Bariatric Surgery Doesn't Cut Medical Costs

4 posts / 0 new

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-obesity-bariatric-surgery-20130221,0,3466667.story

"Study disputes long-term medical savings from bariatric surgeryA study finds that bariatric surgery did not reduce patients' medical costs over the six years after the operation, dashing hopes that the procedure could cut expenses for obese patients."

DynoDon

Comments

Sorry people, you'll have to go to the link for the full article. For some reason, the site spam filter blocked it when I posted the whole article.

DynoDon

Another poorly designed study... though I'm no fan of bariatric surgery for the majority of people who are morbidly obese...

norske's picture
norske

It's been a boon for Allergan and their Lap Band. I worked with a guy who had the surgery in 2005. He was going back monthly for oozing from his stitches. He had perpetual diarrea. And he started putting the weight back on. He would buy the same big burrito as before and just eat it over a 2 hour period. Perhaps surgery without behavior modification isn't a good idea.

DynoDon

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.