- Curtis Coleman, GOP Candidate for U.S. Senate running against Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-AR).
- Bill McKibben, Environmentalist, Founder of 350.org, author of numerous books including the forthcoming "Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet".
- Carrie Lukas of the Independent Women's Forum.
- Professor Herb Boyd, FSTV special correspondent, activist, journalist, teacher and author; Managing Editor of The Black World Today.
- Dr. Ron Daniels, President of the Institute of the Black World 21st Century and Founder of the Haiti Support Project.
- Does Mr. Coleman wish to apologize to Arkansas's holocaust survivors? Embryonic Stem Cell Research...same as what the "Nazis did to the Jews?"
- Isn't using the DC snow storms to debunk global warming the real Snowmageddon?
- William Yeatman, Energy Policy Analyst at the Competitive Enterprise Institute.
- Blizzards and global climate change
- "Male domination has brought us 7 years of war, isn't it time to try something else?"
- Update live from Haiti.
- Bumper Music:
- Used To, Chris Daughtry.
- It's Not Over, Chris Daughtry.
- Re-Arranged, Limp Bizkit.
- Amen, Kid Rock.
- What I Want, Chris Daughtry.
- Waiting On The World To Change, John Mayer.
- Crashed, Chris Daughtry.
- Grand Canyon, Dmitriy Lukyanov (you need to search for it) (with additional sounds by Jacob).
- Democracy, Leonard Cohen.
- Today's newsletter has details of today's guests and links to the major stories and alerts that Thom covered in the show, plus lots more. If you haven't signed up for the free newsletter yet, please do. If you missed today's newsletter, it is in the archive.
- Quote: ”Humans remain entirely atmosphere dependent, so there is no choice but to respond to extreme climatic behaviour and its many effects." -- Peter Garrett.
"You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale, and I won't have it! Is that clear? You think you've merely stopped a business deal. That is not the case! The Arabs have taken billions of dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back! It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity! It is ecological balance! You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and YOU...WILL...ATONE!"
From the movie "Network" (1976).
"Am I getting through to you, Mr. Beale? You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about America and democracy. There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM, and ITT, and AT&T, and DuPont, Dow, Union Carbide, and Exxon. Those *are* the nations of the world today. What do you think the Russians talk about in their councils of state, Karl Marx? They get out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments, just like we do. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr. Beale. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The world is a business, Mr. Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, Mr. Beale, to see that . . . perfect world . . . in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality. One vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock. All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused. And I have chosen you, Mr. Beale, to preach this evangel. "
From the movie "Network" (1976).
- Member of the day was Ruffian, who won a copy of "Walking Your Blues Away: How to Heal the Mind and Create Emotional Well-Being" for blogging:
Remember, in the 80’s, when it was popular to trash teachers in favor of business men? We would say, Those who can do and those who can’t teach. Well, i went to the bank and they are so bad, i want a revision. Those who can do and those who can’t become Banksters.
- Case: Justice J Stevens, dissent, CITIZENS UNITED v. FEDERAL ELECTION.
"If taken seriously, our colleagues’ assumption that the identity of a speaker has no relevance to the Government’s ability to regulate political speech would lead to some remarkable conclusions. Such an assumption would have accorded the propaganda broadcasts to our troops by “Tokyo Rose” during World War II the same protection as speech by Allied commanders. More pertinently, it would appear to afford the same protection to multinational corporations controlled by foreigners as to individual Americans."