Has Something Gone Wacky With This Website?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Art
Art's picture

Suddenly, when I write in the "reply" box, the background of what I am typing is a very dark blue that I can barely read through. Also, some other text is added that I didn't even type. This is quite a nuisance. Is there something I can do with the settings?

Comments

Sprinklerfitter
Sprinklerfitter's picture
I'm not having any problems

I'm not having any problems with replying to any post I choose even the ones the trolls post which I tend to ignore most of the time...It might be your computer Art.

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
Mine too. When I quoted a

Mine too. When I quoted a post the earliest post was blue.
Of all the changes to the site design, this is not one I'd have made.

northlander
No problem on my browser.....

No problem on my browser..... even went to one of Duhline's posts (defintely a troll) and quoted it and no problem.  

Maybe you should contact Nigel?

Art
Art's picture
bravo! All is right with the

bravo! All is right with the world, and things are back to normal.

miksilvr
I started having this problem

I started having this problem also yesterday.

For background purposes, I am using a Windows 7 system with the Chrome browser (mainly for the inline spell check that I have not been able to find in IE).  It happened when I tried to copy something I had written previously within an earlier comment of the same thread, or even within a part of the same comment I was writing.  It first happened when I tried to copy some rich-text that is a recurring "header" and paste it into a new rich-text comment window.  Those dark blue lines appeared obscuring the text, and there was something after the material I had copied, but could not make out.

Being the curious sort, I pasted it into notepad to see what it was.  Turns out it was an attribution line that contained the URL of the thread the item was being copied from.  Other web sites insert this attribution info when you copy and paste article titles or web addresses or text.

I just tried to copy a portion of this item while in disabled rich-text and paste it into notepad, and here is all that was pasted:

- See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/02/has-something-gone-wacky-websi...

As in this case, sometimes only the attribution info is pasted, not the text you were trying to copy.  One or two times copy attempts were actually blocked, and resulted in a beep.   Others gave me the copied item in the paste output followed by the attribution info. 

I found this very annoying and had to come up with a workaround using notepad to do some copying and editing (basically plugging items into HTML patterns I had saved earlier rather than retype the link controls every time long hand).  Pasting the pattern into notepad and then pasting the details into the pattern, before copying and pasting the completed string into the disabled rich-text comment window works.

This problem was also happening while editing a new comment with rich-text disabled.  Sometimes I could not get the copy or paste to work at all.  It doubled the amount of time needed to write things.

I just noticed it does not seem to be doing the same things with rich-text disabled yet today while I've been writing this.  I have been able to copy and paste things within the same comment box, but not paste them outside the comment box, unlike some times yesterday.

Years ago in the computer biz I was told that there is a difference between a "problem" and a "feature".  If something is happening that you don't like and it was not the intended result of whomever coded the product and software you were using, it was a "problem".  If it was acting as they had intended it to act, and you did not like it but could not get it changed, it was a "feature", and would have to learn to live with it.

Oh well ... 

miksilvr
Not so fast, sparkie ... {the

Not so fast, sparkie ...

{the following is the result of a copy and paste of the comment Art wrote:}

bravo! All is right with the world, and things are back to normal. - See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/02/has-something-gone-wacky-website#comment-199988

{end of quote and pasted material}

I just did a copy of your comment and pasted it into enabled rich-text, and the above is the result. It still has those dark blue bars on it which makes it almost impossible to read before I save it. I don't know if the bars will still there after the save.

Only one way to find out.

miksilvr
The blue bars disappeared,

The blue bars disappeared, but the attribution info is still there.

Art
Art's picture
Mine turned back to

Mine turned back to completely normal. I hadn't been doing anything aout of the ordinary, except that I have started eliminating cookies every day. 

