"The brilliant mind, righteous heart of Aaron Swartz will be missed"...progressive activist, founder of Demand Progress

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
miksilvr

Chris Hayes remembers Aaron Swartz, the hacker, programmer, writer and activist, who took his own life in his home this week.  Swartz, who suffered from depression, was found Friday.  He was facing a trial on federal hacking charges ...

You should also know that at the time of his death Aaron was being prosecuted by the federal government and threatened with up to 35 years in prison and $1 million in fines for the crime of — and I’m not exaggerating here — downloading too many free articles from the online database of scholarly work JSTOR.

???????

In a statement about his death Aaron’s family and partner wrote:

“Aaron’s death is not simply a personal tragedy. It is the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach. Decisions made by officials in the Massachusetts U.S. Attorney’s office and at MIT contributed to his death.”

The brilliant mind, righteous heart of Aaron Swartz will be missed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had heard details of this case a while back, but had not heard anything recently until today.  The name Aaron Swartz did not "ring a bell" initially until I saw the pictures.  Then it hit me ... they were prosecuting this guy for downloading too much FREE information ???

And now he's dead?

WTF???

{more details on the case are available in later links}

This case hits close to home.  Too close.  

You would understand how I feel about this if you ever had found yourself, on at least two occasions, in the right place at the right time ... when someone close to you was facing the type of emotional demons that Aaron was facing.  When, if you had not been there at that time to hug that loved one as hard as you could for as long as you could, until another loved one arrived to also offer help, they might have met the same fate as Aaron ...

Some of the linked articles mention Aaron's battles with depression.  Considering the height of his achievements in his short life and the lows of his depression, it appears that he may have been bi-polar.  Some of the comments in the pages of the linked articles from readers familiar with the illness indicate they also feel that way.  

From the highest of highs to the lowest of lows, the bi-polar form of depression is tough for the sufferer and those around them to deal with if untreated.  Even if the illness is being treated, there can be moments when someone just has to be there for them to lean on.  And there is a tendency for the sufferer to think, when they are on the up-side of the cycle, that they don't need to take the pills.  Whatever side effects the pills come with are seen as annoying, something they can do without, so they may stop taking the pills, or may stop the counseling ... without the knowledge, until maybe it is too late, of those around them.

R.I.P. Aaron Swartz.

Comments

miksilvr
1/12/13 -  Rick Perlstein of

1/12/13 - 

Rick Perlstein of The Nation magazine writes about the loss of his friend.

Remembering Aaron Swartz

1/13/13 - 

POSTSCRIPT: AARON SWARTZ (1986-2013)

Aaron Swartz’ Alleged Victim ‘Regretted’ Being Drawn Into Hacking Case

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
JSTAR dropped the charges but

JSTAR dropped the charges but MIT wouldn't. Like a pit bull they had a prosecutor making a name for themselves with a high profile case. MIT and the prosecuting attorney were exhibiting the excessive  violence  so often on display in our country. But don't touch the banks.

The material was from a peer reviewed journal and Swartz being big on open source thought there may be material that could do good buy might be buried by monied interests.

There is one Professor that was a mentor to Swartz really upset. He wrote the prosecutor should talk to other professors about the inflated value he assigned to the work that was  never forwarded to anybody.

miksilvr
1/12/13 -  “Aaron built

1/12/13 - 

“Aaron built surprising new things that changed the flow of information around the world,” said Susan Crawford, a professor at the Cardozo School of Law in New York who served in the Obama administration as a technology adviser. She called Mr. Swartz “a complicated prodigy” and said “graybeards approached him with awe.”

Internet Activist, a Creator of RSS, Is Dead at 26, Apparently a Suicide

The end of this article from CNN contains some of Aaron's writings about depression:

"There is a moment, immediately before life becomes no longer worth living, when the world appears to slow down and all its myriad details suddenly become brightly, achingly apparent," he wrote in a 2007 post titled "A Moment Before Dying."

Internet prodigy, activist Aaron Swartz commits suicide

miksilvr
1/13/13 - from

1/13/13 - from Slate.com: 

JSTOR made its peace with Swartz in June 2011 and just last week expanded its online Register & Read program, making more information available for free. But prosecutors pushed on for decades of prison time for the 26-year-old activist—adding nine new felony charges in September and scheduling his trial for April 1. Now he is dead, but the ideas he cared about aren't.

Will Aaron Swartz’s Suicide Make the Open-Access Movement Mainstream?

The Brilliant Life and Tragic Death of Aaron Swartz

Scappoose
Scappoose's picture
Adam Swartz one of the open

Adam Swartz one of the open source internet kings is forced into bankruptcy and finally suicide by an over zelous government and the freak John McAfee remains free, alive and well now setting up shop in Portland.

The forces of darkness win another battle. Let this serve as a lesson to those who would stop the next SOPA law - and what you may possibly face by taking on the great US puppet government and the corporations behind the scenes manipulating the puppet strings.

As Glen Greewald writes - "Whatever else is true, Swartz was destroyed by a "justice" system that fully protects the most egregious criminals as long as they are members of or useful to the nation's most powerful factions, but punishes with incomparable mercilessness and harshness those who lack power and, most of all, those who challenge power."

miksilvr
1/14/13 -  Anonymous hacks

1/14/13 - 

Anonymous hacks MIT after Aaron Swartz's suicide

DowntheMiddle
So he was suffering from

So he was suffering from depression and possible bi-polar disorder which was diagnosed before his self inflicted legal troubles came about and somehow, it's everyone elses fault?

