"Report: Eric Cantor putting politics ahead of prosecuting rape" and holding up reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act

55 posts / 0 new

As if you needed another reason to suspect some politicians just don't have a heart, Virginia's Eric Cantor gives you one ... he is holding up reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which expired in 2011, because he does not want to give more power to the tribal authorities on Native American reservations. Zachary Roth reports:

The rate of sexual assault on Native-American women is more than twice the national average. And according to Amnesty International, 86% of Native American women who are raped are attacked by non-Indians—who are beyond the reach of tribal authorities. As a result, “we have serial rapists on the reservation—that are non-Indian—because they know they can get away with it,” one native American activist told Salon.

Report: Eric Cantor putting politics ahead of prosecuting rape

from CREDO Action:

Tell Eric Cantor and extremist House Republicans: Stop blocking the Violence Against Women Act

from the Center for American Progress Action Fund:

Tell Congress to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act without delay.

CONTACT REP. ERIC CANTOR

The Vanguard series on Current TV covered the subject of rapes of women on the reservations on this episode which aired on 6/3/10:

Inside Vanguard's Rape on the Reservation: Mariana van Zeller Reflects

Rape on the Reservation

from 5/18/11:

'Rape on the Reservation': Vanguard Update

miksilvr

Comments

12/11/12 -

Violence Against Women Act: John Boehner, Eric Cantor Pressured By Republicans To Act

miksilvr

12/16/12 -

a discussion on the Violence Against Women Act, domestic violence against women, and the Tribal Nations position on the need for greater security:

Violence Against Women Act talks renew

A safe place for victims of domestic violence

Tribal Nations seek protection under VAWA

miksilvr

12/16/12 -

Pressure mounts to reauthorize VAWA

Women politically vulnerable without VAWA

12/21/12 -

{the article on this link contains the above video links plus additional background material}

sample of how Cantor's objection to increasing powers of tribal authorities also affects non-Native women:

Tulalip Tribe Vice Chairwoman Deborah Parker powerfully evoked the need for VAWA:

It’s not only Native American women. Last night, I received a call from a non-Native woman who had the perpetrator drag her to what he thought was a reservation, and you know what? He missed the mark. It wasn’t reservation land. He raped her, he abused her, he left her there for dead. And guess what–she survived! And he got a long sentence. But she had told me last night that had that been reservation land, he would’ve gotten away with it.

Why does the Violence Against Women Act remain stalled?

items from the links on that page:

Violence Against Women Act: House Republican Women Emerge As Key To Possible Action

from Jonathan Capehart on comments made by Chloe Angyal in the next link:

Capehart: Angyal went even further by calling Cantor “the patron saint of rapists.”

Angyal: I think we need to ask why Eric Cantor is going to such efforts, to such extensive efforts to protect men who go onto reservations to rape women. We need to talk about it and frame it as violence against women, but we also need to flip it around and talk about it, this is about protecting rapists. That’s exactly what Eric Cantor and the House Republicans are doing when they are holding this up.

Protecting rapists, murderers by killing VAWA

“Department of Justice Declinations of Indian Country Criminal Matters”

from the next link:

And so far, sources tell HuffPost, Cantor is on board as long as one thing is stripped from the bill: a key protection for Native American women.

Violence Against Women Act: Eric Cantor, Joe Biden In Talks Amid Stalled Tribal Provision

Democratic Congresswoman Gwen Moore’s letter

Can We Count On House Republican Women to Help Pass the Violence Against Women Act?

miksilvr

12/27/12 -

Watch These Brave Women Stand Up for the Violence Against Women Act

1/2/12 -

House GOP Lets Violence Against Women Act Passed By Senate Die Without A Vote

Blocking VAWA, The GOP Keeps Up the War on Women

In Last Salvo on War On Women for 2012 Legislative Session, Congress Refuses to Renew VAWA

1/3/12 -

Violence Against Women Act Debacle: Why Congress Should Be More Diverse

miksilvr

1/2/13 -

House GOP Fails to Act on Violence Against Women

1/3/13 -

House GOP lets the Violence Against Women Act expire for first time since 1994

miksilvr

1/3/13 -

Violence Against Women Act: House Kills Bill to Extend Funding For VAWA

miksilvr

1/4/13 -

Backers hope to revive Violence Against Women Act

House GOP failed women on Violence Against Women Act

Lead the World By Example: Reauthorize VAWA

Domestic abuse shelter facing financial insecurity after VAWA expiration

Blocking VAWA, GOP Keeps Up the War on Women

from the article below:

