Recent comments

• Wednesday June 3 2009   11 years 16 weeks ago

I have to admit I'm curious to hear how Thom takes on Dan Gainor, right-wing fibber. The fact is the media can hardly be accused of being overly "liberal" in its disemination of information of anything in regard to Latinos, let alone illegal immigration.

Just to get this out of my system, on Monday someone reiterated something that Thom has said, which is that people like me have no right to an opinion on a certain subject. I will not, however, abstain. Like any other human being I was appalled and dismayed by the news concerning the doctor who was gunned down by an anti-abortion fanatic. However, after listening all Monday and Tuesday to emotional pundits, to the morally and ethically bankrupt hypocrisies of the NOW and NARL people—who seem to forget that it was a male who was killed—I have to voice an opinion. I have a right to an opinion even if I am a man, just like women have the right to their opinions (as far as they can be called) about what men do. And my opinion is this: How did this doctor, who was a churchgoer, square his conscience with the fact that he was one of the few doctors in the state who performed late-term abortions? I know I couldn’t.

There are reasonable rationales for late term abortion; if the child (or fetus if you prefer) is clearly showing evidence of major deformity, brain abnormality or some other defect that will render its life brief and agonizing; or if the mother is suffering from some underlying health issue that will render continuation of the pregnancy a life and death issue. However, these situations are the exception, not the rule; “mental distress,” or a desire to hurt the father are morally or ethically insufficient, and for women to think that they can get away without censor the arbitrary decision to end a life so near to term is reprehensible. All too often, when the activists claim it is a “choice” or their “life”; what they mean in reality is their careers or their personal pleasure. If that is their choice, it would have been a great deal more morally and ethically acceptable if they hadn’t waited until the fetus became viable outside the womb.

The abortion issue is so heated for some people because all they have to offer morally and ethically is hot air. I don’t oppose abortion as a matter of law and pointlessness, but I do have limits to the amount of vapid, self-serving, selfish rhetoric I can digest; more life is snuffed-out by abortion every year than all the Americans killed in all its wars. Abortions will occur whether it is legal or not, and better legal. But I will not stand aside in the face of the blatant corruption that is abortion at any cost.

• Monday & Tuesday June 1 & 2 2009...broadcasting live from "America's Future Now" in Washington, D.C.   11 years 16 weeks ago

Whenever I hear a radio-show health care debate, a caller, supposedly from Canada (or any nation with public health care), calls in and talks about how poor their public health care is, long lines, poor choices, etc.

First, half of these callers sound like they haven't left the American south, ever.

Second, this is a minority sentiment in these countries. If it was not, why would they not be converting, left and right, to profit driven systems? These 30 minute infomercials describe how bad the public system works while not providing any major foreign politicians speaking out against them?

Last, It is easy to find citizens in these countries with gripes about the public system, and its easy to make an infomercial about how bad it is. Just imagine doing that about our public school system. But is that really an argument to not provide public education?

I agree with the majority of you. For-profit primary coverage should be illegal. When saving someone's life is in direct conflict with what is, by law, your primary object (to make a profit), you are breaking the law - no matter what.

I don't want my employer holding my health care. Why do we have to go begging to an employer? So many jobs don't offer health care anyway. The employer provided health care is a fragile tenuous ephemeral situation that can be snapped away in a heart beat. Why do employers want to be the gate keepers to America's Health Care. Because they want to keep employee cowed and unable to demand anything or have any opinions not approved of. THEY OWN YOU. And they know it.

Big Employers also want to have some control and inside info over what you are being treated for and what you can document against them. Health care is a Trojan Horse and it is coming out to the point people can see it.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   11 years 16 weeks ago

Awesome! Thanks Quark.
    I will take the info and run. Keep on fighting the good fight everyone.
    I'd post my email for future info, but I'm not to sure if I'd get hate mail or not:) JK

Thom,
    What would prevent us from forming a coalition of citizens against the war in Afghanistan to funnel aid and cultural assistance into the villages a la Greg Mortensen?
    With the large number of listeners that you have, myself included, we could make a significant impact.
    If everyone donated a small amount of money and time, we could build many schools and probably find a more economical way to end this nonsensical war.
    Keep up the good fight.
    West

That interview Thom just did was the biggest load dropped since the elephants walked through Times Sq. I hope Thom will be willing to comment on the "jounalist."