Don't get me wrong, it's tragic that such a brilliant young man decided to take his own life, but come on. It was his decision to do the things he did, including taking his own life.

miksilvr
Aaron Swartz DID NOT choose

Aaron Swartz DID NOT choose to take his own life ... the depression did !

There is a difference.

Read the writing samples from Aaron Swartz included in the CNN article above, and other samples that are available.

I saw the same type of thing happen to a brilliant friend or two back in my teens.  The same illness that can spur them to do amazing things with their mind on the up side can rip their minds and bodies to shreds on the down side.  

If you have never been there to hold onto someone at the lowest of lows of depression and held on until you could get more help, you don't know what the hell you are talking about!

norske
norske's picture
miksilvr wrote: Aaron Swartz

miksilvr wrote:

Perhaps... perhaps not. Sometimes suicide can be a rational act. I find many of the euolgies written by his "friends" and "associates" to be sickening myself. Almost as sickening as not thinking that the abusive, punishing and wrongful prosecution is not responsible in some way...

Probably something wrong in a nation where the criminals on Wall Street are not only not prosecuted, but are rewarded with $TRILLIONS, where politican war criminals brag about torture on national TV and go on national book tours, where numerous other war criminals are not prosecuted, where banks who laundered money for drug cartels and terrorist organizations are not prosecuted. where the President continues with war crimes and crimes against humanity... but where a brilliant young person such as Aaron Swartz is prosecuted and forced into bankruptcy facing up to 50 years in prison... for what?

miksilvr
This afternoon Thom played a

This afternoon Thom played a clip from the radio show of a conversation he had with Aaron Swartz on an earlier show.  Wow, I heard that show, and at least one or two others when he called in or was a guest.  I did not remember those until Thom played the tape ... I recognized Aaron's voice. 

here is a link for a transcript of one of those calls:

Transcript: Thom Hartmann talks to Aaron Swartz about the Arkansas primary runoff and progressives vs. conservadems. 07 Jun '10.

tayl44
tayl44's picture
Mr.Aaron Swartz, may you

Mr.Aaron Swartz, may you R.I.P. and the people who cause you problems, may they never rest!

miksilvr
from the youtube page

from the youtube page below:

Published on Apr 30, 2012

Despite a massive public outcry that defeated SOPA and PIPA, a new, similar bill is being proposed called SISPA. Aaron Swartz joins the Thom Hartmann Program to talk about the new bill. Instead of the entertainment industry, this new bill comes from the pentagon. The bill allows the government to not only censor the internet, but spy on the internet.

Aaron Swartz - Thom Hartmann - SISPA - YouTube

DowntheMiddle
miksilvr wrote: Aaron Swartz

miksilvr wrote:

There is a difference.

Read the writing samples from Aaron Swartz included in the CNN article above, and other samples that are available.

I saw the same type of thing happen to a brilliant friend or two back in my teens.  The same illness that can spur them to do amazing things with their mind on the up side can rip their minds and bodies to shreds on the down side.  

If you have never been there to hold onto someone at the lowest of lows of depression and held on until you could get more help, you don't know what the hell you are talking about!

Then I'm sorry, but by that logic, Adam Lanza didn't kill those children, his mental illness did.

Look, I completely understand about depression and other issues, more than you'll probably ever know (I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest). It's a horrible battle that is often day to day and sometimes, minute to minute, but don't start screaming at me because you think I don't understand.

The guy had the resources to receive the help he needed, what sounds like a wonderful family and partner for a support network and yet he still made that decision on his own.

I had a soldier who, after getting back from his 3rd deployment, lost his mother and his sister within 6 months in two seperate car accidents. This young kid dealt with more than most people will ever experience in a life time. I'm not even going to get into the stresses of coming home from combat. The kid pushed through, came close to giving up and kept pushing through. In the end, all he asked for was a transfer to be closer to his father. He transferred out west and is still doing well.

I have many friends who handled it fine, many who didn't and many who just have to deal with it day to day, so please don't scream at me about how I don't know unless I've been there.

Everyone is blaming those pursuing legal action against him for his demise, and I stand by the fact that it was HIS decision. Yes, outside circumstances certainly can add unneeded stress to the battle, but in the end, there is only one person responsible.

I don't want to trample on the kid's grave. I just don't think it's fair to blame others for his death considering the circumstances.

RIP young man.

Karolina
Karolina's picture
DowntheMiddle wrote:Then I'm

DowntheMiddle wrote:
Then I'm sorry, but by that logic, Adam Lanza didn't kill those children, his mental illness did.

BINGO! 

As far as Aaron is concerned — anyone intelligent enough to understand the totalitarian evil and injustice that we are up at war against, has to also be actively fighting against being pulled into the depression that is the enemy's "noisome pestilence" that "walketh in darkness". Even trying to fight it doesn't necessarily mean that one stands a chance, sometimes.

Not seeing this is spelled — denial.

miksilvr
DowntheMiddle wrote: miksilvr

DowntheMiddle wrote:

miksilvr wrote:

There is a difference.

Look, I completely understand about depression and other issues ...

No, it's goddamn OBVIOUS that you DON'T !!! 

If you did, you would not have just insulted everyone suffering from depression who is also NOT a homicidal schizophrenic paranoid (or whatever the clinical diagnosis is of these killers) SOB like the killers at Virginia Tech, Tucson, Oak Creek, Newtown, or at the twin slaughters in Norway back in 2011.   