In this reauthorization process, the idea that we should exclude anyone from protection from violence is patently ridiculous. The arguments that “the real VAWA” was meant to protect “certain” victims, as was made by the House when their bill was introduced excluding LGBTQ people from explicit mention, is blatantly homophobic. There is no question that LGBTQ people experience intimate partner and sexual violence at the same rates as any other community, and face additional obstacles when seeking support. To address, and end, this violence we must be able to explicitly name the problems – and the solutions. There is no credible justification for wanting to exclude LGTQ survivors – or Tribal or immigrant survivors – from the protections that VAWA offers against domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking. In a world as diverse as ours, we cannot afford to ignore any survivor of violence, and the only VAWA for the changing nation is one that includes all survivors.

New Congress should focus on passing VAWA

miksilvr

Have to get over the idea that gambling at Rick's is shocking. I am not trying to trivialize your information, just want to affirm your perception that this sick shit is not to be considered normal.

drc2

1/5/13 -

Violence Against Women Act to be Revisited in New Congress

miksilvr

from Amnesty International:

Contact your Senators and ask them to support and pass S. 47, the re-authorization of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) -

It’s Always the Right Time to do the Right Thing: Reauthorize VAWA!

1/4/13 -

The Indefensible Demise of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA

1/23/13 -

LGBT Domestic Violence Victims Protected in Re-Introduced VAWA Bill

Dear Congress: Let’s Get Moving Together! Reauthorize VAWA Now!

VAWA Reintroduced Yesterday- Take Action Today by Contacting Your Senators!

Democrats renew push for VAWA

VAWA Reauthorization: Senators Introduce Bipartisan Bill That Corners House Republicans

miksilvr

petition from CARE2 at www.thepetitionsite.com : Pass VAWA Now!

from Change.org : Petitioning The U.S. Senate - US Congress: 10,000 Men Supporting the Violence Against Women Act

miksilvr

I received the following email from Kat Barr of Ultraviolet:

Well, finally. You probably heard that the last Congress was one of the least productive in history. Even worse than that, they're the first Congress to fail to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

So it's good news that leaders in the new Congress, in both the House and Senate, just introduced VAWA again. Even better, the versions that have been introduced expand protections to communities who are especially vulnerable to sexual and domestic violence--Native American women, immigrant women, and members of the LGBT community.[1]

But those expanded protections are the very reason House conservatives shamefully refused to act on VAWA last year--leaving millions of women without crucial protections.[2] So if we don't push Congress hard, it might not even come up for a vote this year.

Reporters are already covering the new VAWA bills, and conservatives didn't face nearly enough pressure when they failed to act last year, so now is the time to speak up. New members of Congress are particularly sensitive to news coverage early in their terms, and want to avoid bad press at all costs. So we need to put pressure on them right away. Can you sign this petition telling Congress to expand and reauthorize VAWA? We’ll deliver your signature directly to your member of Congress.

Sign the petition demanding Congress immediately take action on the Violence Against Women Act.

Every nine seconds in the U.S., a woman is assaulted or beaten.[3] Far too many of those incidents are the result of domestic or partner violence.

But thanks to VAWA, we've seen progress. Among many other things, the Violence Against Women Act has:[4]

--Strengthened federal penalties for repeat sex offenders and created a federal “rape shield law,” which prevents offenders from using survivors' past sexual conduct against them at trial.
--Trained over 500,000 law enforcement officers, prosecutors, and judges every year to ensure they understand the realities of domestic and sexual violence.
--Established the National Domestic Violence Hotline, which has answered over 3 million calls and receives over 22,000 calls every month; 92% of callers report that it’s their first call for help.

The results have been clear:[5]

--Between 1993 to 2010, the rate of intimate partner violence declined 67%.
--Between 1993 to 2007, the rate of intimate partner homicides of females decreased 35% and the rate of intimate partner homicides of males decreased 46%.
--More victims are reporting domestic and sexual violence to police, and reports to police are resulting in more arrests.

