Those battling the Keystone XL pipeline just received some much-needed reinforcements

5 posts / 0 new

The nation’s largest nurses union – National Nurses United – has joined the fight against the toxic pipeline. As people who understand first hand the health effects of a hotter, more polluted planet, National Nurses United is in a unique position to highlight health concerns related to the pipeline.

As the organization Co-President Deborah Burger said in a statement, "Nurses care for patients every day who struggle with health crises aggravated by environmental pollution in its many forms…As a society, we need to reduce the effects of environmental factors, including climate change, that are making people sick, and endangering the future for our children. That’s why we oppose the Keystone XL pipeline."

As with any fight against entrenched, well-funded special interests like Big Oil – organized people need as much help as they can get to take on organized money. Kudos to National Nurses United for getting involved in the fight to save the planet.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

the link on this tweet is for the press release from the National Nurses United:

2/5/13 -

Check it out. Nurses lay down the law on kxl, tired of treating pollution victims!

miksilvr

My hat goes off to the nurses union for taking a stand. but could their stand backfire and become another thorn in the side of the big energy companies' side. Could it add fuel the fire in the American Legislative Exchange Counsel's ongoing fight to destroy Unions and the free speech they enjoy? I guess I might be a bit of a pessimist.

Sacramento Dave's picture
Sacramento Dave

Dave, take a deep breath and a good swig of the beverage of your persuasion. Do you think that ALEC might want to go after any and every effective agency opposing their vile agenda? Duh!

I like the nurses, just as I love the librarians and the nuns on that bus. I give a tip of the hat to Code Pink and outrageous women who don't take shit from anyone. Let ALEC target the nurses, as they will. Just make sure that you and I and others are ready to have the back of these hero women who think we are not so bad after all.

drc2

2/5/13 -

Another reason Koch-topus hates unions

miksilvr

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.