WHY I AM ASKING FOR YOUR SUPPORT AT PATREON?

Your support of the program is invaluable. Producing the Thom Hartmann Program is a labor of love for the team, but doesn't come without cost. We supply the program to non-profit, community and volunteer radio and cable stations across the US. However, this isn't cost-free and being a supporter through Patreon means you can help us to meet some of the bills, to allow us to continue free supply to the non-profit sector.

As a way of saying thank you, we would like to give you something back for your support at various levels. Every weekday, the live Thom Hartmann Program three hour program is recorded exclusively for Patreon supporters. Unedited, the full three-hour video will be right here on the Patreon page, within a couple of hours of the end of the live program. And we're also providing extra videos exclusive to sponsors.
Sponsor Special: How to Stop Your Food From Killing You. The American diet is now killing more people than high blood pressure and smoking

Become a Thom Supporter- Click the Patreon button

Recent comments

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

Deists do not worship nature. They believe observing and studying nature one can infer certain things about "God" [powerful, intelligent, etc.]. Furthermore, deist believe that this "God" has not and does not intervene in human affairs. After the creation of humans, animals, etc., this creator left us to our own devices. Therefore, holy books, prophets, etc are all things of human construct and not "divine".

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

I would argue atheism as an "ism", as a philosophical belief, and therefor a religion, even if it is a belief in "nothing". While there seems to be a lot of distaste for religion and the result of the misuse of its power, a person should still be able to choose whatever belief system they need to figure out their existance as best they can.

Its not the people who practice the religions who are (generally) responsible for the misuse of this power, its the charasmatic leaders who take advantage of the people who have caused the most damage in our history. There is a fundamental intolerance in the bridge of modern societies' religion that we have to "heal" if we are to get over our bad selves and get beyond getting so angry and righteous over something no one can prove or disprove.

Stop saying what I believe is stupid and flawed, and I'll stop telling you how wrong you are. Its this arguing that is so damaging.

Also. . .
    Anyone who has had a spiritual experience would understand that religion has nothing to do with it. God is too big to put in a religious box, religion should be seen as a metaphorical way of trying to understand what we would think God as being, and definitely not literal.

What is the defintion of "Faith"? In Jesus? Or a particular kind of "God"? Just curious as I don't beleive I experience faith. I'm more spiritual and just can't get into the structure of religion. So I suppose I am misguided?

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

I just arrived here on what I believe is the "Live Blog." The times of other comments seem off a bit...
    At any rate, can someone tell me how to get to the chat room! I have tried so many times to get into the old chat, but my old username and password aren't working.
    I clearly have a "new" account as well...but I CANNOT find the "new" chat room that is supposed to be in Thom's Community!!!
    I beg that someone patient, kind, and knowledgable on this matter may assist me - please! :-)
    I may be e-mailed at Brendan4816@yahoo.com. Thank you for any suggestions you may have!
    Peace

Question I'd Ask Chris Hedges:

Do you find nihilistic worldview and atheisim are cut of the same cloth?

RE: The head-to-head between Hitchens and Hartmann

This discussion was simultaneously interesting and frustrating. Thanks to the callers afterward, it was brought closer to being understandable.

I think what causes my frustration when I've heard Thom plunge into these discussions (he had one a while back with Chris Hedges on atheism), he seems unaware of all the threads involved in the topic.

For instance, today there was use of the word religion without a definition of religion clarified. Also, there was acknowledgement that TOXIC religions have developed, yet there was no definition/clarification of that toxicity or how it came about.

Here's my submission: Religions take beliefs, spiritual practices and mystical experience and turn those into a commodity/business. Religions are 1/ contained, 2/ hierarchy-fied (priesthood and followers and unbelievers (heretics)), 3/ politicized, 4/ money-fied, 5/ dogma-fied beliefs, spiritual practices, and human propensity for the mystical.

Once the priesthood steps into the realm of concretizing these into dogma (including those dangerous 'fundamentals' which lie at the heart of fundamentalism), they give birth to INTOLERANCE and the TOXICITY is endemic.

