Recent comments

• March 20th 2009 ON the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Other than a gap of 2 years--from 1863 to 1865, when there were 10 seats--the Supreme Court has had 9 members since 1837, when the 8th and 9th seats were added. The 7th was added in 1807, and the 6th was added in 1790, only a year after the first 5 seat were created.

• March 20th 2009 ON the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Thom, I can't call in right now (at work) but I would love to hear your thoughts on the Obama's plan to start gardening at the white house.

people need to start taking back the genes of our world from big ag, and the more people garden the more people will be informed about the damage that GMO's, pesticides, and chemical farming are doing (organic was the original "conventional method"). I hope you would point the listeners to check out two sites. The first www.urbanhomestead.com/journal is the blog from a family in pasedena who grows the majority of their diet on 1/10th of an acre, among other sustainable/low impact practices.

the second site freedomgarden.org is the facebook so to speak of the sustainable gardening demographic. Its a meeting place of people sharing info on gardening, composting, food preservation, seed saving, and a great positive place for people who want to "be the change."

Thanks and keep up the good work.

• March 20th 2009 ON the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Thom,

It's interesting that you raised the issue of paid bloggers today. I've been thinking about it in relationship to your show this week.

You may be aware of this already, but in the last few weeks two of the more prolific conservative members of your message board have called in to your show.

I won't mention their names (unless you want me to), but one called on a Friday to challenge Bernie Sanders about H1B visas. The other one called a few days ago feigning dismay that you urged listeners to contact Arlen Specter to urge him to switch from Republican to Democrat. The source of his feigned dismay was the fact that you'd been critical of Specter for his role on the Warren Commission.

When I noticed the fact they had called in within days of each other, I wondered if your show has been targeted for special attention since you were designated the most influential progressive talker. I also wondered if they had earned enough troll points to graduate from strictly blog posts to phone calls (or maybe it was their auditions).

I had wondered if these guys because of their prolificacy and the transparency of their arguments. In the case of one of these guys, after reading one of his posts, I had hoped that he was doing it for money rather than he actually believed it.

Just for reference, I checked on the numbers of posts of these two blogger/callers. Both of these guys were all over your old message board, and in the few weeks your new board has been up, the guy who called about Arlen Specter has posted 97 times (several this morning with the last one being within the last 5 minutes) and the one who called about work visas posted 33 times (with around 5-6 this morning and the most recent also within the last 5 minutes).

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 38 weeks ago

Medved vs. Reality

Here are some thoughts from The Great Debate last night.

Blame the recession on Obama. / The recession started earlier than it was supposed to .

Corporate media has a liberal bias. / Reality has a liberal bias. Corporate media often reports on reality.

Bush/Cheney kept us safe since 9/11. / Bush/Cheney did a lousy job keeping us safe since 9/10.

We would not have gone to war with Iraq if not for 9/11. / The only connection between Iraq and 9/11 is you can start a war with Iraq if you lie about a connection with 9/11.

Decent union wages are bad for business and economic recovery. / Decent wages will empower you the audience to become customers and customers of customers. The only way to economic recovery is to empower your customers.

A large proportion of the audience is happy with their healthcare. / The audience consists of people with enough disposable income to go see a political debate. The growing population of desperate struggling Americans is not represented here.

No able bodied person should be paid by the government for sitting around doing nothing if they’re poor. / So we should create an environment to get that person employed and not poor. And we should undo the conservative shift of the tax burden onto working Americans and off of investment income. Lost tax revenues on the upper percent of income is the worst way for the government to pay able bodied people for sitting around doing.

Why is progressive talk such a failure? I thought it was fat-cat corporate sponsors and station owners with an anti-American worker agenda.

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

MathBoy: Along side a 'cloture' rule, it may be helpful to think about the entire body of forty-three Standing Rules of the Senate, too? Because these Senate parlimentary rules all modify the constitutionally required 'simple majority', for votes in both houses of Congress. Together, these rules add a parlimentary level of complexity. Besides, at the direction of the chair of the Senate (and sometimes, the clerk?) a 'unanimous consent' motion, a.k.a. 'general consent' motion, can end debate when there are no objections present! The general consent motion ignores the subject of what has been debated, or even how intense it may get! Practically, 'general consent' in the Senate, is a parlimentary tool that is used often, or informally, and saves time, and does that civililly!

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 38 weeks ago

Hi Thom and all,

I was listening to your show today and your comment about Carter begin the first to deregulate reminded me that actually Gerald Ford started that ball rolling. Here's a clip from UTexas:

"Beside abolishing many controls on petroleum prices, Ford proposed economic deregulation of the railroad, aviation, and trucking industries, and created a regulatory reform task force to identify other areas in which deregulation would be economically and socially desirable. Only railroad deregulation had been achieved by the time Ford left office, but the groundwork had been laid for other regulatory reforms later carried out under Carter."

I have read other references to Ford being the "deregulation president".

It's good to put this back onto Republican shoulders.