Not all depressed people suffer from an additional mental illness that drives them to attack others in the process of killing themselves.

Damn, i still can't believe you wrote that!!

I'm sure everyone who read that B.S. who suffers from depression or has had the experience that I have had of comforting a severely depressed person who was on the verge of suicide is waiting for your apology.

DowntheMiddle wrote:

I don't want to trample on the kid's grave. I just don't think it's fair to blame others for his death considering the circumstances.

To damn late!

You just did with your above comparison.

And yes, it is fair and right to blame over zealous federal judges for pursing charges that the "victims" in the case did not sanction that lead to someone killing themselves.

By your ridiculous logic you just excused the IRS from the guilt for every suicide by someone hounded by the IRS to the point of financial ruin and bankruptcy.  There is a big difference between someone who intentionally cheats on their taxes and those who took bad advice from their tax advisor or accountant, or made a mistake themselves. 

miksilvr
10/14/13 -  Two segments on

10/14/13 - 

Two segments on the Democracy Now show about Aaron Swartz:

Today we remember the pioneering computer programmer and cyber activist Aaron Swartz, who took his own life Friday at the age of 26. As a teenager, Swartz helped develop RSS, revolutionizing how people use the Internet, going on to co-own Reddit, now one of the world’s most popular sites. He was also a key architect of Creative Commons and an organizer of the grassroots movement to defeat the controversial House Internet censorship bill, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), and the Senate bill, the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA). Swartz hanged himself just weeks before the start of a controversial trial. He was facing up to 35 years in prison for sneaking into the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and downloading millions of articles provided by the subscription-based academic research service JSTOR. We hear Swartz in his own words and speak to Harvard Law School Professor Lawrence Lessig, a longtime mentor and friend. "There are a thousand things we could have done, a thousand things we could have done, and we have to do, because Aaron Swartz is now an icon, an ideal," Lessig says. "He is what we will be fighting for, all of us, for the rest of our lives." Lessig also echoes the claims of Swartz’s parents that decisions made by prosecutors and MIT contributed to his death, saying: "This was somebody who was pushed to the edge by what I think of as a kind of bullying by our government." [includes rush transcript]

"An Incredible Soul": Larry Lessig Remembers Aaron Swartz After Cyberactivist’s Suicide Before Trial; Parents Blame Prosecutor

Cyber activist and computer programmer Aaron Swartz took his life on Friday at the age of 26. We air an address of Swartz’s from last May where he speaks about the battle to defeat the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA — a campaign he helped lead. "[SOPA] will have yet another name, and maybe a different excuse, and probably do its damage in a different way. But make no mistake: The enemies of the freedom to connect have not disappeared," Swartz said. "Next time they might just win. Let’s not let that happen." [includes rush transcript]

Freedom to Connect: Aaron Swartz (1986-2013) on Victory to Save Open Internet, Fight Online Censors

miksilvr
Remember Aaron

Remember Aaron Swartz

Official obituary and funeral notice

DowntheMiddle
miksilvr wrote: DowntheMiddle

miksilvr wrote:

DowntheMiddle wrote:

miksilvr wrote:

There is a difference.

Look, I completely understand about depression and other issues ...

No, it's goddamn OBVIOUS that you DON'T !!!

You need to take a step back.

Quote:
If you did, you would not have just insulted everyone suffering from depression who is also NOT a homicidal schizophrenic paranoid (or whatever the clinical diagnosis is of these killers) SOB like the killers at Virginia Tech, Tucson, Oak Creek, Newtown, or at the twin slaughters in Norway back in 2011.

Bullshit. I didn't say Adam Lanza, or any other mass murderer, was suffering from depression. If you stop letting your emotions cloud your logic, you'd realize that. I said his "MENTAL ILLNESS". To do something of that magnitude, you have to be severely wired wrong.

I didn't insult anyone. You said Aarron didn't kill himself, his depression did. I said, by that logic, Lanza's mental illness (whatever it was) killed those children.

Quote:
Not all depressed people suffer from an additional mental illness that drives them to attack others in the process of killing themselves.

Nowhere, at no time, did I say depressed people do.

Quote:
Damn, i still can't believe you wrote that!!

That's probably because I didn't.

Quote:
I'm sure everyone who read that B.S. who suffers from depression or has had the experience that I have had of comforting a severely depressed person who was on the verge of suicide is waiting for your apology.

No, actually I'm sure they were intelligent enough to comprehend my statement.

miksilvr wrote:

DowntheMiddle wrote:

To damn late!

You just did with your above comparison.

Again, no I didn't. You simply freaked out and read it as you wanted to. I never once compared depressed people with psychopathic killers. The only comparison I made is that if depression killed Aaron, then by the same logic, Lanza's mental illness killed those children.

miksilvr wrote:

And yes, it is fair and right to blame over zealous federal judges for pursing charges that the "victims" in the case did not sanction that lead to someone killing themselves.

By your ridiculous logic you just excused the IRS from the guilt for every suicide by someone hounded by the IRS to the point of financial ruin and bankruptcy.  There is a big difference between someone who intentionally cheats on their taxes and those who took bad advice from their tax advisor or accountant, or made a mistake themselves. 

Bullshit.

Ok, so now we're talking about the IRS forcing people to commit suicide? How exactly? Were these people depressed or did they just have financial troubles?

