Meet the most ungrateful financial institution in America...

3 posts / 0 new

As the New York Times reports – the insurance giant would have brought down the entire financial system in 2008 -- had it not been for a generous 182 billion bailout courtesy of “we the taxpayers” -- is now looking to sue “we the taxpayers” for offering up a bailout in the first place. Leading up the financial crisis in 2007 and 2008, AIG made enormous profits insuring junk mortgages for other banks and financial institutions. And when those junk mortgages finally exploded – and everyone came to A.I.G. to collect on their insurance claims – A.I.G. didn’t have the money – and had to be bailed out.

Now – A.I.G. is arguing that the conditions of the bailout were too onerous – and deprived company shareholders tens of billions of dollars. According to A.I.G. – that’s a violation of the 5th Amendment, which bans the confiscation of private property without just compensation. So here we have a business that would have failed had it not received a bailout – now suing the government saying the bailout was too burdensome.

You can’t make this stuff up, folks. And it shows just how entitled Wall Street feels nowadays to our money.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...
Dec. 29, 2009 10:59 am

1/9/13 -

AIG Lawsuit: Insurance Giant Won't Join Ex-CEO's Suit Against The U.S.

Facing Backlash, AIG Won’t Join Lawsuit Against US

1/10/13 -

Jon Stewart Rips Former AIG CEO’s Lawsuit Against Government

AIG's New Ad For America - CONAN on TBS

Jul. 7, 2011 12:13 pm

1/10/13 -

Warren to AIG: You're on Notice

Jul. 7, 2011 12:13 pm

Latest Headlines

Tsipras beings ‘race to reform' following Greek confidence vote

The first set of 48 reforms which include tax hikes and pension cuts needs to be turned into law by October 15

Refugee Kickstarter Nearing 5,000 Beds

A Kickstarter campaign was formally launched Monday, and by Thursday morning the initial goal of $735,000 had been met

ISIS Training Russian-Born Fighters In Afghanistan: Report

Some of the trainers include U.S. and U.K. citizens, the diplomat said

Why the Media isn’t Covering Citizens United

Americans have always been skeptical of corporate power. In fact, this country was founded by a revolt against the biggest corporation of its day - the British East India Company.

You know how conservatives are always going on about how the Boston Tea Party was an example of America’s anti-government roots?