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
I just had problems pasting

I just had problems pasting to a new post.... nothing appeared.. But then when it was posted... there are about 6 copies of what I tried to paste. When I went to edit them away... they were not in the edit box. WTF

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
Pierpont wrote: I just had

Pierpont wrote:

I just had problems pasting to a new post.... nothing appeared.. But then when it was posted... there are about 6 copies of what I tried to paste. When I went to edit them away... they were not in the edit box. WTF

I went back and disabled rich text and saw all my pasted material there. There were too many odd tags so I posted to NotePad to get rid of the formatting and repasted. Everything's OK... except that this has never happened before.

Art
Art's picture
No question about it. These

No question about it. These are omens that the apocalypse is finally upon us!

DynoDon
I use computers at the

I use computers at the library which use both IE and Firefox and there are differences with the forum depending on what computer I use.

miksilvr
Art wrote: No question about

Art wrote:

No question about it. These are omens that the apocalypse is finally upon us!

Maybe, Art.  This comes the same week fossil fuel company ads and others that I'd rather not see appeared on the forum pages of Thom's web site.

Oh, The Horror!

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
Nope... there is something

Nope... there is something odd. When I copy text from another post and paste it... it's NOT showing up in Rich Text....

When posted it ADDS new text such as

See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/02/constitutional-authority-1798-...

<div style="position: absolute; top: -1999px; left: -1988px;">I left out nothing.&nbsp;&nbsp; What you left out was that income taxes were illegal until the 16th amendment in 1913.&nbsp; So,&nbsp; for the simpleminded.&nbsp;&nbsp; That was <em><strong>NOT</strong></em> an income tax.&nbsp; &nbsp; - See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/02/constitutional-authority-1798-...

miksilvr
Pierpont wrote: Nope... there

Pierpont wrote:

Nope... there is something odd. When I copy text from another post and paste it... it's NOT showing up in Rich Text....

When posted it ADDS new text such as

See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/02/constitutional-authority-1798-...

<div style="position: absolute; top: -1999px; left: -1988px;">I left out nothing.&nbsp;&nbsp; What you left out was that income taxes were illegal until the 16th amendment in 1913.&nbsp; So,&nbsp; for the simpleminded.&nbsp;&nbsp; That was <em><strong>NOT</strong></em> an income tax.&nbsp; &nbsp; - See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/02/constitutional-authority-1798-...

That is the same stuff I am seeing, the attribution info containing the URL of where the copied material comes from.

It looks like the lines you pasted appear in the disabled rich-text html code, but do not appear in the rich-text, possibly due to a coding error in the generated HTML code for the attribution info.  I have seen that happen sometimes when I make an error in the HTML code I build manually.

What opsys and browser were you running when you wrote that reply ?  As I said in my earlier comment, I'm using Win 7 and Chrome.  The effect of this may vary from one browser to another.  I have not tried it in IE yet, and may later.

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
miksilvr wrote:That is the

miksilvr wrote:
That is the same stuff I am seeing, the attribution info containing the URL of where the copied material comes from.

It looks like the lines you pasted appear in the disabled rich-text html code, but do not appear in the rich-text, possibly due to a coding error in the generated HTML code for the attribution info.  I have seen that happen sometimes when I make an error in the HTML code I build manually.

What opsys and browser were you running when you wrote that reply ?  As I said in my earlier comment, I'm using Win 7 and Chrome.  The effect of this may vary from one browser to another.  I have not tried it in IE yet, and may later.

It's new... I'm always copying from old posts and never seen that before. OS = Vista SP2... Browser = tri-engine Avant set for Mozilla. It can also run Chrome and IE9. Nice features... like keeping all ones bookmarks in one spot. 

So another old school manual HTML builder? I have DreameaverCS6 but sometimes I have to get in there and fiddle with code. Just started doing some consulting work for a firm in Hungary, originally just a rewrite of content. But they're not happy with their site either. I've been spidering their site and going through their code as we speak... debating whether I can fix it. What a mess.... it's all the stuff I hate... JS links and iframes, dead links, bloated code... an SEO nightmare. I think I'll pass on the rebuild. I rather start from scratch. I just hope they have a contact that speaks English enough and can recode for me. 

miksilvr
This blue bar stuff and

This blue bar stuff and problems with the copy and paste appeared for the first time on Feb 26th, the same week the ads appeared in the forum pages ... I wonder if there is a connection.

