Easter

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

3 posts / 0 new

As a Christian, every year I either read or watch, in some form, the Passion Story about the betrayal, prosecution and death of Jesus. It wasn't until this year that I noticed Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, John Boener, Mitch McConnel, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh were amongst the crowd yelling Crusify Him, Crusify Him, Crusify Him. !!!

desert fox's picture
desert fox

Comments

Well said...

LeMoyne's picture
LeMoyne

I went to seminary because of a church that supported the work of Caesar Chavez before anyone knew who he was. That and three generations of Presbyterian clergy helped me see what was good in this tradition. But living in Southern California exposed me to just about everything that was bad about it as well. Social justice is the biblical ethic.

The Bible does not focus on personal problems with judgment. We are received with unearned forgiveness and grace when we own up to who we are and the moral implications of our being. It is the abuse of power over others that the Bible judges with severity.

The story of Easter is filled with irony. "The powers and principalities of this world" are revealed as the true authority of the universe asserts itself. Caesar is only lord of the secular. The guy on the cross is the real thing.

This is the politics of Liberation Theology where the whole point is the unreality of domination. What is wrong is not right. It is out of harmony and balance with reality. It is short on humanity. That is what morality is really all about.

DRC's picture
DRC

Has Capitalism and The GOP Destroyed Religion?

Thom plus logo The number of Americans who called them selves Christian or religious has declined precipitously over the last decade, and the number of Americans who are "unaffiliated Christians", atheists, or unconcerned about religion or spirituality has increased.