So in your book, if someone screws up their finances and makes "mistakes themselves" and the IRS pursues them, then its the IRS's fault that the individual killed themselves?

By your logic.........ya know what? You aren't using logic. You're using emotionally compromised nonsense. You're not comprehending anything.

It's absurd to alleviate the individual of any responsibility and blame everyone else. I understand that people get screwed sometimes, but most pick themselves up and fight through it. Those who don't, made that decision themselves.

miksilvr
Aaron Swartz -

Aaron Swartz - Wikipedia

1/13/13 -

Aaron Swartz obituary

1/14/13 -

"It pains me to think that MIT played any role in a series of events that have ended in tragedy," MIT President L. Rafael Reif said in a statement. "Now is a time for everyone involved to reflect on their actions, and that includes all of us at MIT."

Aaron Swartz' Death Fuels MIT Probe, White House Petition to Oust Prosecutor

1/15/13 -

Swartz faced tough U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz and her assistant Stephen Heymann, who rejected any deal that did not involve a prison sentence—which may have helped drive the cyber programmer to despair.

Aaron Swartz’s Unbending Prosecutors Insisted on Prison Time

With his contributions to RSS coding and the Web application framework, Swartz made some of today's more expansive Internet possible.

But what Swartz also helped create was a philosophy of the Internet, one that remains the subject of great controversy almost 20 years into its life: the libertarian idea that information wants to be free.

How Aaron Swartz helped build the Internet

miksilvr
Too late. I made my points,

Too late.

I made my points, and i'm sticking with them.

Just glancing through your rant tells me that you still don't get it ... waste of my time going any further with you on this topic.

Yes, you do owe apologies to the people who suffer from depression, their families, and Aaron's family as well, and people in addition to me that were insulted by your comments.

Enough !!!

Scappoose
Scappoose's picture
I think we are missing the

I think we are missing the point here - 

Governmental Thuggery and governmental over reach is the true criminal here - these gov thugs know how to psuh and destroy hope and drive one to the point where Aaron Swartz was driven. 

Mental illness may have played a part but governmental thuggery pushed this genius past the point of no return.

The thugs probably hope bradley Manning would simply go the Swartz way also.

And these are Democratic Party thugs.

The More Effective Evil wins again. Drones or political prosecution the Oilybomber wins again.

miksilvr
a related post on the message

a related post on the message board from Karolina:

from Demand Progress: Aaron

from the Demand Progress page:

A handful of the myriad tributes to Aaron:

Cory Doctorow

Glenn Greenwald

Lawrence Lessig

Quinn Norton

Karolina
Karolina's picture
Thanks Miksilvr. I was going

Thanks Miksilvr. I was going to add the letter from Demand Progress onto your thread, and then thought — just in case someone reading here is not yet aware of Demand Progress' work, now would be the time to help them get as many fans, members, and contributors as possible in any way possible. Hence the titled post.

The people at Demand Progress are no doubt, still reeling from their loss, but I hope that they will be continuing their work full-stream-ahead with the memory of Aarron Swartz' genius in their minds, for the last of their lives. I believe that they will. 

miksilvr
1/14/13 -  live blog

1/14/13 - 

live blog from louisehartmann :

Internet trailblazer and activist Aaron Swartz is dead at age 26

miksilvr
1/15/13 -  Why the Net

1/15/13 - 

Why the Net grieves Aaron Swartz

DowntheMiddle
miksilvr wrote: Too late. I

miksilvr wrote:

Too late.

I made my points, and i'm sticking with them.

Just glancing through your rant tells me that you still don't get it ... waste of my time going any further with you on this topic.

Yes, you do owe apologies to the people who suffer from depression, their families, and Aaron's family as well, and people in addition to me that were insulted by your comments.

Enough !!!

The only one ranting here is you.

I didn't insult anyone with depression, as I know many people who suffer from it and some that have suffered much more than Aaron did. People in my own family have dealt with it as well.

Nowhere, at no time, did I insult or insinuate that anyone suffering from depression was a psychopath killer. YOU SAID THAT I said that, yet, my unedited comments above don't say anything of the sort and any reasonable person can see that.

I think the kid was brilliant and I think it's tragic, I was simply applying your logic to other scenarios.

All you are basically saying is that if someone gets in trouble, then the law or the IRS or whoever should leave them alone if they are depressed. That's ridiculous.

I completely agree that the charges against him were ridiculous. It was overkill, for lack of a better phrase, but you can't apparently keep your emotions in check long enough to actually see the reality of what I was saying. For you to accuse me of insulting anyone with depression and saying I owe all of them an apology is pathetic.

I've had to sit there with soldiers and others through nights that most normal everyday people could never imagine. I've seen depression tear people down to the point where they couldn't even leave their bedroom, let alone, their home. I've seen the worst of what it can do to people and NOWHERE AND AT NO TIME DID I SAY ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT YOU ARE ACCUSING ME OF.