• March 20th 2009 ON the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Eliot Spitzer:

The Real AIG ScandalIt's not the bonuses. It's that AIG's counterparties are getting paid back in full.

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Thom you need to get a interview with the President. I was just listening to Ed Shultz (who is ok but can't really hang with you) He had a interview with the President. He asked some good questions but for the most part it was just a lot of Softballs. I wanted to hear a little tougher questions. I don't want people thinking that Liberals can't ask Tough Questions to Dems. I know you would have done a better Job. And what is with Ed Shultz feeling in for David S. on MSNBC. You need to get in on that. I'm just sayin. Tom on T.V. is what America Needs!!!

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

I think the caller's idea that the whole AIG fiasco is quite simply another Enron scam is not far fetched. Also Thom's saying that the bonuses are a reletively insignificant part of a bigger picture is right on. However, saying that going after the White House conspirators is where we should be focused is also small beans compared to an even bigger picture.
    We have a situation likened to the Titanic sinking as far as sustatinability of our population versus the available resources of our planet. Those at the top are basically grabbing the few available lifeboats and lining the nest with the ship's provisions.
    Starting a passenger revolt to prosecute the guilty crewmembers does not change the inevitable, foreseeable crash.
    The sources that fuel our energy wasting American Dream are running out..
    Without an unlimited supply of undergound fossil fuels we can no longer supply the raw materials to meet the needs of an ever growing population.
    We turn to our Government and Industries and ask them to implement changes for our future. However, the powers that be are overrun with special interests run by dinosaur industries.
    The Solutions are readily available, and many are in fact public domain. Since you can't patent ideas that are already freely available, it is not in the interest of industries to develop them.

The Heliostat you referred to in New Mexico is no more.
    There were several experimental Heliostats built at Los Alamos, but that program has been discontinued. There aren't any large scale Heliostats in America to the best of my knowledge. I know India built one recently.
    Obama talks about developing "Solar Panels": one of the least effective methods of extracting solar energy from the sun. A large scale Heliostat is one of the most efficient methods, next to biomass.
    The Los Alamos Heliostats generated electricity via steam turbines. You could build a Heliostat large enough to melt down glass and aluminum and make mirrors and structural parts to manufacture more of them. With a self perpetuating system, you could soon have enough Heliostats in place to provide all of our energy needs for free.

With unlimited free energy, the powerful energy companies become obsolete and fade from existence from our government and our industries.

There are many more readily available technolgies which could make us not just energy independent, but with an energy surplus.
    We are wasting too much time focusing on patching the problems instead of exploring Solutions.

I told myself before the election that if Obama was elected I would try to stop griping and complaining about the government and try to be more constructive for a change. After some dissapointment, I slipped right back into full gripe mode. It's hard to sit down and only write down constructive changes insead of just saying how this is wrong and that is wrong after some 20 odd years of Reagan, Bush, Clinton, etc.

to RickinSF

There are a bunch of links to the right of Thom's picture near the top of the homepage. The first link is Home and the last is Links. Click on the word Community. That will take you to a page that has the link for the chat room, message boards and more.

When/if you want to Log-out of the site, you have to click on "my home" where you'll find a Log-out button. It's a bit awkward.

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

The site is ridiculously difficult to navigate. There should be a link, front and center on the home page, to comment on the show that is currently being aired!

That said, why do you give so much airtime to Neanderthals like Bill? This "my taxes pay for lazy slobs to eat steak and lobster" meme doesn't merit a response - he is so hopelessly ego-centric that facts and logic will mean nothing to him. Also, I'd like to see you call people more often on anecdotal "evidence" - it may be an anecdote, but it ain't evidence.

All that said, I love your show and all that you do. Sorry for the gripe-fest.

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

I've been away a while, is there no longer a chat room?

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

What is happening with the stream today. It's breaking up all over the place; both the silverstream and the MP3. can't even listen to it.

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Servicemonkey: My tickets are regular and they say 5:30 as well. I am trying to find the Chat site.

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 38 weeks ago

Thom
    Here is the bonus solution. Give them their bonuses, all they have to do is pick up the check in person from The GM plant that have been laying people off, or maybe downtown Fallujah or Afghanistan. They have a month to pick them up or they lose them. A simple solution.

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Wednesday Evening on NPR I heard that when a company was in difficulty, it was common to offer retention contracts to make sure an employee stayed until a specific date. So, those were legal contracts put in place by the last administration, and that would be the reason, some employees had already left the company.

Those toxic items were sold all over the world by US. I wish someone would come out and explain very clearly to the average person how important it is to bail out other countries and how AIG is an important global company.

I have no special knowledge, but I felt we were in financial trouble a couple of years ago, although not to this extent. I have been following it all very closely, especially during and after the night it all went south.

It is such a distraction from all the serious problems we have.

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Hope I'm posting this in the right place, I have VIP tickets to the event tonight, including meet n' greet. Is 5:30 the correct time or do VIP ticket people arrive earlier?

