Obama's rightward turn -

17 posts / 0 new

Where's the outrage from democrats?

Where's the 'holding his feet to the fire" - democrats will Never hold Obama to any sort of standard. It's Never gonna happen.

Obama's 2nd term - So far we get the Dr of Torture to the CIA. We get a republican who is up to is ears in the electronic voting machine debacle to run the Defense Dept.

We get Another Bankster to reun the Treasury - this one helped pass the financial deregulation that helped crash the economy and then went to Citibank where he was COO and ran the derivitives and the real estate trading desks. Received a $950,000 bonus shortly after Citibank was bailedout by the government and then returns to gov where he uses is clout to Stop any further regulation of the banks - in fact this guy testifies that he doesn't think that deregulation led to the economic crash. And he gets to run the Treasury!

Its sure looking like the folks who said that Obama would go to the Left if he won reelection were WRONG - Obama has turned to the Right.

Obama no longer has to care about We the People - but he does have to care about Wall Street if he wants to follow the Clinton Model and make 100 million off Wall Street for giving a few speeches.

the next crash is the Obama Crash.

Scappoose's picture
Scappoose

Comments

My sense is that the only people surprised and or disappointed in President Obama's governing to the right simply weren't paying attention... Personally, he has been only slightly worse than I thought he would be. If he continues as he has, he could surpass Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Cheney/Bush in damage done to those in other nations and in the US....

norske's picture
norske

Well, in one way Dems were correct. He'd be able to show his true colors when he wouldn't be up for re-election. Constitutionally, he's not allowed to run again.

What you see is what you get. It was him all along. I told people that, though I wish I'd have been wrong. Eight wasted years of just another neo-liberal twit in the White House.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

These appointments are partly being made to minimize opposition from the republican obstructionists in the senate. They are not necessarily the first choice of the administration, they are what is felt can get approval. I'm sure there are people more qualified they would rather have, but the administration does not seem like it wants a long, dragged out fight over these cabinet appointments.

Many of the decisions being made the last few months are being overly influenced by the republican obstruction coming from both houses. People act like the president is making this shift to the right on his own, which is total b.s. He is being pushed in that direction by Boehner and McConnell and Ryan and Cantor. This was happening even BEFORE the election, and has continued.

Because they were in such a rush to get a deal from the 112th congress, we now are sure to have a hostage taking over the remaining portions of the fiscal curb deal and the debt ceiling ... decoupling the tax cuts from those fights was a BAD move, took away too much leverage.

Boehner is sure to try to break the ineptitude record set by his 112th during the 113th congress. You know it was bad when people say that comparing the 112th to the "do nothing congress" of Truman's days was not fair ... not fair to the original "do nothing congress", who totally smoked the 112th in the number of bills passed, and probably also in the number of days on the job.

1. The 112th Congress was as bad as the 80th “do-nothing” Congress during the Truman era.

The comparison is completely unfair — to the 80th Congress. Harry Truman’s improbable comeback to win the 1948 presidential election was fueled by his relentless campaign against the “do-nothing” Republican Congress of 1947-48. That Congress had many parallels with the 112th — it pitted a hostile, conservative Republican House against an activist, liberal president.

But the 80th Congress shouldn’t be stuck with the “do nothing” label. It enacted a respectable 906 laws, including the Marshall Plan, one of the most consequential initiatives of the 20th century. It created the Defense Department and the National Security Council as part of a sweeping reorganization of our national security apparatus.

In contrast, the 112th Congress enacted the smallest number of laws in modern history, fewer than 250 (some are still awaiting presidential action). At least 40 of those were trivial acts such as post office namings or commemorative resolutions. What was the 112th’s equivalent of the Marshall Plan? The debt-limit debacle, which led to the first-ever downgrade of the nation’s credit rating.

Five myths about the 112th Congress

And oh, by the way, the next crash will actually be a continuation of the Bush crash that created this hole in the economy. Forget about what the technical definitions are for when a recession beings or ends, this "W" recession never really ended. Conditions have improved for the country as a whole, but many areas of the country have not yet seen the degree of improvement to make people confident enough to spend money.

Check out these not-so-pretty pictures that show the depth of "W"'s attempt at digging his way to China (so they can avoid the expense of shipping jobs over the Pacific to China):

Employment Graphs

miksilvr

There is absolutely no proof that Obama is being forced to name all these Wall Street and republican types.