You are the one who owes me an apology, but don't worry, I won't expect it nor will I demand it from you because I know you'll just stick to your sickening baseless claims that I compared Aaron to that psychopath child killer, which we both know...never took place.

miksilvr
1/15/13 -  Internet Activist

1/15/13 - 

Internet Activist Aaron Swartz’ Prosecutor Linked To Another Hacker’s Death

Read the full article

miksilvr
1/14/13 -  MIT, one of the

1/14/13 - 

MIT, one of the nation’s most prominent and respected universities, has come under criticism for its handling of the Swartz affair. In July 2011, JSTOR said it would drop any civil claims against Swartz. According to Lawrence Lessig, who runs Harvard University’s Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics, where Swartz was a fellow in 2011, MIT fell short by not following JSTOR’s lead

Aaron Swartz’s Suicide Prompts MIT Soul-Searching

1/16/13 - 

As Swartz’s friends were grieving in Chicago, several Capitol Hill lawmakers expressed sadness, shock and confusion over his death. One prominent U.S. lawmaker, Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), said she would introduce reforms to change the federal law at the heart of the case.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) said he has opened an investigation of the Justice Department’s case against Aaron Swartz, according to HuffPost. “I’m not condoning his hacking, but he’s certainly someone who worked very hard,” Issa told the news website.

“Had he been a journalist and taken that same material that he gained from MIT, he would have been praised for it. It would have been like the Pentagon Papers.” (Not exactly: The Pentagon Papers were classified federal government documents. Swartz was accused of accessing scholarly articles on a university network.)

Aaron Swartz’s Suicide Triggers Response from Top U.S. Lawmakers

miksilvr
1/14/13 -  If Swartz had

1/14/13 - 

If Swartz had lived to be convicted of the charges against him, he faced 50 years or more in a federal prison.

To put these charges in perspective, here are ten examples of federal crimes that carry lesser prison sentences than Swartz’ alleged crime of downloading academic articles in an effort to make knowledge widely available to the public:

- Manslaughter

- Bank Robbery

- Selling Child Pornography

- Knowingly Spreading AIDS

- Selling Slaves

- Genocidal Eugenics

- Helping al-Qaeda Develop A Nuclear Weapon

- Violence At International Airports

- Threatening The President

- Assaulting A Supreme Court Justice

Aaron Swartz Faced A More Severe Prison Term Than Killers, Slave Dealers And Bank Robbers

captbebops
captbebops's picture
It is time to call into

It is time to call into question some of our absurd content protection laws in this country.  If Arron had murdered somebody he would have gotten far less than 35 years.  Much of this absurdity is the result of narcissistic and stupid media company executives, particularly the folks at Disney who have so screwed up our copyright laws just so they could keep reselling their 1930s cartoons to new generations.

For that alone I would love to see this country fall so we can sweep it's laws, many of them ridiculous, into the garbage can of history and start anew.

miksilvr
1/15/13 -  The Death of Aaron

1/15/13 - 

The Death of Aaron Swartz

miksilvr
The case of Aaron Swartz was

The case of Aaron Swartz was the subject of a few segments with the panel on today's Up with Chris Hayes.  The discussion went beyond the immediate scope of the Swartz case to points about the governments handling of internet access and copyrights in court cases and in legislation that has been proposed in the past such as SOPA.      

Aaron Swartz’ partner: ‘This should be a wakeup call to our country’

The legacy of Aaron Swartz

Why hackers freak out those in power

stuff
stuff's picture
Nobody else will say it, so I

Nobody else will say it, so I guess I will.

The guy was a thief.

polycarp2
Sort of like going into your

Sort of like going into your house, copying a book, and putting your book back on your shelf. 35 years in prison?

Maybe we'll go back to hanging people for stealing a loaf of bread.

I sort of agree with him. Academic information should be public...not sold by subscription. M.I.T., like most institutions of higher learning, receives government grants. We paid for the research and academic papers they are peddling...so just who is the thief? M.I.T. or Swartz?

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

stuff
stuff's picture
Quote:Sort of like going into

Quote:
Sort of like going into your house, copying a book, and putting your book back on your shelf. 35 years in prison?

Going into my house without my permission is breaking and entering. Moreover, merely owning a book does not give the owner permission to violate the rights of the copyright holder.

The guy was a thief, plain and simple:

JSTOR wrote:
Terms and Conditions of Service and Content-Specific Terms and Conditions of Use

5. Prohibited Uses of the Content.
(c) attempt to override, circumvent, or disable any encryption features or software protections employed in the JSTOR Platform;
(d) undertake any activity such as computer programs that automatically download or export Content, commonly known as web robots, spiders, crawlers, wanderers or accelerators that may interfere with, disrupt or otherwise burden the JSTOR server(s) or any third-party server(s) being used or accessed in connection with JSTOR; or
(e) make any use, display, performance, reproduction, or distribution that exceeds or violates these Terms and Conditions of Service and the Content-Specific Terms and Conditions of Use.

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
A  guy is looking at a

A  guy is looking at a neighbor with the blinds open, is he stealing anything other than a glance? Does he have to pay that neighbor for performance art?

Libraries have a lot of copyrighted material open for the public to use for no fee. A lot of the researchers that did the work were forced to sign over copyrights for their work in an extortion scheme operated by a monopoly. The monopoly didn't want to press charges, they also are making the material available to anyone that wants it now, after Aaron's death. Aaron was right, Jastar acknowledges that implicitly by doing what Aaron didn't do because it was illegal, but wanted to because it was right.

Privacy is also an issue.

When you post a letter in the mail you can put your name on it as the sender but you're not required to. You can put your name inside the envelope so only the recipient can see who sent it, but you are not required to. It is against the law to open the letter to get information. Some of the contents may be from the library in a copied format containing information beneficial to the recipient that otherwise would not recieve or even know of if not for the sender. Does the person getting information that could be life saving deserve it? The information is being held from public knowledge because the copyright holder has a less effective product on the market that generates huge profits even though it kills some of the patients as outlined in the research paper. The recipient is taking the potentially lethal drug, and could get the successful non-lethal, less profitable drug if they ask for it, but they have to know what it is.