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

I agree that the AIG employees should be fired and charged with fraud. The one that said that the bonuses were not for perfomance but retention should serve the longest since he obviously lied to congress. Also, these people should be tried by their peers after they are fired. Of course, their peers are other unemployeed people whose chance at jobs in the near future were shattered by the greed of the AIG employees.

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Also, another thought I had about the AIG "retention awards". For AIG (or any company) to rationalize spending millions of our tax dollars to retain the employees who are in large part responsible for creating this mess, by asserting that they’re the most qualified people to solve problems they created, is absolutely ludicrous. By that rationale, the U.S. government should contract Al Qaeda to run our anti-terrorism efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq. This is an absolute scam and I say the U.S. government should seize those bonuses and fire those employees, or even better charge them with fraud, seize all of their assets and let them stand trial before a jury of 12 Americans who will decide their fates!

• March 19th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

I just saw an article on the BBC website about our dear friend Mr. Madoff, which says "Madoff's lawyers have argued to a US appeals court he should be released as he had not fled while under house arrest at his Manhattan penthouse."

My thought: "Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results" - lock him up!

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

"Salon"has a great article by Glenn Greenwald about AIG and the Dodd lie.

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 38 weeks ago

Thom,
    Great show, thanks for everything you offer-up. The other day I was listening to your show, I heard either you or your guest mention how Chris Dodd was equally responsible for the bonuses of AIG. According to Glen Greenwald of Salon.com, the information is incorrect. I'm pasting the link straight to the article should you have time to read his side of the story. You've opened up my eyes so much more, thanks again.
    Jesse A.

• Wanted by Tent City Homeless: AIG Senior Employees   10 years 38 weeks ago

Let’s go after the REAL money given to AIG – the $183 billion! I realize that this has already been paid out, and we can’t get it back from the counterparties who knew that Alan Greenspan and George Bush and Hank Paulson were steering the U.S. economy off a real estate cliff, a derivatives cliff and a balance-of-payments cliff all wrapped up into one by betting against collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) and insuring these casino bets with AIG. That money has been siphoned off from the Treasury fair and square, by putting their own proxies in the key government slots, the better to serve them.
    So let’s go after them altogether. Sen. Schumer said to the AIG bonus recipients that the I.R.S. can go after them and get the money back one way or another. And it can indeed go after the $183-billion bailout recipients. All it has to do is re-instate the estate tax and raise the marginal income and wealth-tax rates to the (already reduced) Clinton-era levels.
    The money can be recovered. And that’s just what Mr. Schumer, Mr. Frank and others don’t want to see the public discussing. That’s why they’ve diverted attention onto this trivia. It’s the time-honored way to get people not to talk about the big picture and what’s really important

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

There isn't enough money, gold or oil in the world right now that would encourage me to trade places with President Obama. I keep hearing everyone saying that the President is trying to take on and tackle too much at once. Does he have much choice right now? Everything we are dealing with at this moment is interconnected to one another. You can't discuss the economy without including health care, employment/employees, the cost of two wars, etc.

I live in South Carolina. I love it here, but unfortunately my representatives, Sen. Graham, Sen. DeMint, Rep. Henry Brown and Gov. Mark Sanford are so caught up in the political machine that they are total disregard for the people they are required to represent. I did not vote for any of the above, but I'm still trying to live under their "regime".

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to rant! I try to listen to you daily via web stream on green960.com. You are a breath of fresh air. You prove educated and researched information for everyone, regardless of political affiliation.

• March 18th 2009 On the Program   10 years 38 weeks ago

Good morning,
    Just an explanation regarding the report that men get along with men better than women with women: there is research indicating that before menopause women tend to be competitors (for the "big dog"?) and that when estrogen levels drop, or perhaps if they're not ovulating, women increase their affinity for other women. There are also differences depending on whether the other women are related or not....

Come Cruise with Thom Hartmann in July 2020

Join me for an exciting Bermuda getaway aboard Oceania Cruises, the world’s leading culinary and destination-focused cruise line. Set sail on the reimagined Insignia for 7 nights beginning July 25th 2020. Take advantage of Oceania Cruises’ OLife Choice promotion, where you can choose shore excursions, a beverage package, or onboard credit – Oceania Cruises also includes Wifi! You'll also receive complimentary gratuities, a $50 onboard credit and two exclusive cocktail parties. Did I mention we are planning special onboard events with yours truly? Prices start at $1199.

Reserve your stateroom today by contacting Keene Luxury Travel, and mention the Thom Hartmann Group 800.856.1155

or go to https://www.keeneluxurytravel.com/th-bermuda/default.asp

Behold The Trump's Crime Family's Disrespect of Life & Humanity....

Thom plus logo In a time when wildlife populations around the world are crashing, endangered species tremble on the verge of extinction, and the entire web of life is at risk, the son of the President of the United States went to Mongolia and shot an endangered species, the largest sheep in the world with 6 foot horns.