"We didn't comment on the war because there was no fight in congress to cover." So what were *you* doing instead, Mr. Press-man, picking your nose. The story is not the fight over the war but THE WAR ITSELF. The facts were there to be found. The real journalists over at Knight Ridder found the story. Why couldn't you?

Shame Shame Shame and more shame! Your JOB is to cover minority opinions. You obviously know how since you have been doing nothing but that since the Democrats took over.

And another thing that just boiled my potatoes, was when that "reporter" saying that the Obama guys are "thin skinned." Well, weren't the Bushies. But then how would you know? You followed them around like the sheep that you are. Again shame, shame shame!!!!

Please Thom comment on this guy. Don't let him get away with dropping this BS.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   11 years 16 weeks ago

Chris, MN group #2:

Mn-prog-events (digest…)

• Wednesday June 3 2009   11 years 16 weeks ago

Chris,

I sent info. about 4 MN progressive groups, but the message disappeared. I’ll try it a little at a time:

DFL Progressive Caucus Update, May 26, 2009

651-251-6381

=================================

DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS ALERTS!

SINGLE PAYER FUNDRAISER AND CELEBRATION, June 18

6:30 - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul

Reserve your seat now for the Minnesota Universal Health Care
    Coalition’s Single-Payer Fundraiser and Celebration on June 18 from 6:30
    - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul. Speakers include Dr.
    Oliver Fern, single-payer advocate to the White House Forum on health
    care reform, and Senator John Marty, one of the first state legislators
    to endorse national single-payer legislation. $50.

FFI: muhcc.org

DONATE TO THE DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS FOR FREE IN 2009!

It’s a new year and a new donation cycle! Donate $50 to the Progressive

• Wednesday June 3 2009   11 years 16 weeks ago

Chris,

DFL Progressive Caucus Update, May 26, 2009

messenger@progressivecaucus.net

651-251-6381

=================================

DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS ALERTS!

SINGLE PAYER FUNDRAISER AND CELEBRATION, June 18

6:30 - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul

Reserve your seat now for the Minnesota Universal Health Care
    Coalition’s Single-Payer Fundraiser and Celebration on June 18 from 6:30
    - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul. Speakers include Dr.
    Oliver Fern, single-payer advocate to the White House Forum on health
    care reform, and Senator John Marty, one of the first state legislators
    to endorse national single-payer legislation. $50.

FFI: muhcc.org

DONATE TO THE DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS FOR FREE IN 2009!

It’s a new year and a new donation cycle! Donate $50 to the Progressive

www.dfl.org

• Wednesday June 3 2009   11 years 16 weeks ago

Chris, MN group #3:

www.mn2020.org

• Wednesday June 3 2009   11 years 16 weeks ago

Chris, MN group #2:

Send Mn-prog-events mailing list submissions to
    mn-prog-events@justcomm.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    mn-prog-events-request@justcomm.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
    mn-prog-events-owner@justcomm.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
    than "Re: Contents of Mn-prog-events digest..."

• Wednesday June 3 2009   11 years 16 weeks ago

Chris,

I sent info. about 3 MN progressive groups, but the message disappeared. I'll try it a little at a time:

1) DFL Progressive Caucus Update, May 26, 2009
    Posted by: "dfl_pc_2005" messenger@progressivecaucus.net dfl_pc_2005
    Tue May 26, 2009 7:44 pm (PDT)

DFL Progressive Caucus Update, May 26, 2009

messenger@progressivecaucus.net

651-251-6381

=================================

DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS ALERTS!

SINGLE PAYER FUNDRAISER AND CELEBRATION, June 18

6:30 - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul

Reserve your seat now for the Minnesota Universal Health Care
    Coalition's Single-Payer Fundraiser and Celebration on June 18 from 6:30
    - 8:30 PM at the University Club in St. Paul. Speakers include Dr.
    Oliver Fern, single-payer advocate to the White House Forum on health
    care reform, and Senator John Marty, one of the first state legislators
    to endorse national single-payer legislation. $50.

