The Rolling Jubilee

3 posts / 0 new

Debt is a tie that binds the 99%.

As individuals, families, and communities, most of us are drowning in debt to Wall Street for the basic things things we need to live, like housing, education, and health care. Even those of us who do not have personal debt are affected by predatory lending. Our essential public services are cut because our cities and towns are held hostage by the same big banks that have been bailed out by our government in recent years.

We are not a loan. Strike Debt came from a coalition of Occupy groups looking to build popular resistance to the all forms of debt imposed on us by the banks. Debt keeps us isolated, ashamed, and afraid. We are building a movement to challenge this system while creating alternatives and supporting each other. We want an economy where our debts are to our friends, families, and communities — and not to the 1%.

Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits.

The Rolling Jubilee

We buy debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, we abolish it. We cannot buy specific individuals' debt—instead, we help liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal.

We're beginning this effort with The People's Bailout, a variety show and telethon in NYC on November 15. All proceeds will go directly to buying people's debt and cancelling it.

"This fiftieth year is sacred—it is a time of freedom and of celebration when everyone will receive back their original property, and slaves will return home to their families. "
Jubilee —Leviticus 25:10

mediaroots.org
projectcensored.org
breakingtheset

Another amazing day for #RollingJubilee. We're over $100,000 in donations, which means we'll be able to abolish over $2 *million* dollars of debts.

This has been a truly incredible show of mutual aid, by thousands of participants. Thank you all for showing that another world is not only possible, it is almost here.

☛77.5% of American Households are in DEBT
☛62% of ALL Bankruptcies are caused by a Medical Illness
☛Student Loan DEBT has Exploded
☛Tuition DEBT is $1,000,000,000,000.00
☛1 in 7 Americans is Being Pursued by a DEBT Collector
☛The Ratio of Household DEBT to Income is 154%
40% of Indebted Households used Credit Cards to Pay for Basic Living Expenses

http://i47.tinypic.com/2rnkndv.jpg

DdC's picture
DdC

Comments

Sincerely... awesome!

What concerns me is that we'll STILL have a PRIVATE "Federal Reserve" that will just go on and financially WHACK a million more of us.

You sound like a solid guy.

This sounds like a solid venture.

I promise that I'll look into it.

This ruse that is the private, for profit "Federal Reserve" is the beast that is running wild and loose upon all of humanity. We need to starve this beast.

ZEITGEIST 2: ADDENDUM has gone a long way to educate me on the ills of our monetary system. If you think that you could learn a little more about how rotten to the core our institutions are... this movie will get the gears in your head turning.

Everybody "knows" that "things" are messed up. This movie exposes the "HOW & WHY" they are messed up.

Do yourself a favor and check it out.

I'll check out "The Rolling Jubilee".

ZEITGEIST 2: ADDENDUM (The opening explains how the United States Monetary System works extremely well and it does it in a language that is NOT boring and is easily understood.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKX9TWRyfs

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

Great thread DdC..... thank for posting it.

Please, if you can, keep us updated on the movement?

delete jan in iowa

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.