The legislation introduced this year would expand protections to the very communities most vulnerable to violence: Native American women, immigrant women, and members of the LGBT community. Shamefully, this expansion is what House conservatives are up in arms about, and what prevented reauthorization of VAWA before it expired in 2012.

Women’s lives are at stake. Don’t let House conservatives get away with turning women’s health and safety into a political football. Sign the petition today, and make sure Congress knows that Americans want the Violence Against Women Act reauthorized and expanded immediately.

Sign the petition today.

Thanks for speaking out,

Nita, Shaunna, Kat, and Karin, the UltraViolet team

Sources:

1. "In 2012, the House GOP Blocked the Violence Against Women Act. Will They Do It Again?" Mother Jones, January 23, 2013

2. Ibid.

3. "Every 9 Seconds in the US a Woman Is Assaulted or Beaten - Help End Domestic Violence," National Coalition Against Domestic Violence press release, October 8, 2012

4. "Factsheet: The Violence Against Women Act," The White House, accessed January 24, 2013

5. Ibid.

miksilvr

1/29/13 -

Democrats and Republicans Reignite Fight Over VAWA

1/30/13 -

Patrick Leahy Ties VAWA To Gun Violence Debate

2/4/13 -

Inclusive VAWA vote expected in the U.S. Senate

Senate tries again to move anti-violence bill

miksilvr

Thanks for your persistence and passion on this issue, Miksilvr. Notice how little the Thom Hartmann "community" takes an interest in it, though. Lately, violence against women doesn't seem to garner even as much interest and concern as, say, the economic situation in Zimbabwe. Why is that, do you suppose?

Zenzoe

Zenzoe,i second your thanks to Miksilve. Z, anybody that want attention to a subject, they need to take a lesson from corrupt media, "if it bleeds, it leads". Women who suffer violence should organize and go occupy some of these regressive homes & work place, that would get some attention. PS "bring the kids"!

tayl44's picture
tayl44
Quote Zenzoe:

Thanks for your persistence and passion on this issue, Miksilvr. Notice how little the Thom Hartmann "community" takes an interest in it, though. Lately, violence against women doesn't seem to garner even as much interest and concern as, say, the economic situation in Zimbabwe. Why is that, do you suppose?

I know what you mean. We have seen this pattern in some other threads centered around Women's rights issues; men seem to read them, but rarely comment. I don't know why.

One change in the senate bill that makes it harder for the house to reject it is the senate eliminated the "blue slip problem", removing a provision that created a new fee ... bills coming from the senate to the house are not supposed to raise revenue. That excuse for blocking the VAWA re-authorization is now gone.

This VAWA issue in particular hit home for me, the way that Cantor and the republicans are blocking the addition of protections for Native American women, LGBT's, and immigrant women among others.

One of my niece's is Gay, and this bill could some day protect her or some of her friends, but that did not come into mind until tonight when I was typing this reply ... that was not what got me so interested in this and disgusted with the actions of the so-called leaders in the republican house.

That quote I included when I set up the thread has come to mind often, and that number, 86%, has stuck in my head, 2nd only to 47% (love that symmetry, Mr 47% getting 47% of the popular vote in November !) ...

The rate of sexual assault on Native-American women is more than twice the national average. And according to Amnesty International, 86% of Native American women who are raped are attacked by non-Indians—who are beyond the reach of tribal authorities. As a result, “we have serial rapists on the reservation—that are non-Indian—because they know they can get away with it,” one native American activist told Salon.

I did not realize why that part of the VAWA issue has gotten so much under my skin, until today ... when I remembered that Alicia, my first girlfriend, is Cherokee.

miksilvr

Some things are beyond debate. Zenzoe, please do not equate having nothing to add to indifference.

drc2
Quote tayl44:

Zenzoe,i second your thanks to Miksilve. Z, anybody that want attention to a subject, they need to take a lesson from corrupt media, "if it bleeds, it leads". Women who suffer violence should organize and go occupy some of these regressive homes & work place, that would get some attention. PS "bring the kids"!

I'm not in favor of "occupying" the front yards or neighborhoods of legislators. But I think your idea might work on Fraternity Row. Apparently, a significant number of fraternity guys think rape is normal behavior.

Quote miksilvr:

I did not realize why that part of the VAWA issue has gotten so much under my skin, until today ... when I remembered that Alicia, my first girlfriend, is Cherokee.

