House Ignores Hurricane Sandy Victims.

23 posts / 0 new

After giving billionaires a tax cut in the fiscal cliff deal, Republicans in the House went back on vacation without giving victims of Hurricane Sandy some much-needed relief. Last Tuesday night – Republicans in the House were supposed to vote on an aid package for victims of Sandy, but the legislation was inexplicably pulled at the last minute – meaning Republicans will wrap up this session of Congress without funding more disaster relief.

Republican Congressman Peter King called the decision to scrap the vote, “absolutely inexcusable, absolutely indefensible.” Democrats in the Senate already approved $60 billion in relief to those affected by the storm, and were waiting for Republicans in the House to do the same. But instead, Speaker of the House John Boehner told Republicans to go back on vacation.

Unless you have more than six zeros in your bank account, don’t even bother asking for help from today’s Republican Party.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

1/2/13 -

from one of Thom's chatters tonight:

Chris Christie Rips House GOP For Blocking Sandy Relief: ‘Shame On You’

VIDEO- Chris Christie: “There is only one group to blame: the House majority and their Speaker, John Boehner.”

miksilvr

1/2/13 -

From The Ed Show:

NJ Gov Chris Christie and US House members from both parties blast Boehner for not voting on the Sandy relief bill ...

Boehner puts Sandy relief on hold

and from The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell:

Gov. Christie takes on Boehner and Republican party over Sandy funding

more from MSNBC:

msnbc video

miksilvr

They'll be voting on the 4th and the 15th of January on the relief funds.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

1/3/13 -

NJ Gov. Christie blasts Boehner, Republicans

miksilvr

1/3/12 -

Hurricane Sandy Relief Bill: Boehner and House GOP Give Middle Finger to Victims

miksilvr

As Bushwaker stated, it will be voted on tomorrow with the new congress. There was absolutely enough pork in the current passed legislation for America to feed on for one day. Hollywood and Nascar need help like they need another a*****e.

As for Ed Schultz let's all remember.>>>>>>

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/gq-thinks-ed-schultz-is-one-of-the-l...

He would be the last person to list as credible.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

Anybody who thinks that the house votes on Sandy relief would have been scheduled for the 4th and 15th if there had not been so much negative publicity, which included Boehner being blasted on the floor by republican members of his own chamber and a republican governor on every news outlet he could get to, must still be wondering why Mittens is not polishing the shoes he wants to wear to his inaugural ball!

from 1/2/13: UPDATE 4:01 p.m. -- Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) announced on Wednesday that the House will hold two votes on Sandy relief aid, splitting the package into two parts. The first vote will be held on Friday on a $9 billion flood package. A second vote will be held on a $51 billion package on Jan. 15. The news came after House Speaker John Boehner met with concerned members of his caucus on Capitol Hill. King and Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.), who also attended the meeting, told reporters the speaker assured them that he was committed to assisting the victims of Hurricane Sandy.

Chris Christie On Sandy Aid: House Republicans Were 'Disappointing And Disgusting To Watch' (VIDEO)

miksilvr

You are a beauty. BTW you can start trolling and bashing Christie and Rubio as they are the current contenders for 2016. You only have four years and they are on totally opposite sides of the conservative spectrum. Will that give you any problems? Start digging.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

here is some insight into the opposition to the Sandy relief bill from Boehner and other republicans ... the puppet masters have spoken!

miksilvr

I have not seen the details on which senator attached the above mentioned "pork" items for Hollywood and NASCAR to the "fiscal curb" bill, but my guess is that it smells like one or both measures might have come from Red state senators.

Most NASCAR tracks I know of are located in Red states.

And these days, Hollywood tends to choose locations for filming that offer the lowest cost to them, which are often states with Right-to-work-for-less laws (ie Red states again!). The producers also choose states that offer tax breaks to the studios. Michigan and Indiana both passed tax credit legislation for studios this year ... what do they have in common?

IND. GOV'T. - "STATES’ FILM PRODUCTION INCENTIVES CAUSE JITTERS"

Don't forget, this was an extension of a Bush-era tax break, first passed in 2004 and extended in 2008, NOT a new piece of pork!

How does Hollywood manage to keep a $430 million tax break?

FISCAL CLIFF DEAL: HOLLYWOOD GETS TAX INCENTIVE EXTENSION

careful rw, make sure the safety is on before you draw!

miksilvr

Love the fact you are back to blaiming Bush. In fact, is he not the hero? Obama and the senate have defined wealth as a combined earnings of over $450,000. They have also embraced the Bush formula as permanent (no expiration date) with respect to tax brackets. What will be the new norm is a $449,999 income with all additional income going to capital gains or stock options at a future date. I opted to go Roth with my IRA and pay the one time 35% fee and call it a day. It is the fastest 4.5% I have ever made on my money. Hell, I even beat AL GORE to the punch. My non taxable retirement accounts have and will be gifted among family members through a trust, wife and my personal accounts. Soon I will be joining the ranks of the downtrodden and disenfranchised conservatives. See, we don't all care about having money.