FFI: muhcc.org

DONATE TO THE DFL PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS FOR FREE IN 2009!

It's a new year and a new donation cycle! Donate $50 to the Progressive
    Caucus, mail it to our Treasurer, he will process it it through the DFL,
    you get a refund form to mail to the state for reimbursement. Everybody
    wins! Do it today!

Make checks payable to Minnesota DFL, and be sure to write "DFL
    Progressive Caucus" on the memo line. Mail checks to

Dave Moe, Treasurer
    DFL Progressive Caucus
    2825 28th Avenue South
    Minneapolis, MN 55406

FFI: "Political Contribution Refund Program" at http://dfl.org

*********************************

Encourage others to subscribe at

Twisted terrorist muslims are Islamofacists, so Tiller's killers and the bible-based anti gay civil rights activists would properly be labled as Christofacists. Appropriately FOX would be the Christofacist network.

I just thought of something else. I've noticed they are ramping up their "pro-life" efforts recently. Is this a coincidence that they are doing this right around the time everyone in America is losing their job? This is more proof that they are trying to send us back to Cratchit and Srooge times. Make abortion illegal and watch the statistics for women graduating from High school.

I just thought of something. If the scumbags at the top want to grow the labor pool to drop the price of labor and raise profits, isn't it in their best interest to keep people OUT of jail? I think this is a case of two powerful scums at the top, one who wants to grow the labor pool, and one who wants to increase mandatory minimum sentences.

Brian,

I believe that your adoption of Thom Hartmann's position that men have no part in the discussion is wrong and is rigidly "politically correct".

Women live in the same societies that men live in and share lives with men. You only seem to be looking at it from the perspective of a woman's choice to terminate a pregnancy or continue it to birth. In those terms, I believe a woman should have the right to make medical decisions about her body and life.

But the social broader discussion involves and affects all of us because it has been made a major issue in our society. Women don't live in a world separate from men, we live together and in the long run share common a common fate. We all should have a place in the discussion.

Do you really think that this is an issue that has all men on one side and all women on the other side? Whose opinion who you value more and is closest to yours in the discussion, Thom Hartmann's or right wing talk radio host Laura Ingraham's, Bernie Sanders or Michelle Bachman's?

This isn't a battle between men and women. It's much more complex than that, with people on both sides coming from a variety of perspectives with a variety of concerns.

And if men don't have the right to voice their opinions on this issue, should they also refrain from doing scientific research on birth control? Should they refrain from making donations to organizations that promote reproductive choice? That doesn't make sense to me, but it seems logical from the perspective that says that men have no say.

Let's look at the issue from the beginning of the pregnancy rather than the end. If only women have a say in these issues, does a wife have the right to intentionally get pregnant without discussing it with her husband. Can she stop using her birth control without telling her husband, who is going to be legally bound to support the child for almost two decades? If you were married or in a relationship with a woman, how would you feel if she decided to undergo artificial insemination without telling you?

Although I'm on the pro-choice side, I don't assume that all people who describe their side as "pro-life" are interested in the subjugation of women. Many of them, including a huge number of women, believe that "life begins at conception" and a cohesive argument can be made for that position. As far as I know, no human being has been born without being conceived first. But the issue is more complex than that, and the pro-choice side is more a religious position more than a scientific or sociological position.

Bottom line, I totally disagree with the position that you and Thom Hartmann take, that men have no say in the discussion about abortion. I support a woman's right to choose. But in the discussion of this as a social issue, I believe that men and women have the right to participate because we're all part of society.

As an after thought, I think Thom sometimes takes some bizarre "politically correct" positions. I don't know if you heard it, but some months ago, Thom started his show tripping over himself while apologizing because he reflexively told Arianna Huffington that she smelled good when she walked past him. I thought Thom's on-air apology was pathetic and bizarre.

Arianna Huffington is a wealthy woman who probably spent a lot of money on an expensive perfume so that she would smell good. She probably has several expensive perfumes because she likes smelling good. I have a feeling that she likes the fact that people notice the pleasing scent of her perfume. Thom thought his compliment was some sort of terrible objectification or her as a woman. the fact is that both men and women have been applying scents to their bodies for a very long time.

