July 11-13: At Netroots Nation

The Hidden History of Guns and the 2nd Amendment Book Tour Is Coming...

• Saturday, June 22: Los Angeles, CA 3:00pm - KPFK Speaker Series: Thom Hartmann (Stephanie Miller will be joining Thom) on The Hidden History of Guns. UCLA Dodd Hall 147, 315 Portola Plaza, Los Angeles - Get tkts here https://www.facebook.com/events/2263735727213646/
  • Sunday, June 23: SEATTLE, WA 7:30pm
    Location: Town Hall, 1119 8th Ave, Seattle (West Entrance) w/Elliott Bay Book Company
  • Tuesday, June 25: SAN FRANCISCO, CA 7:00pm
    Location: First Church, 2345 Channing Way, Berkeley w/The Booksmith
    Here’s the Facebook event:https://www.facebook.com/events/2418269571727663/And here’s the link to purchase tickets: https://hiddenhistoryofguns.bpt.me/
  • Friday, June 28: CHICAGO, IL 7:00pm
    Location: Frugal Muse, 7511 Lemont Rd. #146 (Chestnut Court Shopping Center), Darien
  • Saturday, June 29: MINNEAPOLIS, MN 7:00pm
    Location: Common Good Books, 38 S. Snelling Ave, St. Paul
  • Friday, July 12: PHILADELPHIA, PA 4:15pm - At Netroots Nation
    Location: PA Convention Center, 1101 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA

Become a Thom Supporter- Click the Patreon button

Recent comments

Hi Thom. :)

Couple of things.

1. My very sincerest condolences about the loss of your mom. Many big hugs. If I weren't broke and unemployed, I'd contribute to the fund you mentioned (sorry, I can't remember the name tho you just mentioned it).

2. Re: Hate Crime legislation. First, I'm all for it. I would submit that those against the bill are those who are afraid of it. They seem to be applying a kind of reverse McCarthyism: guilt by association. Seems to me that they may view this Hate Crimes bill as an attack on their own guilt, their own hatred. Like fear-mongering about the H1N1 virus, they're overreacting. But bigotry isn't a rational view, so that's probably to be expected. Sadly.

Relatedly: While the Hate Crimes legislation includes "gender" in the bill, I would submit that crimes against women are every bit a hate crime as they are against race, homosexuality, gender identification, and religious affiliation. While there is violence done against men by women, it's defense and retaliation, not reverse misogynism--in that it has been forced on women by a male-dominated culture. We live in a Patriarchal culture, which devalues and dehumanizes women as a core principle. Until that is rectified, and until our society moves into an egalitarian system (and I grant that may take a 1,000 years since the removal and subjugation of Matriarchal systems didn't happen overnight), crimes against women will never be accepted as a hate crime.

We're heading in the right direction, however. I am heartened by the Hate Crimes bill. There may yet be hope for us. And I agree with the woman caller you had on today who said that we need this bill as a tool to root out the accepted and tolerated bigotry. It's also why I think a federal law declaring homosexuals are equal under the law is required. Leaving that up to voters, bigoted voters, would be as disastrous as leaving it up to voters on interracial marriage. It's absurd. Civil Rights laws were passed to force people out of their bigotry. A "gay law" (for lack of a better slang term) is just as required. A hate crime bill is a step in the right direction. And perhaps in five or ten years' time, I hope that we get a law that federally protects the LGBT community in every way, not just with crime.

Dear Thom,

I couldn't get through because of a curt and unduly preemptive call-screener. I had wanted to share 2 comments, one small and the other a bit bigger. The small comment is that I was very pleased to hear President Obama call the funds that the car companies got from the government what they are; tax payer money. Pardon the pun but thank you Obama for calling a spade a spade.
    The bigger comment is this. For 3 years now I've listened to your show and Air America, and I get angry every time I hear the phrase "the war against the middle-class". I'm reminded of the story of the priest in Hitler's Germany. When the SS came for the gypsies, he said nothing because he wasn't a gypsy. When the SS came for the homosexuals, he said nothing because he wasn't gay. And when they finally came for him, there was no one left to say anything for him because he didn't speak up for his "brothers" when he could. I've been lower-class (i.e. poor) all my life. I don't resent this as it has taught me great fortitude, humility and gratitude for the things I do have. But, from a global perspective, I have felt for decades that if the middle-class had done more for the lower-class in the 60's, 70's, 80's and/or the 90's, instead of concentrating on trying to join the so called upper-class, then they wouldn't be fighting a rear-guard action on their assets now. The middle-class is just now getting a taste of what I've feasted on my whole life. I've never had medical insurance a single day in my life, but folks didn't erupt until their own insurance was threatened. The same holds true for jobs, education, housing and so many other parts of American society. And the sad part is that we can be so much better than this. We have the potential. We just need to wake up and grow up.
    All one. Take care, Anna (Portland,OR)

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

Is this the chatroom or is that someplace else and where?