Rubio or Christie? How can you trash them both if they are on opposite sides of the spectrum? Which one do you support?

Redwing's picture
Redwing

Love the fact you are back to blaiming Bush. In fact, is he not the hero? Obama and the senate have defined wealth as a combined earnings of over $450,000. They have also embraced the Bush formula as permanent (no expiration date) with respect to tax brackets. What will be the new norm is a $449,999 income with all additional income going to capital gains or stock options at a future date. I opted to go Roth with my IRA and pay the one time 35% fee and call it a day. It is the fastest 4.5% I have ever made on my money. Hell, I even beat AL GORE to the punch. My non taxable retirement accounts have, and will, be gifted among family members through a trust, my wife and my personal accounts. Soon I will be joining the ranks of the downtrodden and disenfranchised conservatives. See, we don't all care about having money.

Rubio or Christie? How can you trash them both if they are on opposite sides of the spectrum? Which one do you support?

Redwing's picture
Redwing

Tell Congress to pass disaster relief now

miksilvr

1/4/13 -

The house and senate today passed the first part of the Sandy relief package, which Boehner rushed to a vote only after the backlash from republican governor Christie of NJ, republican Rep Peter King of NY, and other republicans for failing to vote on the measure before the end of the 112th congress. Note, this first vote ONLY covers people who have federal flood insurance.

By getting petulant after perceiving that he got his butt whipped in the New Years fiscal cliff "negotiations", Boehner took his ball home so nobody could play. That move has added at least two more weeks to the already too long delay that people who do not have federal flood insurance must wait to get help.

Congress did not take this long to approve aid after Katrina or after Andrew or the other major disasters that hit this country. I doubt that you will find very many of the people who are now waiting two weeks or more longer for aid, whether they are families or businesses, who would try to defend Boehner's delaying tactics.

When King goes as far as telling people that they should think twice before contributing to some republican interests because of this, you know that these delays are hurting people unnecessarily.

from the link below:

The House and Senate today passed a bill approving more than $9 billion in aid for regions impacted by superstorm Sandy, the first of two Sandy relief measures making their way through Congress between now and the end of the month. ...

On January 15, the first full day of legislative business on Capitol Hill, House Speaker John Boehner is expected to bring up a vote for additional Sandy relief measures totaling the remaining $51 billion requested by President Obama.

Congress passes $9.7B Sandy relief bill

First Portion Of Sandy Relief Bill Passes

From Thursday :

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (R-NJ) stated at a press conference on Thursday that “There’s only one group to blame for the continued suffering of these innocent victims-the House majority and their speaker, John Boehner (R-Ohio).” The governor went on to further blast Republicans by stating that “we respond to natural disasters as not as Republicans or Democrats, but as Americans. Or at least we did until last night.”

From Friday :

“This is a small first step,” Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) said during a press conference following the Senate’s passage of the legislation. Schumer went on to add that he “was glad the House and Senate acted,” and that it was an “easy and effortless passage in the Senate.” He clarified that this bill doesn’t help those Sandy victims who do not have flood insurance.

First Portion Of Sandy Relief Bill Passes

miksilvr

More coffin nails for the redneck party...

The Republican hypocrites who voted against Sandy relief bill
Note that zombie-eyed granny-starver Paul Ryan voted against the bill. He's probably still pissed off about that whole election thing. Take that, blue state victims.

Take Rep. Mo Brooks, from Alabama, for example. Back in 2011, he even held town meetings to help tornado victims in his state to help his constituents "to better understand their federal assistance rights [...] direct grants that you do not have to repay if you qualify, unemployment compensation, rents as you try to find a new place to live."

Or maybe Rep. Paul Broun in Georgia, who applauded FEMA in 2009, and touted his office's work in helping constituents get that federal support. The 2009 disaster? Flooding.

Or Rep. Sam Graves, from Missouri, back in 2011 begging for an emergency declaration from the White House for, you guess it, flooding.

Gulf Coast Lawmaker Votes Against Sandy Relief
Rep. Steven Palazzo (R-MS), whose Mississippi district is situated on the Gulf Coast, was one of 67 Republicans on Friday to vote against a $9.7 billion relief package to victims of Hurricane Sandy.

The Sandy relief legislation passed overwhelmingly on Friday, with the only “no” votes coming from Republican members.

8 Texas Republicans vote against Superstorm Sandy relief
All 12 Democrats in the Texas delegation voted in favor of the storm relief.

Other Texas Republicans who voted against the measure: Louie Gohmert of Tyler, Mike Conaway of Midland, Mac Thornberry of Clarendon, Randy Neugebauer of Lubbock, Kenny Marchant of Carrollton and Roger Williams of Weatherford.

Oklahoma freshmen representatives vote against Sandy relief
Jim Bridenstine and Markwayne Mullin, were among 67 Republicans to vote against nearly $10 billion in emergency relief for flood victims in the northeast United States.

67 Republicans vote against partial funding for Hurricane Sandy relief
After days of anger directed at House Speaker John Boehner’s (R-OH), the House of Representatives on Friday passed a bill that puts a small down payment on Hurricane Sandy relief efforts — over the objections of 67 Republican lawmakers.

