Recent comments

• Monday & Tuesday June 1 & 2 2009...broadcasting live from "America's Future Now" in Washington, D.C.   11 years 16 weeks ago

Thom,

84 year old Steven was your last caller today. He said he and his wife were expecting checks for their one-time tax cut by the end of May, but they haven't seen their checks yet.

It's my understanding that if they recdeive Social Security, their one time payment will be paid in the same way that their monthly SSI payment is made. So if their SSI payments are deposited directly into their bank accounts, this one time payment will be paid the same way.

So if they get their SSI through direct deposit, they should ckeck their bank accounts to see if the payment was deposited electronically. If they receive their SSI payments in the mail, they should have received their check already.

I don't know how this will be handled if they receive other taxible income.

Maybe you could mention this on tomorrow's show. I'll repost this on the Tuesday blog page as a reminder or in case you don't see this post.

Does anyone know what's going on with Al Franken? We need him on the job now!

Oh, sorry, I forgot that he was electrocuted. How about a robot?

In regard to that breathless female caller, these are the kind of people who one is incapable of having an intellectual conversation with, left or right. It’s always about me, myself and I. Never the big picture. Morality and ethics be damned. She clearly does all her “critical” thinking after the fact; “Call me a baby killer”—hey, whatever you say. I will grant her this, however: this country has a bad habit of waiting for the consequences of bad decisions for doing anything about them.
    In under the radar-under the radar news last week, the Supreme Court rendered a 5-4 decision to allow police to continue to interrogate people even after the presence of an attorney has been requested. This is yet another example of the continuing assault on individual rights by the Court’s current majority. Justice Kennedy, allegedly the “swing” vote on the court, continues to prove that he has no moral or ethical center. Maybe these guys watch too much television; shows like “Law and Order” portray cops and prosecutors who always get their man (it’s always a man) within the first five minutes. They’re never wrong–thus their trampling of civil rights with over-the-top self-righteousness is never called into question. When I was young, there actually were TV shows where individual rights against abuse by the system were paramount; today, the opposite is true—all we have are caricatures according to the latest propaganda and “special victims.”—none of whom ever lie.

In regard to the alleged problem Sonia Sotomayor has in regard to the New Haven fire fighter issue, the complaints almost seems incestuous: it is always some white guy’s son, brother, father, or cousin, as if being a firefighter is an occupation passed down from white father to white son. This is white “privilege” of a sordid sort. I wonder if the token Hispanic who was persuaded into joining the lawsuit realizes that these people could just as easily turn on him. It is interesting to note that most Hispanics in New Haven are Puerto Rican, just like Sotomayor; since she sided against her “ethnicity” in this case in order to see the bigger picture, this should reflect well on her. One-third of the population of New Haven is African-American; the white population has a large Italian-American contingent, and knowing the racist element that exists in that population (see Tom Tancredo, Bensonhurst, et.al) I think bigotry and actual discrimination should not be rewarded.
    I’d also like to note that the evidence against Roland Burris revealed by that phone tap is somewhat laughable. I wonder how many “revealing” details about how politics works we would find equally “damaging” if all lawmakers had their phones tapped. Everyone has their hands in some cookie jar, and what is a campaign contribution from a corporation or a labor group but an attempt to “buy” a candidate?

Anyways, I thought I’d comment on that posting from a listener that Thom read at the close of business on Friday. What came to mind? Umm—sycophantic, icky-poo, sticky-sweet, saccharine, sappy, gushy, corny and otherwise a valentine to Thom’s ego, apparently so fragile it is in need of such reinforcement. At first I was amused, but like with all such consumption of fatty, high-calorie/low-protein content, nausea set in. I’m quite incapable of it myself.

Same as my last post with corrections in my name...

I propose Ted Bundy for the Supreme Court. He has absolutely no empathy for another human being. He’d be perfect!

Barb
    Libertyville, IL

I propose Ted Bundy for the Supreme Court. He has absolutely no empathy for another human being. He'd be perfect!

