"Police investigating David Gregory for displaying illegal gun clip on-air"

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
mjolnir
mjolnir's picture

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/274515-police-investiga...

"A petition to arrest Gregory for possession of the high-capacity rifle magazine had nearly 6,000 signatures on Tuesday, needing another 19,000 by Jan. 22 to provoke an official White House response."

Comments

Redwing
Redwing's picture
Is this the same David

Is this the same David Gregory that mocked the NRA on NBC for suggesting that schools have an armed security guard on the premises and forgot to mention that the school that he sends his kids to has an eleven person security staff?  The classic lefty "do as I say, not as I do" garbage.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/gregory-mocks-lapierre-proposing-arm...

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
Redwing wrote:The classic

Redwing wrote:
The classic lefty "do as I say, not as I do" garbage.
Gregory is a "leftist"? ROTF You're so far to the Right you see a right leaning "journalist" as a "leftist". 

darlinedarline1...
darlinedarline1@aol.com's picture
 If the left can use Sandy

If the left can use Sandy Hook to bash the NRA, to make it unpalatable to the American public, they will. That's why the execrable Lawrence O'Donnell of MSNBC spouted that the NRA had "blood on its hands" despite any evidence to support that proposition. That's why Piers Morgan of CNN labeled NRA head Wayne LaPierre "dim-witted" and "dangerous" for suggesting that schools ought to have armed police, but said nothing when Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck said the same thing. David Gregory of NBC was only too happy to bash LaPierre over that proposed policy, but sends his kids to a school with 11 armed security guards. Gregory is a leftist douche-bag. They are all hypocrits.

micahjr34
I would be willing to have an

I would be willing to have an armed guard(s) in the schools if that individual or individuals were highly trained and drilled, had at least 4 years of service in the military or police, and a degree in criminology or the equivalent.  Also, that person or persons must be highly accountable to rules and regulations.  I say this because I would like only someone who is extremely competent to be carrying a gun in the schools and acting as a gaurd with students around.

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
micahjr34 wrote: I would be

micahjr34 wrote:

I would be willing to have an armed guard(s) in the schools if that individual or individuals were highly trained and drilled, had at least 4 years of service in the military or police, and a degree in criminology or the equivalent.  Also, that person or persons must be highly accountable to rules and regulations.  I say this because I would like only someone who is extremely competent to be carrying a gun in the schools and acting as a guard with students around.

As I pointed out in other threads, the problem here with Gun Nut "logic" is they say psycho-killers will seek out gun free zones. So if their intent is to kill as many people as possible and schools have guards, then the killer will move on to school buses, day care centers, nursing homes, ete etc. Or they'll chain doors as happened in Virgina Tech to seal off a portion of a school... or simply take out the guard first. What Gun Nut "logic" leads to is a world where we all cower, armed to the teeth, in our secure facilities... while the Gun Nuts will deny ANY responsibility they played a central role in creating such such a dysfunctional society... completely convinced the real problem is there STILL just aren't enough guards or armed citizens. When all Gun Nuts have is a hammer... all problems look like nails. 

Capital1
Capital1's picture
I have to chuckle that they

I have to chuckle that they have to "investigate" this.  Should only take 5 minutes. 

micahjr34
Pierpont, You make a point in

Pierpont,

You make a point in saying that if mass shooters wanted easy targets, they'll just choose targets with no guards or that has otherwise insufficient security.  What I was trying to say is that if I were to support an armed gaurd in the schools, I would like them to be extremely competent and trained.  I would prefer it if there was no armed gaurd, but if I didn't have a choice, that is what I would like.

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
micahjr34

micahjr34 wrote:

Pierpont,

You make a point in saying that if mass shooters wanted easy targets, they'll just choose targets with no guards or that has otherwise insufficient security.  What I was trying to say is that if I were to support an armed gaurd in the schools, I would like them to be extremely competent and trained.  I would prefer it if there was no armed gaurd, but if I didn't have a choice, that is what I would like.

My only point was to begin considering such proposals is a slippery slope to accepting the dystopian Gun Nut world view. Questioning that view might be a more productive place to start.

SaltoftheEarth
According to Politico, et al,

According to Politico, et al, NBC had asked permission to display the magazine on Meet the Press. Permission was denied by the DC police department. It sounds like he intentionally broke the law. To what purpose?

miksilvr
more on this

more on this story:

Politicians and news anchors have long used guns as props. In 1993, then-Maryland Gov. William Donald Schaefer (D), attempting to show the dangerous nature of firearms he wanted to ban, pointed a unloaded pistol at an Associated Press reporter during a news conference. The gun was provided by the Maryland State Police. Schaefer was not charged with a crime.