• Wednesday June 3 2009   11 years 16 weeks ago

HOW DO WE START?

I was chatting with my wife the other night, and we were wondering if we missed the boat on this or if there is still hope to enact my idea.
    I know we weren't alone in wondering during all of the Tea-Bagging hooplah "Gee, why don't we don a genuine, and real Grass roots gathering for Healthcare reform?"

If the polls we keep hearing about are correct, that would be an awful lot of Americans willing to fight for reform. It is necessary, and it needs to happen NOW! Congress is debating it now, Thom is right in promoting Single-Payer, it may not happen, but it would be easier if we start with a public option.

Can you imagine the media coverage, and how laughable the next tea-parties would be, if we could organize a nationwide event like this?

I am in 100% and will help in any way I can. The question is how,and where to begin?I am relatively new to this activism thing :)
    Thom's listeners are intelligent, and willing to work, so I figured I'd start here. I will contact my reps tonight as well, but if we can work hard for 10+months to elect our President, we need to do as Thom says we can't relax now, we need to push and Remind President Obama now more than ever.
    Love the show and keep fighting the good fight. Maybe Move On will help....

why do men feel the need to frame the debate on pro choice and pro life. this should only be a dialogue between women. can someone help me to understand this?

• A letter from a Republican to Thom   11 years 16 weeks ago

The operative word in Don's letter is "LOCKSTEP" ! That alone shows us that the clueless, who follow without questioning, are likely to be Republican. Nothing more need be said. Their history and their failures confirm it all.

WHEN DOES LIFE START? BILL MAHER STATED THAT YOU CAN FREEZE AN EMBROY BUT YOU CAN NOT FREEZE A BABY. MAKES SENSE TO ME. AS A MAN I HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL WOMEN WHAT TO DO WITH THEIR LIFE. THIS IS A TOPIC THAT MEN NEED TO STEP ASIDE OF.

Thom, a couple of quick observations:

1) An IUD is not a "chemical" ("pesticide") contraceptive.

2) Why does God "kill babies"? Any babies? Either after fertilization or as children?

3)Most of these pro-Lifers support the Death Penalty, yet when you asked about people enacting vengeance against doctors, he implied that it was wrong: "Instead, maybe God will kill them in a plane crash". Why don't they apply the same standard to people on Death Row?

What is So Rare As a Day in June
    AND what is so rare as a day in June?
    Then, if ever, come perfect days;
    Then Heaven tries earth if it be in tune,
    And over it softly her warm ear lays;
    Whether we look, or whether we listen,
    We hear life murmur, or see it glisten;
    Every clod feels a stir of might,
    An instinct within it that reaches and towers,
    And, groping blindly above it for light,
    Climbs to a soul in grass and flowers;
    The flush of life may well be seen
    Thrilling back over hills and valleys;
    The cowslip startles in meadows green,
    The buttercup catches the sun in its chalice,
    And there's never a leaf nor a blade too mean
    To be some happy creature's palace;
    The little bird sits at his door in the sun,
    Atilt like a blossom among the leaves,
    And lets his illumined being o'errun
    With the deluge of summer it receives;
    His mate feels the eggs beneath her wings,
    And the heart in her dumb breast flutters and sings;
    He sings to the wide world, and she to her nest,
    In the nice ear of Nature which song is the best?

Now is the high-tide of the year,
    And whatever of life hath ebbed away
    Comes flooding back with a ripply cheer,
    Into every bare inlet and creek and bay;
    Now the heart is so full that a drop overfills it,
    We are happy now because God wills it;
    No matter how barren the past may have been,
    'Tis enough for us now that the leaves are green;
    We sit in the warm shade and feel right well
    How the sap creeps up and the blossoms swell;
    We may shut our eyes but we cannot help knowing
    That skies are clear and grass is growing;
    The breeze comes whispering in our ear,
    That dandelions are blossoming near,
    That maize has sprouted, that streams are flowing,
    That the river is bluer than the sky,
    That the robin is plastering his house hard by;
    And if the breeze kept the good news back,
    For our couriers we should not lack;
    We could guess it all by yon heifer's lowing,
    And hark! How clear bold chanticleer,
    Warmed with the new wine of the year,
    Tells all in his lusty crowing!