Heck, I know very little about HTML, just enough to stumble through posting things here.  I made a mess of my first posts a year and a half ago.  It took me a couple of days to get the formatting characters to function in the background rather than appear with the text.  And my early attempts at line and page formatting were frustrating.

I figured out a workaround for those blue bars today that takes a few minutes ... and a little editing in the disabled rich text.  Sometimes it pays to do the paste into notepad first.  Other times you can paste into rich text then disable rich text and delete the offending HTML language for the annoying inserted line and formatting there.  It takes a couple of minutes to figure out what to delete, but once you do, it can be done.

Rather not have to deal with it, but if we must, we must.

Still wondering ... is it a problem, or a feature (as I defined earlier) ? ... my vote is for feature, but I wish it was a problem that could be fixed and done away with.

If you are looking for a spell checker, try that browser you mentioned in chrome mode.  If you have problems getting the spell check to work in disabled text mode (it does not work in rich text mode for chrome), check the chrome settings.  For some reason, they have had problems with the spell checker working if you check the box for using a web site to do the spell checking.  That first happened last summer or fall when the spell checker stopped working after a set of chrome updates.  

Art
Art's picture
I reported earlier that

I reported earlier that everything is back to normal. It's back, as of this morning, and I don't beliee that I did anything that I haven't done a million times before. Wait a minute! I am writing this post on a completely normal field. Who's that man behind the curtain?

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
miksilvr wrote:If you are

miksilvr wrote:
If you are looking for a spell checker, try that browser you mentioned in chrome mode.  If you have problems getting the spell check to work in disabled text mode (it does not work in rich text mode for chrome), check the chrome settings.

The Mozilla spellcheck works once Rich Text is disabled. Chrome might be a fine browser... I just don't trust Google and if I ever use their services I feel contaminated as I do with other sites like Yahoo who track users across the web. I have Google ads and analytics blocked at the hosts file level... and use www.startpage.com as my search engine... which apparently gets their results from Google as scroogle.com once did.

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
Art wrote: Mine turned back

Art wrote:

Mine turned back to completely normal. I hadn't been doing anything about of the ordinary, except that I have started eliminating cookies every day. 

One other thing to check into are flash "super cookies". http://www.fightidentitytheft.com/blog/new-breed-super-cookie-defies-rem... They are placed on a browser in a different manner than normal cookies and they might not be deleted by CCleaner... or perhaps the free 3ed party plugin. It's available at http://ccenhancer.en.softonic.com/ and adds 270 other programs CCleaner can clean. The first time I used it I found a huge 8gig video file left over from Adobe Premiere. 

Flash cookies can be deleted by going to

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/sett...

It's NOT an image... it's YOUR Flash Manager.

Another nice thing about the Avant browser beside having 3 engines... is it allows easy access to shutting off flash, java, or javascript. These controls are not available in the default mode but can be easily added so they're up there with Home, Bookmarks, etc. Maybe other browsers offer quick shortcuts but to get to this forum I just press t... w for wikipedia, i for IMDB etc. 

miksilvr
Art wrote: I reported earlier

Art wrote:

I reported earlier that everything is back to normal. It's back, as of this morning, and I don't beliee that I did anything that I haven't done a million times before. Wait a minute! I am writing this post on a completely normal field. Who's that man behind the curtain?

Art, the problem does not occur when you are doing new writing in the comment box.  It comes up when you do a copy and paste of something from Thom's site, from within the thread you are editing or from another.  

The most obvious way to see it happen is to copy lines from a previous comment you posted and paste them into a rich text comment box that is blank.  When you paste it, the blue bars appear with the line at the bottom that says "See more at:" and then has the link url of the thread the text was copied from.  The blue bars do not get saved, but it is hard to read what you pasted.  The "See more at:" text and the url do get saved and will display.