Police: NBC asked to use high-capacity clip

So, who replaces David Gregory if this incident gets blown out of proportion, too ?

mjolnir
mjolnir's picture
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/p

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/12/dc-cops-investigating-wheth...

"But ABC News has learned from an official at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives that NBC had reached out to the federal agency on Friday for advice before displaying the weaponry.

According to the ATF official, the agency noted that ATF doesn’t enforce D.C. gun laws, but agreed to put the question to a couple of Washington police officers who’ve worked with the agency in the past.

The D.C. officers advised the ATF spokesman that Gregory could display the magazine, provided it was empty, the source said.

That turned out to be bad advice, as conservative media and gun rights activists were first to note. The ATF official describes this as a “misunderstanding,” and says he hopes DC police will not bring charges."

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
mjolnir

mjolnir wrote:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/274515-police-investiga...

"A petition to arrest Gregory for possession of the high-capacity rifle magazine had nearly 6,000 signatures on Tuesday, needing another 19,000 by Jan. 22 to provoke an official White House response."

They should definitely arrest Gregory - for pretending to be a journalist.

Redwing
Redwing's picture
miksilvr wrote: Police: NBC

miksilvr wrote:

Police: NBC asked to use high-capacity clip 'er magazine

So, who replaces David Gregory if this incident gets blown out of proportion, too ?

Susan Rice or  Hillary Clinton, if her concussion doesn't prohibit her from ever speaking again.

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
The real subject at hand here

The real subject at hand here is the magazine size.  I for one would like to see magazine sizes limited just for the reason that it could, emphasize on could, make a difference in the life or death of some people.  Having said that I will be the first one to admit that limiting the size of a legal magazine will make little to no difference in a case such as the one at the school.  If you can't get your hands on a large capacity magazine, (which is almost impossible to enforce) then somebody who has decided to do a mass killing is going to carry multiple low capacity magazines anyway.  You can fit many in your pockets.  It only takes seconds to change magazines even among amateurs.  This is a good issue for spur of the moment, going postal moments but a non issue when it comes to thought out gun crimes.

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
Wrong. Jared Laugtner was

Wrong. Jared Laugtner was taken down by a geriatric Grandmother while reloading. A smaller magazine would have saved lives.

DenisePf
DenisePf's picture
micahjr34 wrote: I would be

micahjr34 wrote:

I would be willing to have an armed guard(s) in the schools if that individual or individuals were highly trained and drilled, had at least 4 years of service in the military or police, and a degree in criminology or the equivalent.  Also, that person or persons must be highly accountable to rules and regulations.  I say this because I would like only someone who is extremely competent to be carrying a gun in the schools and acting as a gaurd with students around.

Schools are already cash strapped.  Will the NRA be paying for the program they are recommending?

I'd bet if they are willing, few school districts would balk at the plan.  Many schools already have police officer type people on premises -- making that universal isn't that radical except for the funding part -- which is a very real issue for alot of places.

BUT I don't see the plan as having a prayer of preventing future shootings.  Do you think that the guy who easily shot 6 year olds would think twice about adding a cop to his list of victims?  Easy to sneak up on a cop again once everyone goes back into complacency.

miksilvr
Redwing wrote: miksilvr

Redwing wrote:

miksilvr wrote:

Police: NBC asked to use high-capacity clip 'er magazine

Susan Rice or  Hillary Clinton, if her concussion doesn't prohibit her from ever speaking again.

You insensitive ass ... how do you feel about your comments NOW ???!!!

Hillary Clinton's blood clot treatment and the need for privacy

It was not even a bit funny then, even less now.  The only person you owe an apology to is yourself!

miksilvr
"Dirty Harry" dialogue if it

"Dirty Harry" dialogue if it were made today:

Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire thirty shots or only twenty nine?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. ... you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? 

Dirty Harry (1971) - Memorable quotes

miksilvr
Pierpont wrote: micahjr34

Pierpont wrote:

micahjr34 wrote:

Pierpont,

You make a point in saying that if mass shooters wanted easy targets, they'll just choose targets with no gaurds or that has otherwise insufficient security.  What I was trying to say is that if I were to support an armed guard in the schools, I would like them to be extremely competent and trained.  I would prefer it if there was no armed gaurd, but if I didn't have a choice, that is what I would like.

My only point was to begin considering such proposals is a slippery slope to accepting the dystopian Gun Nut world view. Questioning that view might be a more productive place to start.

I agree with Pierpont.

Columbine had an armed guard on duty, so, in the RW world logic, therefore nobody died ?

Not exactly!

Columbine Shows Why NRA's "School Shield" Likely Wouldn't Work

Redwing
Redwing's picture
I think it is terrrible news

I think it is terrrible news for America.  She will surely never be able to run for president with that potential for disaster lodged in her head. I know you would agree the stress of running for that office would not be the correct thing for her to do given the circumstances.