The bill passed by a vote of 354 to 67, with the only opposition coming from members of the Republican Party. The Senate has already approved a much larger $60 billion relief package.

A second relief bill for an additional $51 billion is set for a vote later this month, but it is not clear if the speaker will be able to corral enough Republicans into supporting it.

It has now been 66 days since Hurricane Sandy hit and 27 days since President Obama put forth a responsible aid proposal that passed with a bipartisan vote in the Senate while the House has failed to even bring it to the floor,” New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) said on Wednesday. “This failure to come to the aid of Americans following a severe and devastating natural disaster is unprecedented.”

Here are the 67 Repubicans who voted against funding flood insurance for Sandy victims.

GOP senators vote against Sandy relief: Screw these guys
Here’s a list of the estimable members of the US Senate who voted against disaster relief for New Jersey, Connecticut and New York yesterday. There are 32 of them. They’re all Republicans, of course.

Alexander (R-TN), Ayotte (R-NH), Barrasso (R-WY), Blunt (R-MO), Boozman (R-AR), Burr (R-NC), Chambliss (R-GA), Coats (R-IN), Coburn (R-OK), Corker (R-TN), Cornyn (R-TX), , Crapo (R-ID), Enzi (R-WY), Graham (R-SC), Grassley (R-IA), Hatch (R-UT), Inhofe (R-OK), Isakson (R-GA), Johanns (R-NE), Johnson (R-WI), Kyl (R-AZ), Lee (R-UT), McCain (R-AZ), McConnell (R-KY), Moran (R-KS), Paul (R-KY), Portman (R-OH), Roberts (R-KS), Rubio (R-FL), Sessions (R-AL), Thune (R-SD), Toomey (R-PA)

DdC's picture
DdC

Has anybody taken the time to determine the red state / blue state status of these republicans in the house and senate that voted against Sandy relief? My guess is most are not only from red states, but some are also from states not as likely to get hit by hurricanes, tornadoes, or blizzards (or storm surge along the coastline). I did see some from Alabama and Oklahoma and Florida and Texas, which just baffles me.

I'd just love to hear them defend those votes in the next town hall when asked what the hell they were thinking by the next round of flood or disaster victims in THEIR OWN STATE that are kept waiting for a month or two for aid! No pis-ass teabagger Ayn Rand b.s. is going to help those disaster victims put a roof and walls back up on their home or business!

Of course, the people affected by Sandy mostly are blue-staters, so these SOB's think they are pulling one over on the dems ... just don't act surprised if a certain republican governor starts thinking about switching parties, or at least endorsing dems that came to support the people of his state.

miksilvr

1/6/13 -

Rep. Steven Palazzo, who voted against Sandy relief last week, pleaded for federal dollars after Hurricane Katrina.

miksilvr

1/15/13 -

House set to vote on Hurricane Sandy relief package

House Takes Up Sandy Relief Bill After It Was Dropped By Previous Congress

House passes $17bn Sandy relief bill despite Republican opposition

Sandy Relief Measure Approved By House Despite Conservative Opposition

and, for some reason, a second vote today:

The House Has Passed An Amendment That Adds Nearly $34 Billion To Sandy Relief Aid

miksilvr

The additional bills were needed to add additional relief funds to areas that were never affected by Hurricane Sandy. You can end the tirade. It is over. Cash everywhere.

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/12/17/hurricane-sandy-relief-bill-packed-w...

More money=more voters http://www.nj.com/south-jersey-voices/index.ssf/2013/01/letter_blame_hur...

Redwing's picture
Redwing

Actually, it isn't over. As of yesteray:

"I bring truckloads of water-water to people, drinking water because water mains are breaking. And people aren't supposed to do their wash in the water, so certainly of course not drink it. And this is America but not the America I grew up in. And I still put an American flag on everything I do, so its very painful for me to have to do this, and its disgusting for me to to see the things that I see"

The good news. People with blown away walls now have a really good ocean view. Video:

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&I...

Retired Monk - "Ideology s a disease"

polycarp2

same old b.s.

stick to a subject you know something about ... "stick to your guns".

miksilvr

1/15/13 -

Just 78 Days Later, the House Passes $50.7 Billion Sandy Relief Bill

House approves Hurricane Sandy relief package

House Passes $51 Billion Sandy Relief Bill

House approves $50.5 billion in Sandy aid

IT'S OFFICIAL! House approves $50.7 billion in Superstorm Sandy emergency relief for victims late Tuesday

1/16/13 -

Smith: House passage of $50.7B Sandy relief package reflects 'immediate need to rebuild'

STORMY ISSUE OF SANDY AID SETTLES DOWN IN HOUSE

Superstorm Sandy: How NOAA Used Social Media During The Natural Disaster

miksilvr

Currently Chatting

Get. Money. Out.

Last week, the United States Senate actually considered a constitutional amendment on campaign finance. Last Monday, the Senate advanced Tom Udall's proposed amendment, which would allow Congress to regulate money in politics. Seventy-nine senators voted to allow debate on the measure.