Some religions get there in baby steps: Christianity was a cult, a seed of a religion until the Roman Empire Oligarchs decided to adopt and use it to make their empire HOLY as in The Holy Roman Empire! And we must give Mohammed credit for his initial attempt to create a tolerant religion, one that brought tolerance of diverse peoples and religions, tribal rivalries and protections for women; however those aspects came to be quickly eclipsed by Mohammed's challenge to survive rather than be martyred by the Arab Oligarchy and (quite a mirroring the Holy Roman Empire) Mohammedism embraced the goal of EMPIRE, overlayed EMPIRE on Mohammedism and created Islam. As Empires are authoritarian, their religions become tools of EMPIRE and the authoritarianism EMPIRE requires. For a religion born wholly intolerant, I think an example would be Mormonism, with its chauvinism against women, racism, economic authority born whole as initial dogma -- with changes in the direction of greater tolerance coming only when necessary to protect the wealth and EMPIRE of the Mormon Church's interests.

Even the Dalai Lama has acknowledged that Tibetan Buddhism ran Tibet in a manner that was FEUDAL. Was that Empire frozen in feudelism run by monks a weak system prime for collapse from ANY pressure from the outside world -- whether from well-intentioned, appreciative tourists or aggressors? That Tibet closed itself off from the world for some time seems to indicate the controlling monks realized INTOLERANCE of others, preventing new ideas to enter, was necessary for Tibet's survival.

I think any system that relies on its DOGMA and INTOLERANCE becomes TOXIC -- and that goes for SCIENCE as well, which has become a kind of religion of the secular world.

And we must investigate the existence of OCCULT religions in the form of Secret Societies. As dangerous as the out-in-the-open TOXIC religions are, it seems possible that the secret religions may be even more TOXIC and dangerous.

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

Isn't it amazing that the gift of language allows us to elequently defend a belief in a talking snake.

Man created gods out of fear of the unknown. (What's that light in the sky?)
    Man created religion to control other men. (You will burn in hell)
    God hates amputees. (Why don't we see the miracle of limb regrowth?)

C'mon....quit living in the 1st century. We should be able to say "I don't know" without relying on "faith".

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

The only reason religion exists, is for a few men to control mankind. The fear of death as final is the driving force behind all made up religion. It is all man made and any reference to divine inspiration is nonsense. Main stream, more tolerable religions are losing ground to fundamentalist religions, that are growing fast. These men who lead these religions are in the business of making fortunes off the fear of death. Atheism is not a religion. Study the origins of religion and any rational person should conclude that all faith is a belief in a belief. Atheism is rational study of natural selection and evolution. Morality is not the result of a belief in any god. The god of the bible was an insecure entity who was jealous and hatefull and encouraged genocide of all who opposed it. This invisable entity is something I would certainly not worship or ever want to meet. Love your fellow man and make the world better for everyone. I also believe that Religion Poisens Everthing

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

I wish someone would tell Carrie Lukas, who seems like a nice person, that it is not at all persuasive to pick out a few cases in which there are environmental objections to wind power and to claim that they are universal.

Any time you have hundreds or thousands of potential building sites, at least some will have objectors. Maybe those objections are well founded, maybe they are not, but it is simply poor logic to conclude from them that environmentalists (...or anyone else...) objects to wind power.

For a reality check, look at Klickitat County http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008905693_windenergy23m... where wind is boosting the local economy. Likewise, in Eastern Washington State, farmers are eager to have windmills as a sort of 2nd crop, which smooths out the fluctuations in the farm economy.

But the main point: Lucas needs better logic if she wants to be persuasive. I mean this in a friendly spirit; America needs a broad range of views and I think it's great Thom has her, and other conservatives, regularly.

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

There is some value in the openness and appreciation of things that may transcend our limited tools of language, reason and empiricism.