Art
Art's picture
Quote: She will surely never

Quote:
 She will surely never be able to run for president with that potential for disaster lodged in her head. I know you would agree the stress of running for that office would not be the correct thing for her to do given the circumstances.
I don't agree with that at all. I have complete faith in the type of person she would select as VP. Republicans haven't done so well in that regard lately. Potential "disaster"? If she turned out to be the choice, I'ld certainly be willing to risk that. 

miksilvr
Hillary was my 3rd choice

Hillary was my 3rd choice during the primaries in 2008, after my first two choices (Bill Richardson and Joe Biden) faded one after the other.  A few weeks later Obama made his "Speech on Race" in Philadelphia on March 18, 2008    He had my vote after that.

I hope she chooses health and family over any further public service.

Redwing
Redwing's picture
Art:  I am having a little

Art:  I am having a little trouble understanding your proclamation.

Are you saying you want Hillary to undergo the documented stress that a president goes through and have her risk her life, not to mention the entire country, knowing full well that her physical and mental well being is in danger to a far greater extent than someone without her proven health problem? Do you really think that little of her?  If I remember correctly, the Thomheads were busy tearing down Christie due to the fact his weight would leave him prone to diabetes and heart attacks. I am sure that issue will be brought up any day now by our favorite trolls.

As for the vice president backup plan, very few people ever consider the fact that individual might have to take over the office. Biden, Dan Quayle, Hubert Humphrey, give me a break. You can't be serious. My guess is, if 100 random people were asked, 25% could not even name the current vice president. Jay Leno and David Letterman prove that weekly on their TV shows. Besides, who ever heard of a "Bidenphone" anyway.

Art
Art's picture
I don't know what's so hard

I don't know what's so hard to understand. I don't know Hillary personally, and I figure she is infinitely the better person to be assessing her health potential along with the help of the expertise of the best licensed, experienced health care professionals she has access to. Certainly not my place to be making those decisions. 

I don't remember hearing Thom's fans expressing fears over Christie's health potential either, although I do remember hearing some journalists asking people if this should be a concern to voters. Christie is a big boy (duh) and well able to make those decisions for himself.

Quote:
As for the vice president backup plan, very few people ever consider the fact that individual might have to take over the office
You don't recall the concerns of millions of voters over what kind of hands the country would be in if McCain were to tip over in office? 

Hope this helps to clear up your confusion.

mjolnir
mjolnir's picture
http://www.washingtontimes.co

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/4/if-youre-not-david-gregory/

"The Washington Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) inquiry into whether NBC’s David Gregory possession on national TV of an illegal 30-round “high-capacity” magazine has been ongoing for three weeks. Meanwhile, U.S. Army veteran James Brinkley is still grappling with the fallout from his arrest last year on the same charge."

p

miksilvr
Speaking of confusion ...  I

Speaking of confusion ... 

I find it odd that I agree more with Redwing on this issue than Art !  

I have not gotten around to buying a new calendar yet, but today just can't be April fools day!  You two didn't exchange IDs today, did you?

But seriously, folks ...this is not easy to say.  With Hillary deciding to leave her current position after four years, possibly due to the physical strain of the travel the job requires, I wonder how she would hold up under the pressure at the WH.  If she did run and win, could we have a repeat of the Woodrow Wilson administration, with the spouse taking over if Hillary became incapacitated?  "The Big Dawg" would be a better stand-in than Ellen Wilson was ... I think he is better at  than Ellen.

Joe Biden's son having a stroke at age 41 makes me wonder about the chance of Joe himself having one.  Is there a family history of strokes in the Biden family other than Beau? 

Over the years there have been sick jokes about presidential nominees after JFK choosing a perceived weak running mate as some sort of insurance policy against bullets ... walking / talking kevlar, if you will.  Agnew, Quayle, and Palin, for example were thought by some to not have been chosen because they would be helpful at winning in November, or because they could do an effective job as president themselves if called on. That was back in the days when a domestic "terrorist" with a gun was thought to be the biggest assassination threat to the president.

The perceived independence (or courage) of Chris Christie since Sandy has surprised many, especially democrats.  I would not be at all surprised if he left the republican party after all this, with the way he feels those representing the republican party in DC have left him and the people of his state down.  He might be a little less supportive of the TEApublicans that were the leading voices against the Sandy aid, and look elsewhere for help.

Christies weight bothers me, for his health's sake, knowing the health risks that accompany it.  There are type 1 and type 2 Diabetes cases in my family.  It's an ugly illness to deal with, and even uglier if you don't keep it under control, or if you are not even aware that you have it.

miksilvr
1/6/13 -  HuffPost

1/6/13 - 

Hillary Clinton will return to work on Monday 

mjolnir
mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

mjolnir wrote:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/4/if-youre-not-david-gregory/

"The Washington Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) inquiry into whether NBC’s David Gregory possession on national TV of an illegal 30-round “high-capacity” magazine has been ongoing for three weeks. Meanwhile, U.S. Army veteran James Brinkley is still grappling with the fallout from his arrest last year on the same charge."