Aaron stole nothing. The US attorney is an abusive tool seeking political advancement. She is the crooked sheriff of Nottingham.

The law was written in 1985, is out of date, and vague. Aaron rejected a plea because you surrender the right to appeal. He didn't break the law and didn't want his case to set a precedent for future open source cases.

stuff
stuff's picture
Quote:Does the person getting

Quote:
Does the person getting information that could be life saving deserve it?

He wasn't trying to save anybody's life.

Theft is theft. What a copyright holder decides to do with her property is her business. Nobody has a right to steal other people's property. I guarantee you that this Board would not tolerate anybody copying and pasting Thom's copyrighted essays on their own webstie.

I don't want anybody steadling my property and I'm guessing that you wouldn't want anybody stealing your property, either. Am I right?

miksilvr
1/26/13 - Anonymous targets

1/26/13 - Anonymous targets the federal agency responsible for sentencing guidelines, in retaliation for the prosecution which drove Aaron Swartz to suicide.

Anonymous takes down US Sentencing Commission website

Anonymous Takes Over Sentencing Commission Website

from the ABC news link below:

Anonymous says Swartz was “killed because he was forced into playing a game he could not win — a twisted and distorted perversion of justice — a game where the only winning move was not to play.”

“There must be a return to proportionality of punishment with respect to actual harm caused,” it reads, also mentioning recent arrests of Anonymous associates by the FBI.

Anonymous Hijacks Federal Website, Threatens DOJ Document Dump

Anonymous threatens Justice Department over hacktivist death

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
They can't catch credit card

They can't catch credit card and idenity thieves but the minute a social justice hacker pops up all their resources focus like a laser. MLK was targeted, M X was too. They spent a fortune on the Kingsmen rendition of Louie Louie but can't catch bankers laundering money for drug cartels.

The copyright holders did not consider it a crime. Tha'ts why they didn't press charges. If an owner says nothing was stolen how was it a crime? Appearance of a crime is not a crime if the person was not attempting to deceive. Restaurants don't press charges against dumpster divers either. Hotels let you keep the bar of soap you used, too.

You can be charged if you post a family video of a birthday party and the family sings more than 12 seconds of  the song 'Happy Birthday to you'  however if you sing Happy, happy, happy, happy happy birthday TOyou. Aaron wasn't sharing, selling, or dispersing.

If a chemist can break down the recipe for a prescription, it's not stealing.

Selling knockoffs to someone seeking knockoffs is not wrong either, you both know they are not real. If the buyer of a knockoff sells it as real it is fraud. Goldman Sachs selling funds designed to fail is fraud.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a kiwi.

stuff
stuff's picture
Social justice? The guy was a

Social justice? The guy was a thief!

norske
norske's picture
stuff wrote: Social justice?

stuff wrote:

Social justice? The guy was a thief!

Do you ever tire of acting trollish?

DdC
DdC's picture
Quote:Then I'm sorry, but by

Quote:
Then I'm sorry, but by that logic, Asshole didn't kill those children, his mental illness did.

You live under a rock middleman? Oh you do, sorry, I meant it figuratively. It was the guns stupid. Small penis and a redneck mama whining about it. Gets ya some balls boy, pick up that rifle, pick it up boy. You pussy.; Wez goin to the range shootin later and I don won no whinin, cher? Lil pansy readin dem books all da time. Geeeeeeeeeezus boy, be a man. Stroke that rifle butt, caress it son. You ain't never been with a woman has ya boy? This'll make up fer it. Go kill sompin, make ya blood flow. Get all tingly. I member my foist kill. Oewee gholly. Boy, ain't I never tolds ya not to point a loaded wepn unlessin ya aims to kill it. Damn it boy, you hearin me? Bye moma... I'm gonna go be all that I can be...

Just because Ronnie Reagan was Gay and had ramped sweaty sex wth Georgie Junior doesn't mean he didn't worship guns and leather and whips. Rawhide!

Just too many convenient suicides now a-days...
Does anyone have the schedule when A's is gonna hit the NRA?
They took down Monsanto's trolls and Gun Inc is far more obnoxious.

stuff
stuff's picture
Quote:Do you ever tire of

Quote:
Do you ever tire of acting trollish?

Calling me a troll really doesn't advance the discussion.

The guy either was or was not a thief. I well know how little private property rights are appreciated on this Board, but those rights belong to all of us, even you, I'd wager.

polycarp2
Just exactly who was harmed

Just exactly who was harmed by the so-called theft...of property he paid for with his taxes? No one.

M.I.T. grant money isn't conjured out of thin air by M.I.T. Probably the greater thief is M.I.T. Any research and scholarly work financed by the public should be owned by the public.

Ditto pharmaceuticals. Giving them patents on government researched medicines so they can charge $300 for a $1 pill is stupid. Throw 'em in jail for extortion.

Go after the real criminals in this country. Corporate and bankster sleeze-balls. Dump the laws that protect their fannies.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

stuff
stuff's picture
Quote:Just exactly who was

Quote:
Just exactly who was harmed by the so-called theft...of property he paid for with his taxes? No one.

The copyright owners.

Quote:
M.I.T. grant money isn't conjured out of thin air by M.I.T. Probably the greater thief is M.I.T. Any research and scholarly work financed by the public should be owned by the public.