Apparently, your quote there fits with this particularly dismal finding: “...one in three men said they would rape if they could be assured they wouldn’t be caught or punished.” What's up with that?

You can identify with the issue because of your relationship with your Cherokee girlfriend. That's good that you realized the association. I would think most men ought to be able to identify with women on this issue— don't they have wives, or lovers, or sisters, or daughters, or mothers?

Quote drc2:

Some things are beyond debate. Zenzoe, please do not equate having nothing to add to indifference.

I was just wondering, Drc. We've discussed rape at the Women's Issues thread, and most recently at the Underneath the Violence...Manhood thread, with Nimblecivet, Natural Lefty, DynoDon and D_NATURED (you've commented there too, but I'd have to go back to see if the subject was rape, per se.). So I wasn't indicting the entire forum. It was just something I felt I'd noticed. In fact, one blog participant had the gall to equate such "women's issues" with "cleaning the toilet, while the house is burning." So I know that some people here aren't exactly big on discussing it.

Anyway, you do know that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference, I'm sure. So I'm glad to know we're not seeing indifference to rape here.

Zenzoe

Zenzoe, you can imagine my answer to the ladies, they have to do more than "occupy" to end the rape culture? Power respect power. There is such a thing as "willpower".( Z, that something you should know about)

tayl44's picture
tayl44

petition from dccc.org :

RETWEET: #ShameOnCantor for blocking #VAWA -->http://t.co/xKbRPRLO #ShameOnCantor

@dccc 10 hours ago

25 retweets | 1 replies

Tell House Republicans: Pass the Violence Against Women Act | DCCCHelp us reach 100,000 strong standing with President Obama to pass the Violence Against Women Act.Read more at dccc.org

miksilvr

the VAWA re-authorization bill for the house is H.R. 11, and for the senate is S. 47.

And the republicans ar on Women continues ...

2/4/13 -

Deb Fischer The Only Female Senator Not Cosponsoring VAWA (UPDATE)

2/5/13 -

Eric Cantor Targeted Over Stalled Violence Against Women Act

2/6/13 -

USET continues support of VAWA

Bordallo Visits Erica’s House, Highlights Importance of VAWA Reauthorization | Congresswoman Madeleine Bordallo

Meet The Four Republican Senators Who Think The Violence Against Women Act Is Unconstitutional

Eric Cantor: I 'Care Very Deeply About Women'

Family Research Council: “Real abuse” is cost of VAWA to taxpayers

My Turn: Why is Mike Lee against protecting women from domestic violence?

miksilvr

2/5/13 -

Cantor’s ‘softening’ speech omits Violence Against Women Act

miksilvr

Factsheet: The Violence Against Women Act

Twitter / Search - #vawa

2/7/13 -

Grassley/Hutchison VAWA Amendment Knocked Down

VAWA Vote: Senate Rejects GOP Alternative That Omits LGBT, Native American Protections

2/8/13 -

Senate rejects Republican version of VAWA without LGBT protections

VAWA Must Pass to Protect All Women, Regardless of Race

Final Senate Vote On VAWA Early Next Week

Grassley Substitute Bill defeated

2/10/13 -

Deliver me from Ignorance: Renewing VAWA

Honest question regarding the GOP and the VAWA?

miksilvr

2/11/13 -

Monday: Senate takes up VAWA, may finish Tuesday

GOP Silence on VAWA is Deafening

Conservative Advocates: Violence Against Women Act Unfair To Men

What the ... ???????????

Do these neanderthals think that men actually have a RIGHT to assault women?

After watching displays such as this treatment of women and the VAWA from republicans in congress, I can't understand why women would ever vote for them.

miksilvr
Quote miksilvr:

2/11/13 -

Monday: Senate takes up VAWA, may finish Tuesday

GOP Silence on VAWA is Deafening

Conservative Advocates: Violence Against Women Act Unfair To Men

What the ... ???????????

Do these neanderthals think that men actually have a RIGHT to assault women?

After watching displays such as this treatment of women and the VAWA from republicans in congress, I can't understand why women would ever vote for them.

I do SO agree, Miksilvr.

I just read parts of the Re-authorization. It's mostly inserts to be applied to the original VAWA, obviously. But, here's a summary that speaks to the importance of the bill: http://4vawa.org/pages/facts-supporting-vawa-s47   I don't know if you've already posted that one or not.