Someone in this same dept. and possible the Philadelphia police quite probably broke the law and aided Sen. Dianne Feinstein in her "dog-and-pony" show Jan. 24 news conference introducing her new “assault weapons” ban. David Gregory is apparently not the only gun control zealot who thumbs his nose at the law.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/9/miller-how-a-senator-got-her-guns-for-a-dc-show-an/?page=all#pagebreak

"Washington Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier seems to think that gun-control laws don’t apply to the liberal elite. The police chief helped Sen. Dianne Feinstein acquire “assault weapons,” which are illegal to possess in the District, for a news conference early this year to promote a ban on these firearms, then tried to cover up the police involvement.

Now, a response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request reveals Chief Lanier’s shocking willingness to bend the rules for partisan and ideological purposes."

"Since Cmdr. Williams did not have all the firearms the senator sought, Mr. DeWitt asked Philadelphia police to provide the missing ones, which meant bringing “the P15 and the Glock extended magazine” to Washington.

All of these firearms are illegal in the city — even on federal property — owing to the District’s law banning rifles with a detachable magazine and such features as a pistol grip or folding stock and all firearms with a magazines capacity of more than 10 rounds."

Feintein apparently never touched the weapons but whoever, police or not, brought, and/or "possessed" the Smith & Wesson M&P15 and a Glock 19 with a “high-capacity magazine” inside the D.C. jurisdiction appears to have broken the draconian law.  

D_NATURED
D_NATURED's picture
Has the irony occurred to

Has the irony occurred to anyone that conservatives will gladly spend money on armed guards for schools but not for anything that enhances the learning process? Shows of force are easily understood by the conservative mind but demonstrations of critical thought are dismissed as brain washing by the liberal education establishment, which must seem that way when you consider how much the right engages in magical thinking.

I work with a couple of conservatives who can't wait to underfund the schools as a way of hurting the unions. They don't realize they hurt everyone when they do that, including themselves. When they act concerned about childhood safety I chuckle the sort of chuckle that you chuckle when you'd rather cry from frustration at watching the politically faithful apply their magical thinking "skills" to the problems of our time. It becomes a bit like watching the repetitious behaviors of the insane as they dust off the past's failed policies and repackage them for consumption by idiots.

What that means to me is, children are just political pawns, nothing more. Before we worry about our children getting shot, we should make sure their going to school isn't just for show. For every child killed at school, there are a thousand who are ruined through societal apathy and personal greed, the two-headed monster of conservatism that the David Greggory's of the world will never discuss and the GOP will never own.

David Greggory is a corporate whore, which should make him a conservative darling. He dared to attack the gun culture, though, and that was just too much to take. This, the gun issue, is yet another example of how conservatives are sooooo principled, they constantly take positions that cause societal dysfunction, just to show how principled they are.

If a functioning society were a conservative principle, we'd all be better off.

mjolnir
mjolnir's picture
http://www.washingtontimes.co

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/26/miller-exclusive-shock-v...

"The nation’s capital is overrun with criminals, yet the police and prosecutors continue to waste time and resources to go after law abiding people who inadvertently cross the ridiculous firearms laws.

What makes the situation more dire is that the unelected attorney general for D.C., Irvin Nathan, does not go after his rich, liberal buddies. Just a year ago, Mr. Nathan declined to prosecute NBC’s David Gregory for knowing breaking the law against possessing a “high-capacity magazine.” The attorney general said it was not in the interest of public safety. 

But when it comes to regular people like Spc. Meckler and Mr. Witaschek, Mr. Nathan believes having ammo but no gun makes them a danger to society. "

It appears that this guy was "guilty" of casting .45 caliber bullets with a slight hollow point to be shot from a .50 cal. muzzle loader with sabots. He gets a record, Gregory gets nothing. Stupid gun laws.

Legend
Legend's picture
I graduated from High School

I graduated from High School in the Los Angeles area in 1968. We did not have armed gaurds on campus. There was no need or consideration. The thought of a gun on campus was not there. There were no semi automatic weapons. The M-16 was a military weapon. I do not know of concealed carry permits at that time. If they did have them they were hard to get.  What the NRA, the Republicans and the gun culture has brought us is mass murder. A need for armed guards in Elementary schools. A society where they feel that everyone should carry a gun. A society where you need a bigger gun with more bullets than the other guy. People afraid to walk the streets without a gun. A right to shoot someone just because you are paranoid. The rest of the world thinks Americans are nuts. It was a better country in 1968.