Starting on 5 years of the Obama presidency it's time to drop the rorschach test mumbo jumbo and accept what obama is - a Wall Street, trickle down, war and Empire president. President Drone. Or maybe President Frack. Or perhaps the Obomber.

Democrats will never admit or accept that Obama is acting according to his wishes and desires.

I believe the term is cognitive dissonance.

Scappoose's picture
Scappoose

There are no reluctant torturers... they do it because they enjoy it and because they can... Such will continue until such a time as psychopaths are ostracized and treated as outcasts...

"There are no reluctant torturers. This point is important to
remember. No one is forced to carry out torture. This is one of the
great absolving myths that societies tell themselves when, at some
point, their filthy crimes are belched forth and cannot be denied...."

"So why does it happen? Why are innocent pregnant women wrapped in tape, why are children abducted, why are innocent people strung up in "stress positions," why are captives beaten, bombarded with brain-scrambling noise, stripped naked and sexually humiliated, drugged, deprived of sleep, threatened with murder -- and sometimes murdered in fact? Why is this being done by official representatives of the governments of the United States and the United Kingdom?

Why? Because -- and let us be absolutely clear about this -- because these people want to torture others. They like it, they enjoy it. There is clearly a zest, a psychosexual rush at work. Like child abusers, they enjoy their full, unchallengeable physical power over the bodies of their defenseless victims. They get off on it. They are the moral equivalent of pedophiles, and in any remotely healthy society, they would be treated as such...."
http://www.chris-floyd.com/com...

norske's picture
norske

What were the alternatives to this form of wasting eight years? Hillary? We may get to waste another with her, and we will be all agog about finally a woman President/Emperor/CEO/CIC to sit on the head of the dinosaur and wave at the crowds.

I had some hope that Obama had some reason to run against the Clinton entitlement instead of waiting to run after she had done her term. Why not wait until his kids were grown? What was the point of picking that fight? How could the situation be any worse?

Despite what I and most of you here think, there is a big swatch of public opinion that wants "unity" and "cooperation" and that a politician would see his Purple Brand as the way to avoid the partisanism that would have been sure to follow another Clinton. How were they going to get this impeachment show launched? Notice how he healed that rift and made Bill and Hillary his BFFs. Marginalizing the Right, no, letting them do it themselves while he offers more than good deals that they refuse. See how he is solidifying a middle as the Right becomes extreme and the Left--remember the Left? Anyone seen them? Not in our political chat.

What is the Left doing? Being positive, let's say that there are lots of local efforts going on doing real work that needs to be done to prepare the way and secure the means of survival. Food security, for one, is getting people active and learning. What is missing is politics.

What passes for elections in America is worthy of contempt. Criticism of the Democratic Party for being co-dependent with the GOPimps is correct, so is there an alternative? Rather than see this as an argument for confroming to the duopoly, I think it asks the question we need to take seriously. Is there an alternative?

Is Dennis Kucinich now a candidate America wants to make real change? I wish.

I tend to avoid the psychobabble, and if it makes you feel good to believe that Obama secretly gets off on torture, I don't see what harm it will do me. People may move to the seats on the other side of the bus, but I have had to deal with much worse. I don't see that same glint in the eye or chuckle Dubya had when denying that enhanced interrogations were "torture." Obama appears to me to be very business-like in his CIC role. I may be saying what you are saying about the ruthless and cold manager, but Obama does not appear to get off on power in public like Georgie did.

drc2
Quote miksilvr:

These appointments are partly being made to minimize opposition from the republican obstructionists in the senate. They are not necessarily the first choice of the administration, they are what is felt can get approval. I'm sure there are people more qualified they would rather have, but the administration does not seem like it wants a long, dragged out fight over these cabinet appointments.

Many of the decisions being made the last few months are being overly influenced by the republican obstruction coming from both houses. People act like the president is making this shift to the right on his own, which is total b.s. He is being pushed in that direction by Boehner and McConnell and Ryan and Cantor. This was happening even BEFORE the election, and has continued.

Because they were in such a rush to get a deal from the 112th congress, we now are sure to have a hostage taking over the remaining portions of the fiscal curb deal and the debt ceiling ... decoupling the tax cuts from those fights was a BAD move, took away too much leverage.

Boehner is sure to try to break the ineptitude record set by his 112th during the 113th congress. You know it was bad when people say that comparing the 112th to the "do nothing congress" of Truman's days was not fair ... not fair to the original "do nothing congress", who totally smoked the 112th in the number of bills passed, and probably also in the number of days on the job.