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

Bigotry needs to be extracted from our institutions. If we had a sufficient federal 'hate-crime' law, that would work to set a benchmark against bigotry in law.

I think school segregation could even be considered another version of a hate-crime; and unequal pay based on gender, or denial of civil rights to gays, anti-worker outsourcing practices -- these too are cultural bigotry enforced by/in our institutions to keep bigotry alive. Exposing this is what the bigots fear, and they do not want a benchmark hate-crime law passed that will change the national acceptence of bigotry throughout our culture!

RE: Corporate "PERSONHOOD"

I like your post, Frank Smathers@10:2AM. Excellent.

Something sure needs to be done. The laws licensing and regulating corporations need to be overhauled and made more stringent because the corporations are out-of-control to the point of fascism. We need to jettison corporate personhood altogether. But in the meantime, I go for your suggestion.

One of the big things that irks me about the corporate 'personhood' sham, is that it permits individuals who make corporate decisions to do all sorts of immoral stuff and hide behind the 'personhood' of their corporation. When someone challenges the activities/deeds/failures of a corporation, the challenge should apply to BOTH the corporate business entity AND the executives who made the coroporate decisions.

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

I loved seeing the Stanford Students asking Condeleeza Rice the tough questions that the main stream media won't. These confrontations will become more common now due to the widespread use of the digital cell phone camera and the proliferation of YouTube. I look forward to seeing more of these "truth sessions" on YouTube in the future.

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

South African president Jacob Zuma says we don't need condoms, it is sufficient to just shower after sex. The Pope says the use of condoms increases AIDs. Now we possibly find ourselves at the beginning of a flu pandemic. I can't help wondering, if these guys are right..., should we outlaw kleenex?

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

Doesn't the whole deal come down to one basic question -

Do we want the banks to control the government
    or ...
    Do we want the government to control the banks?

If corporations have been granted "personhood" - essentially a form of US citizenship - shouldn't they be required to reside in the US and have all their assets within the borders of the United States? In other words, if most of their business is located outside the US - are they truly US citizens - or are they really global corporations masquerading as US companies to qualify for "personhood?"

• Our Schlindler’s List?   10 years 6 weeks ago

Hi Matt, this is my first post on Thom's site. I have been listening to him for about 3 year and I am just signing up and posting. for the first time. Here is the link to the Bush speech http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2009/04/22/memories.aspx

I utterly agree with Thom that we will one day be referred to in the same breath as other countries that sanctioned torture. It is truly a un-forgivable degradation to the moral status of America and we owe it to the world to prosecute the perpetrators of this heinous international crime.

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

To me Condoleeza Rice being questioned by Standford students is the "under the radar" story of the week. What are everyone's thoughts on that?

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

I did get to speak to Sen Sanders this morning but didn't get my full question out.
    Sen Sanders said the banks were committing illegal acts. My question is, "THEN WHERE IS CONGRESS?" If they know of illegal activities it is their duty to investigate. Course, this will probably go the way of the torture issue. Torture is not a debate. It is criminal & war criminals should be investigated.

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

I would like to hear Bernie's opinion on Tim Geithner. This morning on Tom Ashbooks's show Jack Beatty had some pretty negative things to say about Geithner. The tenor was that Geithner is a pawn of the financial companies, and thus unfit for the job he has been given. Thanks.

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

Want to know which hedge funds deserted Chrysler? Here's the info:

Update: JPMorgan Chase may have been willing to deal. It was a couple of hedge funds that were the final holdouts.

The holdouts are no longer the big four banks (and TARP recipients) that together own 70 percent of Chrysler's debt. Both the Journal and the Washington Post have fingered three hedge funds -- Oppenheimer Funds, Perella Weinberg Partners' Xerion Capital Fund and Stairway Cap Management -- as the sticklers. The government is faced with the unenviable prospect of getting unanimous consent from all the bondholders to make a deal, which gives the hedge funds extraordinary leverage. In the parlance of Wall Street, taking a hit on what you are owed is known as a "haircut." The hedge funds seem to be allergic to the barbershop.