Works for hire are owned by the hiring institutions (e.g., patents). Copyrighted works are the property of the authors.

Quote:
Ditto pharmaceuticals. Giving them patents on government researched medicines so they can charge $300 for a $1 pill is stupid. Throw 'em in jail for extortion.

This is off-topic. The guy wasn't stealing drugs.

Quote:
Go after the real criminals in this country. Corporate and bankster sleeze-balls. Dump the laws that protect their fannies.

Are you referring to the employers who allegedly would share the windfall earnings of their protected industries with their employees?

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Hey stuff, how many

Hey stuff, how many copyrights do you hold?   More likely the MIT archive wanted money to subscribe to pay for their server not for the actual documents.  We see that a lot these days.  Like on YouTube where they try to get you to put ads on your videos.  If you don't they probably won't recommend it to anyone.  I have a bunch of videos on my channel but I don't really want ads on my political videos but might see what happens with my entertainment videos with ads.  And some of the videos I have made available under the Creative Commons license so that people can use elements of them in their own videos including some of my own composed and performed background music.

stuff
stuff's picture
Quote:Hey stuff, how many

Quote:
Hey stuff, how many copyrights do you hold?

None. But I do own a home and a car and I wouldn't want anybody stealing those.

I wonder how many copyrights our Host owns? I wonder if this site is copyrighted? I wonder how our Host would feel if somebody stole his copyrighted works? I wonder if anybody has asked him?

Frequent callers, here's your chance.

DdC
DdC's picture
Anonymous Launches Operation

Anonymous Launches Operation Last Resort

In response to the Feds overzealous prosecution of hactivist Aaron Swarz, the hacker group Anonymous has launched "Operation Last Resort". They have taken over the server used by the US Sentencing Commission and stolen the encrypted files. The files have been distributed to mirrors and hold the encryption keys and they are going to release the files if the US Government doesn't respond to their demands for legal reforms.

Anonymous is accusing the government of "bullying" using outdated laws resulting in Aaron Swarz's suicide (some call it murder). Read more here:

Here's the full transcript from Anonymous,
it's a good read!

Citizens of the world,

Anonymous has observed for some time now the trajectory of justice in the United States with growing concern. We have marked the departure of this system from the noble ideals in which it was born and enshrined. We have seen the erosion of due process, the dilution of constitutional rights, the usurpation of the rightful authority of courts by the “discretion” of prosecutors. We have seen how the law is wielded less and less to uphold justice, and more and more to exercise control, authority and power in the interests of oppression or personal gain.

We have been watching, and waiting.

Two weeks ago today, a line was crossed. Two weeks ago today, Aaron Swartz was killed. Killed because he faced an impossible choice. Killed because he was forced into playing a game he could not win — a twisted and distorted perversion of justice — a game where the only winning move was not to play.

Anonymous immediately convened an emergency council to discuss our response to this tragedy. After much heavy-hearted discussion, the decision was upheld to engage the United States Department of Justice and its associated executive branches in a game of a similar nature, a game in which the only winning move is not to play.

Last year the Federal Bureau of Investigation revelled in porcine glee at its successful infiltration of certain elements of Anonymous. This infiltration was achieved through the use of the *same tactics which lead to Aaron Swartz’ death. It would not have been possible were it not for the power of federal prosecutors to thoroughly destroy the lives of any hacktivists they apprehend through the very real threat of highly disproportionate sentencing.

As a result of the FBI’s infiltration and entrapment tactics, several more of our brethren now face similar disproportionate persecution, the balance of their lives hanging on the severely skewed scales of a broken justice system.

We have felt within our hearts a burning rage in reaction to these events, but we have not allowed ourselves to be drawn into a foolish and premature response. We have bidden our time, operating in the shadows, adapting our tactics and honing our abilities. We have allowed the FBI and its masters in government — both the puppet and the shadow government that controls it — to believe they had struck a crippling blow to our infrastructure, that they had demoralized us, paralyzed us with paranoia and fear. We have held our tongue and waited.

With Aaron’s death we can wait no longer. The time has come to show the United States Department of Justice and its affiliates the true meaning of infiltration. The time has come to give this system a taste of its own medicine. The time has come for them to feel the helplessness and fear that comes with being forced into a game where the odds are stacked against them.

This website was chosen due to the symbolic nature of its purpose — the federal sentencing guidelines which enable prosecutors to cheat citizens of their constitutionally-guaranteed right to a fair trial, by a jury of their peers — the federal sentencing guidelines which are in clear violation of the 8th amendment protection against cruel and unusual punishments. This website was also chosen due to the nature of its visitors. It is far from the only government asset we control, and we have exercised such control for quite some time…

There has been a lot of fuss recently in the technological media regarding such operations as Red October, the widespread use of vulnerable browsers and the availability of zero-day exploits for these browsers and their plugins. None of this comes of course as any surprise to us, but it is perhaps good that those within the information security industry are making the extent of these threats more widely understood.

Still there is nothing quite as educational as a well-conducted demonstration…

Through this websites and various others that will remain unnamed, we have been conducting our own infiltration. We did not restrict ourselves like the FBI to one high-profile compromise. We are far more ambitious, and far more capable. Over the last two weeks we have wound down this operation, removed all traces of leakware from the compromised systems, and taken down the injection apparatus used to detect and exploit vulnerable machines.