1. The 112th Congress was as bad as the 80th “do-nothing” Congress during the Truman era.

The comparison is completely unfair — to the 80th Congress. Harry Truman’s improbable comeback to win the 1948 presidential election was fueled by his relentless campaign against the “do-nothing” Republican Congress of 1947-48. That Congress had many parallels with the 112th — it pitted a hostile, conservative Republican House against an activist, liberal president.

But the 80th Congress shouldn’t be stuck with the “do nothing” label. It enacted a respectable 906 laws, including the Marshall Plan, one of the most consequential initiatives of the 20th century. It created the Defense Department and the National Security Council as part of a sweeping reorganization of our national security apparatus.

In contrast, the 112th Congress enacted the smallest number of laws in modern history, fewer than 250 (some are still awaiting presidential action). At least 40 of those were trivial acts such as post office namings or commemorative resolutions. What was the 112th’s equivalent of the Marshall Plan? The debt-limit debacle, which led to the first-ever downgrade of the nation’s credit rating.

Five myths about the 112th Congress

And oh, by the way, the next crash will actually be a continuation of the Bush crash that created this hole in the economy. Forget about what the technical definitions are for when a recession beings or ends, this "W" recession never really ended. Conditions have improved for the country as a whole, but many areas of the country have not yet seen the degree of improvement to make people confident enough to spend money.

Check out these not-so-pretty pictures that show the depth of "W"'s attempt at digging his way to China (so they can avoid the expense of shipping jobs over the Pacific to China):

Employment Graphs

All the other recessions had the benfit of keyensian stimulus. The current crowd afraid of club for growth doesn't believe in investment.

Re:DOD draw down in Afghanistan to 2000 or zero troups has McCain in his permanent war whoops. "The last 10 years will be a waste if we leave". This is known as the Sunk Cost Fallacy.[or Concorde Fallacy for real life examples] The last 10 were already a waste and like toothpaste can't be put back in the tube, Viet Nam was always a waste and nothing would have ever saved the 56000 lives once the decision was made to launch the war. Something Eisenhower avoided in Suez, and exited Korea, and did not engage Viet Nam. McCain wants Syria and Iran too. Iraq was a waste and Afghanistan was a waste before the "Mission Accomplished" banner was strung on the carrier in San Diego. Trillions of dollars and thousands of allied lives and 100s of thousands of innocent Afghan and Iraqi lives lost. More terrorists created though, like the NRA playbook. You have a product that is basically a hobby, but serves no actual need in most civilised countries of the world, you have to create the need like Bernays taught. Even if you have a better mousetrap, without mice you won't sell it. Infect the market with mice, or a phantom need for self defense, or the new red scare of Muslims, or Sikhs for the really stupid believers and your hobby has a purpose or relevence in the parlance of warriors.

Antagonising peaceful people always works, too. CIA slaughtering teachers and putting playing cards in their mouths as a sign of the enemy within fooled a few. The NRA marketing specifically to mentally ill has worked wonders for sales. Every massacre spikes gun sales, especially the model used by the nut. With a national data base of paranoids the lobbiests can put a loop hole in to allow exemptions, and they just used the gov't to give them their next target market complete with adresses and names..

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Without a doubt. As disgusted as I am by his latest, I am far from surprised. However anyone who thinks Obama "caved" or did anything short of what he WANTED to do is fooling themselves. Obama made clear by his appointments and actions during his 1st term that he was a corporatist, plain and simple. He isn't now, never was, and never will be a progressive. In many ways he reminds me very much of Reagan in the sense that he is an actor. He can give a speech like no one else and he says what people want to hear.

I bit my bottom lip and voted for him in 08, this year, not a chance. As for the risk of a Romney win? At the very least the so called progressive "base" that continues to make excuse after excuse for Obama may have re-energized against a GOP Executive branch.

The solution does not lie in electoral politics and it certainly does not lie in armed revolution. The ONLY way to change this is for the American people, left, right, and center to simply STOP. Go into the streets and simply sit down. Don't go to work, don't go to school, and absolutely do not buy a thing.

In the words of Mario Savio circa 1964, there comes a time when the machine is so odious... That time is now.

Peace

jlapinski4's picture
jlapinski4
Quote miksilvr:

We are where we are today based on the President's decisions. He could have had Clinton-Gingrich's tax code in 2011 without lifting a finger, he probably had the political capital to have done it in 2009. He doesn't have it because he doesn't want it.

chilidog
Quote jlapinski4:

In the words of Mario Savio circa 1964, there comes a time when the machine is so odious... That time is now.

