Recent comments

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

I just sent a donation to the Southern Poverty Law Center in honor of Stephen Tyrone Johns. Sending a donation to ANY anti-discriminaton group would be a way to support groups that work so hard to end these hate mongering groups.

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

i emial newt asking him if i need to be a christian to be a member of the republican party. no aswer yet

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

I think that evidence is showing what many of us believed years ago, that Bush and the Bush Administration are two distinct entities with more than two different agendas.

Thom,

The position you stated who is responsible for 911 isn't going to satisfy people who support the thermite and no plane at the Pentagon scenarios. In fact, the point you raised undermines those scenarios.

If multiple governments, intelligence agencies and the Clinton administration were warning the Bush administration that a major terrorist attack was coming, what were they telling them? Were they telling them that the Bush administration was going to attack the United States? That doesn't make sense, does it?

Among the claims that have been put 911 was an inside job is the claim that John Ashcroft stopped taking commercial airline flights around 2 months before 911. Ashcroft denied that he stopped taking commercial flights when asked about it at the 911 commission hearings.

But let's say that it's true that Ashcroft had stopped using commercial flights 2 months before 911. Doesn't that indicate that he (or whoever warned him) didn't know when the attack was going to happen and which flights were going to be hijacked? Maybe they'll say that it was an inside job but Ashcroft wasn't into it.

Recently there have been reports about how panicked and disorganized the administration was after 911. We all remember how Bush sat in the classroom looking stupid after being told about the attack. Why would they be panicked and disorganized if they were behind it. I would think that if the Bush administration was behind 911 and it was done, in part, to gain political capital, they would have had Bush spring into action looking heroic rather than sit on his ass and then go into hiding.

YAH PAY DUES!
    The bottom line of these cult-like organizations is to raise money!
    Keep people ignorant, fill them with fear, then channel all that anxiety into to creating hateful attitudes that blames others for all the difficulties in their lives.
    The REAL threat to these groups is education, ignorance is the cornerstone to their control over their followers.

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

a story my mom shared with me about granma during the depression was that if people where coming to the door asking for food she would feed them. granma would say if i have at least a piece of bread i can share.

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

A strange futuristic question.

When will the police say "You should have not been born that way."

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

The discussion this hour shows how people can so differently internalize the same input (in this case information about the shooting yesterday and your description). In your discussion with Mr. Vadum, he seemed to me to be assuming the mantle of "right-wing extremist" for himself and he was totally unable to just see the term in an objective way. When the caller responded, he seems to have become effectively terrorized at even the thought of the idea domestic terrorism.

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

That guest, Matt, who characterized the KKK as a bunch of washed up drunks living in their Grandma’s basement is true NOW!
    ONLY because the work of Morris Dees & the Southern Poverty Law Center suing the KKK and bankrupting them into oblivion!

These racist white men are just so terrified of reality that they will be the in the minority, by both race & gender, within a generation. I guess they believe they will be treated the same way THEY have treated minority races themselves. They are driven by the fear of Karmic Payback!

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

Maybe it's just me. I'm beginning to think that America's wealthiest work from the position that, perhaps by divine right, ALL the money is THEIRS! It's common these days at corporate board meetings to refer to any opportunity to make a profit that was not pursued (for whatever reason) as money LOST.

Just 'cause that dollar is in your pocket NOW, doesn't mean that it doesn't really belong to KBR!

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

people must take respondsability in the words they use. how we frame the debates. it would be great for america if bill o reilly would come out and say he understood this. i feel everything in life is causality. we make causes through are words , thoughts and actions.

B Roll,
    Thank you for your stand.
    My take on what Thom said was not that suffering is good but challenges can be. I think kids today aren't given enough opportunity to find satisfaction and success absent material abundance. The common remark I hear from my parents [great depression] generation is that "we didn't have much, but we had each other and that was more than enough."
    Sadly, one of the side effects of the technological revolution is that people today don't need to be in each others presence to share information. Young people today can't read body language or physical clues and have little empathy because they don't spend physical time with each other.

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

I think the big difference between Bush haters and Obama haters is this:
    When Bush was President, he made it abundantly clear that he was not everyone's President. Those who disagreed with his positions were labeled as unpatriotic or un-American--that made patriotic Americans justifiably angry. Obama has tried time and again to represent a wide spectrum of Americans---he has made it clear that he is everyone's President. He doesn't vilify those who disagree with his positions, he actually bring them to the table. This makes Obama haters seem a bit nutty (and it makes true Progressives more than a little frustrated.)