Anyway, it should be clear to everybody that local and state police do not have the funding nor the support to address the problem of violence against women appropriately. The massive backlogs of rape kits awaiting processing should give the Republicans a clue. But their agenda has no relation to the realities women face. Instead, they're hysterical over "terrorist" threats, while women experience terrorism on a daily basis in this country. Their mind-set has women as the hysterical group who make false claims of rape and abuse, even though false reports represent a tiny percentage compared to legitimate reports. Additionally, Republicans subscribe to hierarchy— when women complain about the violence men do to them, in the conservative mind, that's a violation of the hierarchical system; women are hitting back UP the hierarchy. That's a no-no, something not to be believed.

I've had to call 9-11 three times in the past couple of months, upon hearing the sounds of domestic violence next door, specifically a woman's terrified screams, sobbing and sounds of violence. The last time I called the police, three officers arrived, went into the home and stayed for an hour. I assume they were doing social work, because the guy wasn't arrested. Now that woman has left, and another woman has apparently taken her place. So far it's been relatively quiet. I figure it's only a matter of time.

Zenzoe

These are the kind of cases the VAWA is meant to prevent:

2/20/12 -

More protection for victims of abusive relationships

2/7/13 -

Balto. Co. woman murdered despite police safety watch

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maryland's law in dealing with cases like the one you mentioned in the last paragraph was changed some years ago ... if the police receive a domestic "disturbance" call like that, they are required to make an arrest. They may not necessarily press charges, but they are required by law to make an arrest at least in an attempt to defuse the situation.

Separating the victim from the abuser also gives the chance of intervention if the victim desires it. Otherwise, they may not have the courage or the chance to get help when needed.

Because of that, some abused parties hesitate to make the calls themselves, because they know it will likely trigger more abuse in retaliation. Bystanders are sometimes urged by the victim not to place the call either. I find that aspect of the problem troubling.

miksilvr

2/11/13 -

Lots of news on the VAWA today. It looks like the Senate will vote on Tuesday the 12th.

Republicans Take Abusers’ Side on VAWA

Murray Takes On ‘Out-Of-Touch, Extremist’ Conservatives On VAWA

Silence Against Women: House GOP silent as Senate poised to pass VAWA

GOP Silence on VAWA Is Deafening

VAWA Vote Prompts False Information From Conservative Groups

Senate rejects Coburn-amendment to VAWA on tribal jurisdiction

NM-Sen: Tom Udall (D), “Reauthorizing the VAWA Crucial For Protecting Native American Women"

VAWA Reauthorization: House Republicans Urge Boehner, Cantor To Pass Bipartisan Bill

miksilvr

2/12/13 -

House Republicans Beg Party Pedants to Pass VAWA

The Senate just passed S. 47 to reauthorize the VAWA.

VAWA reauthorized in the Senate: Yeas: 78, Nays: 22

In VAWA Vote, Senate Overwhelmingly Passes Violence Against Women Act

Civil and Human Rights Coalition Applauds Senate Passage of the Violence Against Women Act

Now is the time to get Cantor off his ass and get the house moving to reauthorize the VAWA.

miksilvr

2/12/13 -

Senate votes to reauthorize Violence Against Women Act

Obama praises Senate, pushes House on VAWA

miksilvr

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2013/02/12-0

Zenzoe

Zenzoe, happy to see your post again. I wonder how the females of the families of them 22 congressmen feel? A woman answer a question in another thread($25hr mailman) that made me think of you, She say "Homeland Security was paying guards $5hr"(Florida) The guys touch on some basic details of the issue with their responses, but the idea of paying security guard so little after 9/11 and the war on terrorism, touch the basic point of the thread. Z, you talk about balance,this lady statement cover the big picture. Some say the $25hr mailman make too much,these are the same people that want pay $5hr to protect the "homeland"? I`m not going say anymore "i will be banned"!

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Hi Tayl. This article, Top VAWA Opponents Partnered with Convicted Wife-Beater and Group Tied to Mail Order Bride Firm, provides some insight into the motivations of the opposition to VAWA.