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

Max Keiser slays the corporatist overlords that run this country and confirms Thom's "theory" on the hedge funds auto industry cannibalists

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

How can all of "The Best And The Brightest" students be educated for productive roles in society? It is they, who must cooperate, and quickly and reliably respond, in times of crisis, and with the best answers! IMO, our greatest crisis as a society, may be our lack of international friends?

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 6 weeks ago

Thom is Brilliant, and Bernie is such a breath of fresh air every Friday afternoon.
    I've deicded and curious if us Thom listeners can start a new phrase.
    As that idiot Hannity calls people who fail to look at facts and join his garbage spewing rants " Hannitized".

Perhaps we can call people who actually are intelligent, and look at factual evidence "Hartmanneducated!"
    I realize Thom isn't as Egotistical as "Sean Vanity" however :)

We could also push to change Fox News channel to Fox Entertainment channel :)

Can't wait to hear the show, read the new book, and continue to spread the word about Hartmann! Thanks for everything you and your listeners do Thom and Bernie!!

• Will Obama Reboot Capitalism Anew?   10 years 6 weeks ago

tracey darling - Are you aware of what proportion of tax the top 1% pay in federal income taxes? For the tax year 2006, the top 1% of income earners paid 39.89% of all federal income taxes. For the same year, the top 5% of earners provided 60.14% of all federal income taxes. The bottom 50% shouldered 2.99% of the burden.

So how exactly are "the rich" not paying their fair share?

• Our Schlindler’s List?   10 years 7 weeks ago

Hey everyone, I just signed up! I have been looking and can not find the transcript of the George Bush speech on torture Thom quoted today. I believe the date of the speech was June 26 2003. If anyone has a link to it I thank you.

• April 30th 2009 Thursday   10 years 7 weeks ago

In corporate management, we’re fond of saying “If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.” We measure customer satisfaction, budget to expenditures, progress towards deadlines, quarterly earnings, and much more.

As I heard about more people being sent home from work today at Chrysler (the latest additions to the burgeoning rolls of the unemployed, under-employed, and “furloughed”), it gave me an idea: Let’s measure something else. Let’s measure what we’re not doing. Let’s measure the effects of idleness on production. For starters, now that so many are unemployed, simply think of the idle man-power we aren’t putting to use, the collective education residing in the hundreds of thousands of unemployed people we aren’t leveraging. Think of the creativity we aren’t tapping, the problems we aren’t solving, the bridges we aren’t reinforcing, the power grid we aren’t attending to, the waterlines we’re letting deteriorate, the inventions we aren’t inventing, the research we aren’t doing. What a waste of human potential. If we measured it, we’d have something to correct, something against which to measure progress.

At the moment, some people have a vague sense we should be inventing, producing, thinking, manufacturing, servicing. But without hard numbers, how will we know when we’re improving or getting worse? I’m not suggesting this is an easy metric, but we have an entire quadrant of the government enraptured with gyrating numbers (GAAP, FASB). A little creativity, a fancy calculator, and who knows?

But seriously, the recovery of the economy depends on the one thing we aren’t doing: Making the most of our human potential. Instead we’re sending it home without a paycheck. We won’t see our citizenry as producers (rather than consumers) until we start measuring the effects of and the ways in which we produce (construct, cure, invent, research, serve)—or don’t (as now)—rather than the effects of and the ways in which we consume.

• Will Obama Reboot Capitalism Anew?   10 years 7 weeks ago

Thom,

Our (United States) economic problems are rooted in need to adjust into a workable world economy based upon true entrepreneurial capitalism rather than the predatory version that presently rules the world system. We need a universal currency and a standardized labor value world wide. With a universally accepted labor/management/owner bill of rights based upon the best of any system now in existence, most of the economic problems that face the world, the United States included, would be solved. Anything less than this is only a patch to a global problem.

Anyone who has observed the economic challenges being faced by the European Union would know that the United States is struggling with similar economic problems. They would also observe that the EU constitution is a modern version of our own constitution. We both have the the right "rules on the side of the barn" (Orwell's, Animal Farm). We just need to apply them, and ask the rest of the world to follow the example.

