Drought means aid, and aid means giving government assistance to the 99% and that is one thing a blue dog and/or fascists doesn’t want to do when it isn’t connected with an election. And not to put to sharp a point on it, but a fascist and/or blue dog thinks the solution to a family farm with failed crops is to be gobbled up for pennies on the dollar by a corporate farm that can allocate funds between the farms it owns as cash needs warrant.
Things you might want to watch out for:
1) Does their definition of drought include any deficit in precipitation or top soil dryness brought forward from the prior measuring period?
2) What are the beginning and ending dates of the measuring period used to determine whether or not your area is in a “drought” or “severe drought”? Were they arbitrarily selected to get data that supports an understatement$ of the problem or undermine your position on getting the assistance you need?
3) Beware definitions that are based on indices that merely smooth precipitation over a number of days. For instance, say, 1 inch of rain over 10 days may be “normal” precipitation but not if .90 inches came in the first 10 minutes of day 1 only to run off leaving behind a measly .10 inches or rain absorbed. Then considers how much good it does ya if the temperatures spikes and the remaining 0.1 inches of rain due for your 9 days remaining in your average comes in four evenly spaced mini rains of 0.025 inches each!?!
4) Does their measure include the desiccating effects of pro-longed above average temperatures? It has been the hottest spring on record and the recent heat wave didn’t help matters. Just look at your own garden – do you need to water more or less when the temperature outside is near 100 degrees F?
5) Do they cite a finding of “drought”, “mild drought” or “modest drought” determined by another organization? Is this organization truly independent or does it have a political agenda? Who funds them or otherwise has material control over their output? Beware very careful of Universities, “think tanks”, “foundations” and the like. What does a survey of several findings of “drought” from more than one organization tell you? Did the fascist or blue dog pick and choose a report or finding that understates the problem.
6) Is the determination of “drought” based solely on precipitation or did someone actually go out and inspect the soil and terrain of the specific and exact land in question. Different soils dry out faster than others. The depth of soil can matter, as shallow top soil will dry faster. Different fields and even entire farms can have different exposures to the sun that can make drying worse (for instance a south facing slope that gets a full day of direct sun).
Get the assistance your tax dollars paid for! Wall Street sure as hell did!
And remember now with Exxon CEO admitting that burning fossil fuel is causing climate FUBAR the narrative is going to change a little. And it looks like it is going to be something like “yea, but it is not that bad” [and if they say it is then its because somebody is making money] or “people will adapt” and of course there is the “yea but profit opportunities in the free market (aka corporations) will save us from the bad effects”. They will also continue their efforts to keep damage reports out of the Oligrach\State Run media like they did with BP and Colorado wildfires.