Thom,

I can see how facing difficulties when one is growing up can make a person more resilient. On the other hand, aren’t there difficulties that children shouldn’t experience? And don’t you think that difficulties are disproportionately distributed based on factors like geography, race, gender and ethnicity?

Does anyone need to toughen up by being hungry or homeless? It seems to me that children that experience extreme hunger and homelessness don’t grow up to be successful adults.

Even with a world population approaching 7 billion, we still have the ability to ensure that no one (child or adult) should have to endure hunger, homelessness or the lack of clean water.

There will always be challenges in life. Not everything will come easy to everyone and people have to work to progress as individuals.

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

Thom, this is off topic.
    Thanks for your book the Edison Gene. I as born in 1948 and used to joke that if the ADHD conversation had been around when I was in school I would have been drugged to the max. Turns out to be true. I had parents who supported me even when I told them, at 15, that I wanted to be a professional artist. I am to this day, sculptor, jeweler, musician. This gives me the latitude to be interested in everything and incorporate it in my profession.
    I have always thought that "bohemians" have been a fairly constant percentage of any population in any era. Any research that shows a correlation between the Edison gene and "Bohemianism"?
    Thank you for the quality and evenhandedness of the dialog you promote.

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

Thom, Would you please remind anyone who mentions "eco terrorism" that while some groups have destroyed property, and that is wrong, none have ever killed a single human being.

Thom,

Mark Potak said that the growth of the right wing hate groups has been centered around immigration.

Now when your right wing guests mention immigration and at other times as well, you've been eager to inform them that your position on illegal immigration is that we have to starve the illegal immigrants out, because we don't have an illegal worker problem, we have an illegal employer problem.

Was it just an oversight that you didn't share that view with Mark Potak. After all, last week, you proudly bragged that your position on immigration is closer to uncle Pat Buchanan than to the the position of most liberal talkers.

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

Seems that our "friends" on the right are having a problem with the defecit. "It's gone way too high," they say, "we are mortgaging our children's futures!"

Am I mistaken, or wasn't lesson #1 of Reaganomics "Defecits don't matter?"

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

I find myself having trouble with Republican and Democratic politicians who seem consumed by ensuring that health insurance companies do not have to compete competitively . . .

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

I'm writing to respond to yesterday's overall theme of calling our Congresscritters and letting them know about our support for the Public Option, if not Single Payer.

I live in Kansas. All of my Congressmen are Republicans. I called anyway.

When I got through, I asked the nice person on the other end of the phone if they knew whether or not that Congressman supported "Patient's Choice" in health care. Two said "yes", while the third, I guess I was stumbling over my words, which only served to confuse them. I then pointed out that, as a patient, MY choice would be the ability to buy into the Public Option, if not full-on Single Payer. And, of course, I stressed the need for the plan to be comprehensive, so I wouldn't have to "go fishing" for two or three other policies elsewhere just to cover everything.

There were no arguments or confrontations, and in every instance, they took my comments down, and I should hope, will pass them on.

And that's it. They're pushing the notion of Patient's Choice, and I let'em know that MY choice is the Public Option, if not Single Payer.

Take care, y'all!

Wildcat

• June 10 2009 Wednesday   10 years 18 weeks ago

The problems with SSI, VA and other programs is that they are intentionally underfunded by Republicans. (Okay, that is simplistic but you get the idea). In Texas, for example, we have a pretty good program for those with mental retardation. The only problem is, there is a 10 year waiting list. Want Medicaid, well, if you need it for a nursing home, it is a 4 month wait. If you need it for Assisted Living, it is about 1.5 years. The list goes on. It is not the fault of the program, it is a fault of the funding.

Thom,

You have probably seen by now the video of Liz Cheney denying President Bush ever suggested bring Gitmo detainees to the U.S. for trial in the U.S. court system.

So I posted the video of him saying just that (June 21, 2006)

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

The Daily Show has ramped up its ridicule of the "Main Stream Media". They had a hilarious segment last night where Jon Stewart takes on Joe Scarborough for the third straight show, mocking his credibility. In the second segment Jason Jones takes a behind the scenes tour of the NY Times. It’s really biting stuff. I thought it worth mentioning since Scarborough was just on your show. I’m so sick of all the mindless conjecture. Our society really needs to bring back the news and eliminate infotainment all together.

