom was going to go to KKSF, another Bain Clear Channel station, on HD. But there was blow back so they put him late at night AM on Green960. If they didn't have a contract with Randi they may have carried him live at 12 noon PST.

Also the Bay Area is clearly a "Blue" area and you have many businesses who will buy ads run by Democrats or progessives. Of course even on Thom's MP3 stream there are ads for Walmart and Home Depot.

Broadband radio probably wouldn't be such a problem if broadband were in the commons. Possible saviors in that area may be Google partnering with Dish Network as reported a couple days ago to do a wireless network. Old models are falling fast. Thing is you have some fat headed CEOs of the wireless companies who loved how people waste money thoughtlessly on cellular talk packages. They also hated the expense of build out for data. Fact is talk could be done on data (and is in some cases) so no need for those talk only channels except backward compatibility.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

The loss of so many "progressive" stations on Clear Channel's 1500 stations were never friendly to the left, but the limited political discussion offered by shows like Randi Roads, Tom Hartmann, Ed Schultz, et al, simply became a singular mouth piece for the Obama administration.

Far too often you could hear the venom of the radio hosts directed against anybody criticizing Obama's policies. Their message was dumbed down in an effort to deliberately frustrate callers from talking about alternatives to Obama. In short, and much like Air America, their audiance evolved into a stubborn clique rejecting broader and more liberal opinion. At the same time they were promoting the need to "push" Obama to do whatever, they literally prevented the mechanism of doing so. They lost their support by virtue of a scheme that didn't fool too many of their listeners - this one included.

It's all moved to MSNBC anyway, but the audience is limited there as well.

Bumble Bee

I listen to XM radio, so I have not experienced the loss of whole progressive stations, but that does not mean it can't happen. If it it does happen, the very moment I hear of it I am dropping XM. Period.

While I think that the people who changed KPOJ's programming did it to make money, I have no doubt that knowing that they are helping to add strength to the Conservative philosophy in this country put a smile on their face. This situation may not be nice, but unfortunately how things should be in this world and how things are in this world are not necessarily the same thing.

micahjr34

As a Dennis the K Progressive, I would ask you wonderfully insightful critics of Obama from the Left to take a good look at yourselves and what you offer politically at this moment. I want to be part of that conversation and self-reflection, but not if I have to repent of any admiration for the KPOJ line-up or for what these programs have done to help save us from the Fatman and the Lamestream. It may feel good to be aware of and free from any taint of duopolistic political strategies, free to dismiss Obama as an equally failed piece of imperial trash, and ready to go at the local soap box. I guarantee it is also lonely when speaking honestly is considered rude and uncalled for by decent folk.

Bumble, I wonder where the MSNBC or Progressive Talkers "prevented the mechanism" for acting to "push Obama" from the Left. They may not have done precisely what you wanted, or pushed where you thought or wished someone would be pushing. The point is that they are there to describe who is pushing, and I think they tried to do that and still give voices to spokespeople for organizations you will not see on Sunday.

Schultz was all in for Wisconsin, and held a lot of free health clinic shows to help those organizers. We could add a decent list as well as good critical analysis on a number of issues even if we would also add some big questions that go unaddressed or poorly so. This is where the Hedges perspective really shines brightly, but also where the political infrastructure is MIA. However reality finds its way into our national discourse, I am for it. It is pretty tricky because we are in an imperial narcotic haze even if we have gotten off the needle.

I think the conditions of the crew on the deathstar matter for more than the crew. Nobody else is going to rebel and take down the empire from inside, and doing it from the outside is too daunting to expect an intervention instead of spectators smiling at the long crash and burn. In every way, this is always an inside/outside collaboration rather than a singular movement. To expect our political parties to be the infrastructue or mechanism of change is part of the illusion. They follow rather than lead, but when there is a movement they can be useful doing the inside work.

So, if you have been left with the Dennis the K feeling of being cast adrift, like I do, do you sever all ties with what was left and justify our rejection with martyr badges of honor or try to figure out what we can do with what we have to work with? Duh. It does matter to separate feelings from thought to sufficient degree not to allow anger to cloud thought instead of sharpen resolve.

The people who got rejected on the radio might have started with "I'm going to vote for Obama, but..." instead of why Obama was just as bad as Rombot. Depressing the Obama vote was a GOPimp tactic and does offer the troll a way to get on the air. It also helps to criticize the structures rather than painting Obama as a terrible criminal and deceiver. How you were fooled is always more about you than who fooled you. My point is that being disappointed in infotainment talk radio is not enough. Appreciating that others like it and that it is not as deceptive or illusional as you fear is harder, but it is a small concern compared to why there is nothing out there to join or vote for, yet.

drc2

The radio programmers made a bad decision eliminating the liberal point of view and also lost a lot of listeners. It was a great contrast to the overtaking conservative side of talk radio. Hey, the people showed you what they wanted. Now we have one additional sports station. I'll be listening to the other one.

Lillietta's picture
Lillietta

This post is in reply to post #4 by Scappoose. I'm not sure how it ended up here.

And was this supposed "democratic party pandering" any different than what you hear on Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck's shows? You have hundreds of right wing talking head radio stations. Why do you have a problem with liberals in Oregon having ONE liberal talk show station? I know why. You are deathly afraid of liberal voices. That's why Clear Channel silenced KPOJ's liberal voice. The election scared the pants off them and they think their solution to the problem is to silence the liberal voices. Unfortunately for them they can't silence the Internet. As long as we have a voice and a free Internet there is hope for democracy in this country. When the Repubicans find a way to control the internet, like they control 95% of the media in this country, this country will be doomed.

bygollymissmolly's picture
bygollymissmolly

They didn't do it to make money. There's no more money in a lame "all sports" station than there was in what KPOJ was before. They did it hoping to silence a liberal voice. Unfortunately they can't control the internet, so we still have a voice out there and it worked really well in the last election.

Boycott everything Clear Channel. Contact them at their corporate headquarters and let the know you wil boycott any advertiser you know advertises on Clear Channel stations.

bygollymissmolly's picture
bygollymissmolly

I guess you didnt read my entire post -

Boycott Clear Channel - Boycott the endless commericals Clear Channel airs - heck Clear Channel probably has 25 minutes of commercials an hour.

If you're looking for Thom's show - stream it or view it on cable tv - on cable theres NO commericals and Thom gives us the 'news' when the Clear Channel stations are busy selling some worthless POS item or service.

If you need more than the 3 hours a day from Thom I myself listen to KPFA and their great news programs. Flashponts, Democracy Now, behind the News, the Visionary Activist show, the kpfa evening news, Guns and Butter just to name a few. Free streaming of ALL past shows.

Www.kpfa.org

Theres plenty of progressive news out there where you're not forced to deal with a right-wing commercial media corporation.

And drop the 'you're either a hardcore democrat or a closet republican.'

I am firmly Against the duopoly and am a Green Party Supporter -

I suggest turnng off CLEAR Channel - and listen to truly progressive rado sans the commericals. And Thom's show is available without Profitng Clear Channel.

Scappoose's picture
Scappoose

here is another petition that asks GOP Congressman Greg Walden of Oregon to hold hearings into media consolidation and related topics.

Save KPOJ: Send a message to Congressman Walden

miksilvr

Currently Chatting

Should public radio program in the public interest?

NPR is supposed to be our national public radio, but they're barely covering climate issues that are in the public's interest.

Only one month ago, a national New York Times/CBS News poll found that half of all Americans think that global warming is already having a serious impact. Sixty percent of those surveyed even said that protecting our environment should be a priority “even at the risk of curbing economic growth.”