We have enough fissile material for multiple warheads. Today we are launching the first of these. Operation Last Resort has begun…

Warhead – U S – D O J – L E A – 2013 . A E E 256 is primed and armed. It has been quietly distributed to numerous mirrors over the last few days and is available for download from this website now. We encourage all Anonymous to syndicate this file as widely as possible.

The contents are various and we won’t ruin the speculation by revealing them. Suffice it to say, everyone has secrets, and some things are not meant to be public. At a regular interval commencing today, we will choose one media outlet and supply them with heavily redacted partial contents of the file. Any media outlets wishing to be eligible for this program must include within their reporting a means of secure communications.

We have not taken this action lightly, nor without consideration of the possible consequences. Should we be forced to reveal the trigger-key to this warhead, we understand that there will be collateral damage. We appreciate that many who work within the justice system believe in those principles that it has lost, corrupted, or abandoned, that they do not bear the full responsibility for the damages caused by their occupation.

It is our hope that this warhead need never be detonated.

However, in order for there to be a peaceful resolution to this crisis, certain things need to happen. There must be reform of outdated and poorly-envisioned legislation, written to be so broadly applied as to make a felony crime out of violation of terms of service, creating in effect vast swathes of crimes, and allowing for selective punishment. There must be reform of mandatory minimum sentencing. There must be a return to proportionality of punishment with respect to actual harm caused, and consideration of motive and mens rea. The inalienable right to a presumption of innocence and the recourse to trial and possibility of exoneration must be returned to its sacred status, and not gambled away by pre-trial bargaining in the face of overwhelming sentences, unaffordable justice and disfavourable odds. Laws must be upheld unselectively, and not used as a weapon of government to make examples of those it deems threatening to its power.

For good reason the statue of lady justice is blindfolded. No more should her innocence be besmirked, her scales tipped, nor her swordhand guided. Furthermore there must be a solemn commitment to freedom of the internet, this last great common space of humanity, and to the common ownership of information to further the common good.

We make this statement do not expect to be negotiated with; we do not desire to be negotiated with. We understand that due to the actions we take we exclude ourselves from the system within which solutions are found. There are others who serve that purpose, people far more respectable than us, people whose voices emerge from the light, and not the shadows. These voices are already making clear the reforms that have been necessary for some time, and are outright required now.

It is these people that the justice system, the government, and law enforcement must engage with. Their voices are already ringing strong with a chorus of determined resolution. We demand only that this chorus is not ignored. We demand the government does not make the mistake of hoping that time will dampen its ringing, that they can ride out this wave of determination, that business as usual can continue after a sufficient period of lip-service and back-patting.

Not this time. This time there will be change, or there will be chaos…
-Anonymous

Skip wrote:
To give you an idea of how fucked up this system is, take the case of Eddy Lepp. He was singled out by the Feds due to his rising profile in the Cannabis Movement.

They offered him a plea deal for growing a big crop of marijuana, and he refused. He wanted to defend himself using medical marijuana laws passed in California, but the Federal court refused to let him even bring it up. He tried to use the religious defense as he had a ministry with hundreds of people many of whom helped with the grow (Eddy took the rap for everyone involved). But again, he could not use the religious defense as had native Americans with peyote.

Now he rots in jail, serving a 10 year sentence. He harmed nobody and helped many.

That is how the system works, just as described by Anonymous...

FREE EDDY LEPP

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
Unlocking your cell phones is

Unlocking your cell phones is OK, too. Jailbreak your I-phone or just use Android open source, it's alright inspite of what trolls say. You can tear off the tag on your mattress  too, it is not punishable by law as it says on the tag, it is your mattress. By jailbreaking your I-phone you can download software that is incompatible with OS, and open source means more freedom for you, even if it means less money for Apple [poor baby, maybe stuff will sing you a lullabye]

Zuckerberg supports hackers, hackers just fix things and make them better, especially for the consumer. Corporations abuse copyright law and assert copyright  protection when none exists. Paying a full time litigation team for illegitimate suits is similar to mafia's protection racket.

miksilvr
1/12/13 -  from the linked

1/12/13 - 

from the linked article below:

7:27 PM PT: from radical simplicity:

From a cybercrime forensics expert who was going to testify on Adam's behalf:

http://unhandled.com/... "

7:45 PM PT: for anyone who thinks Aaron did anything illegal, it is incumbent upon you to read what is posted at the link radical simplicity shared. there is a lot of information in there which clears up a lot of the misinformation around what he did. most importantly, here is the summary:

In short, Aaron Swartz was not the super hacker breathlessly described in the Government’s indictment and forensic reports, and his actions did not pose a real danger to JSTOR, MIT or the public. He was an intelligent young man who found a loophole that would allow him to download a lot of documents quickly. This loophole was created intentionally by MIT and JSTOR, and was codified contractually in the piles of paperwork turned over during discovery.

If I had taken the stand as planned and had been asked by the prosecutor whether Aaron’s actions were “wrong”, I would probably have replied that what Aaron did would better be described as “inconsiderate”. In the same way it is inconsiderate to write a check at the supermarket while a dozen people queue up behind you or to check out every book at the library needed for a History 101 paper. It is inconsiderate to download lots of files on shared wifi or to spider Wikipedia too quickly, but none of these actions should lead to a young person being hounded for years and haunted by the possibility of a 35 year sentence.

Aaron Swartz' Death Is Our Legacy

the article quoted in the excerpt:

The Truth about Aaron Swartz’s “Crime”