Barb
    Libertyville, IL

• May 25th 2009 - Monday   11 years 16 weeks ago

In under the radar-under the radar news last week, the Supreme Court rendered a 5-4 decision to allow police to continue to interrogate people even after the presence of an attorney has been requested. This is yet another example of the continuing assault on individual rights by the Court’s current majority. Justice Kennedy, allegedly the “swing” vote on the court, continues to prove that he has no moral or ethical center. Maybe these guys watch too much television; shows like “Law and Order” portray cops and prosecutors who always get their man (it’s always a man) within the first five minutes. They’re never wrong--thus their trampling of civil rights with over-the-top self-righteousness is never called into question. When I was young, there actually were TV shows where individual rights against abuse by the system were paramount; today, the opposite is true—all we have are charicatures according to the latest propaganda and “special victims.”—none of whom ever lie.
    In regard to the the alleged problem Sonia Sotomayor has in regard to the New Haven fire fighter issue, the complaints almost seems incestuous: it is always some white guy’s son, brother, father, or cousin, as if being a firefighter is an occupation passed down from white father to white son. This is white “privilege” of a sordid sort. I wonder if the token Hispanic in the lawsuit realizes that these people could just as easily turn on him. It is interesting to note that most Hispanics in New Haven are Puerto Rican, just like Sotomayor; since she sided against her “ethnicity” in this case in order to see the bigger picture, this should reflect well on her.
    One-third of the population of New Haven is African-American; the white population has a large Italian-American contingent, and knowing the racist element that exists in that population (see Tom Tancredo, Bensonhurst, et.al) I think bigotry should not be rewarded. Or arrogance, for that matter; at the airport, the white fire fighters, whenever they decide to leave their compound, like to offer contemptuous remarks about people not like them. The problem is, the people they disparage are actually doing something resembling hard work, while they themselves rarely do anything useful unless some jett fueler accidentally spills something on the ramp.
    There was an incident that occurred in Republican Kent that has also troubled me. A few years ago there was a fire in the downtown area, which burned out two Hispanic businesses; apparently a crew repairing the roof of the building they were located in placed down hot tar which started the fire. I heard about the fire a few hours after it occurred, and decided to take a look for myself. What I saw gave new meaning to word “containment.” The part of the block-long building where the Hispanic businesses were located was completed gutted; the side of the wall to the rest of the building that directly abutted these establishments barely appeared to be singed. Across the street, patrons of some redneck bar were speaking disparagingly of the “Mexicans.” Two firefighters who happened to be there seemed to be amused by the whole scene; when I walked past them I said “You let this happen, didn’t you?” But of course that can’t be true.

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

On the front page of today's Sunday NYTimes, a headline reads "Industry Fears U.S. May Quit New Car Habit - Is Slump Now Norm for G.M. and Chrysler?" I want to scream back: "As long as good jobs and a livable wage are not the NORM in the U.S., people will not have money to spend on new cars!"

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

Ken Lay's heart attack was quite remarkable for a man that could have had an ambulance on staff and a cardiac surgeon if needed for a man of his means. I know he was in jail, but give me a break . Yasser Araafat---most likely poisen, the Russians use poisen too------radioactive. Deregulate was, in Thom's words, spot on. W always refered to his bud as Kenny Boy. Just old buds when it's cool, but when the shit hits the fan, anyoneone can have a heart attack.

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

GAAP - Generally Accepted Accounting Principles are industry/academic standards and have happy horse hockey to do with the government . . .

OMG! I just revealed that I'm an accounting/finance dude . . .

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

I was listening to an OLD podcast (September or October 2007) where Thom interviewed Daniel Brook about his book, "The Trap: Selling Out to Stay Afloat in Winner-Take-All America" and wanted to suggest that folk pull it off their shelves and give it a re-read.

It will get your blood pumping and your ire up . . .

Richard Adlof,

Right! If I only knew then what I know now. Oh well, you do the best you can at the time.

On the other hand, I tell my son that some of the best saints came from the worst sinners...

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

as a progressives i stand up for truth and justice. this is what gives me such great joy and fortune in my life. i do not follow anyone blindly be it in my religous belief, my politics, and any thing else in my life. i live with total freedom on the side of truth and justice.

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

FRAG Party politics! We are the owners o' the government and NEED to take back the wheels of government.

If only I hadn't so misspent my youth in such a wild and wooly manner . . . Wait! That worked for Andrew Jackson . . . Hmmmmm.

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

Advice for President Obama from a song by Jerry Riopel, "Let the strength of your words, come from your deeds"

• May 28th 2009 Thursday   11 years 16 weeks ago

Hey- I am with Louis the Truck Driver. In addition to the list you ran off today, yesterday I am heard reports that Obama is buidling some embassy the size of Bush's in Iraq- in Pakistan???

Can you de bunk? I hope this can be debunked, I have not the time to run this down.

Great job with David- listen to how ill informed and or misinformed these people are.!

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

Hi Thom - Please, ask Bernie to tighten G.A.A.P. standards. Currently, a company can report huge profits to Shareholders and simultaneously report huge losses to the IRS. Under current standards: Both statements are perfectly legal.

Get Tough on Crime measure - we should institute a formula for financial crimes. If a person can get 10 years for stealing $1,000 in a robbery, then that should be the formula: 10 years for every $1,000 ---- Charles Keating would still be in jail. Ken Lay would be in jail and his assets seized (his 'death' protected all his assets). I bet he found a homeless guy that looked like him and put him in the casket.

• May 25th 2009 - Monday   11 years 16 weeks ago

• A letter from a Republican to Thom   11 years 16 weeks ago

Here is is...Best, Thom

Thom,

For over 25 years, I was a registered Republican, listened to RUSH, Hannity, et al, and pretty much was lock step with the conservative platform with a few minor exceptions such as religion and other social issues. I believed that fiscal conservatism and responsibilities were the platforms for my party and personal responsibility and freedom were better supported by the Republican party.

Then came W. When George W sent us into Iraq, I remember exactly where I was and I shook my head in disbelief because I knew we were doing the wrong thing. The following 7 years made it very difficult for me to continue reconciling my personal beliefs with the party I thought I belonged to.

