No Charges for David Gregory Even Though He Committed a Felony on the Air

28 posts / 0 new
No employees of NBC will face criminal charges over the display of a high-capacity ammunition magazine on a "Meet the Press" program in violation of local law in Washington, prosecutors told the network on Friday.

The capital city's attorney general, Irvin Nathan, said in a letter to NBC there would be no charges, but added that it was "a very close decision."

Nathan also said "there is no doubt of the gravity of the illegal conduct in this matter, especially in a city and a nation that have been plagued by carnage from gun violence."

The letter also confirmed the 30-round magazine displayed by show host David Gregory on December 23 was empty. At the time, Gregory was interviewing Wayne LaPierre of the National Rifle Association, a strong opponent of new gun control proposals.

Nathan said the network used the magazine with the "purpose of informing an ongoing public debate about firearms policy" not long after the school shooting massacre in Newtown, Connecticut.

Even an empty magazine violates city law. Conviction carries a possible sentence of up to a year in jail as well as a possible fine of up to $1,000.

Do you agree with this decision not to file charges even though it was a clear violation of the law? Disagree? Why?

Anyone else tired of the hypocrisy of these people leading the charge in so many different arenas? I'm not talking just about guns here now...I'm talking about people who just don't practice what they preach. People who base their political decisions on their moral beliefs, then get caught with a hooker or get caught cheating on their spouses? People who lead "wars on drugs" and you find out they do them or got a DUI? Or hell, people who lead charges against guns, then get caught with one at O'Hare airport, or those leading the charge, but who held a concealed weapons permit for 30 years?

Do we not see this kind of crap just about every single day? Yet, people will still tune in. People will still vote them in. Why?

Do you think if an average citizen doing, say, a Youtube video on the subject did the same thing, they'd be as understanding??

Do you think it was smart for Obama to go back and sit down with an interview with Gregory a week later?

Should we be holding these people accountable or are we content to just laugh this shit off and then complain when nothing changes?

DowntheMiddle

Comments

People sure are getting desperate for things to discuss... Bringing up the perennially intellectually incurious suck up to power David Gregory on a topic which has been beaten to death... and was stupid enough the first time.... May provide a distraction I guess...

norske's picture
norske

I'm still wondering why Limbaugh is on the radio and has not served a day in prison, along with the doctors that were supplying him with those illegal prescriptions for thousands of doses of high potency opiate pain killers under fake names.

Oh, he's white, rich and could afford expensive lawyers?

Well, then ... Nevermind!

miksilvr
Quote norske:

People sure are getting desperate for things to discuss... Bringing up the perennially intellectually incurious suck up to power David Gregory on a topic which has been beaten to death... and was stupid enough the first time.... May provide a distraction I guess...

Distraction from what?

You want laws enacted, but don't want people to follow them as long as they're speaking on your behalf?

Sounds about right.

DowntheMiddle
Quote miksilvr:

I'm still wondering why Limbaugh is on the radio and has not served a day in prison, along with the doctors that were supplying him with those illegal prescriptions for thousands of doses of high potency opiate pain killers under fake names.

I'm still wondering how and why that fat lunatic even has any listeners, but does it bother you that he was not charged and convicted or do you just not want to answer the other question?

If you were caught with illegal drugs, what would have happened to you?

If you were caught with a 30 round mag in DC, what would have happened to you?

DowntheMiddle

It's amazing that this "crime" is supposed to matter and yet the remote-controlled bombing of civilians in six different countries does not warrant discussion.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor
Quote JTaylor:

It's amazing that this "crime" is supposed to matter and yet the remote-controlled bombing of civilians in six different countries does not warrant discussion.

It is a crime...under DC law. Throw up the quotes all you want, but it's a law, and one that was broken on national television.

DowntheMiddle

How many times over the years have we seen a reporter standing next to and holding up a bag of cocaine that was just found by law enforcement? More times than I can count. I don't remember anyone ever calling for the reporter's arrest though. I mean hey, he was in posession of a controlled substance on tv and the proof was right there. Hypocracy is one thing and context is quite another.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

HSNBC launders money and funds terrorists, but they're bankers. Bankers don't need guns for their crimes.

