Recent comments

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 15 weeks ago

Mark -- I think you should be more careful about where you get your statistics. I don't think you are right about "convenience" being the rule rather than the exception. I think the vast majority of late term abortions are for serious medical reasons. If a person just didn't want to have a baby, why wouldn't they get an earlier abortion? It's less life-threatening for the woman and easier on all concerned.
    Also, I don't think it's the doctor making the final decision, it's the pregnant woman. If women don't have ethics up to your standards, maybe you need to work on them rather than the doctor? It isn't the medical community that is failing here, it is the religious community (or other places people acquire ethics) that is failing to teach good ethics. Perhaps you should pick on them for their failure?
    Where do most people get their ethics these days? Arguably, people today get their ethics from media: from the news, from TV, from the movies, from commercials and ads, from songs and rap. Yes, yes, I know everyone says, "Not me! I don't take that stuff seriously, it's fiction and I know it." but that is not true -- if you watch TV and movies several times per week you cannot help but be influenced by the unspoken assumptions you see functioning repeatedly before you.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 15 weeks ago

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine from France. Two of our mutual friends there had breast cancer. Guess what NO WAITING! for surgery (ok a couple of weeks) and long term radiation and chemo. So far both are in remission. One is 45 and the other 75. The 75 year old woman wanted a private room and paid extra, and also extra for some testing, extra costs 1500 Euros or about $2000 everything else covered. 100% coverage for the 45 year old without the extras above. Also, my friend on the phone pays 80 Euros a month (about $110) for herself, her husband and her two children for 100% state provided coverage as above. That's it. No deductibles or co-pays unless you want the few extras as above and you get immediate attention, minimal waiting as you would have had here. End of story.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 15 weeks ago

I'm organizing a health care reform meeting immediately following our county
    Democratic Party meeting Saturday morning. And the speaker I invited is a strong advocate for national single-payer healthcare.

There's no reason we have to limit ourselves to what our clueless leaders on Capitol HIll have deemed the narrow parameters for debate.

I don't care how neatly the deck chairs are arranged on this ship, we need to change course.... and fast.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 15 weeks ago

In the healthcare debate, why hasn't anyone mentioned the compromise they have in New Zealand? As I understand it, the way they do it there is that the everyday medical care is just like ours: you get your own insurance or through your work, or you pay out of pocket. but for catastrophic care -- if you are in the hospital -- the government pays for it 100%. The hospitals are government owned, so I guess it's socialized medicine, but it means that no one goes bankrupt because of being in the hospital. It's not ideal, but it's a compromise that we should be considering if we can't get what we want.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 15 weeks ago

Chris,

I'd post my email, too, but have the same reservations. I wish there was some way to allow info. to go to designated people.

• A letter from a Republican to Thom   10 years 15 weeks ago

I think it is commendable that Don is able to come over from the dark side. There are many republicans who are very unhappy with their party at this time, I just wonder how many will be able to vote Blue in future elections. Time will only tell.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 15 weeks ago

One additional comment - Hate crime and terrorism. Osama Bin Laden didn't hijack the plane and slam it into the WTC towers. But he DID call for the death of americans. Randall Terry didn't SHOOT Dr George Tiller, but he did CALL FOR THE DEATH of abortion doctors.

In summary, shouldn't we be waterboarding Randall Terry?

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 15 weeks ago

Thom,

One important comment - the Dr Tiller murder was a HATE crime. It was a murder intended to instill fear in a group of people, in this case pro-choice practicing doctors. Has anyone in the media called this what it is?

• Monday & Tuesday June 1 & 2 2009...broadcasting live from "America's Future Now" in Washington, D.C.   10 years 15 weeks ago

Heard the interview with Senator Jeff Merkley. His views on the tobacco bill (S.982) are very disappointing. All he could come up with is the bit about camel trying to hook kids with candy nicotine. He does the same bit on his web site. Besides being a lie, he fails to mention what else the bill would do.

Through the back door it essentially bans tobacco reduced harm products from coming to the market. This includes swedish snus, a oral product from Sweden with a risk factor of 1% compared to smoking cigarettes, and electronic cigarettes, with all the research pointing to the fact that it likely has less then 1% the harmful effects of tobacco cigarettes.

This bill will likely pass to the detriment of 45+ million US citizens addicted to nicotine. Apparently that's okay with the progressives. People addicted to nicotine are the new 2nd class citizen in America. All Thom Hartmann could do was give a large sigh of agreement with Merkley when he went into his little bit about hooking the kids.

For decades the tobacco companies lied about the dangers of cigarettes and millions of people died prematurely because of it. Now, the anti-nicotine crowd, with the support of misguided and corrupt public health advocates are lying about reduced harm nicotine products and millions of people will die prematurely because if it. For the first time in my life, I feel ashamed to call myself a progressive.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 16 weeks ago

I have to admit I'm curious to hear how Thom takes on Dan Gainor, right-wing fibber. The fact is the media can hardly be accused of being overly "liberal" in its disemination of information of anything in regard to Latinos, let alone illegal immigration.