The letter was signed by leaders from major Religious Right groups like FRC, Eagle Forum, Liberty Counsel, Traditional Values Coalition, and the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission. It was also signed by Timothy Johnson, former vice chair of the North Carolina Republican Party and founder and president of the Frederick Douglass Foundation, a small organization focused on outreach to conservative African Americans.

But there’s a big problem with partnering with Johnson on an issue like VAWA, and it’s been widely reported. Back in 2009, when Johnson was running for vice chair of the NC GOP, the media reported on his felony domestic violence conviction from 1996. He responded by releasing a statement of support from his ex-wife – “Were I a resident of the state I would vote for him.” Except she never said that. Months later the media reported that Johnson had fabricated the endorsement:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/27/1058981/-NH-Republicans-Back-Pr...

Unfortunately, it appears that among the "traditional values" of these folks will be the supposed right of husbands to beat their wives. And I consider the failure of those 22 Republicans to vote for VAWA an indicator of that, regardless of their stated rationales. As for their wives, mothers, girlfriends and sisters— who knows? Some of them may be Democrats and equally horrified at the notion that VAWA would not be passed. But I doubt it. In my experience, such ladies, raised within conservative households, usually conform to the family codes of conduct and thought. Scary, but true.

As for that other thread, it sounds interesting, but you didn't provide a link. I wish you would next time. I'm not always here, checking things out, and sometimes I miss some good threads. Maybe I'll go search, now that you've given me the heads-up. :-)

Zenzoe

Hi Zenzoe .

I think this is the thread tayl44 mentioned :

Is $25 an hour for a mailman too much compare to the money Wall st makes?

Some of the 22 "no" votes in the senate are likely from people backed by The American Taliban (aka the Dominionists), and/or are part of the teabagger caucus. Many of those types fit the anti-science, anti-equal-pay-for-women, anti-womens-rights, and rapey-guy mold.

Either that, or they may object to some portion of the bill because some campaign contributors told them to do so. Others come up with lame explanations (ie excuses) for voting "no", saying that something was left out of the bill that should have been there. Rather than judging the bill on what IS in there, they whine about something that was left out.

miksilvr

new related item on the message board today from Thom's news segment:

VAWA... it's about time!

miksilvr
Quote miksilvr:

Hi Zenzoe .

I think this is the thread tayl44 mentioned :

Is $25 an hour for a mailman too much compare to the money Wall st makes?

Thanks for the link! I'll have to check it out.

Quote miksilvr:

Some of the 22 "no" votes in the senate are likely from people backed by The American Taliban (aka the Dominionists), and/or are part of the teabagger caucus. Many of those types fit the anti-science, anti-equal-pay-for-women, anti-womens-rights, and rapey-guy mold.

"Rapey-guy mold"— that's a good way to describe them. "Here's rapey-guy Todd Akin..." ;-)

Quote miksilvr:

Either that, or they may object to some portion of the bill because some campaign contributors told them to do so. Others come up with lame explanations (ie excuses) for voting "no", saying that something was left out of the bill that should have been there. Rather than judging the bill on what IS in there, they whine about something that was left out.

Whatever their explanations, to women who have been raped, beaten and abused, it comes down to insult added to injury. Voting against the bill itself represents violence against women! When legislators don't demonstrate concern and care for women, over and above all else, the message is clear: only the powerful count; not women, not Native American women nor LGBTs. But we've witnessed this kind of uncaring behavior in these people before, in many different realms. The sickening part is how proud of themselves they are.

Zenzoe

Thanks Miksilvr for helpout with link for Zenzoe. Z, it`s about economics, you should know me by now, hope it catch your interests, we need more women economists.(or more emotion/empathy) Z, the only motivation i see with the GOP and VAWA is a "divide & conquer" between the people left out and the people(dumbdown) who are happy they`re out. When we are fighting each other, you know who gain. Z, you can bet the women brought up in conservative households are looking to be as free as women wish they could free from wearing "hi-heels"? Miksilvr, i`m going disagree with you a little, i think the foreign Taliban is religous extremists being a cause & effect from "foreign criminal extremists". Other than that, thanks for all that you do.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Sorry I'm so late in this subject. I just joined and am still trying to figure out how this site works. But the Senate passed the VAWA with a vote of 78 to 22. One of those 22 fine men was none other than the one the GOP is primping for the presidential run in 2016, Marco Rubio. I hope the Latinos don't get so overexcited about him for standing up for immigration reform. He didn't do it for them, he did it for his party.