I am a Unitarian Universalist, and I think there is value in communities that permit the sharing of ideas and possibly transforming interactions and bonds between people that may help individuals gain insights into possibly transcendant, spiritual, mystical realms. Undoubtedly, a belief in a loving "central force" helps people in Alcoholics Anonymous gain the resolve to overcome crippling and seemingly intractable addictions. Same with athletes who seem to perform well beyond expectations due to their belief in a God. We can say that their beliefs are a crutch, and that it is really their own determination that yields success in their endeavors, but we CANNOT PROVE that they have NOT tapped into something beyond the things that are observable or comprehensible in our material world.

So we cannot deny the spiritual significance of another person's perspective. However, that does not mean that that person's claim of divine connection should add any value to that person's claims about reality or real-life decision making. Anytime an individual chooses to relay the results of his or her "divinely-inspired" insights to others, he or she must then be limited to the tools that are COMMONLY ACCESSIBLE to all people: language, reason and empiricism. These tools have their limitations, but given the limited nature of human condition, these are the best tools we have available to all of us.

We must resist the urge to believe things because we deeply desire to have the gratification of knowing: this leads to delusion as well as abuses resulting from asserting beliefs via power rather than through respectful, rational discourse. This can lead to unnecessary errors and conflicts--some with major consequences (e.g., creating unnecessary rifts between people or, at the extreme, killing other people or groups who have the "wrong" beliefs...)

We can commit to beliefs for which we have sound justification from the tools of language, reason and empiricism--always acknowledging that we may encounter new evidence or our collective understandings might be changed via a paradigm shift sometime later. Thus, instead of promoting intellectually impure and possibly corrosive dogmatism, a person can make useful and gratifying intellectual commitments WHILE RETAINING an openness to revisit and perhaps revise or reject such beliefs later on.

Thus a person remains intellectually humble and on a path of continual growth. This growth is enabled by a willingness and perhaps commitment to take in information and perspectives continually via reading and dialogue. This has the added benefit of deepening our connections with others, which can benefit us not only intellectually, but perhaps spiritually as well.

Thom,
    I'm sure you know, but I think it needs to be pointed out, that the reason cap and trade systems are so effective, in theory, is that they lower the total cost of abatement. They accomplish this by allowing the firms with a lower marginal cost of mitigation to reduce their GHG emissions beyond the necessary level and sell the "extras" to the firms with a higher cost. We all know the righties like economics, and this is theoretically the most economically efficient way of accomplishing this, assuming no corruption.
    Keep talking.
    West

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

Lets not forget there are over one billion people in Europe living in about the same space as 300 million here in the USA. Of course, their homes will be smaller as they have more people sharing the same resources. Imagine what our country will look like with over one billion people?

Thom,

You're squinting when you talk about oil or other fossil fuels as the reason for American wars. What fossil fuels did the United States seek in Cuba, Panama, Guatemala, Chile, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Mexico? What fossil fuels did the United States seek when the CIA had Patrice Lumumba overthrown in the Congo and when the CIA helped the apartheid South African government capture Nelson Mandela? What fossil fuel did does the U.S. want in Haiti when they kidnapped Jean Bertrand Aristide and flew him to the Central African Republic (a dictatorship)?

Oil isn't the only resource that this country goes to war for or subverts the governments and peoples of other countries for.

But I guess it's like you apparently believe and sometimes say, "We're supposed to be the good guys."

And I ask, is this the modern world you want to bring the Islamic world into?

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

I have to disagree with you, Francis. Religion is the broad brush definition given to describe spiritual practice with others in mind. Quite frankly, I think the human race would be better served if there were no religions. Personal spiritual practice is instead such a private matter that public discussion should be considered a faux pas of the highest magnitude.
    Remember, actions speak far louder than words. I would prefer if people expressed their adoration of the sacred by feeding the hungry, housing the homeless and helping the ill become healthy again. No need to brag about whatever philosophy-of-the-moment you espouse.

Just me.....

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

Carrie Lukas always strikes me as someone who would argue the advantages of continuing to sail the Titanic into the iceberg, and then giggle if you just didn't see the advantage to helping her into a lifeboat (you stay on the ship, of course).