Just to get this out of my system, on Monday someone reiterated something that Thom has said, which is that people like me have no right to an opinion on a certain subject. I will not, however, abstain. Like any other human being I was appalled and dismayed by the news concerning the doctor who was gunned down by an anti-abortion fanatic. However, after listening all Monday and Tuesday to emotional pundits, to the morally and ethically bankrupt hypocrisies of the NOW and NARL people—who seem to forget that it was a male who was killed—I have to voice an opinion. I have a right to an opinion even if I am a man, just like women have the right to their opinions (as far as they can be called) about what men do. And my opinion is this: How did this doctor, who was a churchgoer, square his conscience with the fact that he was one of the few doctors in the state who performed late-term abortions? I know I couldn’t.

There are reasonable rationales for late term abortion; if the child (or fetus if you prefer) is clearly showing evidence of major deformity, brain abnormality or some other defect that will render its life brief and agonizing; or if the mother is suffering from some underlying health issue that will render continuation of the pregnancy a life and death issue. However, these situations are the exception, not the rule; “mental distress,” or a desire to hurt the father are morally or ethically insufficient, and for women to think that they can get away without censor the arbitrary decision to end a life so near to term is reprehensible. All too often, when the activists claim it is a “choice” or their “life”; what they mean in reality is their careers or their personal pleasure. If that is their choice, it would have been a great deal more morally and ethically acceptable if they hadn’t waited until the fetus became viable outside the womb.

The abortion issue is so heated for some people because all they have to offer morally and ethically is hot air. I don’t oppose abortion as a matter of law and pointlessness, but I do have limits to the amount of vapid, self-serving, selfish rhetoric I can digest; more life is snuffed-out by abortion every year than all the Americans killed in all its wars. Abortions will occur whether it is legal or not, and better legal. But I will not stand aside in the face of the blatant corruption that is abortion at any cost.

• Monday & Tuesday June 1 & 2 2009...broadcasting live from "America's Future Now" in Washington, D.C.   10 years 16 weeks ago

Whenever I hear a radio-show health care debate, a caller, supposedly from Canada (or any nation with public health care), calls in and talks about how poor their public health care is, long lines, poor choices, etc.

First, half of these callers sound like they haven't left the American south, ever.

Second, this is a minority sentiment in these countries. If it was not, why would they not be converting, left and right, to profit driven systems? These 30 minute infomercials describe how bad the public system works while not providing any major foreign politicians speaking out against them?

Last, It is easy to find citizens in these countries with gripes about the public system, and its easy to make an infomercial about how bad it is. Just imagine doing that about our public school system. But is that really an argument to not provide public education?

I agree with the majority of you. For-profit primary coverage should be illegal. When saving someone's life is in direct conflict with what is, by law, your primary object (to make a profit), you are breaking the law - no matter what.

I don't want my employer holding my health care. Why do we have to go begging to an employer? So many jobs don't offer health care anyway. The employer provided health care is a fragile tenuous ephemeral situation that can be snapped away in a heart beat. Why do employers want to be the gate keepers to America's Health Care. Because they want to keep employee cowed and unable to demand anything or have any opinions not approved of. THEY OWN YOU. And they know it.

Big Employers also want to have some control and inside info over what you are being treated for and what you can document against them. Health care is a Trojan Horse and it is coming out to the point people can see it.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 16 weeks ago

Awesome! Thanks Quark.
    I will take the info and run. Keep on fighting the good fight everyone.
    I'd post my email for future info, but I'm not to sure if I'd get hate mail or not:) JK

Thom,
    What would prevent us from forming a coalition of citizens against the war in Afghanistan to funnel aid and cultural assistance into the villages a la Greg Mortensen?
    With the large number of listeners that you have, myself included, we could make a significant impact.
    If everyone donated a small amount of money and time, we could build many schools and probably find a more economical way to end this nonsensical war.
    Keep up the good fight.
    West

That interview Thom just did was the biggest load dropped since the elephants walked through Times Sq. I hope Thom will be willing to comment on the "jounalist."

"We didn't comment on the war because there was no fight in congress to cover." So what were *you* doing instead, Mr. Press-man, picking your nose. The story is not the fight over the war but THE WAR ITSELF. The facts were there to be found. The real journalists over at Knight Ridder found the story. Why couldn't you?

Shame Shame Shame and more shame! Your JOB is to cover minority opinions. You obviously know how since you have been doing nothing but that since the Democrats took over.

And another thing that just boiled my potatoes, was when that "reporter" saying that the Obama guys are "thin skinned." Well, weren't the Bushies. But then how would you know? You followed them around like the sheep that you are. Again shame, shame shame!!!!

Please Thom comment on this guy. Don't let him get away with dropping this BS.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 16 weeks ago

Chris, MN group #2:

Mn-prog-events (digest…)

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 16 weeks ago

Chris,

I sent info. about 4 MN progressive groups, but the message disappeared. I’ll try it a little at a time:

DFL Progressive Caucus Update, May 26, 2009

651-251-6381

=================================

DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS ALERTS!