• May 1 2009 Friday   10 years 7 weeks ago

from senator:
    U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) today made the following statement regarding the President's announcement concerning Chrysler:
    "Like families and workers across Michigan, I am disheartened by today's news. It's outrageous that after workers, management, and a majority of bondholders came to the table and negotiated in good faith, a small number of hedge funds and creditors refused to compromise and now Chrysler is forced to declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
    "I am confident that Chrysler will emerge from bankruptcy, with its strategic partner Fiat, as a revitalized, viable company. Also, I am gratified that the deal announced today will protect the health care and pension benefits of our auto workers and retirees. Yet, we understand that there will be more pain to come for people in Michigan. The White House has committed to helping workers who lose their jobs and the communities that are affected. I am focused on working with the President to bring tangible assistance that those families and communities need to survive this turmoil. And I will fight to keep as many jobs in Michigan as possible and preserve our communities.
    "For those on Capitol Hill and Wall Street who don't seem to understand what this crisis is all about, I'm here to tell them that it's about people. It's about families. It's about communities and jobs. This is about saving our manufacturing base. I understand that we're fighting to preserve our way of life in Michigan, advance the middle-class in America, and rebuild the backbone of our economy.
    "The global economic crisis has demonstrated that we must build things in America. I will work every day to make that happen and create jobs here at home." - U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow

• April 30th 2009 Thursday   10 years 7 weeks ago

In hindsight I should have liquidated my entire life/retirement savings in 2007 when I boarded the following commercial airline:
    AIR CANADA #4623
    Operated by UNITED EXPRESS
    division of UNITED AIRLINES
    for SHUTTLE AMERICA
    a subsidiary of REPUBLIC AIRLINES

I am not making this up!

• April 30th 2009 Thursday   10 years 7 weeks ago

From V Foxx website: (excepts)
    “During this time of considerable economic uncertainty, misleading our state’s senior citizens—many living on fixed incomes—into making a donation to ‘save’ their future Social Security is not only morally abhorrent, but it also seems legally suspect,” Rep. Foxx wrote to Attorney General Cooper.
    The same group that sent the Social Security letter, Council of Seniors, was recently cited by the Indiana Attorney General for sending deceptive fundraising appeals to households in Indiana.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would seem that Viginia is against SOME hate crimes. Still, I plan to write and chastise her for speaking so lightly of a horrendous crime (Matthew Shepherd). We have seen this and beheadings from young people who think that hate is ok!
    Virginia Foxx
    Washington, D.C. Office
    1230 Longworth House Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20515
    Phone: (202) 225-2071 Fax: (202) 225-2995
    North Carolina District Offices
    6000 Meadowbrook Mall, Suite 3
    Clemmons, N.C. 27012
    Phone: (336) 778-0211 Fax: (336) 778-2290 Toll Free: 1(866) 677-8968
    240 Hwy 105 Extension, Suite 200
    Boone, N.C. 28607
    Phone: (828) 265-0240 Fax: (828) 265-0390

• April 30th 2009 Thursday   10 years 7 weeks ago

Jeff, unfortunately, she's still a little too goofy (and scary) to ignore yet!

Thom, you and your mom are often in my thoughts. (A very dear and beloved member of my family suffered with the same disease.) I have been reading interesting articles about new Alzheimer's and diabetes research and therapies. Here's one example:

Potential New Drug Target For Diabetes, Alzheimer's Disease

Now for something completely different:

Louise, I listen to the show over the internet. At the end of every show, I hear a wonderful snippet of music. It's always interesting and I always wish I could hear the entire piece! (It seems like a delightful "thin mint" after Thom's huge cerebral "meal.")

• April 30th 2009 Thursday   10 years 7 weeks ago

Regarding Michelle Bachman and the Cons:

First we fought you, now we laugh at you, then we will ignore you, then we will win.

Sign Up For The Thom Hartmann Newsletter Now

• Discover the Videos of the Day
  • Get The Daily Stack - Each & Every Article that Is Researched for the Program
  • Read Thom's Daily Blog

Here's what the feud and reconciliation between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson can teach us about civility

Thom plus logo Donald Trump did not invent the art of the political insult but he's inflamed the level of vitriolic public discourse and incivility to a new low unmatched by other presidents. In a tainted tradition that has permeated our history, other presidents have not been immune to dishing out acerbic insults against one another.