Tsk-tsk Thom!
    Your comments on Unitarians was that we:"sit around and sing hymns."
    Do you know what religion led the abolitionist movement in the early 19th century?
    Do you know what religion was in the forefront of the Civil Rights movement?
    The Unitarian religion.
    And both events at a time when many -- if not most -- other mainstream religions were urging black Americans to "wait a while longer."

Just so you know I don't have a rod up my butt, my favorite Unitarian joke is that the reason we're such bad hymn singers is that we're always reading ahead in the hymn book to see if we agree with it.

You think the good core of religion is the spiritual, the mystical. I think the essential part is how we behave toward one another.

I'm sure you didn't mean to diss Unitarians, but you sure did.

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

Having tons of kids doesn't mean happiness....in addition, I am not a brood sow. Having a family should be a well-thought out process, and yes - sometimes 'accidents' happen.
    Europeans are not having kids at the rate American are because they don't give their heart and soul to a dysfunctional religious system that requires "more soldiers for an Army for Christ." Most of my Italian friends (non-Catholic) state that they prefer to give a child a quality life experience, versus scrapping for crumbs - of food, attention, etc.

Nicolette,
    re: who should govern?
    It seems to me that we do indeed create "God" in our own image. If you are a liberal, you see a loving. tolerant God, Where as a fundamentalist sees a judgmental, "tuff love" God. Therefor, it is us, who determines how we are governed.

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

Here's what Carrie Lukas is talking about.

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

Thom, You asked how one can reform a religion re the fundamentalist. As a former Christian, (now a Deist) I submit to you that perhaps you can't. When the liberal/moderate acknowledges the book to be the word of God (in any shape or form) the fundamentalist says " Yes, and this is what it says..."

• April 7th 2009   10 years 1 week ago

I've wondered who Atheists believe should govern, what philosophers should be followed, who makes the rules, because if you look at the diversity of humanity, the cultural differences, religion tempers men. If we're the tribe of man, what rules do we follow and who proscribes those rules?

You know, Thom....

I've always felt that religion or spiritual practice is a bit like a good cloak. Therefore, like any well-worn item of clothing, it's gonna get a little frayed with wear. This explains "radical fringe" - (gentle hugs and warm smiles)

• April 6th 2009   10 years 2 weeks ago

There is no doubt that a healthier life-style will keep Americans healthier. The sad news is that a simple appendectomy has a price tag of close to $20K.

• April 7th 2009   10 years 2 weeks ago

Christopher Hitchens is the best. I had a sense ever since I was young that religion was bulls***. I told my family that Church was boring and we stopped going. I always kind of thought religion was okay. I mean, I liked Christmas. When I finally started finding some information on atheism, I felt like I finally knew why my childhood never seemed right. Anything that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence, truer words were never spoken.

• French Workers Hold their Boss Hostage: Why Do the French have an Uppity Middle Class and We Don’t?   10 years 2 weeks ago

To Scotth,
    Please be careful. A lot of ppl break their arms patting themselves on the back so hard!
    And where do you get your "facts" about welfare recipients? Everyone was so sure things would really change when AFDC became TANF and got a 2 year limit. Turned out there wasn't much change at all because most ppl are only on it for 2 years max anyway. Turns out, hmm, they didn't need you hard-wrkg know-it-alls to make sure they went to work after all. gee. Maybe most ppl actually like to work.
    Maybe you aren't so special after all, Scotth. Sorry if that hurts a little, but maybe I saved you a broken arm.

• April 7th 2009   10 years 2 weeks ago

Here's the link to the story about the Socialist Mayors in Milwaukee:

Sign Up For The Thom Hartmann Newsletter Now

• Discover the Videos of the Day
  • Get The Daily Stack - Each & Every Article that Is Researched for the Program
  • Read Thom's Daily Blog

No More Presidential Immunity!

Thom plus logo When Richard Nixon committed multiple Felonies, including accepting bribes in cash in the White House, Jerry Ford chose to pardon him.

When Ronald Reagan committed treason in 1980 to get elected, Attorney General Bill Barr shut down the investigation in 1992 with five pardons.