The picture of all 22 was posted in Politico. I usually blog at Current.com, but I always have to come here to see what Thom is saying, and just today I posted my first comment and first blog. But I'll start watching more. It's not that we don't care, it's just that there aren't enough hours in the day to complain about all the b.s. we've had to put up with for so many years now. And it's hard enough to get one attrocity fixed, let alone the thousands of others, not the least of which is the loss of our democracy to a plutocratic fascist state.

Marsh In Florida's picture
Marsh In Florida
Quote tayl44:

Miksilvr, i`m going disagree with you a little, i think the foreign Taliban is religous extremists being a cause & effect from "foreign criminal extremists". Other than that, thanks for all that you do.

The expression "American Taliban" is used to refer to the RW religious extremist groups such as The Dominionists. The type that backed various republican presidential candidates, including Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum and later had to reluctantly settle for backing the last guy standing, who happened to be a Mormon. They had so much money backing Romney they would have owned him. These people feel white christian men should rule the world.

Those RW so-called evangelical groups are said to want to take women's rights back to the bronze age, which largely explains the republican war on women and all the rape comment slip-ups. Those comments are a litmus test for the men this group backs as teabagger candidates. They are pushing creationism and christian prayer in the schools, and dumbing down the science curriculum.

here are some links describing these groups:

A Christian Plot for Domination?

LEAP OF FAITH - The making of a Republican front-runner.

this message board post contains links to some others on the subject:

Here's why this New Apostolic, Dominionist or Reconstructionist pseudo-evangelical movement is so dangerous

this one deals with Rubio and some of the RW religous groups rejection of science:

"If evidence seems to contradict faith, suppress the evidence." ... Paul Krugman on Rubio and GOP's view of science

miksilvr

2/4/13 -

FRONTLINE : Will the Violence Against Women Act Close a Tribal Justice “Loophole”?

lots of reaction to the Senate's passing the VAWA yesterday:

2/12/13 -

Senate keeps tribal jurisdiction provisions in VAWA measure

Senate votes to add human trafficking measures to VAWA

22 Male Senators Vote No on VAWA

Obama praises Senate, pushes House on VAWA

2/13/13 -

Native Sun News: Senate passes VAWA with tribal provisions

What does VAWA have to do with Dred Scott, Rehnquist and Apartheid?

NOW Salutes Senate Vote on Violence Against Women Act Calls on House to Follow Lead and Pass Inclusive VAWA

Senate's Historic Vote on VAWA

House Republicans Plan To Act On VAWA In ‘Coming Weeks’

Leahy slams Republican opposition to Violence Against Women Act: ‘A victim is a victim’

miksilvr

2/14/13 -

One billion women violated is an atrocity. One billion women dancing is a revolution. Today, I rise.

miksilvr

Miksilvr, can we agree on calling the RW, "religious criminals"? (that should cover foreign & local)

tayl44's picture
tayl44

2/13/13 -

Pass the Violence Against Women Act

Additionally, VAWA has been vitally important to Native American women — one in three of them is a sexual violence survivor, and the murder rate for Native American women is a stunning 10 times higher than the national average.

But it is a provision dealing with the prosecution of abuse on Indian reservations that has proved one of the biggest obstacles to reauthorization. The Senate bill says that non-Native Americans accused of abusing Native American women on reservations can be tried in tribal courts; under current law, such cases are rarely prosecuted at all. But some Republicans have complained that those courts offer insufficient protections for the defendants' constitutional rights. If that is the true complaint, the answer is to provide more resources for those courts, not to allow non-Native Americans to abuse Native American women with impunity.

The other objections to the bill are similarly hollow. Some Republicans are opposed to a provision that allows immigrant victims of abuse to gain permanent residency, on the assumption that some could manipulate the law to find a way to stay in this country. But the opposite risk — that an immigrant woman would stay in an abusive relationship to avoid the chance that she could be deported — is much greater. Some also oppose the bill's nondiscrimination clause for gay, lesbian and transgender victims of abuse, but why should they be any less worthy of protection?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-violence-women-20130213,0,3781667.story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/15/13 -

EDITORIAL: Act now to protect victims of domestic abuse

The renewal legislation sets aside $659 million over five years for programs that operate under the act. What made it unacceptable to a small number of GOP senators -- and may bring similar trouble in the House -- is that it expands the protections of the program to lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people, and to Native American victims of domestic violence.

