In a world full of suffering, the winter holidays remind me to hope for the world!

6 posts / 0 new

With all the suffering I have experienced in life, I realize that it can be a cycle that a person can continuously be dished and to dish out to others. I say that enough is enough as far as I am concerned!

I am going to reduce how much of suffering I dish out to everyone, whether it originally came from me or someone else. I am going to try to reduce the amount of suffering I inflict on animals by reducing the amount of animal products I use. I may not succeed 100%, but to me, if I just try to reduce the suffering I dish out even a little bit, it is a victory.

I am going to try to reduce the amount of suffering I inflict on other people, even if they try to inflict it on me first. I am going to ty to reflect on what I can do to reduce my contribution to the suffering in the world. I may not succeed 100%, but if I reduce it just a little, that is a victory.

I forgive anyone and everyone who has ever hurt me! Yes, I do believe that there needs to be consequence for actions taken, but not in a way that perpetuates the continual cycle of suffering when someone hurts me, I hurt them back, they hurt me and my friends, and I hurt them and their friends. To me, forgiveness is not about being "nice and sweet," it is about stopping the cycle of being hurt and hurting others in reaction.

Yes, I forgive everyone! Not to ignore the consequences of my actions and the actions of others, but rather to stop the perpetual cycle of misery and suffering in the world!

Whatever tradition you practice or do not practice, I wish you well in 2013!

micahjr34

Comments

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year to you Micahjr34. What a wonderful world it would be if we had a few billion more like you. Peace to you.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Same here- you too, Bush-Wacker.

micahjr34We were born into a world of suffering and woe, though it is hard to understand why some seem more happily born than others. When I was in high school during the Viet Nam War, one of our favorite songs was "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother." It is also a relevant Christmas Season Song, having been performed by
THE HOLLIES
"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" (by B. Scott and B. Russell)

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where-
Who knows when?

But I'm strong,
Strong enough to carry him.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go!
His welfare is of my concern.
No burden is he to bear,
We'll get there.

For I know
He would not encumber me.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

If I'm laden at all,
I'm laden with sadness,
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another.

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return.
While we're on the way to there
Why not share?

And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

He's my brother.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother..."

leighmf's picture
leighmf

Thank you Leighmf. I have a sister with cereberal palsey and I used to sing that song to her when we were youngsters. She says that she still cries whenever she hears it. It's a wonderful and meaningful song.

I saved Long Cool Woman in A Black Dress for my trampy sister. LOL Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

My sister gets Devil With a Blue Dress On. But Bless us All anyway- LOL

leighmf's picture
leighmf

Yes, being aware of the suffering is the start. We cannot exercise our conscience in a state of ignorance...not effectively any way.

Not to be a contrarian, but I find hope for the future all year long and, surprisingly, the hope I find around the holidays is in the words of those who reject them and the monument to capitalism that they've become. I find it refreshing that so many can see through the shameless salesmanship. I still love Thanksgiving because it's about being grateful for what you have in terms of friends, family and the other more direct life-sustaining needs, like turkey.

You are right that awareness is the beginning of making the small changes that create big differences. Forgiveness is so important for the forgiver that whether there is any other external benefit is unimportant, though you correctly identify the end of the revenge cycle as a positive external effect. It's the gift that keeps on giving and though it costs us nothing it's the hardest one to give.

D_NATURED's picture
D_NATURED

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.