Joy comes, grief goes, we know not how;
    Everything is happy now,
    Everything is upward striving;
    'Tis as easy now for the heart to be true
    As for grass to be green or skies to be blue,
    'Tis for the natural way of living:
    Who knows whither the clouds have fled?
    In the unscarred heaven they leave not wake,
    And the eyes forget the tears they have shed,
    The heart forgets its sorrow and ache;
    The soul partakes the season's youth,
    And the sulphurous rifts of passion and woe
    Lie deep 'neath a silence pure and smooth,
    Like burnt-out craters healed with snow.

James Russell Lowell

Barbara Craig, here's the email Al Franken's campaign sent out today:

"Dear Friend,

Today, after a long and careful recount and trial, our legal team defended our close victory in the U.S. Senate race before the Minnesota State Supreme Court.

On behalf of Al, Franni, and all of us, I want to thank you again for your support (and your patience!). And I'd like to take a moment to answer a few questions many of you have asked.

Q: WHAT CAN I DO?
    A: Although this should be the last step in the process, national Republicans have offered to bankroll even more legal challenges on behalf of their candidate. Our talented legal team will continue to protect what we've won - and your contribution will allow that work to happen.

CLICK HERE TO MAKE A CONTRIBUTION!

Q: WHEN WILL THIS BE OVER?
    A: After today's oral arguments, Norm Coleman's appeal is in the hands of the Minnesota Supreme Court. We don't know when they'll issue a ruling - but we're confident that our victory, which has withstood so much scrutiny already, will stand once again.

Q: WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE COURT RULES?
    A: A ruling upholding our victory will allow Al to receive the certificate of election and take his seat in the U.S. Senate. However, national Republicans have pledged to do anything they can to block the seating of a 60th Democratic Senator, no matter what the Supreme Court says, so our legal team will continue to protect what we've won. If you'd like to help them do so, please make a contribution today.

Q: HOW ARE AL AND FRANNI DOING?
    A: Al and Franni are incredibly grateful for all the support they've received - and, although they're enjoying being able to eat dinner together a bit more frequently than during the campaign, they're working hard in preparation for their move to Washington. Al is building a staff, receiving policy briefings, and meeting with Democratic leadership so that he can hit the ground running as soon as he's sworn in.

From all of us at TeamFranken, thank you so much for your hard work and your strong support. The victory we won together was close but important, and I know that when Al is seated, he'll be a Senator who makes all of us proud.

Thanks and best wishes,

Stephanie

Stephanie Schriock
    Campaign Manager
    Al Franken for Senate"

I just saw that the blog for Tuesday's show hasn't been cleared for tomorrow yet. I'll TRY to remember to post the message about the one time payment tomorrow.

Popular blog posts

No blog posts. You can add one!

This Week on the
Science Revolution

New rule! Americans are now eating chickens with cancer - Is it healthy?

On the Science Revolution this week - Will the virus stop the Trump Cult the way defeat in WW2 stopped the fascist cult? Also Dr. Michael Mann is with us on how the Trump administration boosts deregulation by undervaluing the cost of climate change. And Tony Corbo drops by- and there's a new rule! Americans are now eating chickens with cancer!.. Is it healthy? He'll let you know. Jenny Harbine informs us on a new lawsuit over Trump handing public land to coal leasing and why we must stop him. And in Geeky Science - School openings? Studies now show young kids could spread COVID-19 as much as older children and adults... Tune In!

Listen Here & Subscribe - The Science Revolution w/Thom Hartmann on Apple Podcasts

Trump's Latest Failure Could Kill 6 million Americans

Thom plus logo Although they haven't yet publicly acknowledged it in such stark terms, it's clear now that the Trump administration has decided pursue a herd immunity strategy to deal with the coronavirus.

Trump's new White House advisor on coronavirus, Scott Atlas, has said it on numerous occasions in multiple venues, and now our Attorney General, Bill Barr, is trying to argue that lockdowns to prevent the spread of the virus are as bad as slavery. Trying to achieve herd immunity in the United States against the coronavirus, assuming it's even possible, would involve between two and 6 million Americans dying.