Peace

"How does it become a man to behave toward this American government to-day? I answer that he cannot without disgrace be associated with it." Henry David Thoreau

norske's picture
norske

Norske posted :"How does it become a man to behave toward this American government to-day? I answer that he cannot without disgrace be associated with it." Henry David Thoreau

poly replies: It's a pity one of America's great thinkers and writers of American prose is no longer required reading in public schools. He instilled in one's mind a desire to question...to learn...to examine. That hasn't been a function of education in this country for a long, long time. The results of eliminating that function speak for themselves.

I'm very indebted to what he passed on to me.

"Is a democracy, such as we know it, the last improvement possible in government? Is it not possible to take a step further towards recognizing and organizing the rights of man?" - Thoreau

polycarp2
Quote polycarp2:

It's a pity one of America's great thinkers and writers of American prose is no longer required reading in public schools. He instilled in one's mind a desire to question...to learn...to examine. That hasn't been a function of education in this country for a long, long time. The results of eliminating that function speak for themselves.

I'm very indebted to what he passed on to me.

Thoreau's words... along with those of a few others tremendously helped calm my restless and at times aggressive spirit...

norske's picture
norske

Thoreau's writings were the basis for my final-grade English essay in college. He was an American giant, though would probably cringe at the thought of being called such.

It's difficult to see how anyone can claim "capturing the American spirit" if they haven't read him. He personified the very best of it. His disdain for the current Pres. would be pretty forthcoming.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

Were you out of country when the Susan Rice for Secretary of State nomination was withdrawn before it was even submitted, or just not paying attention to the news ? The biggest noise against her came from RW'ers screaming nonsense about the phoney Benghazi-gate scandal. That is just one example of how his cabinet appointment choices have been altered due to outside pressure from the right. The noise about benghazi-gate drowned out criticism of her from environmentalists that wanted her to divest the Canadian tarsands and oil industry investments of about $1.25 million the family has as a condition of getting the State job, because of the conflict with the keystone XL pipeline decision. After the example Cheney set with favoring Halliburton and KBR and other properties of his during the iraq war, people were not going to allow the blind trust farce to be repeated.

Wall St "invested" far more money in bribes to republicans and behind the failed Romney bid than it "invested" in Obama or the other dems. they are like Las Vegas bookies, to a point, placing (or taking) bets on both sides. More money went to republicans causes mainly because the fat cats saw that as a way to get their already historically low tax rates even lower, and to get even more special treatment from the tax code that Mittens would feel obligated to deliver.

The "trickle down" charge is just b.s. ... there would be more "trickle" falling on our heads from above under a Romney administration than under the current holdover. The color of the trickle would be that of acid rain, which is similar in color to piss.

Don't mistake me for some sort of Obama apologist ... I have stated previously in response to such criticism that in 2008 I celebrated Obama winning, but in 2012 I celebrated Romney LOSING. I spent a long while on election night typing up a response to one of those cracks, and felt the need to write another one a few days after the election. Among the complaints i had about Obama in those, i did voice my disgust with the fracking commercial delivered in the middle of the state of the union address and in some speeches or comments during the campaign. I also have written in the past about complaints I have on the use of the drones, just not as often or loudly as some others have. In the interim I have soured on the drones even more. Thing is, you must consider the possibility that the use of drones probably would have continued and might have increased under Romney. The neocons embedded in the national intelligence monstrosity that W built have not gone away; there would have been more of them under Romney.

And the "empire" would have continued under Romney, so those charges are hollow also. The military industrial congressional complex was not going to go away under Romney ... it has a life of its own, and will out live us all, along side the roaches.

miksilvr

Well, no one forced Obama to give himself the title Assassinato - in- Chief. That's something I'd expect from a right wing nut....like Bush.

Watch the wolf in sheep's clothing begin the gutting of Soc. Security which will open the door to privatization. Wall Street fees will eat it up.

polycarp2
Quote polycarp2:Watch the wolf in sheep's clothing begin the gutting of Soc. Security which will open the door to privatization. Wall Street fees will eat it up.

Watch, but do nothing to stop it.

JTaylor's picture
JTaylor

Currently Chatting

Should public radio program in the public interest?

NPR is supposed to be our national public radio, but they're barely covering climate issues that are in the public's interest.

Only one month ago, a national New York Times/CBS News poll found that half of all Americans think that global warming is already having a serious impact. Sixty percent of those surveyed even said that protecting our environment should be a priority “even at the risk of curbing economic growth.”