High capcity magazines are in the city sometimes. Military and swat teams kind of use them. Technically they should have had an authorized person or written authorization as a civilian.

BTW your client on the other thread the hunter of humans lost his conceal carry permit. TN doesn't allow hunting for humans. I hear he's moving to TX.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote DowntheMiddle:but it's a law, and one that was broken on national television.

Apply that logic to Afghanistan and Iraq, and then a reporter with an unloaded rifle magazine is irrelevant.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor
Quote Bush_Wacker:

How many times over the years have we seen a reporter standing next to and holding up a bag of cocaine that was just found by law enforcement? More times than I can count. I don't remember anyone ever calling for the reporter's arrest though. I mean hey, he was in posession of a controlled substance on tv and the proof was right there. Hypocracy is one thing and context is quite another.

I've never seen that, but if it was under the supervision of a police officer standing right there and THEY HAD PERMISSION, then I wouldn't see the problem.

See, the difference is that the reporters you've seen ("more times than you can count"), didn't go out and score the cocaine on their own and then bring it to the television studio in complete violation of the law, now did they?

That was a nice parallel, but I'm pretty sure the lines skewed off in different directions right from the get go.

DowntheMiddle
Quote JTaylor:
Quote DowntheMiddle:but it's a law, and one that was broken on national television.

Apply that logic to Afghanistan and Iraq, and then a reporter with an unloaded rifle magazine is irrelevant.

????

ADD or just trying to derail the thread? I seem to notice that's a trend around here.

DowntheMiddle

Wow...Afghanistan, Iraq, cocaine, Limbaugh, "he's a Republican!"....

lol...it's a giant deflection festival!!!

Not one of you has made an attempt to answer the simple question. Do you agree with it or not?

DowntheMiddle
Quote norske:

People attack David Gregory because they think he is a dem!

They think he is part of the "liberal media"!

LOL !

Is david Gregory a democrat of a republican?

David Gregory Carries More Water for Republicans and Their Obstruction in the Senate

Is David Gregory A Republican Mole?

David Gregory: Impartial Journalist or Republican Shill?

NBC Defends David Gregory Speaking Before Group That Lobbies for GOP Causes

What the hell, David Gregory?

Meet the Press Loses Credibility by Letting David Gregory Misquote Obama

David Gregory’s Tim Russert Problem

David Gregory Beclowns Himself With Awful Performance Moderating Elizabeth Warren-Scott Brown Debate

Any doubts left in the room ? His middle name is "(R)" ! His nickname might as well be DINO!

miksilvr
Quote DowntheMiddle:
Quote miksilvr:

I'm still wondering how and why that fat lunatic even has any listeners, but does it bother you that he was not charged and convicted or do you just not want to answer the other question?

If the fact that Limbaugh was NOT tried and NOT convicted did NOT bother me I would NOT have written what I did!

WTF? Dumb question. You don't even have to read between the lines to understand my feelings about that jerks case.

I'm not rich, so if I had been in Limbaugh's shoes, I'd still be in a federal pen somewhere.

Again, I'm not rich, so i would still be sitting in a DC jail if i had waved that mag on TV.

From what I read of the 30-shot magazine caper, it was not clear who gave the approval or who brought the mag into DC. More details may have been fleshed out later, maybe not. The latest article I saw stated the mag was empty. It was debatable whether the information the NBC producers and mtp staff received from the law enforcement personnel they consulted was clear enough for a third grade level mind to understand that no, you don't want to stick that wire in the electric outlet on the wall.

miksilvr
Quote DowntheMiddle:
Quote Bush_Wacker:

I've never seen that, but if it was under the supervision of a police officer standing right there and THEY HAD PERMISSION, then I wouldn't see the problem.

See, the difference is that the reporters you've seen ("more times than you can count"), didn't go out and score the cocaine on their own and then bring it to the television studio in complete violation of the law, now did they?

That was a nice parallel, but I'm pretty sure the lines skewed off in different directions right from the get go.