If we follow the opposition's argument correctly, those people aren't worthy of special protection. A clue for the clueless: Voting against help for people whose sexual or ethnic orientation frequently make them targets for violence won't make them go away.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/sns-mct-editorial-act-now-to-protect-victims-of-domestic-20130215,0,1728292.story

miksilvr

National Network to End Domestic Violence

2/14/13 -

VAWA Must Pass to Protect All Women, Regardless of Race

2/15/13 -

Sequestration Would Slash VAWA Programs By $20 Million: DOJ

VAWA : Why Native Women Matter -Winona LaDuke -TEDx Video by Whisper

2/17/13 -

Gillibrand calls on House lawmakers to renew the Violence Against Women Act

2/19/13 -

???????

John Duncan On VAWA: Most Men Can Handle Violence Better Than Most Women

UN Experts Urge Congress To Pass VAWA

miksilvr

2/22/13 -

House GOP strips LGBT protections from VAWA

VAWA 2013: House GOP Unveils Bill With No LGBT Protections, Modified Tribal Provision

2/23/13 -

The GOP’s version of VAWA Should be called the Defense of Violence Against Women Act

House GOP’s VAWA proposal nixes LGBT, American Indian protections

Violence Against Women Act isn’t just a good bill in name only

2/24/13 -

UltraViolet Responds to GOP VAWA Rollback Statement from UltraViolet Co-Founder Nita Chaudhary

miksilvr

2/26/13 -

House Expected to Pass Senate Version of VAWA

2/27/13 -

House GOP to Sneakily Allow VAWA

House GOP decision to move VAWA bill causes conservatives unease

2/28/13 -

Let's Renew VAWA Today

VAWA Vote: Bill Stands a Chance in Congress On Thursday

miksilvr

2/27/13 -

In Closed-Door Meeting, Cantor Warned of ‘Civil War’

2/28/13 -

Finally !!!

BREAKING: Congress Finally Reauthorizes Violence Against Women Act

VAWA Passes, the Hastert Rule Takes a Tumble

Violence Against Women Act clears House, headed to Obama's desk

Congress Passes VAWA Reauthorization with Tribal Jurisdiction Provisions Intact

Congress Finally Passes the Violence Against Women Act

VAWA passes House, with full protections for LGBT, Native Americans

VAWA victory shows that House GOP needs Democrats

miksilvr

Here is a thread with the list of the Legislators and Senators who

VOTED AGAINST the VAWA

northlander

2/28/13 -

More on the House passing the Senate's version of the VAWA:

No longer protecting rapists, murderers with inclusive VAWA

Biden thanks GOP adversary for not blocking VAWA

Likely GOP Senate candidates vote against VAWA, hand Democrats attack line

The New York times op-ed mentioned in the above Jonathan Capehart piece:

Native Americans and the Violence Against Women Act - NYTimes.com

miksilvr

2/28/13 -

Sixteen Republicans who Democrats hope to target backed the bill

Most potential GOP Senate candidates vote against VAWA

"Today's vote will go even further by continuing to reduce domestic violence, improving how we treat victims of rape, and extending protections to Native American women and members of the LGBT community," President Barack Obama said in a statement following the vote. "Renewing this bill is an important step towards making sure no one in America is forced to live in fear, and I look forward to signing it into law as soon as it hits my desk."

Congress approves LGBT-inclusive VAWA, Obama vows to sign

Every single voting House Republican from a district President Obama won last November supported the bill, while nearly two-thirds of the whole Republican conference voted no.

Vulnerable Republicans Side With Dems to Reauthorize VAWA

"I can never explain what Republicans were thinking. I'll never understand," Pelosi said in a brief interview with The Huffington Post on Thursday. "They either don't know what's in the bill or they're just using talking points."

Nancy Pelosi On VAWA Fight: 'I Can Never Explain What Republicans Were Thinking'

All 138 of the No votes against the VAWA were Republicans."

More GOP Female Reps vote against VAWA than in favor of

miksilvr

Zenzoe,

I admit that this was low on my priority list. That is going to change, though! Thanks to the other posters here as well!

micahjr34

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.