Enter Barak Obama. During the primaries, I remember actually telling someone that I was afraid of Barak Obama. I didn’t know a thing about him. His name was scary to me. (I am ashamed to admit this). After reading Mr. Obama’s life story and listening to his ideas and the eloquence with which he articulated them, I had a sudden change of heart. This led me on a journey which included “Commanding Heights” (the documentary from PBS which superbly explains the history of our 2 parties), listening to programs like yours and watching MSNBC on a regular basis. By the time the election got here, I was a 100% converted. I was in shock that I could have been a Republican ever to begin with.

A word of caution: This all leads me to the reason for my Email to you. I have been listening to some of your callers who are afraid that President Obama is a Manchurian candidate, etc. The truth of the matter (as I see it) is that it is very difficult, if not impossible to accomplish anything major in our system without some balance and moderation. That is what I love about President Obama thus far. His wisdom and intelligence are noticeably remarkable. I believe that being able to negotiate and invite your opponents to the table is vital to success as a politician and I am very grateful that we have this in our current President. I have found that your program and the way you express your views is quite consistent with my own.

Thank you for sharing your life with us the way you do. May you be successful and prosperous.

Don, CA

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

Check out this veteran's group with Michael Pollan and Pat Tillman's Mother!

Mission statement
    The mission of the Farmer-Veteran Coalition is to mobilize our food and farming community to create healthy and viable futures for America’s veterans by enlisting their help in building our green economy, rebuilding our rural communities, and securing a safe and healthy food supply for all.

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

It looks like people in general aren't angry enough yet over health care to call for a public option. Even a "million-man march" on Washington isn't enough to force change.

I hope I am cynical and wrong.

This is the message I just sent to NE's Nelson & Johans. Thanks Mena
    Taxing health insurance benefits puts the health care burden on working Americans and should not be passed. When 70% of Americans want a CHOICE between public health care or private health care, it should be an option. There are millions of Americans that the insurance industry won't insure or are under insured and there should be an option for them. Competition is good except in the health industry? If our present system is so great, why is it we are rated 37 behind many third world nations?

We have a single payer plan now and that is Medicare. Why not allow those with no insurance or who are under insured join Medicare? Most Nebraskans are self employed, insurance premiums in Nebraska in the past five years have increased by 69% while salary increases were 29%. It is time you put Nebraskans first. Please pass legislation to allow those who need it to join Medicare.

Mena Sprague. 844 20th Ave, Saint Paul, NE 68873
    308 754 4901

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

Along with Ravi Batra's rather discouraging predictions this week is a story by Floyd Norris in today's NYTimes:

"High & Low FinanceCredit Relief May Not Last Long"

"

Bailouts and government spending do appear to have warded off Great Depression II, but the current government-supported financial system may not be enough to do much more than keep the economy breathing. In the words of Mr. Kaufman, whose prescient warnings of credit market excesses in recent years were largely ignored by Wall Street, “we do not have the financial firing power to lift this economy in any meaningful way.”

If he is right, the end of the current recession is unlikely to produce much of a recovery."

growin,

You are expressing my fears. I keep watching with hope that I am wrong.

• May 29th Friday   11 years 16 weeks ago

Speaking of news under the radar:
    Now we can be questioned by police without a lawyer present, and apparently the Obama administration asked for this. I am starting to believe he is a carefully crafted product (maybe a cyborg) designed to induce warm, fuzzy feelings of hope to keep us calm, while systematically continuing the corporate privatization of our govenment. The only reason they have let him make some better environmental decisions is because they have realized they won't even have a planet left to control if they keep on polluting.

Popular blog posts

No blog posts. You can add one!

This Week on the
Science Revolution

New rule! Americans are now eating chickens with cancer - Is it healthy?

On the Science Revolution this week - Will the virus stop the Trump Cult the way defeat in WW2 stopped the fascist cult? Also Dr. Michael Mann is with us on how the Trump administration boosts deregulation by undervaluing the cost of climate change. And Tony Corbo drops by- and there's a new rule! Americans are now eating chickens with cancer!.. Is it healthy? He'll let you know. Jenny Harbine informs us on a new lawsuit over Trump handing public land to coal leasing and why we must stop him. And in Geeky Science - School openings? Studies now show young kids could spread COVID-19 as much as older children and adults... Tune In!

Listen Here & Subscribe - The Science Revolution w/Thom Hartmann on Apple Podcasts

Trump's Latest Failure Could Kill 6 million Americans

Thom plus logo Although they haven't yet publicly acknowledged it in such stark terms, it's clear now that the Trump administration has decided pursue a herd immunity strategy to deal with the coronavirus.

Trump's new White House advisor on coronavirus, Scott Atlas, has said it on numerous occasions in multiple venues, and now our Attorney General, Bill Barr, is trying to argue that lockdowns to prevent the spread of the virus are as bad as slavery. Trying to achieve herd immunity in the United States against the coronavirus, assuming it's even possible, would involve between two and 6 million Americans dying.