SINGLE PAYER FUNDRAISER AND CELEBRATION, June 18

6:30 - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul

Reserve your seat now for the Minnesota Universal Health Care
    Coalition’s Single-Payer Fundraiser and Celebration on June 18 from 6:30
    - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul. Speakers include Dr.
    Oliver Fern, single-payer advocate to the White House Forum on health
    care reform, and Senator John Marty, one of the first state legislators
    to endorse national single-payer legislation. $50.

FFI: muhcc.org

DONATE TO THE DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS FOR FREE IN 2009!

It’s a new year and a new donation cycle! Donate $50 to the Progressive

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 16 weeks ago

Chris,

DFL Progressive Caucus Update, May 26, 2009

messenger@progressivecaucus.net

651-251-6381

=================================

DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS ALERTS!

SINGLE PAYER FUNDRAISER AND CELEBRATION, June 18

6:30 - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul

Reserve your seat now for the Minnesota Universal Health Care
    Coalition’s Single-Payer Fundraiser and Celebration on June 18 from 6:30
    - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul. Speakers include Dr.
    Oliver Fern, single-payer advocate to the White House Forum on health
    care reform, and Senator John Marty, one of the first state legislators
    to endorse national single-payer legislation. $50.

FFI: muhcc.org

DONATE TO THE DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS FOR FREE IN 2009!

It’s a new year and a new donation cycle! Donate $50 to the Progressive

www.dfl.org

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 16 weeks ago

Chris, MN group #3:

www.mn2020.org

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 16 weeks ago

Chris, MN group #2:

Send Mn-prog-events mailing list submissions to
    mn-prog-events@justcomm.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    mn-prog-events-request@justcomm.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
    mn-prog-events-owner@justcomm.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
    than "Re: Contents of Mn-prog-events digest..."

• Wednesday June 3 2009   10 years 16 weeks ago

Chris,

I sent info. about 3 MN progressive groups, but the message disappeared. I'll try it a little at a time:

1) DFL Progressive Caucus Update, May 26, 2009
    Posted by: "dfl_pc_2005" messenger@progressivecaucus.net dfl_pc_2005
    Tue May 26, 2009 7:44 pm (PDT)

DFL Progressive Caucus Update, May 26, 2009

messenger@progressivecaucus.net

651-251-6381

=================================

DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS ALERTS!

SINGLE PAYER FUNDRAISER AND CELEBRATION, June 18

6:30 - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul

Reserve your seat now for the Minnesota Universal Health Care
    Coalition's Single-Payer Fundraiser and Celebration on June 18 from 6:30
    - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul. Speakers include Dr.
    Oliver Fern, single-payer advocate to the White House Forum on health
    care reform, and Senator John Marty, one of the first state legislators
    to endorse national single-payer legislation. $50.

FFI: muhcc.org

DONATE TO THE DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS FOR FREE IN 2009!

It's a new year and a new donation cycle! Donate $50 to the Progressive
    Caucus, mail it to our Treasurer, he will process it it through the DFL,
    you get a refund form to mail to the state for reimbursement. Everybody
    wins! Do it today!

Make checks payable to Minnesota DFL, and be sure to write "DFL
    Progressive Caucus" on the memo line. Mail checks to

Dave Moe, Treasurer
    DFL Progressive Caucus
    2825 28th Avenue South
    Minneapolis, MN 55406

FFI: "Political Contribution Refund Program" at http://dfl.org

*********************************

Encourage others to subscribe at

Twisted terrorist muslims are Islamofacists, so Tiller's killers and the bible-based anti gay civil rights activists would properly be labled as Christofacists. Appropriately FOX would be the Christofacist network.

I just thought of something else. I've noticed they are ramping up their "pro-life" efforts recently. Is this a coincidence that they are doing this right around the time everyone in America is losing their job? This is more proof that they are trying to send us back to Cratchit and Srooge times. Make abortion illegal and watch the statistics for women graduating from High school.

I just thought of something. If the scumbags at the top want to grow the labor pool to drop the price of labor and raise profits, isn't it in their best interest to keep people OUT of jail? I think this is a case of two powerful scums at the top, one who wants to grow the labor pool, and one who wants to increase mandatory minimum sentences.

Come Cruise with Thom Hartmann in July 2020

Join me for an exciting Bermuda getaway aboard Oceania Cruises, the world’s leading culinary and destination-focused cruise line. Set sail on the reimagined Insignia for 7 nights beginning July 25th 2020. Take advantage of Oceania Cruises’ OLife Choice promotion, where you can choose shore excursions, a beverage package, or onboard credit – Oceania Cruises also includes Wifi! You'll also receive complimentary gratuities, a $50 onboard credit and two exclusive cocktail parties. Did I mention we are planning special onboard events with yours truly? Prices start at $1199.

Reserve your stateroom today by contacting Keene Luxury Travel, and mention the Thom Hartmann Group 800.856.1155

or go to https://www.keeneluxurytravel.com/th-bermuda/default.asp

Did Trump Commit Treason?

Thom plus logo News reports increasingly are suggesting that Donald Trump has committed treason in making a promise to a foreign leader. The question is, who is the foreign leader and what was the promise?