The only problem is that he had permission from local law enforcement. They asked about it before televising it. One law enforcement agency said it was ok and another said it wasn't AFTER it was aired. It was a prop in order to make a point. The same way reporters use real drugs to make a point. There's no story here no matter how badly you want to stick it to someone.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote douglaslee:

HSNBC launders money and funds terrorists, but they're bankers. Bankers don't need guns for their crimes.

High capcity magazines are in the city sometimes. Military and swat teams kind of use them. Technically they should have had an authorized person or written authorization as a civilian.

BTW your client on the other thread the hunter of humans lost his conceal carry permit. TN doesn't allow hunting for humans. I hear he's moving to TX.

You mean this guy ?

Radical right: “We’ll start killing people” if Obama enacts gun control

B.S. threatening comments like his should result in immediate confiscation of his guns and mags, jail, and mental capacity tests ... and also a blood test to see whether the ignorant SOB is warm or cold blooded. My guess is he is a cold blooded lizard, not human at all. Obviously not smart enough to be trusted with weapons of any kind.

miksilvr
Quote DowntheMiddle:
Quote JTaylor:

????

ADD or just trying to derail the thread? I seem to notice that's a trend around here.

It means that an American culture that protects war criminals and banker war profiteers and other perpetrators of much more serious offenses even when their crimes are broadcast on the evening news has no right or reason to whine about the slightest infractions like someone holding an unthreatening piece of metal and plastic.

Compared to war crimes, a reporter with an unloaded gun clip is irrelevant.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor
Quote miksilvr:
Quote DowntheMiddle:
Quote miksilvr:

If the fact that Limbaugh was NOT tried and NOT convicted did NOT bother me I would NOT have written what I did!

WTF? Dumb question. You don't even have to read between the lines to understand my feelings about that jerks case.

I'm not rich, so if I had been in Limbaugh's shoes, I'd still be in a federal pen somewhere.

Again, I'm not rich, so i would still be sitting in a DC jail if i had waved that mag on TV.

From what I read of the 30-shot magazine caper, it was not clear who gave the approval or who brought the mag into DC. More details may have been fleshed out later, maybe not. The latest article I saw stated the mag was empty. It was debatable whether the information the NBC producers and mtp staff received from the law enforcement personnel they consulted was clear enough for a third grade level mind to understand that no, you don't want to stick that wire in the electric outlet on the wall.

I just want you to state it clearly, since you avoided my question and went for Limbaugh, apparently thinking I was a fan of that fat woman hating paranoid slob.

Ok, so you're clearly pissed off that Limbaugh didn't get charged and convicted, but you kind of give Gregory a pass because "the information wasn't clear enough for a third grader to understand".

It was a felony firearm law and if you weren't really clear on if it was legal or not, would you basically opt for the, "Well, they didn't exactly say no, so let's roll with it," option?

Mag empty or not, possession of something banned under the law is a crime. 30 round magazines are ILLEGAL to possess in DC. Loaded or unloaded makes no difference.

You stated clearly that if it were you, you'd be in prison, so don't you think it only fair that at the very least, he should have been charged? I don't understand why, if you feel that way, you'd add the little disclaimer at the end about the clarity from law enforcement.

DowntheMiddle
Quote JTaylor:
Quote DowntheMiddle:
Quote JTaylor:

????

It means that an American culture that protects war criminals and banker war profiteers and other perpetrators of much more serious offenses even when their crimes are broadcast on the evening news has no right or reason to whine about the slightest infractions like someone holding an unthreatening piece of metal and plastic.

Compared to war crimes, a reporter with an unloaded gun clip is irrelevant.

Hardly irrelevant considering the focus of every pundit and politician is on gun control and the impending legislation and responsibility and the "high capacity magazine."

Yes, more serious things are taking place in the world...

DowntheMiddle
Quote DowntheMiddle:

Ok, so you're clearly pissed off that Limbaugh didn't get charged and convicted, but you kind of give Gregory a pass because "the information wasn't clear enough for a third grader to understand".

Like hell i did! I hate it when people think they are so damned smart that they think they can read peoples minds. I did not "give Gregory a pass" ! B.S. !