• THOM ON FIXED NEWS   10 years 18 weeks ago

Richard,

Can you please explain then why Air America and Thom have such a small audience and have to fight for ad support?

• June 11th 2009 Thursday   10 years 18 weeks ago

I suppose you would have to walk in Thom’s shoes to know life on his side of the tracks; my guess is that life is pretty damn good. I give Thom credit, however, for fighting for the common man, like Charles Foster Kane. When asked by his Wall Street patron why he was upsetting his own applecart, Kane replied that someone with money had to look out for people without money, because he didn’t want them to turn on him.

Thom has disturbed me again by suggesting that if wasn’t for the “old dinosaurs” in this country, there would be no racism. This after he talked about the rise of far-right political parties in Europe feeding on nationalistic and racist paranoia. Thom seems to be suggesting that the ADL and SPLC are lying in recent reports that show a dramatic increase in the number of hate groups in this country over the past eight years , even during times of alleged prosperity, in part riding the wave of anti-Latino sentiment. The recent killings in Pennsylvania and Long Island that occurred in an atmosphere of racial hate fueled by local officials and the media cannot be passed off as mere “coincidence.”

I’d hate to think that Thom and his listeners are fooled by the fact that since there are not currently widespread lynchings in this country that bigotry is waning in this country. It isn’t. Besides the ADL and SPLC exposes, a study last month reported that there are as many as 10,000 sites promoting race hate on the web with millions of hits daily; many of these sites target young people, and have infiltrated YouTube, Facebook and other popular websites. Why would anyone check-out hate sites if they did not want to read or hear something along the lines of their own thoughts?

The Tacoma News-Tribune printed the following “letter to the editor” from someone with a very Irish name who quoted the following Irish poem, reflecting his thoughts concerning the Sonia Sotomayor nomination:

“May those who love us love us.
    And those who don’t love us,
    May God turn their hearts
    And if He doesn’t turn their hearts,
    May he turn their ankles.
    So we’ll know them by their limping.”

Is this guy “subtle” or what? Either he’s been listening to too much Limbaugh and Gingrich, or he’s just your typical low-level Irish bigot; yeah, I remember that photograph of a black lawyer being held by those Irish Bostonians while another was planting that flag pole in his belly.

Discrimination, of course, is the silent partner in all of this; a president, popular athletes and entertainers do not disguise the dark underbelly of real life. African-American unemployment has historically been twice that of their white counterparts, but as high as it is doesn’t tell the whole story: incarceration, homelessness, dropping out and “working” on the street places the jobless rate at least double that. Perhaps some people also recall the Texaco case, when executives denied they were discriminating against minorities until a manager taped a meeting where they discussed their efforts to cover it up. The whistleblower was later charged with illegal wiretapping.

Because of what Thom said, I began to wonder if he was going to try to marginalize Brian Tackett as someone who is “evidence” that hate groups are fighting a “losing” battle, rather than someone who realized that sitting in prison was no way to live one’s life. But the fight against hate goes on, largely because of attempts to marginalize the perpetrators and pretend they don’t exist. It was reported back in February that residents of a Nashville neighborhood received KKK leaflets inserted in their mail circulars, reminding them of the “ongoing” race war; these leaflets could only have been inserted by an employee or employees of the company that put together and distributed the circulars.

Come Cruise with Thom Hartmann in July 2020

Join me for an exciting Bermuda getaway aboard Oceania Cruises, the world’s leading culinary and destination-focused cruise line. Set sail on the reimagined Insignia for 7 nights beginning July 25th 2020. Take advantage of Oceania Cruises’ OLife Choice promotion, where you can choose shore excursions, a beverage package, or onboard credit – Oceania Cruises also includes Wifi! You'll also receive complimentary gratuities, a $50 onboard credit and two exclusive cocktail parties. Did I mention we are planning special onboard events with yours truly? Prices start at $1199.

Reserve your stateroom today by contacting Keene Luxury Travel, and mention the Thom Hartmann Group 800.856.1155

or go to https://www.keeneluxurytravel.com/th-bermuda/default.asp

The Supreme Court Broke Politics - How Do We Now Reform the Supreme Court?

Thom plus logo We complain about the state of American politics; about a mentally ill billionaire in the White House and a Republican Party crawling with hustlers and conmen, and a few in the Democratic Party as well. The complaints are legitimate, but most people don't realize why the situation is as bad as it is.