It's obvious to me that a crime was committed when the clip was brought into the district, nevermind waving under the NRA chief's nose, but it appears the DC prosecuters don't feel like pursuing the case partly because conflicting advice was given to the people from MTP, and the clip was displayed in the discussion of gun control after the Newtown massacre. Even with the conflicting advice, the mtp producers should have known it was a stupid pointless thing to do that could have no good outcome, like sticking a wire in the electric outlet or pissing on an electric fence because some idiot said you would not get hurt.

I addressed your question, which appeared as a dig at someone who for some damn reason is perceived as a dem, by bringing up the fat jerks case as way of saying what David Gregory is being accused of doing pales in comparison with the criminal acts that republican tool Limbaugh got away with ... pointing out an obvious double standard.

As my later reply states, Gregory is FAR from being a democrat! The only statements of his party affiliation that I could find stated he is a republican, or acts like a republican.

I sure as HELL did not give him a pass ... I just understand why DC does not pursue charges, which surely would be hard to pin down on someone given the conflicting advice and the lack of specific information on who brought the mag into DC; that party is the one who broke DC law.

However you look at it, this was a dumb ass thing for NBC to do, and hopefully this fuss discourages other media people from pulling this kind of publicity stunt.

miksilvr

DowntheMiddle,

It's been my experience that most people on this board are unwilling to answer straightforward questions. As to the matter at hand, I think there is a larger point. No one's rights were violated by Gregory's or Limbaugh's actions. Their hypocrisy, of course, muddles the issue. And partisans will always say "but the other guy did X." If there is no victim there is no crime. All liberals and conservatives support some kind of victimless crime laws. So they are all hypocritical, too.

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner
Quote Bush_Wacker:
Quote DowntheMiddle:
Quote Bush_Wacker:

The only problem is that he had permission from local law enforcement. They asked about it before televising it. One law enforcement agency said it was ok and another said it wasn't AFTER it was aired. It was a prop in order to make a point. The same way reporters use real drugs to make a point. There's no story here no matter how badly you want to stick it to someone.

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/12/police-investigating-david-gre...

I bet this guy would disagree:

Quote mjolnir:http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/4/if-youre-not-david-gregory/

"The Washington Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) inquiry into whether NBC’s David Gregory possession on national TV of an illegal 30-round “high-capacity” magazine has been ongoing for three weeks. Meanwhile, U.S. Army veteran James Brinkley is still grappling with the fallout from his arrest last year on the same charge."

He was aquitted after a year and tens of thousands in legal fees. I am not aware of any jurisdiction that grants immunity from a felony at the whim of a cop.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

Same thing applies to the above. Gregory had permission from law enforcement to do what he did and Brinkley had permission from law enforcement to do what he did. Law enforcement dropped the ball either way you look at it. This has nothing to do with Gregory or Brinkley and has everything to do with the absurdity of law as it is written. A large capacity magazine is no threat to society unless it's full of bullets and attached to a gun.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

I agree the law is absurd. I do not believe that a cop can extend immunity from a felony. If this were Glenn Beck they would be doing a cavity search about now.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

I agree the law is absurd. I do not believe that a cop can extend immunity from a felony. If this were Glenn Beck they would be doing a cavity search about now.

That search would take too many men and dogs.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
How many times over the years have we seen a reporter standing next to and holding up a bag of cocaine that was just found by law enforcement?
Probably never. I've seen reportersstanding next to and holding bags, but all the film I've seen of siezed weapons and drugs have had them laid out on a table. Probably put there by the police.

Gregory probably broke the law. District Attourneys have the discretion to charge or not charge, based on whether they think they can get a conviction. This is just too stupid an issue to bother with.

Art's picture
Art

I could see Gregory being arrested and prosecuted for pretending to portray a journalist... but this magazine thing is a non-issue...

norske's picture
norske

Currently Chatting

Can Democrats Set Out a New Path?

Democrats must embrace a pro-government platform, not run away from it.

Those were the sentiments of Senator Chuck Schumer today, in a speech given at the National Press Club. Talking about the reasons for Democrats’ losses on Election Day, Schumer said that those losses were proof that the American people and middle-class want a government that will work more effectively for them.